• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Night Of - new crime limited series - HBO Sundays - 90 on Metacritic

sangreal

I don't like that it was his real name and the name of the pharmacy. A bit silly.

if you're not familiar with nyc, the show makes it seem like he shares the name of a pharmacy that just happens to be across the street which would be a huge coincidence, but to be clear duane reade is a huge chain and can be found on every other block in nyc

Sanjuro

if you're not familiar with nyc, the show makes it seem like he shares the name of a pharmacy that just happens to be across the street which would be a huge coincidence, but to be clear duane reade is a huge chain and can be found on every other block in nyc

Which is why he probably used the name.

I think the show (in a slightly clumsy manner) is trying to show how the prison system can turn a "good boy" into a violent individual, and maybe even a threat to the society if released. I wish there was more to Naz' transformation from a meek guy into this alpha dog.

There's this movie called A Prophet. It's about this dude who's a good boy when caught, but over time attempts to become the boss of the prison block. Maybe the show is sort of taking cues from that movie.

Complete shot in the dark here, but I'm starting to feel like Freddy had something to do with the killing. Not directly, of course, but through one of his "associates."

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not buying that this guy Duane Reed has anything to do with the this. B&E and Agg Assault isn't violent murder.

It doesn't matter, Stone just has to cast enough doubt on the jury.

The end seemed to be like somebody smashing a camera, or am I way off base?

I'm not buying that this guy Duane Reed has anything to do with the this. B&E and Agg Assault isn't violent murder.

I'm not buying that he's the culprit, but now I'm convinced he'll have some incredibly key information at the very least. But, with shows like this it could just be misdirection.

Loving the series so far.

Gray Matter

Good episode, but I feel like we're never going to get any credible info about the mirder. It's been 5 episodes and we know a tiny bit more than we did after the first episode.

RaidenZR

Good episode, but I feel like we're never going to get any credible info about the mirder. It's been 5 episodes and we know a tiny bit more than we did after the first episode.

The show seems to have more to say than "whodunnit". See below quote:

I think the show (in a slightly clumsy manner) is trying to show how the prison system can turn a "good boy" into a violent individual, and maybe even a threat to the society if released. I wish there was more to Naz' transformation from a meek guy into this alpha dog.

Yeah I'm getting that too. Although, not sure what you mean by clumsy. Seems straightforward A-to-B-to-C stuff any audience can track.

Yeah I'm getting that too. Although, not sure what you mean by clumsy. Seems straightforward A-to-B-to-C stuff any audience can track.
I just find it difficult to absorb that a nerdy college kid with no priors, drug or violent history would want to become the boss man of a prison block within span of few weeks. I guess I'm waiting for more exposition.

RaidenZR

I just find it difficult to absorb that a nerdy college kid with no priors, drug or violent history would want to become the boss man of a prison block within span of few weeks. I guess I'm waiting for more exposition.

He doesn't have boss man status though. He's literally shitting out smuggled drugs because he's Freddy's bitch right now. the TV thing with the other inmates seemed like a test of Freddy's "protection", a test in which he had nothing to lose. There were guards in that scene so at worst he would have just taken a couple punches or two.

a lot of things in the past 2-3 episodes have felt very clumsy and unsubtle to me, in ways that make certain moments feel silly and comical

for example the lingering shots of the lady pulling the bags out, followed by the handoff and Naz swallowing them mid-conversation with his lawyers. like, i get that he doesn't really have any other option there and has to swallow them right away, but what should have been a tense moment just came off as completely unintentionally hilarious to me. John's comment about it saved that scene in the end though, would have bugged me a lot more if he hadn't said anything. same with the picture of the niece in last week's episode, where what the show seems to be trying to convey isn't actually working for me

it's still great, easily the best drama HBO has aired since Show Me a Hero, but little on-the-nose things like that are bothering me a bit

Top Bottom