• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the *NEW* Official Madden Xbox League Thread Season I: F U EA (Now with poll!)

Do you want 5 minute quarters, or 6 minute quarters?

Results are only viewable after voting.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Wellington said:
I see your point, and I do admit I am coming from a completely different point of view. Last year I used the Giants for two seasons, and the Bills and Broncos for one season each. With the Giants I put up massive (for the Giants) offensive numbers, but had no D. So I picked a better defensive team that had an awesome QB (for being exclusively a pocket passer) and McGahee, but I had no freakin' OLine whatsoever. Then I figured fuck it, let me take a team with one of the best OLines in the game a crazy secondary and a pretty good passing game.

Point is, it's cool to experiment and try to pick a team that shores up weaknesses that you absolutely hated in previous teams you had used. Next season I am leaning towards going with a team that has receivers that can make a difference, my current receivers cannot create any freakin' separation unless I use black magic. :| Hrm.... Steve Smith and Keary Colbert do that pretty well.....

And about the Willie Roaf comment... I take it you haven't seen the "Why ESPN NFL 2K5 sucks" video? In it, Willie Roaf is split out as a wide receiver, makes the catch and out runs the DBs to paydirt. :lol Not unlike Strahan inting it and outrunning everyone last night in my game with DM. :lol

Steve Smith is fun in the game, but if you take the Panthers you need to get 50/50 Rod Gardner in there instead of Colbert in my not-so-professional opinion. I just love the height, but I do think he drops an extra ball that Colbert wouldn't drop. But we all know you'll lose your last 8 games and not even make the playoffs, much less the Super Bowl ;)

Anyway, all kidding aside, I see your point too Wellie. I know you think I'm picking on you but I swear I'm not trying to. For a fan of the game it would be fun to switch teams and switch strengths/weaknesses, but I'm a fan of the Panthers first, and Madden is way behind that. I'm a good soldier, but I'd have to say my enthusiasm for Season 2 would be decreased greatly if I wasn't the Panthers. That's neither here nor there, it just is. I'm not saying that to keep anyone from taking my precious team, it's just that entering stats for misc LB from Seattle isn't nearly as fun as seeing Dan Morgan got 8 tackles. That's just the way it is, and I know you can see it like that.

I haven't seen the Roaf vid but that's about what I imagined with your comment. I'm always up for a Willie Roaf blast though, that's just how I roll. I love saying Roaf, and if I played 2k5 I'd definitely split Roaf wide and send him deep. It seems the natural thing to do since Roaf is so fleet of foot ;)

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
DJ_Tet said:
Anyway, all kidding aside, I see your point too Wellie. I know you think I'm picking on you but I swear I'm not trying to. For a fan of the game it would be fun to switch teams and switch strengths/weaknesses, but I'm a fan of the Panthers first, and Madden is way behind that. I'm a good soldier, but I'd have to say my enthusiasm for Season 2 would be decreased greatly if I wasn't the Panthers. That's neither here nor there, it just is. I'm not saying that to keep anyone from taking my precious team, it's just that entering stats for misc LB from Seattle isn't nearly as fun as seeing Dan Morgan got 8 tackles. That's just the way it is, and I know you can see it like that.

Actually that's a good point about stat tracking. I'll tell you what though, I was never a fan of the Bills until I picked them (and the fact that they owned for me in FF). It was good times.

Ram: Well, I see what you mean. The Eagles/Panthers/Vikings (Yes Vikings!) D-Line is crazy enough as is, and the spread would make it worse. Problem to me is - it's easily counterable. Even without the slide protection wide, the OLine is MUCH better this year than it was last year. Last year we all used to say to step inside the pocket but even still the rush would get you, but this year staying in the pocket is pretty effective. It sucks cause Strahan isn't owning as much as I would hope. :lol

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I've got no problem with the Dline spread. YET.

I do think it's stupid to outlaw controlling the reciever though. If all you guys can freakin control the safeties and DB's then I can manual catch. That's just not fair. There is no way that my computer controlled player can outplay a human controlled safety and a computer controlled DB. The amount of pics I have thrown due to the defense being able to see my vision cone and being able to react to the possible receiver before I even throw the ball and then manually double team them is ridiculous.
You guys have got to be kidding me with outlawing this. I don't even know how to do it. I've manually hit the Y button occasionally to try and help my WR not drop his 4th pass of the game. And if that helped him catch it.. then GOOD.

The cheese in this game is:
Blitzing with players that are not visible on the screen. eg: the Dual CB blitz. I can see the LB blitz, I can see the Oline break down. But if I dont own a widescreen then I can't see the CB blitz until it's on top of me. And with the vision cone if I don't already have an open reciever highlighted than I'm screwed. Guaranteed sack.

Controlling a safety or DB and then manaully bumping the receiver 2 to 4 times during a play, while blitzing and not getting a PI call.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Wellington said:
Actually that's a good point about stat tracking. I'll tell you what though, I was never a fan of the Bills until I picked them (and the fact that they owned for me in FF). It was good times.

Ram: Well, I see what you mean. The Eagles/Panthers/Vikings (Yes Vikings!) D-Line is crazy enough as is, and the spread would make it worse. Problem to me is - it's easily counterable. Even without the slide protection wide, the OLine is MUCH better this year than it was last year. Last year we all used to say to step inside the pocket but even still the rush would get you, but this year staying in the pocket is pretty effective. It sucks cause Strahan isn't owning as much as I would hope. :lol

I feel your D-Line pain. I'm torn on whether or not to let Pep do his thang or take him and cut off all you bastards TE's. It's a win win, or a lose lose as Matrix showed me lol.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Truelize said:
There is no way that my computer controlled player can outplay a human controlled safety and a computer controlled DB.

Hi. I'm DJ Tet, I don't think we've played yet lol.

I'm much more prone to give up a touchdown when screwing around with a safety than I am to intecept or knock down the ball. I don't know about the rest of these gameplanning freaks, but yeah, I'm not gaining much by controlling a DB lol

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I can show you the problem with manually controlled WR's later tonight. As far as DB blitzes though, you should be able to pick those up before the snap as the DB will lean in. By the way, True, I LOVE playing against people that use the safety. It's just too easy to rip 'em apart, I can't see what the problem you would have with that is.

Fifty:

02.jpg

4.aspx

04.jpg

f112118A.jpg

"Ah, my foot! My career, my passion, gone! Even if it is for a week I am so depressed... only one thing to do about this."

bollerlarge.jpg

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
The problem lies with trying to mislead the human controlled player where the computer would bite a fake or such. I know that's the point in playing humans and all. But I've had so many times where I had a step on a DB and had an open pass over the top and had a human controlled safety play superman speed and turn around and catch up and then jump 5 feet through the air to knock a pass down. Something that the the computer would have never been able to do.
Or
The human controlled safety picks a DB to double, runs over, bumps him with the DB, slows his progress and still has time to turn around and run cross field to either bat a ball down or even worse INT it. I might not be the best player in this league but we all know Vick throws lasers within 20 yards. So it's very humorous to see these amazing reactions by human controlled safeties and such.

I dont think for a second that people shouldn't be able to control these defensive positions. I love the challenge. And of course if the human controller player gets out of position and you can find the open man you got 6.
It just seems like a double standard that players can manually controller the DB or safety but the other player cant manually control the receiver. Even though we all know that the human controlled defender is going to have a HUGE advantage in that situation. If I throw the ball and see the defender is about to pick it off I should be allowed to attempt to get to it first or at least get some good position. Those are two things that my recieveing core CAN NOT do without my help.

That's all.

Slo

Oh, and about the line spread. I haven't really experiemented this year, but if it's anything like last year than I'm against it. I'm kind of suprised at a few of the names that are for it this poll, since I remember a few of you bitching at me about it in Madden 2005! :lol

But seeing as though the outcome of the last poll we did had absolutely no effect on the league, I don't know why I'd be concerned about this one either.

Ramirez

the OLine is MUCH better this year than it was last year.

I have one of the best o-lines in the real NFL,and I see absolutely no difference in their blocking than from last year,I've had Ben get sacked before he could even hand the ball off on a running play,I think even Slo blew up a play like that on a passing play in our game,I hiked it,instant sack...that doesn't have anything to do with the spread,I'm just saying the blocking is not "MUCH" improved,lawl.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Truelize said:
The problem lies with trying to mislead the human controlled player where the computer would bite a fake or such. I know that's the point in playing humans and all. But I've had so many times where I had a step on a DB and had an open pass over the top and had a human controlled safety play superman speed and turn around and catch up and then jump 5 feet through the air to knock a pass down. Something that the the computer would have never been able to do.
Or
The human controlled safety picks a DB to double, runs over, bumps him with the DB, slows his progress and still has time to turn around and run cross field to either bat a ball down or even worse INT it. I might not be the best player in this league but we all know Vick throws lasers within 20 yards. So it's very humorous to see these amazing reactions by human controlled safeties and such.

I dont think for a second that people shouldn't be able to control these defensive positions. I love the challenge. And of course if the human controller player gets out of position and you can find the open man you got 6.
It just seems like a double standard that players can manually controller the DB or safety but the other player cant manually control the receiver. Even though we all know that the human controlled defender is going to have a HUGE advantage in that situation. If I throw the ball and see the defender is about to pick it off I should be allowed to attempt to get to it first or at least get some good position. Those are two things that my recieveing core CAN NOT do without my help.

That's all.

Use the cone to suck them in. I've said too much.

edit: Like a moth to a flame, so go the weaker safeties of our lives...

Slo

Ramirez said:
I think even Slo blew up a play like that on a passing play in our game

"Durrrr, I'm not a back slapper, I'm a uh....THROAT STABBER! YOU'LL FIND OUT THE DIFFERENCE WHEN I FIND OUT THE DIFFERENCE!"

447-tice240x200.jpg

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
True,trust me you dont want some of us manually catching with WR's.You think I can catch the deep pass now,if you could have seen the things Fifty and I can do manually catching you wouldnt want to play in the league.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Cerebral Palsy said:
If the dline spread vote passes it'll be a fucking joke. It's hard enough dealing with the blitz as is this year.

Imagine the Ravens D with the spread allowed .... :(

Fifty

Yeah.....it still wouldn't be able to stop counters from Tatum Bell. I just lost to Ando, and he was using the CK school of clock killing in the 4th quarter. My D was so weak he had 17 first downs. I'm just pissed that my D couldn't stop such basic plays.....especially counters and one (nearly if not totally) money play to Putzier. 2 WR with a TE in the slot and a halfback split out left...Putzier runs an inside under route and the AI can't react in time to it. You'd think assigning a player with 99 Awr and who's much faster (Ray Lewis) would result in a few stops...nope. We both knew how good it worked and it got at least 2 clutch first downs. Oh well, I had to lose sometime

Matrix

"Yeah.....it still wouldn't be able to stop counters from Tatum Bell. I just lost to Ando, and he was using the CK school of clock killing in the 4th quarter."

This is the only thing that is annoying me a little about playing 5 min quarters,its too easy to sit on the ball if you get it first in the 4th and run the clock down in a close game.Find one running play thats hard to stop and work it over and over and its pretty much the game if you dont attempt to throw again.The only success I have found against money counters is goaline and then that leaves you open for tds :( My 3-4 D is weak and FMT said to try 4-3 and my last game against DCX I actually played worse D against the run using it :\

Fifty

Matrix said:
"Yeah.....it still wouldn't be able to stop counters from Tatum Bell. I just lost to Ando, and he was using the CK school of clock killing in the 4th quarter."

This is the only thing that is annoying me a little about playing 5 min quarters,its too easy to sit on the ball if you get it first in the 4th and run the clock down in a close game.Find one running play thats hard to stop and work it over and over and its pretty much the game if you dont attempt to throw again.The only success I have found against money counters is goaline and then that leaves you open for tds :( My 3-4 D is weak and FMT said to try 4-3 and my last game against DCX I actually played worse D against the run using it :\

Yeah. I'm not even saying he's a cheesy player. I'm sure I've run some plays that people think can't be stopped (ok, I'm not sure of that) but since those counters and passes to putzier were working so insanely well, I knew that I had no chance early on in the fourth. 17 first downs shows how well they worked. I tried zone, man, 46, 4-3, but the guys didn't do shit. I will say that since the Broncos have a great offensive line that it wasn't the most unrealistic thing I've seen but it does leave you feeling helpless.

Andokuky

Banned
I swear sometimes it just seems like no matter what defense you want to throw at him, Lewis is not going down without breaking 3-4 tackles. Complete shit. My counter plays should have worked even BETTER, but my blockers didn't wanna do shit. For instance, 4th quarter 1st and 10 I call a counter and it is Bell and two lead blockers out in the open. You come in with Demps and should have easily been blocked, springing me for an easy long touchdown run but instead bith blockers run away at the last second to block linebackers who won't even catch me and I get tackled for a 6-7 yard gain.

You can stop counters, you just have to control the right person. You aren't going to be stopping counters to the left side when you line up in a 46 all day and control/rest your icon on Rolle, completely across the field. When you run the ball, I am either Brandon or I am Lynch. I only had 3 broken tackles so the 140 yards were obviously just good playcalling. If I'd had something like Lewis's TD run of 38 yards after breaking no less than 732 tackles then I could see your point :lol

And if my pass to Putzier is a money play then so is your play where you drop way back and wait for ytour slot WR to stretch the field against the AI, or your post to Heap. Hell, he has over half of your receiving yards lol. If I had a money play to Putzier I think I would be a bit better than 5-3 and my stats would look more like yours :lol

And of course I killed clock, am I suppose to punt the ball back and give Jamal "I created the truck stick" Lewis to Mario run behind my line then bust off for a 70 yard TD like he did twice in our first game? No thanks :lol All you had to do was shift your defense and call the right plays to stop me. You saw what happened when I tried to run up the gut. -2 yards, -3 yards.

Slo

I think I just finished my the script of my first 15 plays for my game against Fifty.

#1 - counter to Bennett
#2 - Bennett left
#3 - Bennett toss
#4 - counter to Bennett
#5 - Bennett dive
#6 - counter to Bennett
#7 - counter to Bennett
#8 - counter to Bennett
#9 - counter to Bennett
#10 - Bennett left
#11 - counter to Bennett
#12 - counter to Bennett
#13 - counter to Bennett
#14 - counter to Bennett
#15 - counter to Bennett

Let's play!

Cloudy

Banned
Can I change my vote to ban d-line spread? I guess I should hot-block more but I tried it for a while and I was still getting sacked 1/2 a second after the snap sometimes. It's freakin' ridiculous. I can't believe we were bitching about 2K5's o-line last year :lol

So change my vote if it helps! :)

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Matrix said:
True,trust me you dont want some of us manually catching with WR's.You think I can catch the deep pass now,if you could have seen the things Fifty and I can do manually catching you wouldnt want to play in the league.

Ugh. It can get worse??

Use the cone to suck them in. I've said too much.

It's more about the double team bumping and recovery speeds that some guys seem to have.
I have no clue how to manually pass really, I was just coming from the angle where I didn't think it was cool to tell someone not to manually catch when it's ok to manually bump the snot of of a guy and get him out of his route (without penalty) when the game itself will never do that. Sure penalties are called more often but still not an incredible amount are called.

AZ Greg

dskillzhtown, I couldn't play yesterday, sorry.

I'm free anytime today, just send me a message on AIM - yumagreg1986

If I don't respond hop online and send a friend request to AZ Greg
I'll prob. be on live if I'm not on aim.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Fifty said:
I just lost to Ando, and he was using the CK school of clock killing in the 4th quarter.

depressedgirl.jpg

Alright, if this is going to become a problem I say we ban it and both Ando and I replay our games with our respective opponents.

BTW fifty I was posting those pics for bad juju for you in our game. :(

Ramirez

Hmm...you punted like 5 times it says Slo,but I'm almost positive I had no punt returns,did all of them go out of bounds?I can't remember...

Slo

Ramirez said:
Hmm...you punted like 5 times it says Slo,but I'm almost positive I had no punt returns,did all of them go out of bounds?I can't remember...

Darren Bennett is the MASTA of the pooch punt!

Mrbob

We shall now refer to Wellie as THE MILKER. :D

I barely escaped with a win in week 8 and feel lucky to come away with the W that game. The clock was my friend at the end.

Huge week 9 game coming up between me and icedragon. With the fifty loss, it now puts even more importance on this game. Not only is the game for the lead in the division, but now the game determines the front runner for the lead in the AFC conference. While the loser gets pushed down to the number 4 spot! After getting crushed at home in the first game, 24-12, can I muster up the spirit and resolve to bounce back and take charge of the conference on the road? Will Grossman, Jones, Moose (Who has dropped two open td passes in two consecutive games now C'MON MOOSE GET IT TOGETHER!), and my offense be able to make a dent against the Jets D? Will the Bears D get ripped apart by the hanging Chad once more or gashed up the middle for over 150 yards by Curtis my favorite Martin? The odds are stacked against me, but I must find a way to prevail!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
AZYUMA86 said:
dskillzhtown, I couldn't play yesterday, sorry.

I'm free anytime today, just send me a message on AIM - yumagreg1986

If I don't respond hop online and send a friend request to AZ Greg
I'll prob. be on live if I'm not on aim.

OK, I won't be home until like 7 Central at the earliest. I will hit you on AIM when I get in.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Mrbob said:
We shall now refer to Wellie as THE MILKER. :D

I've offered a viable solution! It's off my conscience!

I have a question about the overall ranking and the statistical weighting. A few weeks ago the most weighted stats included passing TDs, now what's more important is defensive stats. Are you guys changing it around?

Mrbob

Wellington said:
I've offered a viable solution! It's off my conscience!

I have a question about the overall ranking and the statistical weighting. A few weeks ago the most weighted stats included passing TDs, now what's more important is defensive stats. Are you guys changing it around?

:lol :lol :lol

Trying to boost your ranking status I see. :D

Matrix

Mrbob said:

Trying to boost your ranking status I see. :D

Trying to get banned I see :D

i was putting the deadline up on the mainpage with the players of the week, but it seemed like everyone was tuning into the thread here (where i usually announced when the league started so 4 days after it advances)

i will put it on the mainpage from now on

also, as far as manual catching goes, there will be no vote. it is fucking bullcrap and if you say otherwise it's because no one has beaten you with it.

also as far as clock milking goes, while i would never do it myself cause i think it's dirty, i can't outlaw it. the way i look at it, if it's the 4th quarter and you're winning, and the other team DOESNT want to use their timeouts, why shouldn't they be punished? give us some incentive not to milk the clock by using up your timeouts. just my opinion though

Fifty

hgplayer1 said:
hey i have a question. how do we know what the deadline is without asking the admins?

By solving a series of riddles.

Seriously though, the deadline is 4 days from when it advanced (not the harshest deadline since twice people have gone back to finish a game after we advanced) or whenever everyone is done.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
u should not be able to milk the clock early in the fourth... that is crazy... maybe with 3 minutes left or something... running the ball with a money play is whatever, but sitting on the play clock with 5 minutes left in the game, making a person lose all their timeouts before the 3:30 mark just doesnt seem right... I play people online that do that and it really pisses me off.... and then i think that it is just a game and I chill... but if i was sitting next to that person around the time i realize that he is milking it I would break his jaw. ok i am letting go... sorry

EDIT :

DREY when do you want to get our game in, u ignored my post yesterday and I know u played Demon, so let me know something....

well malley i am saying that i would never personally milk the clock, even in the superbowl. but it is kind of difficult to ban it. if you take care of business early in the game there will be no clock milking available to your opponent.

but i do agree with you that it is frustrating (and everyone ive played knows i always give you guys chances at the end of ball games!)

hgplayer1

cmon guys if a team with a 0-7 record is playing against a team that is 7-0 and the 0-7 team is leading, are you saying they shouldnt start using up some precious time early in the 4th to give themselves a better chance at the win? I sure as hell would though I might not take the clock down to the very last second every time. I wouldnt be rushing to the line thats for sure.

Mrbob

Wellington said:
Well of course, isn't that the point of stat tracking? To be the best?

Throw more TD passes then! :)

You can have the number one ranked team, I don't care. I'll take home the super bowl championship! :D

cmon guys if a team with a 0-7 record is playing against a team that is 7-0 and the 0-7 team is leading, are you saying they shouldnt start using up some precious time early in the 4th to give themselves a better chance at the win? I sure as hell would though I might not take the clock down to the very last second every time. I wouldnt be rushing to the line thats for sure.

of course not. i'm not exactly rushing to the line when i'm leading either, but i dont run it inside of 10 seconds or anything.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
You can't say you want sim and then ban possesion time. Milking is life. Geesh.

This is not a gentlemans game. This is football. Everyone needs to change their maxi-pad I think.

if i end up playing bob i plan on milking the clock from the opening drive. if i play my cards right, i should be able to get a fg as time expires in the first half and receive in the 2nd half for another lengthy drive, sealing my 3-0 win w/ 18:37 of possession time :D

Fifty

the real NFL doesn't have 5 minute quarters, True. Anyway, I agree with FMT in that I don't do it, or recommend it, but you should have taken care of business earlier. It still is weak IMO.

Top Bottom