• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Gowans

On launch are the iPads only going to be only available in the apple stores on launch or other stores that also sell iPads are getting them?

numble

Apple has a lottery system here instead of waiting in lines. Looks like I didn't win the raffle today.

I will still go in tomorrow to check them out.

CougRon

Just checked my ship tracking and my ipad has apparently left the fedex origin facility. I suppose it's possible it will arrive tomorrow, (having it sent to work) but I'm not holding my breath.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Will I be able to use a camera connection kit to circumvent the limited storage on the 16gb iPad?

i.e. Can I load an SD card with movies and use the camera connection kit to move those movies freely between the iPad and SD card? Basically I'm trying to find a more affordable way to get storage for the ipad, instead of shelling out an extra $100 for 16GB or an extra $200 for 48GB.

That won't work. You could upload them to Dropbox and use the Dropbox app to view them.

Edit: Or there's this

Or this

123rl

trophy.png

mrklaw

MrArseFace
On launch are the iPads only going to be only available in the apple stores on launch or other stores that also sell iPads are getting them?

seems like a much wider availability than last time. Currys, comet, PC World, John Lewis and Argos seem to have at least some stocks.

VPhys

That won't work. You could upload them to Dropbox and use the Dropbox app to view them.

Edit: Or there's this

Or this

Thanks for the help, but I'm just trying to get get my head around this. Why, in fact, won't it work.

This is from apple's own sight:

The iPad Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera: using your camera’s USB cable or directly from an SD card. iPad and the Camera Connection Kit support standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW, along with SD and HD video formats, including H.264 and MPEG-4

Where would I run into a problem?

Just ordered a Booq Agenda & Jot stylus. Should be here Friday.

Had an Incase Magazine case on my iPad 2 so this'll be a bit different, usage wise. Hurry up, Friday.

Gowans

seems like a much wider availability than last time. Currys, comet, PC World, John Lewis and Argos seem to have at least some stocks.

Hot, I'll hit up my local Carphone Warehouse tomorrow morning then. They are closest and sell the old one. Fingers crossed

MasLegio

Banned
these apps were just updated with retinagraphics. Postupdate size (Preupdate size)

Galaxy On Fire 2 HD. 519 mb (291,7 mb)
Sketchbook Pro for iPad (autodesk). 34,6 mb (15,6 mb)

though monsters ate my condo did not increase that much. From 25,3 mb to 30,9 mb

cvxfreak

Can someone tell me about getting an iPad 4G working on Verizon? I'm getting a Japanese 4G unit with a GSM carrier (Softbank). Can I go to the U.S., remove the Softbank SIM and get a month's service? I don't think Verizon uses SIM cards, so I'm not familiar with the process myself of choosing between AT&T and Verizon.

The unlocked iPhone 4S is also apparently not compatible with Verizon, another reason why I ask.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Thanks for the help, but I'm just trying to get get my head around this. Why, in fact, won't it work.

This is from apple's own site:

I have the CCK, and it's great for importing your photos, but it doesn't function as an external drive. You pop it in, stick in your SD card or camera and it opens up a photo importer. You select what you want to import and whether to keep the photos on your card/camera and that's it. I assume the external drives I linked to have some sort of file manager software installed on them that runs when the device is connected.

Apple has a lottery system here instead of waiting in lines. Looks like I didn't win the raffle today.

I will still go in tomorrow to check them out.

Where is this? I've never heard of Apple stores doing a lottery. I've been to a ton of product launches and we've always had to line up. Lottery system seems like a cluster fuck.

japtor

This is from apple's own sight:

1) It might have to follow the digital camera folder structure and naming schemes, so it might not be as simple as just dumping some videos on a SD card and being good to go.
2) The key part in that blurb you missed was "import". Not sure if anything has changed, but last I messed with it you had to copy stuff from the card to the iPad first to view, other than thumbnails at least. And you can't write stuff back out the card.

So if the iPad was full of videos and the SD card was full of different videos, to watch something off the card you'd have to delete stuff from the iPad then import from SD. If you watched everything you'd basically end up with a full iPad and nothing on the card, with however many videos deleted and nowhere anymore.

This is why those other things exist basically. Well that and jailbreak stuff I think, but who knows if that's ready for the new iPad or when it'll be ready.

VPhys

1) It might have to follow the digital camera folder structure and naming schemes, so it might not be as simple as just dumping some videos on a SD card and being good to go.
2) The key part in that blurb you missed was "import". Not sure if anything has changed, but last I messed with it you had to copy stuff from the card to the iPad first to view, other than thumbnails at least. And you can't write stuff back out the card.

So if the iPad was full of videos and the SD card was full of different videos, to watch something off the card you'd have to delete stuff from the iPad then import from SD. If you watched everything you'd basically end up with a full iPad and nothing on the card, with however many videos deleted and nowhere anymore.

This is why those other things exist basically. Well that and jailbreak stuff I think, but who knows if that's ready for the new iPad or when it'll be ready.

Gotcha, and the HyperDrive looks awesome but it's also insanely expensive. It kind of negates the idea of getting more space cheaper. Most people are better off just buying the 64GB ipad, unless you need allot of storage (>100GB), then it begins to make sense.

pubba

Sketchbook Pro for iPad (autodesk). 34,6 mb (15,6 mb)

Yes! This is my most used app on iPad.

I've decided to run the 2nd tier Australian apple retailer gauntlet tomorrow.

• Sit in Mc Donalds drinking their foul coffee from around 7am, keeping an eye on the entrance to my local Big W (that have confirmed stock: 5 of each variant). They open at 8.30am
  • If that fails, next stop: JB HI FI that are (apparently) holding one for me. They open at 9am
  • If JB HI FI fails, next stop: Harvey Norman where they are (apparently) also holding one for me.

If all the above fail.. fml

PaulLFC

Mine is shipped and in transit now. Although the Syncreon site says my delivery estimate is the 13th March!
Mine too. It's apparently in Birmingham now.

Your order will probably be delivered by someone else, not Syncreon. Try the order number in a few courier sites, mine is being delivered by UKMail, who appear to be holding it until tomorrow.

123rl

Mine too. It's apparently in Birmingham now.

Your order will probably be delivered by someone else, not Syncreon. Try the order number in a few courier sites, mine is being delivered by UKMail, who appear to be holding it until tomorrow.

I tried UKMail, Yodel, HDNL, UPS, and Parcel2Go. My tracking number doesn't work for any of them. Where did you find out your order was with UK Mail?

PaulLFC

I tried UKMail, Yodel, HDNL, UPS, and Parcel2Go. My tracking number doesn't work for any of them. Where did you find out your order was with UK Mail?
I read on another forum that someone's iPhone order from Syncreon was delivered by UKMail, so I just tried the order number in there (the one beginning with 81, not whichever other number Syncreon require for their tracker) and it worked. If that doesn't work you could try DPD, but I don't think Apple use them, which is a shame.

watuh.png

This what my Syncreon tracking says. Now in my experience... when something is 'out for delivery'... it always arrives on that day.

Should I be excited?

123rl

I read on another forum that someone's iPhone order from Syncreon was delivered by UKMail, so I just tried the order number in there (the one beginning with 81, not whichever other number Syncreon require for their tracker) and it worked. If that doesn't work you could try DPD, but I don't think Apple use them, which is a shame.

Thanks. It worked on UK Mail...it didn't work when I tried it earlier lol

Actually, anyone got a link for Syncreon? Their website is a disaster.

https://seal.syncreon.com/synview-o...ESSIONID=FE5FCAA3-338F-D1AD-11E1-6E9410796AE4

So now that reviews are out; whats the consensus on iPad 2 cases (hardback) fitting on the new iPad?
I asked Nuu directly, they just sent me this email:
Unfortunately, the existing BaseCase for iPad 2 will not fit onto the new iPad. While 0.6mm seems negligible, the mould is made exactly to the iPad’s specs and the rigid nature of the case doesn’t allow for any variation in size.
I'm still gonna try it though. :p

PaulLFC

watuh.png

This what my Syncreon tracking says. Now in my experience... when something is 'out for delivery'... it always arrives on that day.

Should I be excited?
No sadly. Mine said that (has now updated again to "Arrive Terminal" at Birmingham).

It'll be delivered by someone else, probably UKMail. Try the order number on their website and it should give you details. Mine is going to be delivered tomorrow apparently. Been "Awaiting collection" since 7:51 this morning.

That link is dead. Even cutting it down doesn't work. Sigh. Cheers anyway :)
http://syncreon.com/index.php?id=93

123rl

That's weird. It still works for me but it's very slow. I just tried again and it didn't work then it was fine a few seconds later. Refresh that shit non-stop until it works

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Thing was driven past my house at some point...from Middletown PA to Newark NJ...those fuckers!

Surely they can feel my desires and would have known that they just HAD to drop off a package before they kept going.

God...DAMNIT

No sadly. Mine said that (has now updated again to "Arrive Terminal" at Birmingham).

It'll be delivered by someone else, probably UKMail. Try the order number on their website and it should give you details. Mine is going to be delivered tomorrow apparently. Been "Awaiting collection" since 7:51 this morning.
Ahhhh right on cue, mine just changed to that too. And it's showing up on UKMail for delivery tomorrow.

Welp... 'shit on lock-down' indeed.

Pkaz01

Thing was driven past my house at some point...from Middletown PA to Newark NJ...those fuckers!

Surely they can feel my desires and would have known that they just HAD to drop off a package before they kept going.

God...DAMNIT

At least yours is in the country.. mine hasn't moved from canada since the day I got my shipping email. just says future delivery requested.

God...DAMNIT

Mine is still in Louisville, KY. That's like six hours away. I was still holding out that I could get it a day early :(

MasLegio

Banned
anyone knows when preorders for 23 march for part of rest of the world will open?

also Apple appears to have more delivery options in Sweden. Have they added UPS?

Top Bottom