• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

japtor

gonna have to look up how to do this on my Mac pronto. I can't wait to see what my DLSR pictures look like on this thing. hnnnnnnng
I think you need the latest iPhoto, possibly Lion on top of that. In iPhoto prefs is the photo stream option, might have to turn on the iCloud stuff in Lion's system prefs too.
Probably next iPad I would buy after this one would be the haptic one.

Also what word doc app do you guys use?

I've bought iA Writer but don't like the margins/lack of options.
Also bought Writings which is alright but not in love with it.
I use Pages, although it depends what your requirements are. The iWork stuff is kind of annoying when it comes to getting files in and out but otherwise I like them. Other people like the other office apps out there.
Text despite being automatically better across the board still isn't nearly as sharp in the Kindle app as iBooks due to lack of retina. I assume Amazon will go retina but who knows when.
They probably had some custom drawing routine going on which would explain why they didn't just get the free high res text rendering.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
"A four hour loop of HD video continuously playing – with email, Twitter and other updates being pulled in over LTE in the background – saw the new iPad’s battery drop from 70-percent to 51-percent. Extrapolating from that rate, the tablet could last more than 20 hours"

From the Slash Gear review. Wow this would be amazing.

what sort of half-assed logic is this? can't they just run a full test

I think you need the latest iPhoto, possibly Lion on top of that. In iPhoto prefs is the photo stream option, might have to turn on the iCloud stuff in Lion's system prefs too..

I have both of those (Lion + iPhoto) but...you know what? I've never used iPhoto. Just never got into it because I'm so used to managing my own photo files and editing them in PS when necessary on my PCs, I just never tried it.

I will now.

what sort of half-assed logic is this? can't they just run a full test
GOTTA GET DA REVIEW OUT!!!

japtor

In case anyone missed it, one of the reviews confirmed the iPhone apps showing at their retina resolution.

...just keep in mind iPhone retina is 1x size on the iPad retina screen.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
In case anyone missed it, one of the reviews confirmed the iPhone apps showing at their retina resolution.

I don't understand what you just said. What do you mean 1x size?

jts

...hate me...

That's very good news.

I don't understand what you just said. What do you mean 1x size?
Even if iPhone-only apps now run at 960x640, that's just the 1x size of iPhone emulation on the new iPad. On the previous ones it'd be the 2x size.

Any reviews out there yet said anything about playing iphone games on the new ipad? will it use iphone retina resolutions? The ipad 2 never did unless you jailbroke.

*edit* ah so they do, I am glad about that even if they will look tiny lol

japtor

Even if iPhone-only apps now run at 960x640, that's just the 1x size of iPhone emulation on the new iPad. On the previous ones it'd be the 2x size.
Yeah this, the small window in the middle is iPhone retina screen resolution. You still have to pixel double to fill the screen, so it'll look better than before (like RetinaPad) but it'll look worse than native.

Bruiserk

That's very good news.

That means it's the same size. Maybe what you are looking for is 0.5x the size, or something along those lines.

edit: looking at that picture below, it makes sense. I thought we were talking pure numbers, but nevermind.

zJ0Iu.png

Image is 50% resized so it's not stupidly big on the forum

dream

Meh. All these reviews are child's play. Anandtech will show you guys what's up.

Yes, and we'll only have to wait till May to read it.

(Ars' reviews are pretty great too. Especially if Casey gets to do the video review.)

Juice

If you're having it shipped to your home and you're going to be away from home for a few hours and are willing to /crossfingers that no one's going to steal your ipads, remember you can pre-authorize by signing a print out from http://apple.com/orderstatus

jts

...hate me...
Just want to say that was the first review I've ever read on The Verge and it was fantastic. How long have those guys been around?

Since thisismynext ^_^

That means it's the same size. Maybe what you are looking for is 0.5x the size, or something along those lines.

edit: looking at that picture below, it makes sense. I thought we were talking pure numbers, but nevermind.

appletabletb317_01.jpg

Check this shot and that button on the right bottom corner. 1x just refers to the iPhone app running in a native 1:1 pixel perfect mode, press 2x and the app is upscaled to double its resolution.

On the iPad 1 and 2, 1x means 480x320 native, 2x 960x640 (upscaled).
On the new iPad 1x means, if the iPhone app supports retina of course, 960x640 native. In 2x it will be upscaled to 1920x1280.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Check this shot and that button on the right bottom corner. 1x just refers to the iPhone app running in a native 1:1 pixel perfect mode, press 2x and the app is upscaled to double its resolution.

On the iPad 1 and 2, 1x means 480x320 native, 2x 960x640 (upscaled).
On the new iPad 1x means, if the iPhone app supports retina of course, 960x640 native. In 2x it will be upscaled to 1920x1280.

can anyone use Apple Math™ to determine how far away you'll need to hold it without it looking like shit?

jts

...hate me...
I'm wondering though if a non-retina iPhone-only app will run at the native 480x320 (lol tiny apps) and if it can be upscaled up to 4x its resolution to fill the iPad screen, which would be amusing.

jts

...hate me...
can anyone use Apple Math™ to determine how far away you'll need to hold it without it looking like shit?
A native 960x640 app should look good in full-screen on a 9.7" display, even if it's upscaled. Non-retina quality, of course, but much better than how iPhone apps looked on previous iPads.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
reviews wise, No one will match Verge. Benchmarkwise, Anandtech wins by default

The Verge wins when it comes to poorly edited, flowery prose. Anand's reviews are far more detailed while being more economical in form. I vastly prefer their hardware reviews to the other review sites.

The new iPad looks like a killer. Glad I ordered mine, though I'm contemplating swapping models for one with an LTE radio. What would be the best protocol for that considering that my order will be waiting for me at home on Friday? Should I try bringing it to an Apple store the next day? Can I pay for the difference or would it have to be a return first and be at mercy of whatever is left in stock?

VPhys

Haha, I sold an iPad to a Chinese man last year on craigslist.
He just texted me a year later out of no where asking if I will be getting more iPad 3s on the 16th.
This is hilarious, he was a really nice guy but I only sold him one ipad last year so I don't know why he chose to save my number.

LOL that's great.

The Verge wins when it comes to poorly edited, flowery prose. Anand's reviews are far more detailed while being more economical in form. I vastly prefer their hardware reviews to the other review sites.

The new iPad looks like a killer. Glad I ordered mine, though I'm contemplating swapping models for one with an LTE radio. What would be the best protocol for that considering that my order will be waiting for me at home on Friday? Should I try bringing it to an Apple store the next day? Can I pay for the difference or would it have to be a return first and be at mercy of whatever is left in stock?

personally, I'd wait a few days. maybe schedule a Genius Bar appointment.

elfinke

I rang a local electronic store (Dick Smith Electronics for AusGAF) at lunch time to see if they were getting any stock of the new iPad tomorrow. They said 'we are, but we don't know how many of what, so come in at 9am if you like'.

Handy :/

Looks like I'm starting work late tomorrow to see if I can nab 2 though. Then I guess I can cancel my online order easily enough yeah? It's still stuck in 'processing' delivery due 23rd.

Top Bottom