• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the *NEW* Official Madden Xbox League Thread Season I: F U EA (Now with poll!)

Do you want 5 minute quarters, or 6 minute quarters?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fifty

Matrix said:
Thing is Fifty doesnt use the Ravens all the time,at the beginning he did cause he was getting use to his team this year and when he does use the Ravens against me now,its only to practice for his next weeks game and its usually my idea.Lately we have been scouting teams for season 2 and having fun playing with scrub teams.

Despite all my losses against the Ravens/Fifty's insane D,you know what,its made me a better player and I think its showed in my record.Last year without the cone my first season with the Texans I was 4-12,playing a team thats as good as the Ravens atleast twice a week this year helps you get better in this game even if you lose,things seem easier when you face teams that dont have the D they do.

Thats just my view on the whole Fifty/Ravens thing :p

yoda.jpg

"Much improved, Matrix has become"

Also...kudos to everyone for playing their games so fast. A couple people were thanking the commishes a few pages back, but it's you guys who deserve a ton of credit for always doing your stats and playing as often as you do. I think I'm welling up a bit! Thank you all and goodnight!

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Malleymal said:
True my aim is mrblack nj you can hit me up on there, I see u on my buddy list...

Yeah I must have deleted you over the last little while not knowing who you were. You are back on the buddy list. Buddy.

Matrix: I agree and I would play you guys more if anyone was available when I ask. I know I have said no when people have requested games from me less than 5 times this year. So it's not like I'm not available to play.

And I totally agree with playing players that are better than you. I've felt more comfortable with the game lately cause I've gotten to play against CP several times. Even though I have a hissy fit when he beats me over and over I've learned how to play against zone coverage much better.
CP completes me. :D

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
True,if I decide to play a game of madden tonight and you are free I'll look for you on aim.I might take a night off of Madden to try out NBA 2K6 after I go pick it up.

I didnt say Fifty was better than me ;P but his team sure is :lol OH NOES FIFTY IS GOING TO CRUSH ME IN WEEK 14 :( Nah if I played the likes of CK,Fifty and FMT everynight I think before long I would become an unstoppable force :p

PS- I know Fifty is better than me,I just hope he gets angry from my words cause he plays like shit when he gets angry :D

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
K obviously some of you don't understand what it means to "need practice".

Just to let you all know that if you decide to play me in a practice game you will likely win. I am very good at this game. You might even have several possesions in a row where I make stupid mistakes that result in turnovers and perhaps turn into an immediate score for your team. If the game becomes a blowout and I throw an interception I will likely pull all my players away from you allowing you to score the TD because I want the ball back. I need help on offense. I did not grow up with football and I still don't read defenses that well. Ask anyone that has played me. It's not secret.
I WILL NEVER CONCEDE DURING A GAME

I hope to play against the GAF crowd to get better at this game. If you are beating me you should still have enough balls to play honest defense so that I can attempt to learn how to play against players better than me.

If you feel that this is unfair to you, unfun or just a waste of your time (like Fifty felt today playing me. Thanks for the help man. Really appreciated) then please do not offer to play me.

I am honestly amazed that someone was upset because I was not good enough to offer and challenge and wouldn't concede cause it wasn't fun playing against a fellow GAFer that needed help.

Disappointing to say the least.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I'll tell you what though, it's frustrating to play you in an attempt to help and then for you to not have any ideas on what you want help with or what you want to do.

I remember a couple of times last year when I specifically asked FMT to help me with my running game, and we both just went at it with 100% running plays all the while he taught me the nuances. If you're going to come in with the mentality of having the other person just teach you things out of the blue, it won't work, this is not school.

Things like this is what strategy guides are for. I know you have the prima Madden 06 strat guide, and that's a good starting point. You claim you don't know too much about football as well, try using the strat guide on 1up.

Just forget about everything and think of it as the X's and O's that you see at the play calling screen is all that I can really say. The game is 90% what you do before the snap.

PS: As for what Matrix said, if you play me everyday you don't become an awesome player, you just become better at beating my tendencies.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Wellington said:
I'll tell you what though, it's frustrating to play you in an attempt to help and then for you to not have any ideas on what you want help with or what you want to do.

I remember a couple of times last year when I specifically asked FMT to help me with my running game, and we both just went at it with 100% running plays all the while he taught me the nuances. If you're going to come in with the mentality of having the other person just teach you things out of the blue, it won't work, this is not school.

Things like this is what strategy guides are for. I know you have the prima Madden 06 strat guide, and that's a good starting point. You claim you don't know too much about football as well, try using the strat guide on 1up.

Just forget about everything and think of it as the X's and O's that you see at the play calling screen is all that I can really say. The game is 90% what you do before the snap.

Well that's not what I was trying to do. I want to know what to do in certain situations. That's what FMT did with me last year.
"When you see the defense set up like this, you should do this"
Stuff like that. When you run a running play on me and it gets you 8 yards per carry I wouldn't mind knowing what you are doing to get those results.
I understand the game well enough to know what to do in some situations. But like I've said before my game totally falls apart once the other team adjusts to me. I don't enough plays or options in my bag of tricks to keep people guessing.
I mean I was losing to Fifty 17-10 at the start of the fourth and wound up losing by 30. That's what I call falling apart.

If you don't want to tell me what you are doing that makes you successful then don't worry. I understand. But Wellie, you made a comment about how you couldn't understand how I would use Duckett on a counter play. I had no clue that was a bad idea. That helped.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Truelize said:
Well that's not what I was trying to do. I want to know what to do in certain situations. That's what FMT did with me last year.
"When you see the defense set up like this, you should do this"
Stuff like that. When you run a running play on me and it gets you 8 yards per carry I wouldn't mind knowing what you are doing to get those results.
I understand the game well enough to know what to do in some situations. But like I've said before my game totally falls apart once the other team adjusts to me. I don't enough plays or options in my bag of tricks to keep people guessing.
I mean I was losing to Fifty 17-10 at the start of the fourth and wound up losing by 30. That's what I call falling apart.

If you don't want to tell me what you are doing that makes you successful then don't worry. I understand. But Wellie, you made a comment about how you couldn't understand how I would use Duckett on a counter play. I had no clue that was a bad idea. That helped.

Well there's a start. I'll tell you what I did. I ran right at you controlling hartwell, knowing that my LG would pick up Brooking. If you missed with Hartwell, my FB was free to hit Williams or the safety and spring me for good yardage. As I told you in game, do not control a player that already has high awareness, there's no point unless you're really good at the position you are trying to play. I just know you well enough to exploit you there. Notice that I did not run outside often, and when I did try I was stopped. (Remember that play with De'Angelo Hall?) Also remember that I had asked you in-game if you used any stunts, because that was making it much easier for me to run as well. I saw in the one we just played that it was my 89 rated LT beating your that made it look like it. My center almost always picked up your weak side DT.

I didn't say not to run a counter with Duckett, I said not to run Duckett the same way you do Dunn. Did you ever see me kick it outside with the much slower Brandon Jacobs? Never, there's no point, linemen could catch me. With your power RB you gotta run north/south. Hit the holes immediately, nothing fancy. Also, when running with Duckett and you find a good angle to the outside or something, never let a defender take you on at an angle. If you can take him on at 0s or 90s from the direction you are running. Square your shoulders and blast him with the truck stick or push him aside with a stiff arm (which NO ONE uses).

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Wellington said:
Well there's a start. I'll tell you what I did. I ran right at you controlling hartwell, knowing that my LG would pick up Brooking. If you missed with Hartwell, my FB was free to hit Williams or the safety and spring me for good yardage. As I told you in game, do not control a player that already has high awareness, there's no point unless you're really good at the position you are trying to play. I just know you well enough to exploit you there. Notice that I did not run outside often, and when I did try I was stopped. (Remember that play with De'Angelo Hall?) Also remember that I had asked you in-game if you used any stunts, because that was making it much easier for me to run as well. I saw in the one we just played that it was my 89 rated LT beating your that made it look like it. My center almost always picked up your weak side DT.

I didn't say not to run a counter with Duckett, I said not to run Duckett the same way you do Dunn. Did you ever see me kick it outside with the much slower Brandon Jacobs? Never, there's no point, linemen could catch me. With your power RB you gotta run north/south. Hit the holes immediately, nothing fancy. Also, when running with Duckett and you find a good angle to the outside or something, never let a defender take you on at an angle. If you can take him on at 0s or 90s from the direction you are running. Square your shoulders and blast him with the truck stick or push him aside with a stiff arm (which NO ONE uses).

:lol :lol Thats because It only fucking works 3% of the time

Fifty

And mainly because it's hard to reach. Try running while holding A and pressing black or white at a millisecond's notice...it's freaking hard as hell

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
ColdBlooded33 said:
:lol :lol Thats because It only fucking works 3% of the time

A stiff arm from LaDainian Tomlinson is just a bit different than a stiff arm from Jerome Bettis, for example. There's a very clear correlation in size and strength needed for truck stick and stiff arms. And aside from that, you're timing and placement needs to be good.

Edit: I let go of A to press white.... no problems there.

CB3

Truck Stick always works for LT, i almost always use it if im 1 on 1 on the outside with and Defensive player

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
ColdBlooded33 said:
Truck Stick always works for LT, i almost always use it if im 1 on 1 on the outside with and Defensive player

Against a smaller CB or safety, correct?

Fine fine, please educate us on the run, Cold. I want you to teach me how to run so that I end up with 0.8 yards per carry less than what I have. And ten more yards on only 48 more carries. ;)

hgplayer1

wow coaching is harder than it looks. I blame Parcells for my loss since he went for it on a bonehead 4th down situation and so did I.

4th and inches around my own 10 yard line and under 2 minutes in the game, Lonestar just called a TO so he only has 2 left. I figured I could QB sneak for the first down since I QB sneaked for a TD in the same situation. so I come up to the line and hes got the middle stacked. i get very worried. I audibled to another run play to see if he would react to it. when he didnt I decided to run it since he had everyone stacked in the middle. i motioned my TE inside and snapped the ball and everything seemed to be going well until the horrid sight of his DB coming in to tackle my guy a yard short. shoulda kicked the FG.

I slowed him down just enough so that he had to try a long FG and he only missed it on distance which Im sure was because of the heartbeat thing. oooooooooovertime.

he gets the ball and starts his drive with a 5 yard penalty. I had him at 3rd and 10 which I felt pretty good about, until he completed a 21 yard pass to convert. 8 plays later he kicks the FG to win it. I never touched the ball on offense again after that 4th down attempt.

most telling stat: Cowboys Red zone opportunities 6, 2 TDs, 0 FGs.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
2nd "week" in a row of heartburn. I somehow pulled out the OT victory.

Game started off funky, with HG throwing a pick inside his 30. I make my way to the goal line, and on a pass play to a TE, it's bounced into the air...and picked up by Shaun Alexander for a TD. "O...K?" I thought, I'll take it, it's points.

HG goes on a nice drive with a HB Flat pass for 30+ yards, and eventually goes in for the TD. I follow suit on the next drive (or so) on a nice pass to Alexander again. 14-7 at half.

It starts getting wierd here. I punt to begin the 2nd half, and hold him to a few first downs, and he punts. Peter Warrick decides not to catch the ball. Dallas with the ball inside the 20. He scores a TD a short time afterwards, 14-14. It goes back and forth into the 4th quarter, 14-14. I successfully stop him, and with 2 minutes or so left, I'm hoping to sustain a drive to the game winning FG Attempt. But, Warrick decides not to Fair Catch, and Boom, fumble, Dallas with the ball inside the 20.

He scratches his way to my 5 yard line, now with about 1:20 left in the game. 4th down, clock ticking. I'm pretty sure he calls up his FG team, but wanting time on the clock for my hopeful attempt, I call a TO. After that, he lines up in goalline, hoping to get the "INCHES" needed for the 1st down at the 4 yard line. HG runs a counter or a toss play to the right side, and by some miracle, there are people there to stop him just BARELY before crossing the down line. Turnover on downs.

On my own 5 yard line, 1st play right up the middle for 12 yards. And it's like this all the way to "I think" HG's 30 yard line. I'm in long FG range. Clock is inside 30 seconds, I go back for a safe pass, and just like 4 times before, SACKED. I decide, forget that, just run. SO I get back some lost yards, but now it's 4th down, prolly 15 yards to go for the 1st, at the 39-41 yard line, and let the time go to 2 seconds. 54 yard FG attempt, center hashmark. I angle it a little low for distance, 98 power 96 acc, BOOOOOOoooooomm...short. BARELY. On to OT.

I get the ball to start OT, and make my way down the field, even coming to a 3rd and long and SOMEHOW making the first. Make my way to around HG's 30 yard line, line up for a 42 yarder, and nailed it, 17-14. I'm glad I'm not playing HG anymore this season...2nd 17-14 game for us, and I think I have a bleeding ulcer. ROLAIDASTIC!

To make my longest post ever longer, here is EA's drive summary for the winning drive

12 plays 53 yards 2 minutes 22 seconds
7 run plays 37 yards
3 pass plays 21 yards
1 penalty -5 yards

1. -5 yard penalty
2. incomplete pass
3. 5 yard run Alexander
4. 21 yard pass to Engram
5. 7 yard run Alexander
6. 6 yard run Alexander
7. incomplete pass
8. 11 yard run Alexander
9. 5 yard run Alexander
10. 1 yard run Morris
11. 3 yard run Morris
12. 42 yard FG by Brown

hgplayer1

Lonestar said:
2nd "week" in a row of heartburn. I somehow pulled out the OT victory.

Game started off funky, with HG throwing a pick inside his 30. I make my way to the goal line, and on a pass play to a TE, it's bounced into the air...and picked up by Shaun Alexander for a TD. "O...K?" I thought, I'll take it, it's points.

HG goes on a nice drive with a HB Flat pass for 30+ yards, and eventually goes in for the TD. I follow suit on the next drive (or so) on a nice pass to Alexander again. 14-7 at half.

It starts getting wierd here. I punt to begin the 2nd half, and hold him to a few first downs, and he punts. Peter Warrick decides not to catch the ball. Dallas with the ball inside the 20. He scores a TD a short time afterwards, 14-14. It goes back and forth into the 4th quarter, 14-14. I successfully stop him, and with 2 minutes or so left, I'm hoping to sustain a drive to the game winning FG Attempt. But, Warrick decides not to Fair Catch, and Boom, fumble, Dallas with the ball inside the 20.

He scratches his way to my 5 yard line, now with about 1:20 left in the game. 4th down, clock ticking. I'm pretty sure he calls up his FG team, but wanting time on the clock for my hopeful attempt, I call a TO. After that, he lines up in goalline, hoping to get the "INCHES" needed for the 1st down at the 4 yard line. HG runs a counter or a toss play to the right side, and by some miracle, there are people there to stop him just BARELY before crossing the down line. Turnover on downs.

On my own 5 yard line, 1st play right up the middle for 12 yards. And it's like this all the way to "I think" HG's 30 yard line. I'm in long FG range. Clock is inside 30 seconds, I go back for a safe pass, and just like 4 times before, SACKED. I decide, forget that, just run. SO I get back some lost yards, but now it's 4th down, prolly 15 yards to go for the 1st, at the 39-41 yard line, and let the time go to 2 seconds. 54 yard FG attempt, center hashmark. I angle it a little low for distance, 98 power 96 acc, BOOOOOOoooooomm...short. BARELY. On to OT.

I get the ball to start OT, and make my way down the field, even coming to a 3rd and long and SOMEHOW making the first. Make my way to around HG's 30 yard line, line up for a 42 yarder, and nailed it, 17-14. I'm glad I'm not playing HG anymore this season...2nd 17-14 game for us, and I think I have a bleeding ulcer. ROLAIDASTIC!

ACK!!!!! I totally forgot about that play! I was covering the RB too and when I saw the pass go over us I let up a little. I also kinda forgot about my INT early in the game. I put all that crap behind me once I scored.

also Shaun Alexander is BS in this game. he was running straight into piles of people and would start hopping like itsa-me-marioooooooo and not get touched for like 5 yards.

CB3

Wellington said:
Against a smaller CB or safety, correct?

Fine fine, please educate us on the run, Cold. I want you to teach me how to run so that I end up with 0.8 yards per carry less than what I have. And ten more yards on only 48 more carries. ;)

Hey, Curtis Martin had 18 more attempts rushing last year than Shawn Alexander, and only had one more yard. Didnt matter, He still won the Rushing trophy, and is the same thing that i plan to do

1188.jpg

"You play to win the rushing trophy!"

hgplayer1

i have a theory that if you are running and defensive players are near you, the minute you hit A they will grab onto you. yet I continue to use the A button when people are near me.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
ColdBlooded33 said:
Hey, Curtis Martin had 18 more attempts rushing last year than Shawn Alexander, and only had one more yard. Didnt matter, He still won the Rushing trophy, and is the same thing that i plan to do

1188.jpg

"You play to win the rushing trophy!"

:lol!

You are SO lucky I am facing much tougher rushing Ds at the end of the season than you are. :lol I'll still get the trophy, even if I don't have a back that automatically breaks the first three tackles!

CB3

May i remind you i have to go up against fifty in less that a half an hour?

And i have the redskins upcoming as well.

EDIT: Plus you get a shot at the raiders D also!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
ColdBlooded33 said:
May i remind you i have to go up against fifty in less that a half an hour?

And i have the redskins upcoming as well.

EDIT: Plus you get a shot at the raiders D also!

I wish we could play each other for the last four games. If our prior games are any indication, I can see the statline for those games now...

Wellie: 82 carries 950 yards
Cold: 120 carries 375 yards

:lol :lol :lol

CB3

Wellington said:
I wish we could play each other for the last four games. If our prior games are any indication, I can see the statline for those games now...

Wellie: 82 carries 950 yards
Cold: 120 carries 375 yards

:lol :lol :lol

Wish all you want my friend, but thats not the way its gonna work out. Instead ill keep up my steady 200 rushings yards a game and trot along with the rushing trophy

Mrbob

ColdBlooded33 said:
Wish all you want my friend, but thats not the way its gonna work out. Instead ill keep up my steady 200 rushings yards a game and trot along with the rushing trophy

Don't worry, friend. I'm about to stuff CKs running game.

I'm holding him under 50 yards.

what if i pull the delicious hat trick of preventing you from winning the rushing title, prevent your perfect season, and somehow injure eli so that you are unable to ever use him again??

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
FrenchMovieTheme said:
what if i pull the delicious hat trick of preventing you from winning the rushing title, prevent your perfect season, and somehow injure eli so that you are unable to ever use him again??

Did you give your first born to satan already or are you going to wait a while?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
all this from a 5-7 team? Time spent just trying to run, leagues 2nd worst passing offense. WEEEEEEE!

Mrbob

I'm angry after my last game, Wellie. You don't want to play me when I'm angry. Kiss your undefeated season GOODBYE. I know your playbook as well as you do.

Don't worry Wellie. One of us will make sure you and your perfect season go home empty handed in the playoffs! All of that work for nothing! HOW SAD!

nfc west forever!

p.s. coldblooded, i still pounded you! the only reason you had 100 is that you were still running in garbage time despite being down by double digits. if you were actually trying to win you wouldn't have had squat :D but if you are satisfied being corey dillion during his bengals years be my guest chum! i will be enjoying the sweet nectar of the playoffs!

CB3

First play against Fifty, a 72 yard run

Yeah, thats how i roll...

EDIT: and a 89 Yard TD pass

And the haters go silent...

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
ColdBlooded33 said:
First play against Fifty, a 72 yard run

Yeah, thats how i roll...

EDIT: and a 89 Yard TD pass

And the haters go silent...

Jesus Christ you guys do anything to tarnish my amazing 12 game win streak. Slo and now Fifty suddenly begin skids after playing me in order to ruin my Opp Record stats. Fine, bitches.

CB3

Good God Close game Fifty, Other than my Wr's dropping so may balls i was running on all cylinders. GG

Fifty

A part of me died. I hope it wasn't the part that does the eating and sleeping or else I'm fucked.

edit: and yes it was a league game ando.....I'm gone for the next two nights probably so I didn't want to slow us down at the rate we're moving along we could be done by then.

Can someone please kill my offensive coordinator?

grumpyfassel.jpg

I think he's been sleeping with the Ravens male cheerleaders!

Brian.jpg

Looks like someone wants to play wide reciever

Om.jpg

Uh oh!

Jon.jpg

Ravens #1!

CB3

Lonestar said:
all this from a 5-7 team? Time spent just trying to run, leagues 2nd worst passing offense. WEEEEEEE!

Just by happy you didnt face me in the regular season my friend :)

Slo

iceDragon, I'll be able to play at 10:00 Central tonight like we agreed. If the game gets out of hand, lets try to keep the clock moving. I've got to be to work by 6:00 tommorrow.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Mrbob said:
I'm angry after my last game, Wellie. You don't want to play me when I'm angry. Kiss your undefeated season GOODBYE. I know your playbook as well as you do.

1) I can say with 100% confidence that you don't know shit about my playbook considering I change it based on who I am playing.

2) I don't know when I am going to be able to play. Today I have to try and finish those fuckin' reviews (Bane of my existence at this point), tomorrow I have to work until like 11 PM, Friday I am going out with some broad and hopefully won't be coming back home, Saturday I have a doctor's appointment, going out with a girl that I actually like, and then hitting a birthday thing, Sunday is real football and seeing girl #3 (I love being single :D). We can try to get it in early today if at all possible. :(

3) Ask Slo what happened to his top rated rushing D when I played him. I'd wager you will make the same play calling mistakes he did.

4) You're going to beat me anyway, stop trash talking. I have never ever been able to stop Thomas Jones and you know this. To compound that, I have never even been able to score more than like 10 points on you.

Slo

Wellington said:
1) I can say with 100% confidence that you don't know shit about my playbook considering I change it based on who I am playing.

2) I don't know when I am going to be able to play. Today I have to try and finish those fuckin' reviews (Bane of my existence at this point), tomorrow I have to work until like 11 PM, Friday I am going out with some broad and hopefully won't be coming back home, Saturday I have a doctor's appointment, going out with a girl that I actually like, and then hitting a birthday thing, Sunday is real football and seeing girl #3 (I love being single :D). We can try to get it in early today if at all possible. :(

3) Ask Slo what happened to his top rated rushing D when I played him. I'd wager you will make the same play calling mistakes he did.

4) You're going to beat me anyway, stop trash talking. I have never ever been able to stop Thomas Jones and you know this. To compound that, I have never even been able to score more than like 10 points on you.

First, learn to count. Then you can talk shit about my play calling. :lol

Top Bottom