• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Zeth

Mine is on the move. It's on.

The thing I'm most looking forward to is running normal non-retina iPad apps/games and comparing them to the iPad 2 side by side. I have a feeling they won't look too bad. It's just going to be the retina home screen that creates a stark contrast in fidelity.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Hi commish. Mine shipped 3 days ago but the tracking number still isn't in UPS' system. What do you make of that, commish?

I think you just wasted your money on a big ipod touch.

Also, gaming on an ipad sucks. There's no buttons. Who wants to play 99 cent throwaway games?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I think you just wasted your money on a big ipod touch.

Also, gaming on an ipad sucks. There's no buttons. Who wants to play 99 cent throwaway games?

KrIet.gif

I preordered a wifi only iPad. After reading some reviews, I'm kind of on the fence as to whether I should have gotten a Verizon LTE one. I know I have 14 days to return or exchange it with Apple, but does anyone know if I would have a problem doing so if I open the wifi only one tomorrow, or do I need to keep it sealed while I make my decision?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I preordered a wifi only iPad. After reading some reviews, I'm kind of on the fence as to whether I should have gotten a Verizon LTE one. I know I have 14 days to return or exchange it with Apple, but does anyone know if I would have a problem doing so if I open the wifi only one tomorrow, or do I need to keep it sealed while I make my decision?

Why do you want to get the LTE version? I have the wifi version of the iPad2 and rarely regret it. I use it either at home or work, both places have wifi. If I need to use it when I don't have wifi, I use my phone as a hotspot. But that has rarely happened so far. Everyone's use is different, so you might need LTE, just wondering what is making you regret wifi only.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ups/fedex could make a small fortune offering a premium tracking service. Pay $10 and you get the exact location of where your iPad is in the warehouse including aisle and pallet number. Also a webcam feed pointing roughly in the direction of it, live gps tracking on google maps, and a live stream of what's playing on your drivers radio

sfedai0

Banned
Ups/fedex could make a small fortune offering a premium tracking service. Pay $10 and you get the exact location of where your iPad is in the warehouse including aisle and pallet number. Also a webcam feed pointing roughly in the direction of it, live gps tracking on google maps, and a live stream of what's playing on your drivers radio

Would also like to add the option of texting to the driver to pick up some grub cause I'll be too busy.

Why do you want to get the LTE version? I have the wifi version of the iPad2 and rarely regret it. I use it either at home or work, both places have wifi. If I need to use it when I don't have wifi, I use my phone as a hotspot. But that has rarely happened so far. Everyone's use is different, so you might need LTE, just wondering what is making you regret wifi only.

I'm not sure if I am regretting wifi only, I just got to thinking it might be worth the extra $129 to have the capability of LTE. I know it sounds stupid since I'm not even sure how much I'd need it, but I figure that I only have the 14 day return window with Apple to figure it out. The smart part of me says save the money because I know that there will be a few times at most that I'd want to be able to use cell data on it, and I have an iPhone anyways.

I'd be up for that. Maybe should be included with AppleCare. Although I wouldn't want to see the driver...maybe if we had to options for different "skins" for the video feed. Maybe they can be sponsored by Nintendo so everything looks like Mushroom Kingdom.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
iFixIt Teardown said:
Step 8

Well, this display is screwed... to the case. Luckily, we have a BS degree in removing screws, so this poses no challenge.

Rather than enjoy the 264 pixels per inch on this brand new iPad 3, we opt to remove the acclaimed display. Why? Because we're iFixit, and that's how we roll.

As we lift the LCD, we hear the cries of 1,097,728 pixels being removed from their homes inside the iPad 3.

:(

If your phone has a hotspot, it's the same thing. Unless you want to pay twice for data options?

Vyer

How much is the new appletv? Does it support Netflix @ 1080pDD5.1? Can I rent from the apple store? Can I use YouTube movie rentals on it?

What all can be streamed to it? Can I stream mkvs stored on an external device?

Thanks guys. BB credited me $650 so I'm thinking I may get the ATV to go with the pad. If ima do this, ima do it right.

It's 100. I know that they said 1080 Netflix would be available, though I don't know about 5.1. You can rent from iTunes, don't know anything on YouTube.

Seems like there have been a lot of compromises to the iPad 2's ergonomics to support the high resolution screen: Thicker, heavier, longer charge time, device gets hot.

It's a bit unlike Apple. Usually it seems like they will wait on a technology until they can avoid that type of regression.

It's not like the device requires a belt support to use. The increase is weight and size are minimal compared to the benefits of the new screen resolution. I really can't agree with your assessment.

Seems like there have been a lot of compromises to the iPad 2's ergonomics to support the high resolution screen: Thicker, heavier, longer charge time, device gets hot.

It's a bit unlike Apple. Usually it seems like they will wait on a technology until they can avoid that type of regression.

Possibly, but if they had omitted the Retina display the 'new iPad' would offer no reason to upgrade.

Makes you wonder what features the next iPad will have.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

Back to the same old:

- Thinner
- Lighter
- Faster
- Upgraded cameras
- Some software upgrades

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Barely thicker. Still thinner and lighter than iPad 1. If apple knew they wanted to go retina, perhaps they shouldn't have gone so light with the iPad 2?

I am surprised though. I can't imagine that massive battery is needed for a gpu bump, so it must be the screen. But surely it needs about the same amount of backlighting as its physically the same size. Is it simply that the pixels need more to drive them?

Not noticeably thicker (less than 1mm), but somewhat heavier, yes. They had to go there for the retina display. I'm glad they took the plunge now.

Possibly, but if they had omitted the Retina display the 'new iPad' would offer no reason to upgrade.

probably refined battery tech, thinner, lighter, faster, updated CPU, upgraded facetime camera and rear camera, more power efficient. I think those are safe assumptions.

LCfiner

Which is perfectly fine. I don't know why people just expect explosive things every year. It's about constant improvement with new features sprinkled along the way.

yup, and Apple is kinda telegraphing this by the new naming convention - which is , well, no naming convention. just iPad. by getting rid of the numbers, new ipads become more like new macs. they're setting expectations for iterative improvements without anything "blow away" necessarily coming every single revision.

Top Bottom