• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

stack9902

Banned
Cool thread. I didn't grow up in the age of the N64 so I'm discovering a lot of these games now. Some of them are just absolutely fantastic, even by today's standards. Can't wait for N64 Virtual Console on Wii U. :)

I would love N64 on the 3DS VC.. come on Nintendo make it so!!!!

KI64 (yes poor) but the ability to play that on the road and not on my phone but with a full dpad and buttons..., PRICELESS!!! ;)

Rich!

So there's now a much better tool for ripping GB games using the transfer pak if you have an Everdrive 64.

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1548.0

Using the app (ROM) there, you can use a transfer pak to backup your Game Boy/Color games and saves - which is great if you're worried about the life of your Pokemon saves, or if you want to transfer your whole collection to the Everdrive GB with saves intact.

Also, its a step further towards hacking the emulator in Pokemon Stadium 1/2 to be able to play any GB game! You can already trick it to play other GB games by renaming the header in the ROM to the same as Pokemon Red's header.

Rikkun

Been enjoying Turok Rage Wars and Perfect Dark this past week via Project64. #Memories

Rage Wars is the crack. Put it on PSN with refined graphics please, back in the days I enjoyed 2 players split-screen co-op, even when I forgot at home my Expansion Pak, but nowadays I just can't.

Teknoman

Still love the N64 even if i love PS more. Saturn is also awesome but mostly for Arcade ports (for my taste).

This is my collection, sorry about the quality:

n64.jpg

Things that i am VERY happy to have:

- Battle Adventure Racing! (so fucking good! not in the picture at that moment)
- Bangai-O
- Bomberman 64 (the Japanese one, the last N64 game on the region)
- CBFD
- Doubutsu no Mori
- F-Zero X
- GoldenEye 007
- Ocarina (golden cart)
- Pokémon Puzzle League
- Ridge Racer 64
- Sin & Punishment
- Starfox 64
- Wave Race Shindou Edition
- Wonder Project J2

Things that i really want:

- Mischief Makers
- Getter Love!!
- Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (damn!)
- Goemon's Great Adventure
- Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
- Ogre Battle 64
- Paper Mario
- Resident Evil 2
- Rocket: Robot on Wheels

I had no idea there was an Indy game on N64, much less that it looks pretty good. Mischief Makers is usually pretty cheap, the rest are pricey for the most part (dunno about Rocket).

Rich!

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine is amazing. Because it was made by the magic wizards at Factor 5 (Rogue Leader), it was higher spec'd at launch than the goddamn PC version! It still looks great today, and apart from a few issues, it's a very good Zelda clone.

However, because of issues with licensing and changes with publishers, the title only saw a release in Blockbuster stores in the USA as a rental (and limited release in other stores as retail), and was cancelled in all other regions.

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine is amazing. Because it was made by the magic wizards at Factor 5 (Rogue Leader), it was higher spec'd at launch than the goddamn PC version! It still looks great today, and apart from a few issues, it's a very good Zelda clone.

It's not a Zelda clone, it's a Tomb Raider clone! But it is a good game, yes. It's too bad that Lucasarts decided to only release it as a rental, and not at retail... it means that many fewer copies of the game are out there than should be. I think it'd have sold fine, even for a late 2000 release! It's a good game, Factor 5 did a great job with the port (it's originally a PC game by Lucasarts, essentially their take on Tomb Raider), and Tomb Raider-style 3d action/adventure/platformer games were still popular at the time. Yeah, by late 2000 the N64 was fading, but release it at retail at the time they released it as a rental only (December '00) and it could have done okay.

As for it being better than the PC version, though, the graphics aren't better; PCs are just more powerful than the N64. I think they did improve the controls, though (an issue with the original version...), and the graphics look amazing for the N64, probably better than they would on lower-end (for the time) PCs, sure.

televator

Traded in some excess games today and picked up RE2 amongst other games for other systems.

I'm still kicking myself though because I forgot to grab the CIB Star Wars Racer behind the glass shelf. Argh!

Just fired up Conker's Bap Fur Day and man that death scene is some of the best videogame dialogue I've ever heard. The jokes are great. The voice is funny. It has it all. Those guys at rare were really something back then.

Teknoman

However, because of issues with licensing and changes with publishers, the title only saw a release in Blockbuster stores in the USA as a rental (and limited release in other stores as retail), and was cancelled in all other regions.

It's not a Zelda clone, it's a Tomb Raider clone! But it is a good game, yes. It's too bad that Lucasarts decided to only release it as a rental, and not at retail... it means that many fewer copies of the game are out there than should be. I think it'd have sold fine, even for a late 2000 release! It's a good game, Factor 5 did a great job with the port (it's originally a PC game by Lucasarts, essentially their take on Tomb Raider), and Tomb Raider-style 3d action/adventure/platformer games were still popular at the time. Yeah, by late 2000 the N64 was fading, but release it at retail at the time they released it as a rental only (December '00) and it could have done okay.

As for it being better than the PC version, though, the graphics aren't better; PCs are just more powerful than the N64. I think they did improve the controls, though (an issue with the original version...), and the graphics look amazing for the N64, probably better than they would on lower-end (for the time) PCs, sure.

No wonder I never knew...so I guess I should grab it asap.

Gruso

Oh, first encounter with this thread :)

I bought an RGB modded N64 a long time ago. And I've never been able to test it! I'm in Australia, where SCART was never very common. I picked up a SCART to plasma/VGA converter from here, but I couldn't get it working on my plasma at the time, nor on any multisync CRTs. I mothballed the whole project. But just now, I've pulled the old converter out of storage and have it sitting here next to me. Motivation rising again.

Are these converters known to people? Any advice?

televator

I bought an RGB modded N64 a long time ago. And I've never been able to test it! I'm in Australia, where SCART was never very common. I picked up a SCART to plasma/VGA converter from here, but I couldn't get it working on my plasma at the time, nor on any multisync CRTs. I mothballed the whole project. But just now, I've pulled the old converter out of storage and have it sitting here next to me. Motivation rising again.

Most people go the SCART to Component/YUV route. Has a rather high rate of success. You could try getting a YUV converter.

Peagles

I got a SCART-YUV converter here in New Zealand and it works a treat with CRTs.

Also it'd be worth looking for a TV with RGB SCART, there are heaps on trademe here in NZ although it's not super common, there's always a few LCDs and the odd CRT. We always get the same model of stuff as you lot so there is hope.

baphomet

Here's what I managed to pick up over the past week or so. All in all it's 11 RGB moddable systems, and most of the colored systems. I'm going to swap the innards on the colored ones with RGB systems. I think they come out to about $130 for everything.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
^ Oooooh beauties.

I'll be in the market for an RGB N64 eventually....

-KRS-

So there's now a much better tool for ripping GB games using the transfer pak if you have an Everdrive 64.

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1548.0

Using the app (ROM) there, you can use a transfer pak to backup your Game Boy/Color games and saves - which is great if you're worried about the life of your Pokemon saves, or if you want to transfer your whole collection to the Everdrive GB with saves intact.

Also, its a step further towards hacking the emulator in Pokemon Stadium 1/2 to be able to play any GB game! You can already trick it to play other GB games by renaming the header in the ROM to the same as Pokemon Red's header.

Oh great. Do you know if it works on a 64drive/any flashcart or is it Everdrive only?

-KRS-

Alright cool. I'll have to try it later I guess.

I see now that the author calls it a library. I guess that means it could theoretically be built into the ED and 64drive menus if krikzz/marshall wanted to.

-Stranger-

Planning on starting up my N64 collection again, I'm an avid collector and this will be my next platform to focus one.
So many childhood memories, OOT is the best game ever made.

btw - How hard would it be to get my hands on a 64DD? I saw one on ebay but it was selling for over $1000.

Anyone ever used one before?

Ok so I managed to get my 64 games out for a quick photo. There's a few games missing from the photo, the games missing are:

Super Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Robotron 64
Yoshi's Story
Banjo Tooie

They're either missing because I've lent them to friends or because I took the photo before getting some new grabs :)

ehHtmuQ.jpg

Celine

Ok so I managed to get my 64 games out for a quick photo. There's a few games missing from the photo, the games missing are:

Super Mario 64
Robotron 64
Yoshi's Story
Banjo Tooie

They're either missing because I've lent them to friends or because I took the photo before getting some new grabs :)
Some good stuff in there, special shoutout for Wave Race 64 and Blast Corps.

Gruso

RR64 has the most intense and funny combat of the series. I still play the original trilogy, but RR64 may be my favourite.

Super Mario 64
Robotron 64
Yoshi's Story
Banjo Tooie

ehHtmuQ.jpg

You should check out how much your PAL copy of Starcraft 64 goes for on ebay :)

All my copies are boxed! So whoever bought the other 2 copies years ago will be feeling happy (assuming they still have them lol).

I'm glad I made the effort to have my N64 collection complete, even years ago when I was amassing it, things would have been easier/more cost effective to 'just be happy' with cart versions but I made myself live by the boxed mantra and now the N64 collection is one of my pride and joys! Very special console to me so it deserved it.

Rich!

awww yess

Ordered a couple of these awesome fuckers to go along with my current ones - the difference being that these are boxed and brand new. And they were cheap!

By far the best N64 controller ever made, apart from the Hori Mini.

Rich!

^Competition was the western branding for Honey Bee accessories, right?

I think so. Either way, it's basically as if Nintendo made the N64 pad slightly bigger and with an analog stick that didn't wear out. Only negative point is the D-Pad - but it's the N64!!

I go on about these controllers a lot, but I stand by my opinion that every N64 owner should have some.

Top Bottom