• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Zeth

Apple would have given me $30 for my iPad 1 65GB wi-fi (has dent on back). If it were perfect (no dent), they would have given me $145.

You got the special edition with a secret partition of prototype Apple apps curated by Steve Jobs. I'd hold onto it as the value is only going up.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Last time I lined up to get some hardware was at the Wii launch. I was studying for a signals and systems final while sitting outside in the cold. I bodied the final though. All is well.

You won't catch me in a line.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Interesting that some of the iPads for the US started in China. Mine started in California and has been sitting there since last weekend (I live in WA)

If its engraved it will come from china (and likely any other deliveries post launch for the time being)

Big Chungus

Is there such a thing as a prepaid data sim card in the USA?

Going on a road trip with some friends to the states and it'd be pretty useful, dont want to get boned using my canadian plan.

cnizzle06

Banned
Having not preorder and just recently deciding that I want one, I'm gonna lurk about tomorrow morning before I work at 930 and see if I can grab one. Wish me luck?

rinse82

I think the longest I've waited is 4 and a half hours, and I've lined up for every release since the iPhone 3G (except the OG iPad). It's been fun and worth it everytime, but given the pre-order option and first day guarantee? Forget it.

I'm leaving for a flight to NYC at 1:30 tomorrow, so I'll probably miss mine too.

If I miss 3 deliveries in a row will they just leave it at the nearest UPS depot for me to pickup or send back to Apple? (please god no)

railGUN

Banned
My UPS tracking is finally working - it is in Mount Hope (lol) ON, but the last activity is "Export Scan" - I live in Canada, so I'm not sure if it's going to go into the US and then back to Canada? I've had Apple shipments do some funky routes in the past.

Salmonax

Last time I lined up to get some hardware was at the Wii launch.

Me too - the Wii launch was only time I've ever waited in line for anything like that. It was actually pretty painless other than the early wake-up, but I'll never do anything like that again.

Me too - the Wii launch was only time I've ever waited in line for anything like that. It was actually pretty painless other than the early wake-up, but I'll never do anything like that again.

lol, I remember that launch. My buddy went to go get one with our RA at the time. We were at a party getting drunk and the RA came and picked up my friend. By the time we came home at 2:30 the Wii was set up and we played WiiSports until it was time to goto class in the morning. Oh, memories.

Appleman

My UPS tracking is finally working - it is in Mount Hope (lol) ON, but the last activity is "Export Scan" - I live in Canada, so I'm not sure if it's going to go into the US and then back to Canada? I've had Apple shipments do some funky routes in the past.

That's what I had this morning, but about an hour ago it added "Departure Scan" also from Mount Hope, so I assume its just headed from there to me.

you could say he's grasping at straws.
Yuck. Not only is he reaching, but he is an awful writer, and has terrible humor. If he has a decent paying gig in the blogosphere, why don't I?
because he thinks he's a good writer and acts like it probably

DURRR RETINA DISPLAY IS JUST MARKETING HYPE DURRR UR NOT SCEINTIST THEREFORE U NO NEED DURRR

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Last time I lined up to get some hardware was at the Wii launch. I was studying for a signals and systems final while sitting outside in the cold. I bodied the final though. All is well.

You won't catch me in a line.

Except for tomorrow. =)

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Gewirtz.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gewirtz

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If I miss 3 deliveries in a row will they just leave it at the nearest UPS depot for me to pickup or send back to Apple? (please god no)

Alternatively. Stay in and be there when it's delivered.

Don't get me wrong I loved my iPad 1... well up until ios 5.0 made it slow as hell.

I liked my iPad 1. But it was so bad at browsing that I bought a Macbook Air. I couldnt stand how long it took youtube videos to load on the iPad 1 or the constant checkerboarding and reloading of pages. For the past year or so it was nothing more than a really really expensive Kindle. I'm really looking forward to the browsing experience on the new one.

railGUN

Banned

4 ridiculous reasons per page, 16 total reasons, 6 ads per page = 24 ad impressions for said ridiculous reasons - and ending with:

Yes, I’ve ordered one

We’re big on disclosures here at ZDNet, so I’ll disclose that I did order a new iPad. I didn’t buy the iPad 2 and although I have very little use for my old iPad 1 (I use it in the teleprompter, and that’s all), I bought the new model because I felt that if I’m going to write about it, I need to have one here.

But I’ll be honest. If I didn’t have an editorial need to cover the thing, I never would have bought one. I much prefer real computers that can be used to do real work.

That is some Grade A click trolling.

My iPad successfully made the journey from Ontario to Oakland. Now it just has one little bridge to cross and the precious is ours. Hype!

Ha! Mine's in Oakland too. I'm assuming there's no chance it will be delivered early? Are you getting yours delivered to SF or the East Bay?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I liked my iPad 1. But it was so bad at browsing that I bought a Macbook Air. I couldnt stand how long it took youtube videos to load on the iPad 1 or the constant checkerboarding and reloading of pages. For the past year or so it was nothing more than a really really expensive Kindle. I'm really looking forward to the browsing experience on the new one.

I'm still using my iPad1 and it's great for browsing and youtube. I hardly ever get the checkerboard issue either.

I'd like to upgrade to the new iPad but will have to see in in the flesh to see if it's worth it.

So what color smart cover should I get for my new (white) iPad? Gray and black are definitely not in the running, so I want something a bit more bubbly and colorful.

Also, my sad attempt at searching for unboxing videos has so far been a big failure. Am I the only one that gets a sick high off of watching unboxings?

cyberheater

I'm not saying I don't believe you. But I dont believe you.

I think it depends how you surf. I tend to spend time on pages and not do a ton of scrolling. Maybe you surf differently.

Also. I'm on 30Mbit wifi here. So maybe that helps.

kehs

Banned
Opinions don't matter if they don't align with mine.

The only reason he went crazy on was the screen one. Dude's bonkers.

So what color smart cover should I get for my new (white) iPad? Gray and black are definitely not in the running, so I want something a bit more bubbly and colorful.

Also, my sad attempt at searching for unboxing videos has so far been a big failure. Am I the only one that gets a sick high off of watching unboxings?

Gotta do baby blue. Maybe green as a 2nd choice.

I think it depends how you surf. I tend to spend time on pages and not do a ton of scrolling. Maybe you surf differently.

Also. I'm on 30Mbit wifi here. So maybe that helps.

It's got nothing to do with speed and everything to do with memory. But yeah, I scroll a lot. I'm sure the differences we see are because we browse differently. If you load 4 or 5 tabs and then start going between them, I'm sure you'll see the issues I had. When I watch videos of browsing on the new one where pages aren't forced to reload all the time, I get moist. Can't wait.

Zeth

Are a lot of web pages going to look crappy on the new display? The Verge was showing off their own site with it so I assume that page looks respectable, but I'm genuinely curious how the overall experience will be.

I went orange for my white iPad. Bought it new off of eBay.

Apparently iPad 2 values are much higher but yeah, it's definitely recycling and not any sort of good value. Even Gamestop offers better value now, I imagine...

Eh, $30 for an iPad with a dent on the back but $145 for one without?

There's no way they are actually recycling the $145 one, so I say there's no way they are actually recycling the $30 one.

They will throw a new back on it and sell it as a refurb.

Note that a refurb iPad 1 wi-fi 64GB is $500 on Apple.com.

The profit Apple makes on many of its refurbs laughs at Gamestop's used game margins.

taoofjord

Grabbed a blue smart cover for my black iPad. Got it yesterday and am kinda regretting it. I hate leather and those colors seem to fit best for the black iPad while the others work best for the white. :(

cyberheater

It's got nothing to do with speed and everything to do with memory. But yeah, I scroll a lot. I'm sure the differences we see are because we browse differently. If you load 4 or 5 tabs and then start going between them, I'm sure you'll see the issues I had. When I watch videos of browsing on the new one where pages aren't forced to reload all the time, I get moist. Can't wait.

Yes. I see the reloading happening all the time if you have quite a few tabs open.

I think the iPad 1 had 256mb, the iPad2 - 512mb and iPad3 1Gb. That's going to have a huge positive effect on surfing.

Phreaker

Congrats on completely ripping off your ex-girlfriend. For $50 more she could have had a brand new iPad 2 sans dent.

Not a 64GB one. I think his price was fair. I saw them selling today on Ebay for $315-$335 (plus shipping). I am selling mine tomorrow to someone locally for $300. (64GB WiFi OG iPad).

Yes. I see the reloading happening all the time if you have quite a few tabs open.

I think the iPad 1 had 256mb, the iPad2 - 512mb and iPad3 1Gb. That's going to have a huge positive effect on surfing.

I hope so, because I plan to enjoy its capabilities in the bath tub (manly baths).

Top Bottom