• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

The Virtual Console version of Super Smash Bros. is excellent if you're itching to play it again but don't want to spend 40 to 50 dollars for the cartridge. It even plays brilliantly with the Classic Controller Pro if you don't have a backwards compatible Wii.

Wave Race 64 looks absolutely gorgeous in progressive scan on a good HDTV and the gameplay is as rock solid today as it was all the way back in the late 1990's.

The gameplay is perfect, it's perhaps one of the few games where one can make such statement.
No argument out of me, I agree that Wave Race 64 has perfect gameplay and I like the way the VC version doesn't look stretched when played in widescreen 16:9 mode.

-KRS-

The Virtual Console version of Super Smash Bros. is excellent if you're itching to play it again but don't want to spend 40 to 50 dollars for the cartridge.

It's crazy how much that game has gone up in price the last few years. One of the few N64 games that I think has become too expensive to be worth it in recent years. I bought a PAL copy CIB for around $30 a few years ago and I feel so lucky now lol. Paper Mario I can understand because that came out late and probably didn't sell that well, but Smash Bros? I would've thought that was one of the better selling games on the system.

Speaking of numbers, which were the best selling N64 games anyway? Other than Mario 64, GoldenEye and Zelda that is. I guess Turok is probably up there too.

Rich!

No argument out of me, I agree that Wave Race 64 has perfect gameplay and I like the way the VC version doesn't look stretched when played in widescreen 16:9 mode.

Even though stretching a 4:3 game to 16:9 is blasphemy, I just tried out Wave Race 64 in widescreen via my RGB N64 and Framemeister, and it looks fucking fantastic:

iEJzYZzjgpera.jpg

Just look at that, bearing in mind the muted colours and lack of focus caused by my phone camera

While F-Zero X isn't as pretty as Wave Race 64, it's still a game that every racing fan should experience. It has some of the most brilliant tracks I've ever enjoyed on any racing game across a multitude of different consoles.

IrishNinja

^literally true of just about every scene right now, man...guess it was a mattter of time

i wasn't married to the idea of getting Ogre Battle i guess, only things left on my list currently are F-Zero X (cheap), Castlevania whatever 2 (not too bad), Mysitcal ninja Goemon (not too bad i think?), and Conker (stupid high). one day ill lose my goddamn mind & hunt down a 64DD as well as some stuff like F-Zero, Mario Paint whatever, Animal Crossing etc and find out just how deep the well goes

also how do Shadowgate 64 & Megaman 64 hold up?

Rich!

so...playing through a load of N64 titles via my console on the framemeister and goddamn, 2D elements are crisp as hell:

just look at that. just imagine how good a pure 2D sprite based title would have looked on the N64.

but are there any? nooooo. just the select few (ogre battle, yoshi's story). ah well

so...playing through a load of N64 titles via my console on the framemeister and goddamn, 2D elements are crisp as hell:

just look at that. just imagine how good a pure 2D sprite based title would have looked on the N64.

but are there any? nooooo. just the select few (ogre battle, yoshi's story). ah well

Bakuretsu Muteki Bangaioh would be a good one to test out but that shit's mad expensive.

Maxrunner

framemeister?

edit: upscaler i see, will this make any difference on pal n64s???

When I played the Project 64 emulation of F-Zero X I was amazed at how good it looks! The Wii Virtual Console version isn't bad but a few textures have been changed so it's different from the original console version.

F-Zero X really stands head and shoulders above most other N64 racing games so if you're even mildly interested in the genre I suggest giving it a go.

Here's a picture from my collection of F-Zero X along with its notable contemporaries.

Threeracinggames_zps0d087d59.jpg

Rich!

framemeister?

edit: upscaler i see, will this make any difference on pal n64s???

It will upscale your console through composite or S Video, but you won't get the results I get unless it's RGB modded like mine - PAL consoles do not have that option.

Rich!

Well there seems to at least a converted cable that outputs in s-video instead of composite...i guess that will help...

For sure. But upscaling a PAL console is really a lost cause. It'll still look crap with the borders and lower framerates.

Nemesis_

Hey guys, just wondering what the best controller to use for emulation is? I'm preferably looking for an option that I can use on both my consoles (ie. a Wii U Pro Controller on both my emulator and my Wii U) without having to do a sync on both each time I want to use them on either the emulator or the console itself.

I own every type of controller available - so availability is not a problem. but which is the easiest and best to use?

Hey guys, just wondering what the best controller to use for emulation is? I'm preferably looking for an option that I can use on both my consoles (ie. a Wii U Pro Controller on both my emulator and my Wii U) without having to do a sync on both each time I want to use them on either the emulator or the console itself.

I own every type of controller available - so availability is not a problem. but which is the easiest and best to use?

No sync? then Wireless controllers are out of the question.

Best answer is a PS2 controller with this adapter http://www.siliconera.com/2012/11/30/sure-why-not-connect-a-ps2-controller-to-your-wii-u/

pikablu

Ok so I have a weird question. Was there a sports game for N64 that had a cheat that allowed you to play an entire different sport?

For instance in a basketball game you could input a cheat and play baseball on the court.

I could've sworn I read about this in one of my Nintendo Powers. It might have been an April Fools thing though. I can't remember. Can anyone possibly help?

Peagles

Picked up a CIB N64, it's the Asian version though, never seen one before and can't find much about it online. As far as I can tell it basically functions as a JP system but the power brick is similar to ours here in New Zealand. It's also RGB-moddable according to the serial number so I will likely do that upgrade shortly.

Will update with pics later!

Lynd7

I regret selling some of my N64 games back when the Cube was coming out. Like all boxed games that I own first, they were in perfect condition. It's way too expensive to build a nice boxed collection these days..

I want to get an NTSC system in the future though. So I may just aim for nice condition carts with manuals then go and get some of those retro game cases online. It'd look nice enough.

-KRS-

So I picked up Rayman 2 last week and I finally had a chance to play it a bit today. I played the 3DS version of the game on my friends 3DS back when it came out and really thought it sucked ass, but the N64 version seems to be pretty damn good actually. It definitely seems to be one of the better 3D platformers for the system. And I never thought I'd say this about an N64 game, but the framerate is way better than the 3DS version. Even when you set the resolution to high. Might be one of the few N64 games where setting the resolution to high won't make the game run like complete ass.

Higher resolution, streamed music, Dreamcast-exclusive bonus games (including at least one multiplayer one)... yeah, it's up there.

Kinda wish the PC version supported analog, though. Not sure how they forgot that one.

neoflcl

Higher resolution, streamed music, Dreamcast-exclusive bonus games (including at least one multiplayer one)... yeah, it's up there.

Kinda wish the PC version supported analog, though. Not sure how they forgot that one.

Yeah, I'd say the Dreamcast version of Rayman 2 is the best, with Nintendo 64 coming in at second place. The Dreamcast and N64 versions are almost the same, but the Dreamcast looks nicest, runs at 60 frames per second, and, like you said, has some nice bonus content!
In my opinion, I'd say they both trump the PS2 edition, just because it added a lot of stuff that I didn't care for, like a hub world and arbitrary extra enemies. It also, surprisingly, looked a little worse than the Dreamcast version in some spots, the framerate was inconsistent (it stuggled to maintain 30fps in a lot of cases), and it had longer loading times.

(Sorry about all the Rayman 2 nonsense spiel!)

And I never thought I'd say this about an N64 game, but the framerate is way better than the 3DS version. Even when you set the resolution to high. Might be one of the few N64 games where setting the resolution to high won't make the game run like complete ass.

Man, the N64 version really runs better than the 3DS version? I knew the 3DS port was bad, but yikes!

Also, I have noticed that a lot of N64 games chug in high-resolution mode. It's a shame, but I guess it's nice to have the option!

I don't know what you are talking about, but the PC version of Rayman 2 supports analog and always has. Rayman 2 PC supports one analog stick, for analog movement. It doesn't have dual-stick analog camera control, but PC gamepads then didn't have two analog sticks, and nor did the N64, so it wouldn't. I even just launched the game again to make sure, and yes, works fine in analog with any directinput controller.

That the PC versions of Rayman 1 had gamepad support, Rayman 2 analog gamepad support, and Rayman 3 dual analog gamepad support, was definitely one of the reasons why I found Beyond Good & Evil for PC's complete lack of any gamepad support so disappointing... playing Rayman 2 or 3, then that game, really is a huge difference for the worse in terms of controls; without analog controlling a character in 3d is harder, but yes, PC Rayman 2 has analog support.

As for versions, the PC version supports the highest resolutions, but it doesn't have any of the DC (or PS2) extras -- it's just the N64 version, but with higher res support. That makes sense, considering that the game launched first on PC and N64, and the other versions came later. The PC version is the one I bought back in '00, so it's probably my favorite, but the Dreamcast version is also really great, and I like its extras. PS2... not so much, those additions I don't like. As for the N64 version, it's good, but the PC version is a better version of the same thing... this is why I still don't own the game for N64. Overall, if you get one console version, the DC version is the best choice.

As for the handheld versions, I've never played them.

I was under the impression it didn't, but I suppose I could be mixing it up with Soul Reaver (which I know doesn't support analog on PC).

Peagles

Picked up a CIB N64, it's the Asian version though, never seen one before and can't find much about it online. As far as I can tell it basically functions as a JP system but the power brick is similar to ours here in New Zealand. It's also RGB-moddable according to the serial number so I will likely do that upgrade shortly.

Will update with pics later!

Here's some box shots, looks like it's the Hong Kong version which is basically NTSC-J with English packaging, weird!

I was under the impression it didn't, but I suppose I could be mixing it up with Soul Reaver (which I know doesn't support analog on PC).

Well I know Rayman 2 for PC does support analog. As I said, I just played it some today. It's still a really fantastic game, too! Rayman 2 is one of the three best 3d platformers of its generation, along with Mario 64 and Donkey Kong 64.

I have originally bought by me copies of Mario 64, Goldeneye, Conker, Perfect Dark, Banjo 1, Smash Bros, Mario Golf, Starfox, Wayne Gretzkeys 3D Hockey and the Collectors Gold Zelda. All have the original boxes and are in great/mint shape, since I kept the games stored separately in green cases which I bought directly from Nintendo. I'll throw some pics up sometime, wonder what those are worth these days?

I have originally bought by me copies of Mario 64, Goldeneye, Conker, Perfect Dark, Banjo 1, Smash Bros, Mario Golf, Starfox, Wayne Gretzkeys 3D Hockey and the Collectors Gold Zelda. All have the original boxes and are in great/mint shape, since I kept the games stored separately in green cases which I bought directly from Nintendo. I'll throw some pics up sometime, wonder what those are worth these days?

Conker is worth a decent amount

Galdius

I decided to go for the NTSC fullset last week. I'm at 25% (around 80 games) but I can't seem to find a good list to use. Does anyone here have one?

I'm going for a CIB/loose set. Some games I will have CIB and some loose. I already got one Sculptor's Cut but it's loose. I don't think I will get a CIB one in the near future so I'm ok with this one.

The pricier CIB games I need to decide if I will bite their high price or will go the loose route.
The sports games will be almost all loose.

The other games will be sometimes loose and others CIB.

I already have some of the Nintendo published games CIB so this will save me some money.

Conker is worth a decent amount

Interesting, I would`ve thought Golden Ocarina with the holographic cover would`ve been worth more, but I guess they probably pumped out a ton of those. Them re-releasing it on various platforms probably hurt its value a bit too.

The Conker box is still in its original plastic with the $79.99 price sticker on it, I only opened the plastic on one end of the box to get the game out. Wished I would`ve done that with the other games as well. Last N64 game I purchased... sniff sniff... haha.

Interesting, I would`ve thought Golden Ocarina with the holographic cover would`ve been worth more, but I guess they probably pumped out a ton of those. Them re-releasing it on various platforms probably hurt its value a bit too.

The Conker box is still in its original plastic with the $79.99 price sticker on it, I only opened the plastic on one end of the box to get the game out. Wished I would`ve done that with the other games as well. Last N64 game I purchased... sniff sniff... haha.

I think the holographic cover is actually the more common box variant (unless I'm mistaking it for Majora's Mask), and yes there were millions printed, but at the end of the day, it's not about rarity, it's about what people what people are willing to pay. I see N64 stuff spiking in the next couple of years like the SNES stuff did in 2013.

Top Bottom