• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

SKINNER!

Banned
Wow, didn't know that Fighting Force 64 got a PAL release. Always thought it was only available in the US. Was the game any good?

Lynd7

My friend and I used to have fun with Fighting Force on the PS1 back in the day. I bought it cheap on PSN awhile back, that game is rough..

I imagine the N64 one wouldn't be much better.

Everyone was complaining how I didn't autograph the better WCW game so I decided to fix that.

rLV9E1A.jpg

6fw5xD1.png

Coincidentally I still had action figures of them as well.

Big Sexy Kevin Diesel Nash! Awesome! Those games bring back so many great memories! :)

It's funny how it started out as a Saturn sequel to Streets of Rage, wound up becoming its own thing, and then wound up not even coming out on the Saturn. Talk about total project scope shifting.

It's funny how it started out as a Saturn sequel to Streets of Rage, wound up becoming its own thing, and then wound up not even coming out on the Saturn. Talk about total project scope shifting.

The Saturn was lucky, it wasn't subjected to Fighting Force... beyond that Saturn beta version that leaked a while back, of course.

illadelph

I remember renting Fighting Force and having tons of fun with it (EVERYTHING could be used as a weapon)

but even then I knew the game was far from a masterpiece

alf717

Local pawn shop had a copy of Majora's Mask "Not for resale" grey cart version. They ended up selling it to someone who returned it because it wasn't the full game. When they did research on it they found out it was worth tons of cash so needless to say the original buyer lost out on a rare item and a good hunk of change. I wish I would of stumbled on this gem. I missed out on Demon's Crest to.

Teknoman

Local pawn shop had a copy of Majora's Mask "Not for resale" grey cart version. They ended up selling it to someone who returned it because it wasn't the full game. When they did research on it they found out it was worth tons of cash so needless to say the original buyer lost out on a rare item and a good hunk of change. I wish I would of stumbled on this gem. I missed out on Demon's Crest to.

Aww I thought this was going to be one of those "and I got it!" posts... How much are they charging for it now?

ALM5252

Last Saturday at my local flea Market I managed to buy the following games:

Majora's Mask
Diddy Kong Racing
Super Smash Bros.
Yoshi's Story
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 & 2
Monster Truck Madness
XG2
Conker Live and Reloaded (plan on getting Bad Fur Day soon)
Watermelon N64 Controller
RAM Expansion Pak

All that for $80.

Only thing I dislike is people trying to sell at eBay prices. I only got most of that reasonably because most of the games were in poor condition. Majora and Conker L&R were the most expensive ones, but managed to snag them for cheap due to buying a few items together. Don't think I could manage that again sadly. :(

The only N64 games I have on my list right now are:

Conker's Bad Fur Day
Bomberman Hero
Bomberman 64 The Second Attack
Banjo-Tooie
Donkey Kong 64
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Pokemon Stadium 1
Pokemon Snap
Hey You Pikachu
Animal Forest (JPN Import)
Bomberman 64 (JPN Import / Not Baku Bomberman)

NRezXBX

Neo Member
Decided to take a picture of my recent N64 pickups, or most of them:

NbL.jpg

Pictured:
2 Gray Controllers
Rumble Pak
RGB Modded N64
RGB Cable (SHVC-010)
XRGB-Mini "Framemeister"
EverDrive64 (Deluxe Edition)
Jet Force Gemini
Hori Mini Controller (Ocean Blue)

Not pictured:
Jet Force Gemini Nintendo Power Player's Guide
3rd Gray Controller

Kainazzo

Please do post pictures and impressions of the Everdrive, so tempting.

No pictures, but I've also got an Everdrive and can give some thoughts :)

Really, it's an awesome device. If you're tempted, I'd go ahead and grab it. It's easy to setup and, 99.9% of the time, just works. No issues like you'd get with an emulator, and several mods work too. I got to play the fan-translated Wonder Project J2 on real hardware. Some nitpicks though:

-SD slot is not push/pull, you just slide the card in and hopefully do so correctly. The slot is a tiny bit too wide, so you could possibly stick the card in at a slight angle and have it miss the reader. I've never had to open the cartridge to retrieve it, but I've gotten close. Just be careful the first few times and learn where the receiver is. It should fit snugly and stick out the top of the cartridge by a millimeter or so.

-The menu is in 480i, not 240p. Supposedly a recent update allows for 240p, but I can't get it to work. Very minor, and only affects the menu.

-I've only experienced one compatibility issue. Neon Genesis Evangelion 64 would crash if you attempted to create a new save file, but otherwise played fine. I downloaded a 100% complete save and put it on the cart, now it works without issue. This was several OS updates ago, it may've been fixed.

-Gameshark functions are basic, but are good enough if you only run simple codes.

-I'm not sure how the Memory Pak features work. You can rip backups from them and transfer them back on, but I've had it deleted before. Somehow, someway, I lost my data.

-If you want to play mods, I've heard that the ones which use the Expansion Pak don't work. Apparently it's really easy to trigger the pak in an emulator, not so much on real hardware. I should try one sometime and test it. If you're using a regular game that requires it (Majora's Mask) or a game that makes optional use of it (Rogue Squadron, Perfect Dark), they play and use it fine.

I can't speak for everything, but at least in my experience, this is the real deal. Just make sure you play enough N64 games to justify the price.

No pictures, but I've also got an Everdrive and can give some thoughts :)

Really, it's an awesome device. If you're tempted, I'd go ahead and grab it. It's easy to setup and, 99.9% of the time, just works. No issues like you'd get with an emulator, and several mods work too. I got to play the fan-translated Wonder Project J2 on real hardware. Some nitpicks though:

-SD slot is not push/pull, you just slide the card in and hopefully do so correctly. The slot is a tiny bit too wide, so you could possibly stick the card in at a slight angle and have it miss the reader. I've never had to open the cartridge to retrieve it, but I've gotten close. Just be careful the first few times and learn where the receiver is. It should fit snugly and stick out the top of the cartridge by a millimeter or so.

-The menu is in 480i, not 240p. Supposedly a recent update allows for 240p, but I can't get it to work. Very minor, and only affects the menu.

-I've only experienced one compatibility issue. Neon Genesis Evangelion 64 would crash if you attempted to create a new save file, but otherwise played fine. I downloaded a 100% complete save and put it on the cart, now it works without issue. This was several OS updates ago, it may've been fixed.

-Gameshark functions are basic, but are good enough if you only run simple codes.

-I'm not sure how the Memory Pak features work. You can rip backups from them and transfer them back on, but I've had it deleted before. Somehow, someway, I lost my data.

-If you want to play mods, I've heard that the ones which use the Expansion Pak don't work. Apparently it's really easy to trigger the pak in an emulator, not so much on real hardware. I should try one sometime and test it. If you're using a regular game that requires it (Majora's Mask) or a game that makes optional use of it (Rogue Squadron, Perfect Dark), they play and use it fine.

I can't speak for everything, but at least in my experience, this is the real deal. Just make sure you play enough N64 games to justify the price.

Thats probaby the reason Im not jumping to get one, I dont play enough N64 to really justify it. Its just something I would like to own just to know that if I ever feel like playing a game in the original hardware I can.

I hope that whenever I decide to pull the trigger, they are still available.

Didn't have a chance to play with it last night but it is set up and ready to go. Sitting on my desk this morning was the modified s-video cable which I'm really interested to see what kind of difference it will make.

What kind of modification did they do on the S-video cable exactly?
Apparently pal n64's don't display properly (over bright?) with a standard cable so I assume the dude tweaked it a bit to display correctly.

Initial impressions of the cable are pretty positive. Via composite it looks slightly washed out with a fair bit of noise in the picture. Via s-video there's no noise and the edges seem clearer.
I've only tried Goldeneye as I couldn't get SM64 to boot but I'll try some more tomorrow.

-KRS-

Apparently pal n64's don't display properly (over bright?) with a standard cable so I assume the dude tweaked it a bit to display correctly.

Initial impressions of the cable are pretty positive. Via composite it looks slightly washed out with a fair bit of noise in the picture. Via s-video there's no noise and the edges seem clearer.
I've only tried Goldeneye as I couldn't get SM64 to boot but I'll try some more tomorrow.

Ah that's what I suspected. Yes the S-video cables I tried with my PAL N64 produced an over-bright picture so details in bright parts were lost. For example when rewinding time in Majora's Mask, the clocks encircling Link which he falls past in the cutscene would be barely visible. There was also an odd net pattern over the whole image.

I've heard of this modified cable and have thought about buying it (is it the one from consolegoods.co.uk?), but I wasn't sure if it would be worth it. So I'm definitely interested in hearing your opinion on it. You don't happen to have an ordinary S-video cable to compare with do you?

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Well I have all 3 Nintendo 64 Bummermans again. Found a copy of Bomberman Hero kinda cheap. Really missed the music I guess. The first Bomberman 64 is still my favorite though.

Lynd7

Ah that's what I suspected. Yes the S-video cables I tried with my PAL N64 produced an over-bright picture so details in bright parts were lost. For example when rewinding time in Majora's Mask, the clocks encircling Link which he falls past in the cutscene would be barely visible. There was also an odd net pattern over the whole image.

I've heard of this modified cable and have thought about buying it (is it the one from consolegoods.co.uk?), but I wasn't sure if it would be worth it. So I'm definitely interested in hearing your opinion on it. You don't happen to have an ordinary S-video cable to compare with do you?

I also have the cable from that guy. Looks pretty good and seems to output correctly.

ALM5252

Well I have all 3 Nintendo 64 Bummermans again. Found a copy of Bomberman Hero kinda cheap. Really missed the music I guess. The first Bomberman 64 is still my favorite though.

I'm currently hunting for Bomberman Hero and The Second Attack. I might just get the Japanese version of TSA, Baku Bomberman 2 instead since it's a lot cheaper. After those two is my goal to get the Japanese Exclusive, Bomberman 64. :)

----

I managed to get Pokemon Puzzle League, Super Smash Bros. 64 JPN and Hey You Pikachu with VRU for $35 at my local flea market yesterday. I also got Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for $12 today. I originally got Pokemon Puzzle Challenge, but that game wasn't working right so I managed to trade it for SMB Deluxe instead. I really wanted Puzzle Challenge too. :/

Teknoman

I'm currently hunting for Bomberman Hero and The Second Attack. I might just get the Japanese version of TSA, Baku Bomberman 2 instead since it's a lot cheaper. After those two is my goal to get the Japanese Exclusive, Bomberman 64. :)

Wow i never knew that Bomberman 64 wasnt actually...Bomberman 64.

How is the single player mode?

ALM5252

Wow i never knew that Bomberman 64 wasnt actually...Bomberman 64.

How is the single player mode?

I haven't played the Japanese BM64, but from what I've seen it's a very traditional Bomberman with the grid and such. It's also made up of sprites.

Bomberman 64 [2001 / Japanese]

Check out what I got today for free....

QTsuYrE.jpg

That's a good lot. I've been wanting to get a copy of Conker 64, Mario Party 2, and Tigger's Honey Hunt. Lol You're so lucky! :)

TUSR

Banned
Anyone know where I can pick up some semi-decent controllers? My last one is about to bite the dust with all the SM64 speed running I do.

Rich!

Anyone know where I can pick up some semi-decent controllers? My last one is about to bite the dust with all the SM64 speed running I do.

Competition Pro. I will recommend that pad until the day I die. Analog stick is basically Nintendo's but designed so it never wears out. One of mine has been going strong for over a decade. Only negative point is the shit d pad - but you aren't buying it for that.

And they are cheap.

That was ten quid brand new.

Rich!

The replacement GCN style sticks that plug into the official controllers are the way to go IMO.

Not if you're playing anything that requires precision. Using the cannons in Mario 64 or aiming in Goldeneye with those sticks is an absolute fucking nightmare.

psychotron

Just scored these as well. Need to clean them up a bit, but they play fine. I used to have such a killer collection and I'm finally building it back up.

FSOoxPl.jpg

Delt31

so I just got the nvidia shield and REALLY impressed with how well the mupen 64 emu works on it. I would say it's close to full speed and yes there are little graphic issues here and there but we're talking pretty damn good. I didn't know 64 emu on droid played this well

psychotron

They were selling Super Smash Bros. at Dragons Den for $65.00 without the label. I asked what they'd get for my copy and they wouldn't tell me unless I had it on hand.

Teknoman

My brother was helping someone move and they had them in a box with two controllers and a rumble pack. They "had no use for them", so they gave them to him.

The funny thing is, the majority of the games look like something you think was good for a kid at the time. You can tell they made a mistake with Conker.

ALM5252

Not if you're playing anything that requires precision. Using the cannons in Mario 64 or aiming in Goldeneye with those sticks is an absolute fucking nightmare.

I have one of those GC-styled analog sticks in my custom red controller. It is great for certain games (Majora's Mask has been great with it), but playing Super Smash Bros. is somewhat hard to do Smash Attacks. I don't know if it's because I'm consciously not being "aggressive" with the control stick, but doing a Smash Attack or Dashing works 75% of the time.

I hope a better control stick comes out that would be the ideal replacement for worn-out N64 sticks. Unless there are and I have not found them.

Lynd7

How does the Hori GCN style pad fair in precision aiming, then? You've got me curious now.

I'd like to know this too, do they suffer the same problem or were they calibrated correctly?

I've ordered an analogue stick from the Nintendo Repair Shop, it looks the same as a real N64 one, maybe it works a little better than the GC lookalikes.

Top Bottom