• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

What do you base this prediction on? Most people suspect just the opposite will happen.

Like the NES stuf in the 2000s and the SNES stuff currently in the 2010s, people who grew up playing the games start pulling in disposable income and both demand and value spikes as they buy back their memories. You've never heard of this phenomenon?

Like the NES stuf in the 2000s and the SNES stuff currently in the 2010s, people who grew up playing the games start pulling in disposable income and both demand and value spikes as they buy back their memories. You've never heard of this phenomenon?
I've heard that emulation generally neutralized this phenomenon given that the actual N64 hardware looks so bad on modern HDTV's.

Kokonoe

Banned
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GoldenEye-0...6600?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item4acf88c3a8
RaWsxYBl.jpg

Must be the zombie version.

Worth noting though that the uncensored swears can only be heard on second and subsequent playthroughs in the N64 version. It's censored first time round just like the remake.

No, that's wrong. First time through the N64 version has a LOT less censors over the language than first time through the Xbox version.

npa189

I just realized, I got my N64 on feb 14th 1997. that was seventeen years ago. that's insane, my N64 could drive a car.

-KRS-

Some? Every N64 cart I've opened have had them. If you mean the metal shield thingy inside the cart that is secured with two regular screws that is.

Teknoman

Some? Every N64 cart I've opened have had them. If you mean the metal shield thingy inside the cart that is secured with two regular screws that is.

Each one I've opened (not many, admittedly) was also like this.

Yeah now that I really look at the bottom of the rest, I see. Surprised I never noticed it when I removed the back of Sin and Punishment to add an NA cart back. Then again, maybe I didnt really pay attention :p

Rebuilding a long ago stolen 64 collection; picked up a few games last week via ebay, including a complete copy of Super Mario 64 Rumble Pak Edition.

IMAG0594_zps11ee6f62.jpg

Goody

Hello, N64 collector-GAF. Really been focusing on the N64 lately. It's probably one of the most fun systems to collect for. At least for me. Focusing on games outside of what's offered on the VC.

My current collecting goal is all the FPS games on the N64. Not much so far, just Turok, GoldenEye, and Perfect Dark. I just have a really soft spot for that particular era of that genre, especially Doom 64. I used to switch over to the map screen when my mother walked in the room, since guns were taboo in our house. My mom must've have wondered why I like this game about triangles so much.

Anyways, would you guys say that the Performance memory cards are the way to go, since the batteries are so easy to swap out? I just picked up Turok today and enjoyed what I played, but would actually like to continue playing it.

Hello, N64 collector-GAF. Really been focusing on the N64 lately. It's probably one of the most fun systems to collect for. At least for me. Focusing on games outside of what's offered on the VC.

My current collecting goal is all the FPS games on the N64. Not much so far, just Turok, GoldenEye, and Perfect Dark. I just have a really soft spot for that particular era of that genre, especially Doom 64. I used to switch over to the map screen when my mother walked in the room, since guns were taboo in our house. My mom must've have wondered why I like this game about triangles so much.

Anyways, would you guys say that the Performance memory cards are the way to go, since the batteries are so easy to swap out? I just picked up Turok today and enjoyed what I played, but would actually like to continue playing it.

I would absolutely recommend working 1x Performance memory cards for anyone who isn't able to replace batteries themself, yes. Don't buy their compressed cards with more than the usual amount of space, and they can fail, but no more often than any other N64 memory cards, from my experience. I love the Performance cards because those battery clips make replacing the battery so easy! And if you swap them quickly, you can even maybe not lose the files...

boyshine

So, I'm not getting the picture quality from my RGB N64 that I expected. Sharpness is good, but light scenes are over exposed, and no matter how much I calibrate the TV I can't get close to the correct color/brightness/contrast balance. I'm still waiting on my original Nintendo RGB cables, so does anyone know if there is a huge difference between 1st and 3rd party RGB cables?

This is what I use right now:

rgbspider.jpg

I'm getting slowly mad(and tired) at the controller situation for the N64.
I paid 30 euros(!) for a brandnew official controller some days ago and I was getting away "cheap".
ALL 3rd party ones are extraordinary crappy(I bought several in the last years) except the ridiculously expensive hori controller(I will not pay 100+ for a new one).

I just bloody hope some chinese manufacturer gets it right soon and uses better parts for the control stick. In their current condition they are all useless. Games are pretty much impossible to play.

What does everyone else use?

side note: I'm also done buying used official ones and fixing broken ones.

Rich!

I paid 30 euros(!) for a brandnew official controller some days ago and I was getting away "cheap".
ALL 3rd party ones are extraordinary crappy(I bought several in the last years) except the ridiculously expensive hori controller(I will not pay 100+ for a new one).

I just bloody hope some chinese manufacturer gets it right soon and uses better parts for the control stick. In their current condition they are all useless. Games are pretty much impossible to play.

dude. buy this:

Competition Pro.

Amazing stick, great build, cheap. I have four - one has lasted since 1998, and is still as good as new. It kicks the shit out of the official pad - only negative point is the shitty D-Pad, but who gives a shit about that when it's for the N64?

Fred-87

And about what age do people get nostalgic about? For me the strongest is up untill age 16 i guess. So if that is the case.. And lets say from age 26 people start to have disposable income, finished college and everything. So that could mean that in 10 years time the value of playstation 3 games for example could rise already? I cant imagine that

And about what age do people get nostalgic about? For me the strongest is up untill age 16 i guess. So if that is the case.. And lets say from age 26 people start to have disposable income, finished college and everything. So that could mean that in 10 years time the value of playstation 3 games for example could rise already? I cant imagine that

I said the same thing about NES and SNES games.

Kainazzo

I purchased my current official controllers near the end of the console's life in 2001. I may've gotten lucky, or they improved manufacturing, but I've never had a problem with the sticks.

I heard about the wear issue a couple of years later, so I took the stick apart and lubbed it with Vaseline, maybe that's what saved it. Incidentally, I opened it again a year ago and it was still great, no markings or shaved plastic, even after over a decade of use. If it was the lube that made the difference, then I wish Nintendo had thought to do the same. Surely they knew?

If only past me knew to stock up on official controllers when they were on clearance for $5.

Seik

Banned
For those upset about the stick:

I made this thread a while ago.

I still have the same controller with the same stick, played shitloads of games with it and it's still centered perfectly. Seriously, if you want my two cents, go for it. It's cheap, good, and does the job perfectly.

I still have the same controller with the same stick, played shitloads of games with it and it's still centered perfectly. Seriously, if you want my two cents, go for it. It's cheap, good, and does the job perfectly.
Third-party analog sticks don't work well with Super Smash Bros. which is unfortunate as many people still enjoy playing that game.

I've actually had better results using the Xbox 360 controller to play SSB via Project 64 than the N64 third-party analog sticks which are imprecise with respect to smash attacks.

boyshine

It says it's digital, not analog. So, what does that mean? 8 directions, on/off? That sounds horrible.

Goody

I would absolutely recommend working 1x Performance memory cards for anyone who isn't able to replace batteries themself, yes. Don't buy their compressed cards with more than the usual amount of space, and they can fail, but no more often than any other N64 memory cards, from my experience. I love the Performance cards because those battery clips make replacing the battery so easy! And if you swap them quickly, you can even maybe not lose the files...
Picked one up today and I'm happy to report that it works just fine. I went ahead and picked up a battery and swapped it out. Scared me a bit when I got a controller pak damaged error message when I booted Turok up, but cleaning the contacts remedied that problem and I've been playing Turok and Quake II all afternoon.

I'm having a really good time with the 64 right now. I had one when they first came out but I honestly don't remember having that many games for it. I had Smash, both Zeldas, Mario Kart, Perfect Dark, Harvest Moon, and maybe some others I can't recall and that's pretty much it. I didn't even have Mario 64 (though I have since played it on VC) or GoldenEye (and I've remedied this as well). I'm playing Turok now and, as far as I'm concerned, it totally holds up. This style of FPS really agrees with me.

Seik

Banned
It says it's digital, not analog. So, what does that mean? 8 directions, on/off? That sounds horrible.

To be honest I can't say what difference it makes from being digital.

All I can say is that I enjoyed many titles with it. (OoT,SM64,B&K,B&T,GoldenEye, S&P, etc.) and it was pretty solid

Rich!

All I can say is that I enjoyed many titles with it. (OoT,SM64,B&K,B&T,GoldenEye, S&P, etc.) and it was pretty solid

I have a few, and I can state exactly what the issue is.

It's digital not in direction but in sensor. It's calibrated to pick up the positioning differently to the original stick which uses analog tracking. Normally that would be cool, but the manufacturer of the GC style sticks fucked things up - it does not have the full range, and the range is square and not a hexagon. As such, it's almost impossible to use for precise movements. in most cases it's fine, but aiming precisely in Goldeneye or with the Mario 64 cannon is torture.

There is a mod available online - you can reprogram an actel chip and create a new board for the stick which makes it register correctly, but that's a huge amount of effort.

Best bet for the N64 without a doubt is still the competition pro controllers. Every N64 owner owes it to themselves to own one.

boyshine

OK, I found a few other sellers of what seems to be the same stick, and they specifically state it's not optimal for precision control games, using GoldenEye as the example. Your support for the product both here (OP and again now) and with a separate thread lead me to ask if you're connected to eBay shop videogamessource or website classicgamesource in any way?

Also.. "pretty solid" is not the same as great. I find your endorsement convoluted. You're trying to make it sound like a safe buy, not saying anything negative, but at the same time you're not giving it top marks. You're sounding like a seller, not a consumer.

Sorry for being a skeptic.

So, I'm not getting the picture quality from my RGB N64 that I expected. Sharpness is good, but light scenes are over exposed, and no matter how much I calibrate the TV I can't get close to the correct color/brightness/contrast balance. I'm still waiting on my original Nintendo RGB cables, so does anyone know if there is a huge difference between 1st and 3rd party RGB cables?

This is what I use right now:

rgbspider.jpg

i use that sam cable and an official gamecube rgb one but thr diffrrences are slight im afraid.

Seik

Banned
OK, I found a few other sellers of what seems to be the same stick, and they specifically state it's not optimal for precision control games, using GoldenEye as the example. Your support for the product both here (OP and again now) and with a separate thread lead me to ask if you're connected to eBay shop videogamessource or website classicgamesource in any way?

Also.. "pretty solid" is not the same as great. I find your endorsement convoluted. You're trying to make it sound like a safe buy, not saying anything negative, but at the same time you're not giving it top marks. You're sounding like a seller, not a consumer.

Sorry for being a skeptic.

Hahaha, let's not get on out high horses here.

I understand your feeling, but I'm no seller, just an enthusiast collector, this I swear. :)

I just genuinely had a good experience with the stick, what can I say more? Since I installed this stick I only played my N64 games with this controller and I'm happy with it. I'd say that it's more ignorance than anything, I didn't even know there was digital/analog stick for the N64 and the differences between both.

It's been a while since I tried Goldeneye though, and by trying I mean only doing the 'Dam' mission so maybe I should give it a run and come back with a more updated impression. I think I remember having problems with the cannon in SM64 too but this problem aside I breezed through the game without much difficulty.

My apologies if it felt as if I was a Ebay seller, but you're wrong here. To be fair I don't think a company like this would spend money and time on a guy to push N64 replacement sticks in gaming forums either. :p

It will upscale your console through composite or S Video, but you won't get the results I get unless it's RGB modded like mine - PAL consoles do not have that option.

How much are the upscalers? Do they output in component or HDMI? I am in the UK but have import systems for old consoles, including my Japanese N64. I have always just used S-Video on it as the RGB mod is beyond my soldering skills.

Even though stretching a 4:3 game to 16:9 is blasphemy, I just tried out Wave Race 64 in widescreen via my RGB N64 and Framemeister, and it looks fucking fantastic:

Just look at that, bearing in mind the muted colours and lack of focus caused by my phone camera

Holy fuck balls. The best game of all time looks awesome with that upscaler. I need one!!

NotLiquid

Was at a Sci-Fi Convention yesterday and was pretty excited about the fact that they had a Retro collection since I looked to expand my N64 collection a bit. The instant I find the booth they have a shiny, completely mint, shrink-wrapped copy of Conker's Bad Fur Day on display. You could see it from a pretty large distance.

I was ready to jump right into my wallet and fork over the cash until the guy told me it was $350.

Then I walked away slowly with my eyes still focused on the game in the distance and I'm pretty sure a single tear came out of my eye.

I remember when Toys "Я" Us used to sell Conker's Bad Fur Day for around $2. They had dozens of copies at every store. I should have bought it back then. I was going to, but never did. Heh.

I remember when Toys "Я" Us used to sell Conker's Bad Fur Day for around $2. They had dozens of copies at every store. I should have bought it back then. I was going to, but never did. Heh.

Yup. eBay used to be filled with mass blowouts. I remember lots of 20 sealed copies for $30. Wish I would have bought them.

Rich!

How much are the upscalers? Do they output in component or HDMI? I am in the UK but have import systems for old consoles, including my Japanese N64. I have always just used S-Video on it as the RGB mod is beyond my soldering skills.

The XRGB Mini outputs via HDMI. It cost me £220 from Solaris Japan plus £20 customs/handling charge. Only extra cost was a RGB Euro SCART to XRGB adapter cable which cost around ten quid, and then, apart from the mega drive which needed a new cable, I just used the cables I already had to link up to it with a multiplug scart adapter.

a couple of images I took of it on my HDTV:

definitely worth the money if you are a fanatic about retro gaming

Top Bottom