• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the *NEW* Official Madden Xbox League Thread Season I: F U EA (Now with poll!)

Do you want 5 minute quarters, or 6 minute quarters?

Results are only viewable after voting.

newsguy

DJ_Tet said:
I can probably squeeze in a game on Saturday, but don't hold me to it just yet. I'll at least be watching GT/Auburn, I'll let you know tomorrow if I can get a game in on Saturday sometime.

What time is that game? I work saturday so we can play before the game, or I should be home like at 11:30 pm eastern and we can play that night. I believe the canes play monday so it shouldn't affect our game.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Rorschach said:
Dskillzhtown: When can we get our game in? I know you're busy, so just mention a time that's best for you and I'll see if I can meet it. I'm available most of tomorrow and Saturday and all of Sunday.

AIM: Hawakubo
Live: r0rschach

I will see what I can do, Madden seems like it has put my X-Box on life-support. This sucks. Hopefully it will come back by Sunday. I will pst any developments here.

Rorschach

dskillzhtown said:
I will see what I can do, Madden seems like it has put my X-Box on life-support. This sucks. Hopefully it will come back by Sunday. I will pst any developments here.
Yes, I think a lot of xboxen are on life support at the end of the gen. The plot thickens, MS!
No sweat.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Rorschach said:
Yes, I think a lot of xboxen are on life support at the end of the gen. The plot thickens, MS!
No sweat.

Sorry man, I just got in the league and my X-Box decides to boot up about 20% of the time.

Rorschach

dskillzhtown said:
Sorry man, I just got in the league and my X-Box decides to boot up about 20% of the time.
Check out the rest of this thread. Madden has killed like 5 of our xboxen. :lol

We'll get our game in when/if you get a chance.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
DJ_Tet said:
I'm sorry but wtf? Have I held up a week?

We'll play but seriously, wtf. *bites his tongue*

I didn't realize I would be pressured to play a game every other day, that's kind of why I voted for four days between games. If I'm holding you up Matrix feel free to petition me out of the league.

Seems like every post you make has more drama...*bites his tongue so hard it bleeds*

We'll get our game in, even if I have to actually write my stats down on paper and wait till FMT unlocks the game.

edit---That may have been harsh, but I'm leaving it unedited. I apologize if you are offended. I've got my week 4 game scheduled for Saturday sometime, but sorry if I'd rather watch REAL football for the FIRST time this year than play a videogame. I'll get my week 4 game against newsguy in this weekend. My week 5 game has already been pushed to monday night at the earliest due to no fault of ANYONE except for, I don't know, real life? Tuesday night will be the latest that game will be played. That leaves us three days before you go to Buffalo to watch your Texans get run. That's on YOU, not me, so don't put it on me. I'll be around, and we'll get our game in, I just didn't appreciate your attitude. I'm sorry if I came off like a jerk, but, so did you in my opinion. We'll play again, and maybe you'll get your revenge, but I see NO reason to call me out several times in your post. I haven't held up a week, and you don't need to insinuate that I may miss your post. I'm pretty sure there are 30 people in the league, and I'm one of about 10 that actually have posted in this thread. You didn't need to ask "if I see this post", you know I'm here. God forbid I wanted to postpone my game with fiddy for a day, it didn't go PAST any league deadline, and quite frankly, I'm a little upset that you (or anyone) would question my involvement in the league. I've got a writeup to do on my latest game, where are your writeups? They aren't required, but last I checked I wasn't required to play a league game every damn day, or even every other day.

Again, it's nothing personal and I'm sure you didn't mean to come off how I perceived you to come off Matrix. We'll get our game in, don't sweat things so much. I'm not going anywhere, I'll be around.

edit #2---For any of my future opponents, I won't be free AT ALL to play any league games from 1 pm est to around 7 est on ANY sunday. Some saturdays may be taken up too. I'm sorry that I would rather watch real football than play a videogame. Perhaps I should have considered that before I joined the league, but I figured people here would rather watch real football too? I mean, that's what you are doing Matrix, yet you throw in a snide little comment insinuating that I am holding up the league, when I'm not.

I'm more than free to work around people's schedule, if you are going out of town then let me or FMT know and we'll figure it out. Don't just drop statements like "he doesn't play every first day like the rest of us." I voted for four days for a reason, and if you can't respect that take it up with FMT or the other 25 people that voted for four days.

That pissed me off and it's not all your fault Matrix, like I said, I'm sorry for taking it personally. You're still cool in my book because I think you didn't intend for me to take it like I have. But I am going to stand up for this, I will NOT be pressured into playing a game a day or two. I don't have the time or patience for that, and I feel like the league suffers like that. Everyone try to excercise a little patience, there are more important things than playing an online Madden game.

I didnt mean you were holding up the league,I meant that I know you like to use the 4 days spread out each week and the extra time cause you have things to do during the week.I just wanted to find a way to get our game in somehow before I left,thats all.You really took it the wrong way and I dont think Ive caused any drama in this league so far,unless you count the Konex crap which should have been brought up.Drama = Ram not reporting stats and getting booted,DJ Demon running up the score on HG,thats drama caused by certain people.My post might have come off the wrong way but it wasnt to slam you...All I want to do is play our week 6 game before I leave,I didnt think that would cause you to lash out at me.Geez reading over my post its weaksause compared to what you just wrote to me :\ I was aware of the fact you have things to do from reading over your past posts,thats why I wrote the post that way,like I said you took it totally the wrong way and I have no desire of pentioning you out the league,not even sure why you wrote that.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Matrix said:
I didnt mean you were holding up the league,I meant that I know you need extra time cause you have things to do during the week.I just wanted to find a way to get our game in somehow before I left,thats all.You really took it the wrong way and I dont think Ive caused any drama in this league so far,unless you count the Konex crap which should have been brought up.Drama = Ram not reporting stats and getting booted,DJ Demon running up the score on HG,thats drama caused by certain people.My post might have come off the wrong way but it wasnt to slam you...All I want to do is play our week 6 game before I leave,I didnt think that would cause you to lash out at me.Geez reading over my post its weaksause compared to what you just wrote to me :\ I was aware of the fact you have things to do from reading over your past posts,thats why I wrote the post that way,like I said you took it totally the wrong way and I have no desire of pentioning you out the league,not even sure why you wrote that.

whendovescry3so.jpg

DCX

DCX
dskillzhtown said:
Dude, get a new one before you lose the ability to transfer your saves.

DCX

DCX

DCX
Slo, i'm down to play tonight...any time after 11:30PM EST or so. Tomorrow would be good to, but if we can get it in today that would be best.

DCX

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Wellington said:

That image wont load for me,but just reading the addy "when doves cry" has me rolling :lol

Matrix

Mrbob said:
It would never be a true GAF sports league without drama revolving around Matrix. :D

Whats funny is drama comes and this time I didnt even mean it to happen :lol Usually Im aware of when Im talking shit with someone,this time my post came off a little wrong and I get it back ten fold :eek: I dont have anything against DJ Tet.....it hurts!!!!!!!!!

Slo

DCX said:
Slo, i'm down to play tonight...any time after 11:30PM EST or so. Tomorrow would be good to, but if we can get it in today that would be best.

DCX

JUST WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN BY THAT!??!?!?!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Matrix said:
Whats funny is drama comes and this time I didnt even mean it to happen :lol Usually Im aware of when Im talking shit with someone,this time my post came off a little wrong and I get it back ten fold :eek: I dont have anything against DJ Tet.....it hurts!!!!!!!!!

That's what you said to me last season! There are only so many times you can pull this stunt, Matrix!

Slo said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol

(I really need to stop drinking at work, this is like my fifth edit.)

Matrix

Slo said:

:lol :lol :lol

Matrix

Wellington said:
That's what you said to me last season! There are only so many times you can pull this stunt, Matrix!

what huh what waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

baby_crying_closeup.jpg

DCX

DCX
Slo said:
Huh? Aren't you the one who is playing as the Vikings in the leauge? If not, sorry...the dude's name is SloForce in the leauge so i just assumed :D

DCX

Slo

DCX: That time would be cool with me, perhaps even a little later. The problem is that Mrs. Slo is starting to get realllllllly irritated with this playing-every-other-night thing that I've been pulling. I'll see if I can't wear her out before then and maybe she'll fall asleep. :D

DCX

DCX
Slo said:
DCX: That time would be cool with me, perhaps even a little later. The problem is that Mrs. Slo is starting to get realllllllly irritated with this playing-every-other-night thing that I've been pulling. I'll see if I can't wear her out before then and maybe she'll fall asleep. :D
:lol :lol Yeah, i knew all about that wife deal, wear her out, drink some Mountain Dew and i'll see you online :D

DCX

Slo

DCX said:
Huh? Aren't you the one who is playing as the Vikings in the leauge? If not, sorry...the dude's name is SloForce in the leauge so i just assumed :D

DCX

Yeah, that's me. I'm Slo and I'm a force. A FORCE TO BE WRECKENED WITH!

....when my wife gives me permission.

Cloudy

Banned
Looks like I have to drop out, guys. I refuse to play with the cone and I explicitly told FMT this before I joined so I'm not trying to be a flake.

Drey1082

Slo said:

Wear her out huh? (*wink, wink)

Sounds hot.

Cloudy said:
Looks like I have to drop out, guys. I refuse to play with the cone and I explicitly told FMT this before I joined so I'm not trying to be a flake.

Damn it, just keep practicing with that right thumbstick, unless your hand is somehow deformed I see no reason why you shouldnt be able to use the cone vision.
First time I used it, it was just horrible but fun. If you want, just leave that cone on your Primary receiver to start then move on from there. No need to QUIT, Quitter.
Remember, we are all here to have fun with this SIM League not take it seriously.

Slo

I really don't see why this is such a *HUGE* sticking point for you Cloudy. I don't think the cone is a huge innovation or anything, but it doesn't take that long to adjust to.

Cloudy

Banned
This is the first Madden I've played seriously since 2000 and I really tried but I can't work with the cone. Heck, I think it's a great idea but the implementation is just too idiotic and cumbersome for me.

I don't do the whole "drop back for 30 yards" to pass so I can't make reads and if I just select the primary target before the snap, I telegraph INTs. I do a lot of rinky-dink with JGar and the cone is not realistic at all cos it takes all the flow outta my game. I guess I am just not good enough at mashing buttons quickly.

Passing is supposed to be intuitive and the cone is exactly the opposite. At least for me anyways...

Remember, we are all here to have fun with this SIM League not take it seriously.

Exactly. The game is just a chore to play with the cone IMO. I'd rather lose w/o it than win with it.

Slo

Well look, I'm not going to beg you to stay in the league, do what you've got to do, but I really think you've just got to try it out more. You don't need to be especially fast on the controller to pass with the cone, but you do have to be clever and creative. In my experience, you have to actually have some sort of rational thought process behind why you're calling a play, which route you want to look to first, and what route to fall back on if the first isn't open. Slingers and Slangers are going to get crushed.

Slo said:
Some observations about the cone, and a mini strategy guide (NOTE: I use Daunte Culpepper, his cone is average sized but he is a very highly rated QB. Your mileage may vary.):

1) People who's passing game is based off of Slingin' and Slangin' are screwed unless you use Favre, Manning or Brady. If you generally just chose a cool looking passing play and fly by the seat of your pants after the snap, the cone is going to be very hard on you. I actually admire the skill involved in playing that way, but I'm not a good enough player to be successfull with those tactics. I think most of the loudest critics of the cone might be used to playing this way in previous Maddens. You'll have much more success if you make yourself more intimately familiar with a smaller set of passing plays.

2) You do not need to directly focus your cone on a receiver to throw to him. This is obvious, but it needs to be said and understood. Most passing plays have routes that will not be within the cone at the start of the play, but will intersect it shortly after the snap. These should be your second and third reads. It's easier to let receivers wander into your cone then to try to place your cone on them. Don't mess with the cone until you have to.

3) Maximize the number of reads you have by choosing an appropriate primary receiver before the snap. For example: lets say you're in the 2-1-2 formation, the default primary route is a fly pattern to the receiver on the left, and the TE on the right side does a 5 and in. The fly pattern takes for ever to develop, which will get you sacked if you stare at it the entire play. On the other hand, the TE pattern is great to dump the ball to when you're being blitzed. Change the primary receiver to the TE before the snap. Snap the ball and read the linebackers. If the blitz is on, unload the ball to the TE, take your 5-7 yards and reload for next play. If it's not, notice that as the TE moves from right to left the cone will naturally swing to the left and into the path of the fly pattern. Convenient, eh? This also effectively "looks off" cheating safeties without the user having to make a concious effort to do so.

4) Checkdown routes to the flats don't seem to need the focus of the cone to be successfull. I've had good success throwing to swing patterns without the the cone anywhere near the flats. Just don't try to throw across your body. If the cone is on the right side of the field, you should be able to make a reasonably accurrate throw to the right flat without moving the cone an inch.

Cloudy

Banned
All I know is that almost everyone I play drops back 20 yards while scanning with their cone. I don't play like that cos it's RIDICULOUS and I prefer to get out of the pocket and at least get a few yards with Garcia if the play gets busted.

PS: I don't need anyone to beg me to stay in the league. I already traded the game in once cos I hate the cone :lol

Matrix

Cloudy said:
All I know is that almost everyone I play drops back 20 yards while scanning with their cone. I don't play like that cos it's RIDICULOUS and I prefer to get out of the pocket and at least get a few yards with Garcia if the play gets busted.

PS: I don't need anyone to beg me to stay in the league. I already traded the game in once cos I hate the cone :lol

Huh? Ever heard of blitzing.Thats pretty damn hard to do this year unless you have a super fast QB,I drop back 10 yards with Carr and Im usually on my ass.

Slo

Cloudy said:

With all due respect to everyone involved, the teams you've faced are ranked #7, #17, #24, and #28 in the league in passing offense. The #7 team is the Steelers, and they are only ranked that high because FMT and Wellie put up big numbers in the weeks after you played Ramirez. Granted I'm only ranked #16 in passing offense, but I think it's fair to say that the people you've played aren't exactly shining examples of vision cone passing done right.

Ramirez

I never played Cloudy...>.> And I doubt anyone here could do too well if they just used the right stick :p The vision cone seems pointless to me with the lock on though,you have to hit the button 2 times instead of one,big deal.

Rorschach

Uhm...no offense, cloudy, but in the game that you played against me you WOULD drop back about 5-10 yards. You had a couple of 4th and 17 and one 4th and 20 situation. You may not notice, but you often roll left as well.

Matrix

Rorschach said:
Uhm...no offense, cloudy, but in the game that you played against me you WOULD drop back about 5-10 yards. You had a couple of 4th and 17 and one 4th and 20 situation. You may not notice, but you often roll left as well.

"Oh noes my playstyle is out of the closet"
Sad-Jeff-Garcia.jpg

Cloudy

Banned
Rorschach said:

I have to drop back further than I normally would in ESPN or previous Maddens since the protection sux but no way I'm doing 10+ yards or the 20ish I see my opponents doing constantly. I have no problem with folks doing that as it's usually the only way to make reads with the cone. I just don't like to do it...

And yeah I roll left/right. I prefer to be out of the pocket...

but I think it's fair to say that the people you've played aren't exactly shining examples of vision cone passing done right

I play online besides league play :p

Matrix

Konex who are you playing that drops back 20 yards?

edit- Konex what do you expect when you play random douches? I quit playing randoms cause all they do is cheese or exploit stuff in the game.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Ramirez said:
I was just being silly True...

What did you say? I'm gonna tell mom on you.

Cloudy: I can not believe you are gonna quit a league because you don't like to have to play like everyone else. I suck at this game too man. The cone makes my life hard sometimes. But whatever. Someday I'll get better at it and be able to compete. But right now I'm just learning the ropes. Suck it up and play the game the right way. Seeing as we will probably be playing this in April still I would imagine you would be a bit better than.
If you aren't well... then just quit playing video games.

DJ_Tet

Banned
newsguy said:
What time is that game? I work saturday so we can play before the game, or I should be home like at 11:30 pm eastern and we can play that night. I believe the canes play monday so it shouldn't affect our game.

It appears the game is around 8:45 pm. I'll probably not be getting up before noon tomorrow, so if you want we can play after the game. I'm kind of a night owl, if that's too late let me know and I'll get up early if need be :)

Matrix, I know I took it the wrong way, I'm sorry to vent on you like that. I felt bad after I wrote that, but I also didn't want to edit it out as it would be unfair to blast you like that for a half hour and then erase it. Again, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, and I'm sorry my feelings got hurt by misinterpreting your intention. No hard feelings I hope.

ps Dom Capers is still my second favorite NFL head coach ;)

DMczaf

Cerebral Palsy said:
You're seriously so inept that you can't hold the right trigger and tap a receiver button twice instead of once? Stop being so pathetic.

You are talking to the same person who got confused with the meters in MVP Baseball :lol

Matrix

DJ,its all good,whats in the past is in the past.One thing ive learned about sports gamers is we sometimes lose our tempers quicker than others.

Konex if you quit then you wont have any GA league to play in and all your free time will be watching little anime girls in skirts playing jump rope...do you really want that?

Top Bottom