• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Night Of - new crime limited series - HBO Sundays - 90 on Metacritic

Deku Tree

They've got a LOT to cover in one finale. Any word on if it will be longer than 60 minutes?

Also, it's not pertinent to the main plot, but can someone explain Naz's dad's cab buyout situation? I get that he split the medallion with those other two guys, but does it really cost $250k for a medallion? What exactly was that $75k offer they were discussing?

Before Uber, a NYC medallion was worth over $1 million. Not sure what its worth today but I highly doubt its worth anywhere in that nhbd anymore. I can forgive the show for not taking Uber into account.

scabro

chandra kissing naz, naz still fucking lying to his defense about things hes done, guy who treats his cat allergy as being nigh deadly not closing the door right, lmao ok

the scene with the pathologist and the prosecutor was great though. almost thought they would do a quick cut right to them having sex or something. his face at the end was hilarious

Take it for what it's worth, but I checked my TV listings next Sunday and it has the timeslot as 9:00-10:45 (source: FiOS)

Also, we're not gonna find out who dun it, are we :(

pj

Banned
Yeesh is this show inconsistent and unrealistic.

That cross examination with the defense witness was one of the most awkwardly written things I've seen in 25+ years of TV viewing.

Why are investigations still being done as the trial is underway?

Part of the justification for Naz's ridiculous transformation is that we don't know how much time has lapsed, and it may be months. If that's the case then why are both the prosecution and defense seemingly shocked at every fact presented?

OMG he got into TWO fights??

OMG the cop gave the inhaler to the kid??

As much as people want this to be about the nitty gritty of the justice system, there sure is a bunch of B level TV drama bullshit heaped on top.

Was it the menacing step dad?? or the menacing hearse driver?? or the mysterious friend of the witness?? STAY TUNED

Nas will get released. Why else open the episode with another murder scene with the same MO? There is no reason to plant that unless it comes up later and it's clearly eating at Det. Box.

kevin1025

Banned
Nas will get released. Why else open the episode with another murder scene with the same MO? There is no reason to plant that unless it comes up later and it's clearly eating at Det. Box.

Yep. My original theory is that he will be found not guilty and then you realize he actually did do it. Plus I thought the cat was the key piece of evidence. Now my theory is more that the show is being more complicated with its approach, it's giving you all the strands and letting you run with it. I'm sure us as an audience will be given the answer, but maybe the characters won't receive that information in a way they understand. Given how bleak the show can be, I think it will end badly for Nasir, likely because of Freddy, right before some form of hope happens, like he's exonerated of his charges.

Or, it goes the cynical route, and Box just says "fuck it" and goes golfing instead of trying to follow it up (which would extend his career at least another year). Nas has to convince his mom to become a mule for him to survive and it breaks his family. The creepy step-dad, who hired Duane Reed to do the deed, gets off scott free with the money.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Dr. Katz was the real mvp. Loved his smug look.

2nd place goes to the actual cat for learning how to open doors and hand out love.

Or, it goes the cynical route, and Box just says "fuck it" and goes golfing instead of trying to follow it up (which would extend his career at least another year). Nas has to convince his mom to become a mule for him to survive and it breaks his family. The creepy step-dad, who hired Duane Reed to do the deed, gets off scott free with the money.

The show is going to great lengths to show what a farce the presumption of innocence is and how even brief contact with the correctional system can ruin your life. The show requires Nas to be proven innocent in order to punctuate those points.

kevin1025

Banned
I have no idea how the cat would tie into anything. What is your theory?

This was back during the premiere. I watched it twice and noticed all of the things that the camera lingered on, as the hints of what's going to be part of the investigation. The cat was shown an awful lot, the premiere even ended with Nasir's father finding out the taxi is missing and a cat runs across the frame. Ever since then Stone has been keeping it, saving it from being euthanized in the shelter and since then putting up with allergies and the cat litter and all that. I thought at first the cat would play into something, I honestly don't know how, haha. But now that it's been potentially weeks or even months, I don't see how it can.

Thinking on it for a second, Stone gets allergies and then notices the inhaler, so maybe that was the payoff to the whole cat thing.

Keep in mind, this is as someone who watches WAY too much television, maybe I'm picking up on things that aren't there.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The cat demonstrates Stones state of mind and his desire to help even when it is harming himself.

No way Deku, I will not have an aspect of the show showcasing a facet of a characters personality. Everything has to be about grinding the narrative forward! /s

Lamel

Banned
This was back during the premiere. I watched it twice and noticed all of the things that the camera lingered on, as the hints of what's going to be part of the investigation. The cat was shown an awful lot, the premiere even ended with Nasir's father finding out the taxi is missing and a cat runs across the frame. Ever since then Stone has been keeping it, saving it from being euthanized in the shelter and since then putting up with allergies and the cat litter and all that. I thought at first the cat would play into something, I honestly don't know how, haha. But now that it's been potentially weeks or even months, I don't see how it can.

Thinking on it for a second, Stone gets allergies and then notices the inhaler, so maybe that was the payoff to the whole cat thing.

Keep in mind, this is as someone who watches WAY too much television, maybe I'm picking up on things that aren't there.

I actually paid a lot of attention to the cat as well. Stone even says sarcastically to Chandra when she asks why he took the cat with "Why, is it evidence?"

But yeah I don't know how it can play a part.

Allforce

My wife theorized that Naz gets acquitted of the murder but he basically gets nailed for another crime in prison (like Petey's murder tonight). Freddy setting him up to keep Naz inside since he's pretty much proven to be a loyal soldier.

Basically, given enough time, a good kid goes bad thanks to the slow wheels of justice That's our lesson.

taybul

That cross examination with the defense witness was one of the most awkwardly written things I've seen in 25+ years of TV viewing.

Part of the justification for Naz's ridiculous transformation is that we don't know how much time has lapsed, and it may be months. If that's the case then why are both the prosecution and defense seemingly shocked at every fact presented?

As much as people want this to be about the nitty gritty of the justice system, there sure is a bunch of B level TV drama bullshit heaped on top.

Was it the menacing step dad?? or the menacing hearse driver?? or the mysterious friend of the witness?? STAY TUNED
Date on the CCTV when Chandra was leaving showed that it was February, 2015.

Amaaaaaazing amazing amazing. The final
murder
was so beautifully edited.

Saw it coming from a mile away, but didn't make it any less brilliant.

Cake Boss

Banned
Love this show, best show this year.

But god damn in this show, this world that they created is the most depressing god damn place ever, it looks like hell to live in this world that the show has portrayed. All the characters look miserable as fuck and can't wait for the world to end. All of them look like they hate their lives, and just barely getting through the grind.

Gengahrrr

My wife theorized that Naz gets acquitted of the murder but he basically gets nailed for another crime in prison (like Petey's murder tonight). Freddy setting him up to keep Naz inside since he's pretty much proven to be a loyal soldier.

He can easily own Naz from the outside as well, through his connections. That was always a lose lose situation. Eventually get murdered in prison or "owe" Freddy for his protection.

BearPawB

Banned
I agree that it was one of the most ridiculous trials I have ever seen on TV.

Testimony that shouldn't have been given.
Questions that would never be asked.

It was entertaining though

Great episode. This whole series has been amazing so far.

I had read some of the replies here before I watched the episode, and I was worried that Naz had been the one to kill dude at the end. Phew. Though he did have a hand in it, I'm just glad he wasn't the one to actually kill him.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I wonder if naz signing that paperwork at the exact same time
that dude was killed
will come back to haunt him.

Swig_

Basically, given enough time, a good kid goes bad thanks to the slow wheels of justice That's our lesson.

Maybe for another crime, but Naz was talking to an officer and has paper proof that he was doing so at the exact moment it happened. Not to mention video footage, which I would assume they would have at that location.

Youre not wrong. the menacing dad and hearse driver are such shitty written characters. Especially the hearse driver who goes on about some religious/sexist bullshit.

Come on. Realistically, not everyone is going to be some character.

Anyway, maybe it's just me, but it seems Freddie seems like he's an... okay friend? Doesnt really seem to want to hurt Naz or anything. They are tighter than ever if anything. Unless he simply wont let Naz make a clean getaway if he gets out of prison lol

For people asking about the trial... As an attorney who has tried many criminal trials, this is not how it works at all lol. This tv guys!

That said, I'm pretty sure that kiss is gonna end up being a huge deal.
they very clearly wanted us to see that it was recorded. But also, in the previews, you hear Stone making he closing argument. Why wouldn't Chandra be making it??

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
For people asking about the trial... As an attorney who has tried many criminal trials, this is not how it works at all lol. This tv guys!
I hope everyone knows that. It's the biggest letdown of how this series has progressed. It seemed like it was going to be detail oriented and realistic, but the handling of the investigation and the trial have left a lot to be desired.

the cat killed her. duh

crustikid

Watch some court tv if you want reality. This is HBO drama goddamnit.

I think the cat gave Naz the scratches on his back the night of, but I'm not clear how it'll play into the case since it means Stone would have tampered with evidence (?) as well. Loving the contrasts in justice's scales between the two sides.

Cop v. lawyer
Young attorney v. Exp. attorney
An inhaler at the scene of a crime portrarying an unlikely criminal v. A used inhaler at the scene of a crime portraying a transformative sinbad

The actor playing Naz's father is great (and so was the expert witness). You should check out his 2011 film A Seperation.

I can not stand the actress who plays the DA. What the hell is wrong with her? She can barely move, speak, or muster facial expressions. She's slurring her way through this shit Marlon Brando style, except without being famous or talented. Her face is an immovable mass of steak that barely lets words come out of it.

Top Bottom