• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

I was so lucky to get Conker for like 8 bucks a couple of years ago...I had no idea of it's value, I just always wanted to play it

Wow I didn't realise it was over $150 now for just the cart! I remember buying my PAL copy for $50 years ago thinking that was pretty steep for a loose copy.

Anth0ny

Wow I didn't realise it was over $150 now for just the cart! I remember buying my PAL copy for $50 years ago thinking that was pretty steep for a loose copy.

wtfffffffffff

I got it for $57 a couple of years ago and felt like it was a huge ripoff at the time lol

crazy how the price has continued to go higher

illadelph

It was at a local store that priced ALL of their 64 games at 8 dollars...so Conker was priced the same as shit like NFL Quarterback Club and Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey

....needless to say that place went out of business haha

2SeeKU

Hey guys,
Thought l'd throw up a photo of my collection (113 games in total). I haven't really been after boxed games, as these usually get played when friends come round etc. By far my favourite system!

2ysOt0M.jpg

Timu

Hey guys,
Thought l'd throw up a photo of my collection (113 games in total). I haven't really been after boxed games, as these usually get played when friends come round etc. By far my favourite system!

2ysOt0M.jpg
Very nice collection there.

wtfffffffffff

I got it for $57 a couple of years ago and felt like it was a huge ripoff at the time lol

Back in January I sold mine CIB for 99.99 shipped. I see one CIB on eBay for 119.99 shipped. Where are you guys seeing $150 carts?

SKINNER!

Banned
Hey guys,

2ysOt0M.jpg

Awesome stuff my man. Good to see International Track & Field there haha. Such a twisted hand-breaking game :p

bomma_man

I was so lucky to get Conker for like 8 bucks a couple of years ago...I had no idea of it's value, I just always wanted to play it

wtfffffffffff

I got a shrink wrapped boxed PAL copy from k mart for twenty bucks... Then sold it for fuck all to fund a GameCube

Peagles

I got a shrink wrapped boxed PAL copy from k mart for twenty bucks... Then sold it for fuck all to fund a GameCube

Fuck! It was like $180 at Kmart here in NZ, hence why I hired it out at the time.

Still need to buy it CIB, but looking for an NTSC copy. Anyone?

Lynd7

I picked up an old display Conkers cart from K-Mart here in Aust for $5. Lucky I did, even carts only are expensive.

Also, is using Brasso to clean the contacts ok? Some people say yes, others say no.

-KRS-

Also, is using Brasso to clean the contacts ok? Some people say yes, others say no.

I would only use it if it's really needed. Otherwise I stick to a vinyl eraser + isopropyl alcohol. That's usually enough to get the dirt off. And be careful to not push too hard if you use brasso since it's is an abrasive and can wear down the contacts.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yeah Brasso is a last resort.

Yeah. Always try hitting it with the alcohol first. Try the Brasso last, and only if it's clear that the contacts are very dirty.

If you have to use Brasso, use a very small amount on the Q-Tip and don't press down too hard. The stuff is like magic, so you don't need to work very hard. Once you've hit it with the Brasso, use the alcohol again to wipe up the residue.

Lynd7

Thanks guys.

I did two carts lightly with it this afternoon, then got worried I shouldn't have. I just gave them another light q-tip clean with some cleaning alcohol. They should be fine.

I know I've got a copy of Tonic Trouble that seem to be cleaner than a freshly-mopped floor, but the N64 still won't read. Alcohol and Q-Tip simply doesn't pick anything up, but the console doesn't care. Rather annoying, that. Not sure what my recourse there is.

Same for The Little Mermaid on the Genesis, but I just kinda picked that up because it was ~$1 at a thrift store, so not hugely broken up about it.

Mzo

Brasso can easily strip away the thin, protective gold layer that helps keep the contacts from oxidizing.

Too often people use Brasso on contacts, get excited by the black residue they wipe away, and continue to vigorously scrub until it comes away clean. That's the real danger of Brasso.

The eraser trick should work for most cases. If it looks super dirty and grime encrusted I'd resort to a small dab of Brasso. Remember to let it sit a minute and wipe off gently.

SKINNER!

Banned
Thoughts on Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 for the N64? I recall having fun playing the Playstation version back in the day and gonna be picking up a boxed PAL version of the game for dirt cheap this weekend. Plus, 3 was never released in Europe right?

-KRS-

Thoughts on Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 for the N64? I recall having fun playing the Playstation version back in the day and gonna be picking up a boxed PAL version of the game for dirt cheap this weekend. Plus, 3 was never released in Europe right?

The gameplay is good. Playing with the d-pad and c-buttons makes it feel exactly like the Playstation version. The obvious flaw is the soundtrack which is both of lower quality and has fewer songs. And the songs that are there have been cut up a bit to make them smaller. Graphics are at least on par with the PS version, which is a bit disappointing with the N64 being more powerful and all that. At least the framerate is pretty consistently at 50/60 from what I remember. Overall it's still fun to play and that's what matters.

Not sure if 3 never got a PAL release, but that one can be described pretty much the same as I described 2 above.

SKINNER!

Banned
The gameplay is good. Playing with the d-pad and c-buttons makes it feel exactly like the Playstation version. The obvious flaw is the soundtrack which is both of lower quality and has fewer songs. And the songs that are there have been cut up a bit to make them smaller. Graphics are at least on par with the PS version, which is a bit disappointing with the N64 being more powerful and all that. At least the framerate is pretty consistently at 50/60 from what I remember. Overall it's still fun to play and that's what matters.

Not sure if 3 never got a PAL release, but that one can be described pretty much the same as I described 2 above.

Sweet cheers :) Expected the music to take a beating considering it's an N64 so that's fine with me. So long as it has the "Create a Park" feature and nothing else was butchered from it then I'll be happy. Slowly rebuilding my N64 collection from my childhood now :) Will post pics of it once I go to my parents place this weekend.

If you have a Dreamcast or Xbox, get it on those instead

SKINNER!

Banned
If you have a Dreamcast or Xbox, get it on those instead

No Xbox original sadly but I do have a Dreamcast (Other console I like to build up my game collection with). Maybe pick up THPS3 for it someday. Cheers. Only played that game on the GBA so it'll certainly be interesting to play it on a console.

No Xbox original sadly but I do have a Dreamcast (Other console I like to build up my game collection with). Maybe pick up THPS3 for it someday. Cheers. Only played that game on the GBA so it'll certainly be interesting to play it on a console.

Oh whoops, 3 never came out on DC. I was referring to 2. 2 is quite good on DC.

SKINNER!

Banned
Picked up THPS2 today and apart from the other side of the box being taped up it's in alright nick. Plays just like the Playstation version too so I'll definitely be suggesting it at the next gaming session with the guys.

Oh and here's a pic of my collection. Some games originally purchased/ given as a gift from back in the day (*cough* Hey You Pikachu *cough*) and others purchased recently.

Soup Bar

Wow at that UK 64DD dev kit. That makes me think the 64DD was supposed to come out in the west but never did because of poor sales.

Lynd7

So is there any alternative to the UGC game cases for N64? The manuals don't really fit, and they would get bent etc.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So is there any alternative to the UGC game cases for N64? The manuals don't really fit, and they would get bent etc.

If you think you can wait, StoneAgeGamer.com will have BitBoxes for N64 probably within a year. They're finishing up their prototypes for SNES and GameBoy atm, and I think N64 is suppose to be next.

Lynd7

Ah ok cool. I might wait for those.

Although the covers on the cover project will probably be different sizes.

Vysetron

Neo Member
I know I've got a copy of Tonic Trouble that seem to be cleaner than a freshly-mopped floor, but the N64 still won't read. Alcohol and Q-Tip simply doesn't pick anything up, but the console doesn't care. Rather annoying, that. Not sure what my recourse there is.

I think Tonic Trouble is cursed or something. The copy I bought a while back is super unreliable. Even though it's perfectly clean and the connectors don't appear damaged, it just takes a bunch of power cycling before it eventually works. Once it's on it stays on
whether you want it to or not, game is awful

-KRS-

Can people even do anything with a dev kit in 2014?

I know that the official N64 SDK was leaked years ago and I think that supports the 64DD, but I'm not sure if the leaked version would work with non-Japanese 64DD units.

And I guess you'd also need a PC with the proper ports (serial/parallel?) to hook it up which might be hard to find today.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Wow at that UK 64DD dev kit. That makes me think the 64DD was supposed to come out in the west but never did because of poor sales.

This is correct, yeah. A few months back, Dave Lang from Iron Galaxy was talking pretty technical shop on a Giant Bomb stream about developing for old consoles and he mentioned that he still had a development kit for the 64DD off hand. I also want to say that there's information floating around about a handful of cancelled 64DD games that were in development at Western studios, but my memory is a bit sketchy on that stuff, so take it with a grain of salt.

I saw that listing pop up soon after the auction started and I wish I was in a better position financially to pick up since I have a thing for development hardware and wanted to look through the documentation since it doesn't look like the scans for that stuff are available online. Alas.

televator

We talked about Road Rash 64 here and not too long after CGR has a review of it: youtube.com/watch?v=XmbVWbw-IRg

So which GAFfer sent mark the game? :p

bronk

Banned
We talked about Road Rash 64 here and not too long after CGR has a review of it: youtube.com/watch?v=XmbVWbw-IRg

So which GAFfer sent mark the game? :p
I love Road Rash 64. I still play with friends from time to time. The sound effects of people crashing crack me up every time.

theres a local flea market right around the corner from my house, and i pop in from time to time to see what game stuff is available

today got:
banjo kazooie
empire strikes back
excite bike 64
dr mario (nes)
atari console in a controller

all for 40 bucks. pretty good pick up i thought.. there are more commercialized flea markets around where everything is a rip off, this one the stands are more like garage sales

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone was complaining how I didn't autograph the better WCW game so I decided to fix that.

rLV9E1A.jpg

6fw5xD1.png

Coincidentally I still had action figures of them as well.

Teknoman

theres a local flea market right around the corner from my house, and i pop in from time to time to see what game stuff is available

today got:
banjo kazooie
empire strikes back
excite bike 64
dr mario (nes)
atari console in a controller

all for 40 bucks. pretty good pick up i thought.. there are more commercialized flea markets around where everything is a rip off, this one the stands are more like garage sales

Stands are the best kind. Only got 2 things today, but both are things i've been looking for. The Indy game that was posted a few pages ago (recent interest) and finally got Magic of Scherazade (NES game but i've been trying to find a good price X great quality copy forever).

Top Bottom