• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

kunonabi

My copy of Getter Love came in the mail today.

All I need I know are the Mystical Ninja games and I'm done with my collection.

My copy of Getter Love came in the mail today.

All I need I know are the Mystical Ninja games and I'm done with my collection.

I want that, but it's surprisingly pricey... particularly for something which is essentially a dating sim minigame collection boardgame thing.

Is there an emulator out there that tries reproduce a somewhat authentic experience (slow down and big jaggies) in the same way something like Chocolate Doom does for Doom?

Currently use sixtyforce on my laptop but it's pretty buggy and wondering if there's a better option.

Rich!

Is there an emulator out there that tries reproduce a somewhat authentic experience (slow down and big jaggies) in the same way something like Chocolate Doom does for Doom?

Currently use sixtyforce on my laptop but it's pretty buggy and wondering if there's a better option.

N64 emulation on the whole is currently shit. It's buggy, full of hacks and wildly inaccurate.

Asparagus

This arrived today.

BtW8NMU.jpg

I always see people praising this version, should be interesting.

N64 emulation is garbage sadly, don't bother.

uh, Wii Virtual Console?

Starfox 64 originally had an improved frame on VC. People complained so Nintendo removed that version and replaced it with one that ran more like the N64 original.

This arrived today.

BtW8NMU.jpg

I always see people praising this version, should be interesting.

Dont want to imagine the damage that CRT would cause if it falls on top of your consoles, also, lol at the Wii all the way in the bottom.

Asparagus

So good, I just managed to get that cart myself. Can't wait to dive into it this weekend.

My first impression: It's really fucking dark. I had to turn the brightness right up.

Dont want to imagine the damage that CRT would cause if it falls on top of your consoles, also, lol at the Wii all the way in the bottom.

Heh, I just don't have enough space! I'll be getting a replacement TV stand soon enough :)

anyone with an xrgb, what types of video outputs are available on it? is it worth getting if you dont plan on rgb modding your older systems?

for example, i'd probably just use composite for my n64 and nes... my other systems that support rgb without a mod (snes, genesis, etc....) i would do rgb on as it would just require me buying a cable

Rich!

anyone with an xrgb, what types of video outputs are available on it? is it worth getting if you dont plan on rgb modding your older systems?

for example, i'd probably just use composite for my n64 and nes... my other systems that support rgb without a mod (snes, genesis, etc....) i would do rgb on as it would just require me buying a cable

the clue is in the name

xRGB

absolutely not worth buying it unless you're using RGB SCART input. Composite still looks shit, even through the XRGB. If the majority of your stuff is RGB output then sure, get one.

Starfox 64 originally had an improved frame on VC. People complained so Nintendo removed that version and replaced it with one that ran more like the N64 original.
That sounds kind of dumb. I mean, I suppose if the slowdown was absolutely necessary for getting through the game or something, but otherwise why wouldn't you want the smoother-running version?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Seems like a waste to get an XRGB and then not try and get RGB out on most of your systems.

What systems are you working with?

That sounds kind of dumb. I mean, I suppose if the slowdown was absolutely necessary for getting through the game or something, but otherwise why wouldn't you want the smoother-running version?

It's a double edged sword. In the end authenticity won out but there should also be an option for people who want a smoother experience. I don't know why they didn't leave both up there.

Rich!

It's a double edged sword. In the end authenticity won out but there should also be an option for people who want a smoother experience. I don't know why they didn't leave both up there.

AFAIK, no-one complained about it originally. It got pointed out, and Nintendo (in their quest to give you as close to the exact same experience you had years ago) changed it.

baphomet

I don't know, personally the slowdown makes it just feel right. I'm sure its just 100% nostalgia, but I can't imagine it feeling[/] like starfox 64 without the slowdown. The option should definitely be there though.

Fox Mulder

people like what they like. Some like scanlines and blurry filters, and I've seen someone make starfox carts running faster on the super fx2 chip.

they could just offer a setting to toggle that.

I cant lie, Star Fox 64 3D feels like a different game at times since it's so smooth.

I hated the controls, the original is far easier to play. The slider on the 3DS is so goddamn sensitive, it makes it so difficult to aim.

There's also the new voices... (apart from Fox & Slippy).

ZealousD

nes, genesis (2), snes, ps2, xbox, n64, dreamcast

You should probably go with Component for the PS2 and Xbox. Best output on Dreamcast is VGA which the XRGB mini doesn't really support, but you could still do RGB unmodded I believe.

So the NES and the N64 are the only ones you would need to get RGB modded. The NES RGB mod is fairly expensive, as the chip itself is $90 AU, and the labor is fairly complicated. If you don't get your NES modded, then composite is the best you could hope for, which looks like shit. The N64 doesn't really support RGB, and only certain models can be modded to do so. At the very least it supports S-Video natively, which is still good and a big improvement over composite.

I hated the controls, the original is far easier to play. The slider on the 3DS is so goddamn sensitive, it makes it so difficult to aim.

There's also the new voices... (apart from Fox & Slippy).
The new voices were the worst. I remember picking it up and from that first mission hearing "good luck" in a different voice was disappointing.

Yeah figured as much. Just ordered an Everdrive to see if NTSC versions of my games make them more playable since PAL was apparently slower.
Is it worth getting an S-Video cable or is the difference negligible compared to composite?

Back-up plan is to set up my old CRT in the office but my partner won't be impressed.

Rich!

Yeah figured as much. Just ordered an Everdrive to see if NTSC versions of my games make them more playable since PAL was apparently slower.
Is it worth getting an S-Video cable or is the difference negligible compared to composite?

Back-up plan is to set up my old CRT in the office but my partner won't be impressed.

yeah, s video is the way to go unless you want to get an RGB modded console.

ZealousD

Certainly not negligible. RGB > S-Video >>> Composite. S-Video is still going to clean up most of the picture instability and nasty edges of composite, as well as give you a sharper and brighter picture.

Rich!

I actually posted a comparison between S Video and RGB from my old CRT. I'll repost it here, as it's relevant:

Not the best of photos, as I'm using a crappy phone camera, but you can see the difference in clarity:

SVIDEO

RGB

SVIDEO (look at the stairs)

RGB

SVIDEO

RGB

It's hard to tell through these photos, but the colour on the RGB console is far, far more vibrant. And in motion, there's no comparison.

I actually posted a comparison between S Video and RGB from my old CRT. I'll repost it here, as it's relevant:

Not the best of photos, as I'm using a crappy phone camera, but you can see the difference in clarity:

SVIDEO

RGB

SVIDEO (look at the stairs)

RGB

SVIDEO

RGB

It's hard to tell through these photos, but the colour on the RGB console is far, far more vibrant. And in motion, there's no comparison.
Did you happen to do the same tests on a HDTV?

Asparagus

PAL N64's have issues with Svideo I think. http://lifein16bit.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/getting-most-out-of-your-pal-n64.html goes into it somewhat (and has composite and svideo comparison screenshots).

I'd deffo go svideo as a minimum if you can, as well as NTSC.

oatmeal

Banned
I ordered Jet Force Gemini on eBay for $6.00 shipped after seeing a guy nearby on CL with it for $8.

I'm curious to se how it it is after all of these years.

xclaw

I ordered Jet Force Gemini on eBay for $6.00 shipped after seeing a guy nearby on CL with it for $8.

I'm curious to se how it it is after all of these years.

The controls are not at all how I remembered it, I hope you fair better than I.

oatmeal

Banned
The controls are not at all how I remembered it, I hope you fair better than I.

I read the IGN review after ordering it...it sounds horrible lol. The controls, and the Tribals and shit.

But it will be fun for 5 minutes and that's worth it for me.

NRezXBX

Neo Member
I just ordered an RGB modded N64, an official "SNES" RGB cable (SHVC-010) and a XRGB-mini Framemeister. Will this be everything I will need?

Lynd7

I got a PAL S-video cable from console goods in the UK, I thought it's at least a step up from composite on my 720p display.

It looks ok, not a great deal sharper or anything. It's strange though, Conker doesn't sit properly in the 4:3 frame, the image is being displayed to the right and down a bit. Any ideas why that would be?

NRezXBX

Neo Member
That will be everything. Any chance you bought it from me on ebay today?

Yep, that was me! Posted here right afterwards. I wanted to be sure to buy from you after reading through this thread, then I saw some were available. Got everything else while I was at it so I could enjoy it soon. Thanks for helping me be sure I got everything.

baphomet

Yep, that was me! Posted here right afterwards. I wanted to be sure to buy from you after reading through this thread, then I saw some were available. Got everything else while I was at it so I could enjoy it soon. Thanks for helping me be sure I got everything.

Very cool! You'll definitely enjoy it with that XRGB. If you ever need any other stuff done you can always just pm me on here. I generally cut GAF members deals. It'll go out on wed with a bunch of other stuff I've got to ship, but I'll post the tracking on there for you. Thanks a bunch!

Still love the N64 even if i love PS more. Saturn is also awesome but mostly for Arcade ports (for my taste).

This is my collection, sorry about the quality:

n64.jpg

Things that i am VERY happy to have:

- Battle Adventure Racing! (so fucking good! not in the picture at that moment)
- Bangai-O
- Bomberman 64 (the Japanese one, the last N64 game on the region)
- CBFD
- Doubutsu no Mori
- F-Zero X
- GoldenEye 007
- Ocarina (golden cart)
- Pokémon Puzzle League
- Ridge Racer 64
- Sin & Punishment
- Starfox 64
- Wave Race Shindou Edition
- Wonder Project J2

Things that i really want:

- Mischief Makers
- Getter Love!!
- Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (damn!)
- Goemon's Great Adventure
- Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
- Ogre Battle 64
- Paper Mario
- Resident Evil 2
- Rocket: Robot on Wheels

Top Bottom