• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Barely thicker. Still thinner and lighter than iPad 1. If apple knew they wanted to go retina, perhaps they shouldn't have gone so light with the iPad 2?

I am surprised though. I can't imagine that massive battery is needed for a gpu bump, so it must be the screen. But surely it needs about the same amount of backlighting as its physically the same size. Is it simply that the pixels need more to drive them?

There were talks about a dual-LED being required or something back in the day. I suspect this iFixit teardown will reveal exactly what's up.

new_ipad_102037_gallery_post.jpg

I'll take that thickness compromise.

Exactly. This thing isn't all the sudden a massive brick compared to iPad 2.

RubxQub

new_ipad_102037_gallery_post.jpg

I'll take that thickness compromise.
Jesus fucking christ! You can land a jumbo-fucking-jet on the iPad 3 compared to the iPad 2...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's the difference? I can't see how any more than about 1% of iPad cases would have problems fitting the new one. That number is probably even too high.

from thickness no. But the taper is quite different so form fitting hard shells wouldn't be ideal

dojokun

Banned
Possibly, but if they had omitted the Retina display the 'new iPad' would offer no reason to upgrade.

Makes you wonder what features the next iPad will have.

How about:

HARDWARE
-Storage is 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB.
-Cameras front and back are not only upgraded, but there are two on each side for parallax viewing/3D imaging much how human eyes work when trying to discern distance.
-Multiple microphones for discerning direction of source of sound, for miscellaneous usage, much like how human ears work.
-USB port.
-HDMI port.

SOFTWARE
-Appropriate software to take advantage of above mentioned multiple cameras on each side
-Appropriate software to take advantage of above mentioned multiple speakers
-Siri, in finished form instead of Beta. Added functions including activation by pure voice without touching the iPad, and ability to update Facebook status.
-Ability to split the screen into two frames for multitasking between two apps.

LCfiner

This is so unlike Apple. What a regression.

This is why Ive wasn't in the promo video. He has nothing to say about the design except "well, we made it only a little bit thicker and heavier".

it's a minor, nearly inconsequential regression, but you know it's gotta big the shit out of the designers there.

How about:

HARDWARE
-Cameras front and back are not only upgraded, but there are two on each side for parallax viewing/3D imaging much how human eyes work when trying to discern distance.
-Multiple microphones for discerning direction of source of sound, for miscellaneous usage, much like how human ears work.
-USB port.
-HDMI port.

SOFTWARE
-Appropriate software to take advantage of above mentioned multiple cameras on each side
-Siri, in finished form instead of Beta. Added functions including activation by pure voice without touching the iPad, and ability to update Facebook status.

sarcasm? I can't tell.

haha

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
How about:

HARDWARE
-USB port.
-HDMI port.

SOFTWARE

l8WRo.gif

RubxQub

"6.8% thickness increase resulting in less than a millimeter difference" really is the tablet equivalent of the Sony "599 US DOLLARS" PS3 reveal. All hype and excitement gets immediately flushed down the toilet. Platform doomed. Sign of a dying empire.

Etc. etc.

RubxQub

Isn't this assumed? More battery means more charge time. You expect a gallon jug to fill up just as fast a tanker truck?

I thought we were talking about Apple and not some 3rd rate hardware manufacturer. The fact that this thing doesn't fully recharge by solar rays like Superman is an outright disappointment that clearly spells out how Apple is flailing at the helm without Jobs running things.

The evidence could not be clearer.

dojokun

Banned
Wait, what? I admit I dont know as much about Apple as the average Gaffer. Why not USB and HDMI?

Every charging cable has a USB connection to the computer or outlet adapter. As for HDMI, I dont see why not.

Cheebo

Banned
People having aversions to USB and HDMI ports are weirdos.
Using a Apple TV is better than HDMI in every single imaginable situation I can think of.

Plus if you so badly wan't HDMI get the little HDMI adapter. Adding more ports on the iPad would make it look stupid.

And USB is basically dead tech with strong cloud based support from iCloud/DropBox/etc.

RubxQub

How do you sync your ipad to your mac without cables?

...wireless syncing to iTunes? Or just NEVER syncing to iTunes and using iCloud?

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah, with iOS 5 there really is no reason to plug iPad's into Mac's anymore. The only thing I have plugged my iPad into since iOS 5 is the wall to charge it. I display it on my TV via AirPlay, sync content from my Mac and other devices with Wifi Syncing Move documents and other files that USB used to be useful for with iCloud and Drop Box.

Wireless is the best way to go.

Seems like there have been a lot of compromises to the iPad 2's ergonomics to support the high resolution screen: Thicker, heavier, longer charge time, device gets hot.

It's a bit unlike Apple. Usually it seems like they will wait on a technology until they can avoid that type of regression.

No, not really. It's a couple ounces lighter and a hairline thicker. The battery has TWICE the capacity, so obviously charge time is longer. It's a near miracle they were able to squeeze that tech into the same form factor and get the same battery life. Stating 'alot of compromises' is patently ridiculous, not a single review has suggested this is the case.

jts

...hate me...
If anything, an added port to an iPad should be an SDXC slot. It's more harmless than USB, it's thin and useful, especially seeing as the iPad is becoming an excellent companion tool for photography. But it won't happen.

As for the added charging time, even if it's obvious, it illustrates a point: same autonomy due to a larger battery comes at a cost. Those emergency quick charges will give you half the battery life you'd get on the previous device.

Wait, what? I admit I dont know as much about Apple as the average Gaffer. Why not USB and HDMI?

HDMI) Requires licensing, that's why, for example, the Macbooks have mini-displayPort instead
USB) Requires throwing out the docking connector ecosystem, and USB is too big so it would be mini/micro USB anyway
SDXC) Only supported through external peripherals anyway, and I'd be surprised if there was enough room in the chassis for an SD connector array

iPad is currently chilling in the Oakland FedEx facility. All it has to do is cross the Bay Bridge to get to me lol.

Now... Navy or Prouct Red smart cover? And no, I don't want to buy both colors despite liking both.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Every charging cable has a USB connection to the computer or outlet adapter. As for HDMI, I dont see why not.
1) USB is not necessary as all Apple products ship with their own cable USB cable. It simply uses a proprietary connector over a standard mini-USB. You can plug the USB side into all sorts of charging bricks without any problems.

2) HDMI is already offered via an adapter. Having a port on the device itself wouldn't be awful or anything, but I don't think it would bring much value to the system. The AppleTV airplay stuff is much more useful as you can go ahead and hold the iPad wirelessly while viewing on the TV. Attaching a long HDMI cable makes for a more difficult to handle situation.

RubxQub

iPad is currently chilling in the Oakland FedEx facility. All it has to do is cross the Bay Bridge to get to me lol.

Now... Navy or Prouct Red smart cover? And no, I don't want to buy both colors despite liking both.

Black or white iPad?

If it's white, you need to join the Red/White party of excellence and awesome.

dojokun

Banned
Alright then, just the multiple cameras and speakers then. Probably not on iPad 4, but eventually, I expect to see it. iPads that can sense how far things are and where sounds are coming from.

Although I do expect a fully finished Siri on iPad 4.

railGUN

Banned
I'm still getting the:

A UPS shipping label has been created. Once the shipment arrives at our facility, the tracking status--including the scheduled delivery date--will be updated.

message from tracking my UPS order, so I called Apple today, and the guy said that they are aware of the carrier status not updating, they've been in contact with the carrier to try to fix the problem, and to expect my iPad tomorrow.

What the Apple rep failed to realize is that I have horrible luck with this kind of thing, and that the UPS truck with my delivery will probably drive off a cliff early tomorrow, but I digress.

dojokun

Banned
What would be the use in that?

Well 3D programs in general, as far as the cameras go. Capture and map out an entire room of objects and their locations.

As far as the sounds, perhaps for capturing music/sounds into multitrack audio clips.

Cheebo

Banned
That really does not seem like something Apple would do. Way too obscure with very little practical use for 90% of people buying them.

Top Bottom