• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Sean

Banned
Those Verizon LTE speed tests are insane, definitely makes me want to switch over from AT&T.

I'm wondering how well those speeds will hold up though after the onslaught of iPad (and soon, iPhone) users swarm their network.

Those Verizon LTE speed tests are insane, definitely makes me want to switch over from AT&T.

I'm wondering how well those speeds will hold up though after the onslaught of iPad (and soon, iPhone) users swarm their network.

since contracts are pay-as-you-go, I don't see why who your current cell phone carrier matters.

Muskweeto

Just found out I have Friday off, I hope the package comes early so I can spend the day playing with my new horribly expensive toy.

Teddman

Why do people still use AirVideo? Aren't there a bunch of apps now that play or stream all movie formats without need of a computer server?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Why do people still use AirVideo? Aren't there a bunch of apps now that play or stream all movie formats without need of a computer server?
Yeah, I use BuzzPlayer HD which works with any format off my NAS, no re-encoding required.

Im curious of this. I have the now defunct VLC on my one account but wont have it on the new ipad. Buzzplayer hd is similiar? Any others. Dont want to stream but add the files to the app like VLC

mrkgoo

For some reason, I downloaded an iPad 3 screencap.

Opened at full size, the NARROW end of the screen cannot fit on the WIDE end of my computer. :0 yeah, it was expected, but to see it in person..... my how far we've come.

From here on out, displays should bear no pixels. It's the future and the future is....two days away.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
So my iPad is in Sydney currently. Hopefully it gets to my local area over night. Don't want to wait till Monday.
Which is why a Friday launch kinda sucks.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I'm excited for LTE! I'm in a neighborhood with the worst technology penetration in toronto so I might get some craaaazy speeds :>

(Hopefully near the 120 Mbps Rogers offers *crosses fingers*

Ollie Pooch

Im curious of this. I have the now defunct VLC on my one account but wont have it on the new ipad. Buzzplayer hd is similiar? Any others. Dont want to stream but add the files to the app like VLC
I think there's AVPlayer HD also. They're all pretty similar - I think that allows local files too (Buzz definitely does).

I shouldn't be this fucking excited to simply TRY the new iPad in the Apple Store Friday, but I am. Somehow, Apple is consistently able to truly impress and create a sense of awe in even the most cynical and jaded tech writers.

From theVerge:

Yes, this display is outrageous. It's stunning. It's incredible. I'm not being hyperbolic or exaggerative when I say it is easily the most beautiful computer display I have ever looked at. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that you hold this in your hands, or maybe it's the technology that Apple is utilizing, or maybe it's the responsiveness of iOS — but there's something almost bizarre about how good this screen is. After the launch event, I described the screen as "surreal," and I still think that's a pretty good fit.

You literally can't see pixels on the iPad's display when you hold it at a regular distance, and even up close you have to really inspect the thing to see dots. For rendered text or high resolution images, it just looks otherworldly; like a glowing piece of paper. There were moments when I was testing the device when I would just marvel at a single paragraph of text, or I kept zooming in and out on a particular headline to see how cleanly fonts are rendered on this screen.

The display is so high resolution that it can actually be distracting in some ways. I began to notice just how low in quality and resolution graphics can look in certain apps and web pages. I even started making a list of graphic elements we need to update on The Verge.

As with any kind of screen technology, it really is the kind of thing you have to see in person. When you compare the old iPad to the new one, or to any other tablet for that matter, you'll start to wonder how you were ever able to look at anything else. I'm not saying that the screen alone is reason enough to buy this product, especially if you've got a tablet you're happy with right now, but I do think the quality of this display could make you a sudden convert. It's just really, really good.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Don't worry guys, I won't come in here and brag when Australia gets it first. :p

numble

SunSpider benchmarks (avg 2 runs):
iPhone 4S: 2242
iPad 2: 1806
iPad (3): 1653
https://twitter.com/#!/gruber/status/180170435730747392

For reference:
qQZnj.png

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Hey, we just updated one of our games with retina support on iPad (many thanks to the guys at PikPok for making this possible) - Monsters Ate My Condo. Update available now!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/monsters-ate-my-condo/id459489208?mt=8

/plug

Joe and E'van were the main guys behind this, working through the weekend to get it done.

Thanks to Adult Swim QA and Apple (and our QA) for the quick turnaround on testing and approvals too.

Look forward to actually seeing the game on an actual iPad Retina display somewhere in the distant future when we can actually get one.

Ollie Pooch

Don't worry guys, I won't come in here and brag when Australia gets it first. :p
I want to be cocky too, but I've put my name down with David Jones and I just know something's gonna go wrong :p

"Oh, you wanted a NEW ipad?"

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I really want one of these. But I don't need one. So... No. Must resist. Especially since I just bought a Macbook Pro a month ago, haha.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It also works if you're computer is set up to add your other photos to Photostream, so when you connect a DSLR or whatever to load photos on your computer, they are added to Photostream (and thus added to your iPad).

all of them? I wouldn't want to waste the bandwidth uploading/downloading lots of photos that I just imported from my dslr. At least half will get deleted, others will need editing

Now if there was a way to have an automatically updating stream of edited photos - eg marked as >3 star in iphoto/aperture, then that would be more useful for me

So, I got lucky and still managed to get this case for $22.50 (half off) just after their promotion had ended. Does anyone have any experience with or impressions of Maroo's cases? The only real downside I can see is the lack of viewing angles (if you'd really need more than two ways to prop it up).

mrklaw

MrArseFace

To handle transcoding into an apple friendly format, so it can be decoded with hardware support rather than CPU, which might run the battery down more quickly

numble

all of them? I wouldn't want to waste the bandwidth uploading/downloading lots of photos that I just imported from my dslr. At least half will get deleted, others will need editing

Now if there was a way to have an automatically updating stream of edited photos - eg marked as >3 star in iphoto/aperture, then that would be more useful for me
You can disable automatic uploading and manually transfer photos to Photostream. Photostream then acts like another folder/album. I don't know enough about iPhoto/Aperture to know whether you can do something like iTunes Smart Playlists and set rules for what photos get sent to Photostream.

Hey Guys, I love my momma so much that I pre-ordered a 3rd Gen iPad, White, 16GB Wifi

Can you guys recommend me a good durable case for her to use? My mom really wants an iPad because her iPhone is too small for her to read, so she reads a larger display.

pubba

Fuck sake.. I called JB HI FI today to confirm my reserve on a 32GB iPad3 for tomorrow and got a new staff member who gave me the 'We don't do reservations and we don't even have any stock yet'. I called his bluff though because I spoke to the IT manager of the store yesterday who confirmed that stock had already arrived! Then the new guy sort of ummed and ahhed and said it's first in, best dressed..

So hopefully the IT manager was serious when he said that I had one on hold for tomorrow morning.

Otherwise, I also have one reserved at Harvey Norman (maybe!) and the local Big W store has 5 of each model sitting in the stockroom ready for tomorrow morning. The girl I spoke to there said to wait in the morning for them to open.

So I have 3 chances of MAYBE owning a new iPad tomorrow..

VPhys

Will I be able to use a camera connection kit to circumvent the limited storage on the 16gb iPad?

i.e. Can I load an SD card with movies and use the camera connection kit to move those movies freely between the iPad and SD card? Basically I'm trying to find a more affordable way to get storage for the ipad, instead of shelling out an extra $100 for 16GB or an extra $200 for 48GB.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I want to be cocky too, but I've put my name down with David Jones and I just know something's gonna go wrong :p

"Oh, you wanted a NEW ipad?"

Sounds like something they would do. I'll be in line at the Apple Store as per usual .-.

Top Bottom