• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Rich!

It's hard to justify spending big bucks for an upscaler when emulation looks so good. Here's my video review of the Wii Virtual Console version of Super Smash Bros. which was filmed right off of the TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8hBbQjSb3U

Game is being played in progressive scan on a 40 inch Sharp Aquos LCD TV.

Because N64 emulation is currently a steaming pile of shit. Also, having original hardware and tech beats emulation, hands down - always. Unless it's the Wii, of course.

Peagles

PC emulation is crap but I have to give respect where it's due to Wii VC. Nintendo have their own emulation locked down.

Picobrain

Banned
wRxNcK2.jpg

giving my n64 collection a bit of a kickstart. my copies of mario64 and yukeyuke trouble makers were getting lonely. :p

the ultimate goal will be a 64dd with fzx expansion kit. someday...

Jesus christ, this looks amazing, I don't have N64 buy I would buy this games just for the cover art, it;s so beautiful.

Because N64 emulation is currently a steaming pile of shit. Also, having original hardware and tech beats emulation, hands down - always. Unless it's the Wii, of course.
F-Zero X on Project 64 looks fantastic even on my old PC that has a crappy graphics card.

The only game that doesn't emulate well in my experience is Killer Instinct Gold although this video proves that some people can get it to work given the right equipment.

http://youtu.be/A7RIi0_5h00

This guy's even playing the technically superior KI2 on his PC and using a nice 6-button arcade stick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GFtjmoWJf0

I wonder what program he's using?

Killer Instinct 2 should be on MAME. Both that and the first game work well on it.

I don't care much for N64 emulation myself. I always go real hardware with everything.

Fox Mulder

yeah, i tried playing conker on my ouya and it runs like shit. I'd play the cartridge on my pvm but i don't have a rgb modded n64 yet.

Maybe it's from playing most of my games in progressive scan but now when I go back to the original N64 hardware on a CRT the interlacing really bothers me. In Goldeneye and Perfect Dark the interlacing almost makes me feel nauseas.

I'm surprised at all the negativity towards Project 64 because many elite Super Smash Bros. players use it so they can play on-line. In fact, this video makes on-line SSB look like mad fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMKbmXwTyy0

Seik

Banned
Interesting thing came out in the news today. (Thread worthy?)

Someone is creating an HDMI add-on to the N64, though it'll need to be soldered by the enthusiasts themselves and it'll be ready when it's ready.

Source.

n64mod3.jpg

My soldering skills are tingling. Can't wait for more news about this!

Rich!

Interesting thing came out in the news today. (Thread worthy?)

Someone is creating an HDMI add-on to the N64, though it'll need to be soldered by the enthusiasts themselves and it'll be ready when it's ready.

Source.

n64mod3.jpg

My soldering skills are tingling. Can't wait for more news about this!

reeeeaaally old news, actually posted on GAF before.

Surprised it's not out yet.

-KRS-

is there a reason why n64 emulation never advanced much?

I think there simply hasn't been enough interest until recently. N64 emulation was from the beginning High-level Emulation based, which means that the emulator translates the calls and signals into something that the computer running the emu can natively understand, instead of building something that actually emulates the hardware correctly. They made the most popular games run well using clever hacks, and then sort of gave up on the rest and that's the state the N64 emu scene has been in for a long time.

Apparently there is now a project to create a cycle-accurate N64 emulation though which is great. Hopefully that will mean that more ROM hacks will actually work on real hardware in the future. That's the worst thing about the current situation. People make romhacks that work on the emulators, not real hardware, because the emulators are so inaccurate. :(

Edit: Also, a cycle-accurate emulator wouldn't have been possible until fairly recently since it probably needs a modern computer with great performance to run at the correct speed.

Galdius

I was looking through the US N64 games list and noticed that there is one game that I have (I live in Brazil) that isn't in the list. The game is F1 Racing. Could someone confirm if this games was released in the US?

You can see this game on this photo of part of my collection:
f93Uv28l.jpg

I'm just curious to know if the only NTSC release of this game is brazilian.
If someone gets curious I can check if the game is in portuguese or english.

HaL64

ebay scored N64 Sin and Punishment in complete and in like new condition. Killer game, I'm have a blast with it literally.

IMAG0608_zps11e7d3f1.jpg

Not sure if I've ever been let down by Treasure.
Are there even game companies like them anymore? Where everything they make is guaranteed good? Rare used to be a company like that.

I was looking through the US N64 games list and noticed that there is one game that I have (I live in Brazil) that isn't in the list. The game is F1 Racing. Could someone confirm if this games was released in the US?

You can see this game on this photo of part of my collection:
f93Uv28l.jpg

I'm just curious to know if the only NTSC release of this game is brazilian.
If someone gets curious I can check if the game is in portuguese or english.
F1 Racing Championship was not released in the US. It's a Europe and South America-exclusive release.

Are there even game companies like them anymore? Where everything they make is guaranteed good? Rare used to be a company like that.
Treasure's games are definitely not all guaranteed good, even back then... Stretch Panic and Silpheed: The Lost Planet are two obvious examples of that. Maybe also Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Bad Dream.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Platinum Games.

Coreda

Yup. eBay used to be filled with mass blowouts. I remember lots of 20 sealed copies for $30. Wish I would have bought them.

Dang, good deal.

Been listening to the Perfect Dark soundtrack lately and man, I've listened to those songs while playing so many times but I never really appreciated them until now when I'm just listening to them. So many great ones. And they all seem to fit perfectly to the level or whatever.

Some favorites:

Even the fucking Pause music is perfect.

There's definitely a subtle Bond-sounding influence going on in some of the tracks. I was fond of the mission complete track. Slow the tempo and pitch and it sounds like some positively Russian Bond level.

I have the opportunity to buy the following bundle from a private seller. I'm posting it here because as you can see, the bulk of it is N64 with a little snes and genesis thrown in( all the carts are loose, except a copy of waverace 64 which is a sealed new copy:

N64:
System with 2 controllers
Bomberman 64
Wwe no mercy
Wwe wrestlemania
Wcw revenge
Waverace 64
Waverace 64( sealed new)
Paper mario
Mario golf
Starfox
Mario 64
Mario kart 64
Star wars racer

Snes:
Mario World yoshis island
Aladdin
Magical quest mickey mouse
Super Mario rpg

Genesis:
Lion king
Jungle book
Vectorman

All for $150, worth it? I've been trying to negotiate a little lower but the guy ain't budgeting from that price.

Rich!

I have the opportunity to buy the following bundle from a private seller. I'm posting it here because as you can see, the bulk of it is N64 with a little snes and genesis thrown in( all the carts are loose, except a copy of waverace 64 which is a sealed new copy:

N64:
System with 2 controllers
Bomberman 64
Wwe no mercy
Wwe wrestlemania
Wcw revenge
Waverace 64
Waverace 64( sealed new)
Paper mario
Mario golf
Starfox
Mario 64
Mario kart 64
Star wars racer

Snes:
Mario World yoshis island
Aladdin
Magical quest mickey mouse
Super Mario rpg

Genesis:
Lion king
Jungle book
Vectorman

All for $150, worth it? I've been trying to negotiate a little lower but the guy ain't budgeting from that price.

uh

for that price, you'd get at the very most three of those items normally (Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island and the N64)

of course it's a good deal - and I wouldn't go lower if I was him either

uh

for that price, you'd get at the very most three of those items normally (Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island and the N64)

of course it's a good deal - and I wouldn't go lower if I was him either

Even as loose carts? He also wants to throw in a model 2 genesis for an extra $50, which I think is too high. But it sounds like you're saying I'm getting more than fair value for everything else.

Anth0ny

That's pretty much how BK looks on XBLA. Fantastic stuff. N64 games looks great at 1080p.

I hope Nintendo gives the same treatment to Mario 64, OOT, MM and some of the other N64 classics.

IrishNinja

Even as loose carts? He also wants to throw in a model 2 genesis for an extra $50, which I think is too high. But it sounds like you're saying I'm getting more than fair value for everything else.

assuming most of those games were on your want list - or you don't mind reselling - it's not a bad deal from here; N64 stuff (especially those fun wrestling titles) is largely on the cheap these days but a few of those aren't bad. any chance the system has the RAM pack in it already (assuming you'd want that)? that would help. it looks like a good deal to me but it's your call.

i do agree that $50 for a model 2 genny is too high though. it's weird when you find stuff like that...like, i bought the first year or so of both nintendo power & gamepro off this one dude last year, right? little beat, but all the pages & posters, i was so happy...and he tossed in the extra guides/supplements, for like $50 total! then i saw hi had an OG gameboy and i was like yeah, i'll take that & tetris too! but he wanted nearly $100 for those...i mean thanks for the rest but fuckouttahere

Rich!

Now that Cathode Ray Televisions (CRT) are obsolete, all the cool kids have turned to emulation for their N64 gaming fix.

No. The cool kids have turned to the XRGB with RGB modded consoles. Who says you need a CRT?

Speaking as someone who was previously heavily invested in the emulation and romhacking scene, N64 emulation is a steaming pile of shit. It's buggy, full of hacks, inaccurate, a fucking pain to set up, compatibility is low, glitches galore, and PJ64 is a poorly optimized piece of crap.

I was there when the first edition of UltraHLE was released all those years ago (1999? I don't remember). It was glorious. N64 emulation then progressed from there, working wonders to get the top N64 games running on low spec machines via hacks and workarounds. I played through Ocarina of Time on a hilariously low spec Dell Latitude with 256mb of RAM and a 4gb HDD. The problem is, we never bloody moved on from that. N64 emulation is STILL using the same goddamn hacks and workarounds it was using almost two decades ago. Half the console's library is broken. Look at the Jigsaw puzzles in Banjo Tooie/Kazooie. STILL broken. Indiana Jones and Rogue Squadron? Good luck playing those. What about the broken skyboxes and inaccurate speeds in GoldenEye? Still fucked. Hell, we're still using fucking RICE for christ's sake.

There's absolutely no way anyone serious about the N64 can state emulation being superior as playing on an actual console, especially if it's RGB modded and ran through a CRT or XRGB. Other consoles, sure - BSNES matches the SNES, and Dolphin offers great compatibility and features. But the N64? heeelllllll no.

/rant

Rich!

The cycle accurate emulator should help will that. Looking promising even in it's initial state.

Of course, but it's still early stages. Right now the fact of the matter is that, apart from a select few games, N64 emulation is far inferior to the real hardware.

Of course, but it's still early stages. Right now the fact of the matter is that, apart from a select few games, N64 emulation is far inferior to the real hardware.
Possibly but the real N64 hardware looks horrid on most HDTV's and here in the U.S. the RGB mod isn't even practical given the expense and hassle.

People may want to play a game via Project 64 first to see if they want to bother sourcing up the actual cartridge. If you do decide to buy the game don't allow yourself to be gouged by the unscrupulous Ebay or Amazon sellers who grossly overcharge. Remember, you're just buying an old game not investing in diamonds. ; )

assuming most of those games were on your want list - or you don't mind reselling - it's not a bad deal from here; N64 stuff (especially those fun wrestling titles) is largely on the cheap these days but a few of those aren't bad. any chance the system has the RAM pack in it already (assuming you'd want that)? that would help. it looks like a good deal to me but it's your call.

i do agree that $50 for a model 2 genny is too high though. it's weird when you find stuff like that...[/i]

All of those games are pretty much games I want. Not sure about the RAM pack, will ask him. I see what the other poster was saying about the cost of those carts as I just looked up a few of them on ebay and amazon. Its weird that the seller is pretty much undervaluing(grossly in some cases) the games, but yet thinks the genesis is worth $50.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Curses I went over my 64 game limit and got Mario Golf. I just can't resist Camelot stuff. On second thought I can now ditch this one golf game my brother got for some reason. Also I now wish Camelot had made an RPG for the system.

xandaca

I just got my N64 back and have been playing through GoldenEye. Screw all the 'hasn't aged well' people, I'm having a wonderful time and while I'm sure it'd frustrate the hell out of me were it the first time I'd played it (some of those objectives are stunningly obscure), the stealth system is beautifully weighted, the guns are fabulously satisfying and the gameplay varies in some small but significant way with each level. It's a stunning achievement regardless of its age, and I still think there's a certain charm to its chunky graphics (and those of a number of other games from the generation, although many do just look awful) which is more interesting to me personally than the bland 'realistic' art style of modern gaming. Rose-coloured spectacles I'm sure, but it was the era when I enjoyed gaming the most, when the big games seemed to be constantly innovating within their genre and experimenting with what 3D worlds could do, and that freedom and joy still shines through for me.

(I'd started playing the distinctly unexceptional Assassin's Creed IV a few days ago, that's pretty much been abandoned now until GE and maybe Perfect Dark have been completed)

EDIT: Also, here's where I know for sure people are going to accuse me of rose-tinting the past - I'm enjoying single stick shooting in GoldenEye far more than I generally do twin stick in modern FPS'. It wouldn't work without an all-conquering auto-aim, of course (Perfect Dark toned this down and suffered by highlighting the lack of precision), but the simplicity of it - turn in the right direction, let the auto-aim do the rest and make tiny adjustments where necessary with the c-buttons - is quite refreshing.

I'll be raising my flame shields now...

Peagles

To me the single stick aiming is fine, it's just like the reverse of wasd and mouse, c buttons are my wasd and the stick is my mouse.

Top Bottom