• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Actually I think the charging time is a fair point. You don't want it stuck to a wall socket for longer than necessary.

There isn't a usb limitation either, as apple have their proprietary dock connector. They could use a higher power charger to charge as fast as iPad 2, and fall back to slower charging if you use a pc - like it does with iPad 2 now

Maybe that'll come if apple bring a magsafe charger with iPad 4

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Seems like there have been a lot of compromises to the iPad 2's ergonomics to support the high resolution screen: Thicker, heavier, longer charge time, device gets hot.

It's a bit unlike Apple. Usually it seems like they will wait on a technology until they can avoid that type of regression.

any device with a battery can get hot while charging. Especially if you're using it and charging it at the same time.
My 4s gets hot if i play games while charging it.

The mininal bump in thickness and weight far outweigh the screen bump for me.

Ended up purchasing Amazon's BT keyboard for my ipad, though I won't get it until next Monday. I don't really plan on using it that much unless I'm writing out a review (I usually write my documents in Google Docs) as I can type well on the on-screen keyboard easily.

...and as for the smart cover, I'll grab one of each and ask if I can just try them out on the floor model ipads at the apple store. (Red is slowly winning, but I need just one more push in the direction.)

Holy cow at Apple's "Reuse and Recycle" program.

Apple would have given me $30 for my iPad 1 65GB wi-fi (has dent on back). If it were perfect (no dent), they would have given me $145.

An ex-girlfriend gave me $350. Over 11x what Apple would have given me.

Oh, and about how engraving just hurts your iPad's value? A perfect Ipad 1 64GB wi-fi drops for $145 to $75 if engraved.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
My point wasn't that those regressions make the iPad 3 undesirable, but that it was unusual for Apple to push a technology upgrade in a specific product line at the cost of ergonomics.

This has been the previous rationale for not including LTE in iPhones, has it not?

It has, and it's definitely an adjustment to how Apple typically does things.

When the iPad originally launched, the major selling point was: "I am the Alpha and the Omega. I am the first and only...and I am amazing".

When the iPad 2 launched, the major selling point was: "I'm lighter, thinner, faster." The product released a year ago STILL has not been matched performance-wise by competitors at any price-point.

The new iPad's major selling point: "Not only am I still faster than everything else on the market, I now sport the best display of any consumer device ever, and I'm the first device to offer LTE speeds without sacrificing battery life."

I think at the end of the day, to push iPad 3's, Apple knew that the display and LTE would be the main points they needed to include to future-proof themselves for another year. While other tablets will offer LTE, almost certainly the iPad will have the best battery life of any of them for the rest of this year. On top of that, there is next to no chance that anyone matches the display quality...and if they do, they won't be able to match the battery life.

I'm guessing Apple decided that the battery life was more important at the end of the day than a millimeter of thickness and a tenth of a pound in weight. Can't say I'd argue with those priorities, and it should set them up to have another unstoppable combo for 2012.

2013 should have them back on the traditional upgrade path and keep them out of reach from competitors perpetually from there unless something radically changes.

Look at these congregations of people secretly lusting for Samsung devices.

shortstop

I find it amusing that my iPad went from Middletown, PA to Indianapolis, IN considering I live in Pittsburgh. I guess FedEx felt like taking it on a road trip.

Mine apperantly wanted to cross the pacific a few times (with UPS):

China - Alaska - China - Alaska - Louisville

Bizarre (and I guess also somewhat amusing).

Alex

Engraving something as quickly replaced as this kind of tech always seemed odd to me. Maybe you could engrave "FIRST EDITION" on the back and try to charge more on eBay for it!

And man, you could not pay me to stand in those lines. I'll never understand that kind of fandom, especially when you could have just easily pre-ordered it and had it flown to your house for free.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Apple would have given me $30 for my iPad 1 65GB wi-fi (has dent on back). If it were perfect (no dent), they would have given me $145.

Oh, and about how engraving just hurts your iPad's value? A perfect Ipad 1 64GB wi-fi drops for $145 to $75 if engraved.
Yeah just like writing your name in permanent marker across the edge of the pages of a book makes it worth less.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
My iPad shipment has gone from Shenzhen, China to to Hong Kong to Anchorage, Alaska, to Louisville, Kentucky, where it's been sitting for 5 days.

RubxQub

dojokun

Banned
On the heat issue, personally, I would take the form factor of the iPad 1 with no heat on the surfaces over form factor of iPad 2/3 with heat.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
On the heat issue, personally, I would take the form factor of the iPad 1 with no heat on the surfaces over form factor of iPad 2/3 with heat.
As someone who has had an iPad 1 since launch I cannot agree with this. The thing is heavier and has a larger footprint. Also, dat curved behind.

DJ_Lae

My iPad shipment has gone from Shenzhen, China to to Hong Kong to Anchorage, Alaska, to Louisville, Kentucky, where it's been sitting for 5 days.

Mine's been sitting in Anchorage since Saturday according to my tracking.

I assume it'll update at some point.

Is it ever possible to just walk into an apple store and pick up an ipad? like if I wanted an ipad 2, how long after launch would it have taken? I only ask because I would love to drive to DE and buy an ipad 3, save like $36 on no sales tax, but not willing to wait in lines

RubxQub

iPad 4 - feel what is on the retina display. BELIEVE

HapticGAF is going to melt down entirely when the 4 is just another spec bump year. I wonder if the demand for haptics is going to reach a fever pitch and other tablet makers dive on it because of the "demand".

dojokun

Banned
As someone who has had an iPad 1 since launch I cannot agree with this. The thing is heavier and has a larger footprint. Also, dat curved behind.

To me, my iPad 1's curves made it easier to pick up when it was on a table. I sold mine the other day and I know I'll miss it.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Is it ever possible to just walk into an apple store and pick up an ipad? like if I wanted an ipad 2, how long after launch would it have taken? I only ask because I would love to drive to DE and buy an ipad 3, save like $36 on no sales tax, but not willing to wait in lines

About 4 weeks.

Congrats on completely ripping off your ex-girlfriend. For $50 more she could have had a brand new iPad 2 sans dent.

Trade-in programs are never great. You're best bet is indeed to sell it on your own. I'm planning on putting my iPad 1 64GB wifi model on Craig's List for $250, which seems reasonable to me.

Gowans

Bollocks the place I was going to get my new iPad from tomorrow isn't getting them in.

Alternatives in the UK? I really hate queuing too :(

Soybean

I'm curious about what it was with the Kindle app that text was still rendered at 1024x768. Did they write their own text rendering engine? Why would they do that?

RubxQub

Exactly. Who's hardcore enough to stand in line for that long, but NOT hardcore enough to go on their website a day after the keynote and preorder? Standing in line can be fun and all, but I'd still rather not

After waiting 12 hours in line to get the iPhone 4...never again. Never...again.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Whereabouts are you Gowans? I'm heading down to Meadowhall in a couple of hours.

Edit: I'm doing the long queue because I didn't get paid until today. You also get a sense of community being with all the other crazy ones. Met some nice folk last time! There's just a good vibe about the whole experience, because it doesn't make sense - it's just a computer.

Apparently iPad 2 values are much higher but yeah, it's definitely recycling and not any sort of good value. Even Gamestop offers better value now, I imagine...

rinse82

Mine is in Mount Hope, ON too =)

Although I dont get back from Vegas until 7pm ish tomorrow night so I think I'll miss the delivery, fuck

Appleman

After waiting 12 hours in line to get the iPhone 4...never again. Never...again.

I think the longest I've waited is 4 and a half hours, and I've lined up for every release since the iPhone 3G (except the OG iPad). It's been fun and worth it everytime, but given the pre-order option and first day guarantee? Forget it.

Mine is in Mount Hope, ON too =)

Although I dont get back from Vegas until 7pm ish tomorrow night so I think I'll miss the delivery, fuck

I'm leaving for a flight to NYC at 1:30 tomorrow, so I'll probably miss mine too.

Alex

Interesting that some of the iPads for the US started in China. Mine started in California and has been sitting there since last weekend (I live in WA)

Milpool

Bollocks the place I was going to get my new iPad from tomorrow isn't getting them in.

Alternatives in the UK? I really hate queuing too :(

I rang around and Currys are only selling tomorrow morning and aren't taking any reservations. I also rang Comet who said I could go in and buy one tonight and pick it up tomorrow if I wanted, but they only had 16GB.

Top Bottom