• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Rich!

How does the Hori GCN style pad fair in precision aiming, then? You've got me curious now.

Works brilliantly. Hori pad is goat

The sensitivity on the replacement gamecube style sticks is fucked though. iirc they use a shape for tracking that has considerably less points than it should have. I don't mean the shape IRL, I mean in terms of the electronic recognition.

Theres a way to fix it using a new PCB and some soldering - you can burn the code yourself or buy them from a certain forum I forget the name of.

SKINNER!

Banned
Check out what I got today for free....

QTsuYrE.jpg

AGQG4FJ.gif

Nice one :D

-KRS-

Oh, is that in a newer revision? I swear it never used to have one.

My experience is from years ago.

Hmm I don't know. I bought mine when it was still pretty new though, so I think it always have had that capability. Though I will say that the microSD card reader on mine either doesn't work or it's very picky about which cards you can use. I've only tried it with one microSD card and it said it couldn't find a memory card.

Edit: To clarify, it has both CF and microSD card readers.

That's good to lnow. I ponied up the cash for one but haven't messed aroind with it too much.

(How are you enjoying the new season of 24?)

Works brilliantly. Hori pad is goat

The sensitivity on the replacement gamecube style sticks is fucked though. iirc they use a shape for tracking that has considerably less points than it should have. I don't mean the shape IRL, I mean in terms of the electronic recognition.

Theres a way to fix it using a new PCB and some soldering - you can burn the code yourself or buy them from a certain forum I forget the name of.

What's the story with those sticks?

There are these Gamecube style replacement sticks you can buy from ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Gamecub...r-for-NINTENDO-64-N64-Controller/160655759083

Although those analog sticks are quite popular, they got some serious flaws which can be removed by installing the N64 Stick Converter PCB that was designed by german modder micro.

* No more lag.
* No more timing issues in Super Smash Brothers.
* Smoother output.
* No more skipping steps (quick spin attack in Zelda OoT works)
* Bigger working angle of the stick
* No more "dead" border on the outside of the stick.

So these sticks now work exactly like a brand new out of the box original stick, making them the best and most durable N64 sticks you can get (apart from the original of course).

psychotron

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Gamecub...r-for-NINTENDO-64-N64-Controller/160655759083

Although those analog sticks are quite popular, they got some serious flaws which can be removed by installing the N64 Stick Converter PCB that was designed by german modder micro.

* No more lag.
* Smoother output.

So these sticks now work exactly like a brand new out of the box original stick, making them the best and most durable N64 sticks you can get (apart from the original of course).

That's pretty awesome. Might need to look into that. My controllers have more dead zone than active.

RoadDogg

* No more lag.
* Smoother output.

Now if someone would just make them already built into the replacement sticks so a moron like me could just buy one and swap my old sticks really easily without soldering I would buy at least 4 of them in a heartbeat!

Edit: apparently there are some minor issues with GE/PD but it still sounds like the best option out there.

Edit: apparently there are some minor issues with GE/PD but it still sounds like the best option out there.
Such as?

I dunno, I'm considering replacing my pad's stick, because it's looser than a poorly-tied shoe as-is, but hearing the replacements aren't as good as the originals has always put me off. I mean, the originals were kinda bad to begin with, given they wore away at the joints over time (as well as players' thumbs, if Mario Party is any indication), so being worse is kinda... well, bad.

illusionary

I've recently found myself to be missing my N64, sold a few years ago, so I'm looking into picking up a console again.

I'd ideally like a boxed one of possible, and I've been offered the Goldeneye bundle, in what should be very good condition (slight damage to the box), for £36 delivered. Thoughts on how good/bad a price that is, guys? I'd been hoping ideally to be paying £20-30, but is that unrealistic?

Now if someone would just make them already built into the replacement sticks so a moron like me could just buy one and swap my old sticks really easily without soldering I would buy at least 4 of them in a heartbeat!
He made the code and PCB design open source last year.
As far as i know no stick maker has used it yet.
Link?

Never heard of that problem.
And I also didn´t have any issues while playing Goldeneye MP.

Peagles

He made the code and PCB design open source last year.
As far as i know no stick maker has used it yet.

Link?

Never heard of that problem.
And I also didn´t have any issues while playing Goldeneye MP.

In the original thread by micro someone noted that the crosshair won't go all the way to the edges in Goldeneye or PD. You either have to put up with it or recalibrate specifically for those games. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the PCB, but with the gate around the stick; it physically blocks you moving it as far as it should be able to go.

Or something...

SKINNER!

Banned
I've recently found myself to be missing my N64, sold a few years ago, so I'm looking into picking up a console again.

I'd ideally like a boxed one of possible, and I've been offered the Goldeneye bundle, in what should be very good condition (slight damage to the box), for £36 delivered. Thoughts on how good/bad a price that is, guys? I'd been hoping ideally to be paying £20-30, but is that unrealistic?

How many games/controllers/accessories you get with it? If the console comes with like 3/4 games then I suppose £36 is justifiable. It seems to go for around the price on ebay without any games.

illusionary

How many games/controllers/accessories you get with it? If the console comes with like 3/4 games then I suppose £36 is justifiable. It seems to go for around the price on ebay without any games.
It's just Goldeneye and the one controller - which felt a little too pricy to me. I take it that you'd agree?

SKINNER!

Banned
It's just Goldeneye and the one controller - which felt a little too pricy to me. I take it that you'd agree?

I presume the seller saw how much it's going for on ebay and decided to set it at that price. If you're looking for a bargain then yes, I'd give it a pass considering you can probably get a used boxless N64 with a couple of games and maybe another controller for around the same price. If you're THAT determined to get a boxed N64 and it's in good nick after you've inspected it then try and haggle down to £30/£33. At least you'll save on postage/packaging fees if you bought it from that person rather than ebay.

Don't take my word for it though. See what other UK GAF N64 enthusiasts have to say.

EDIT: With the world cup coming up I might as well ask, Anyone loved playing football games on the N64? Only had FIFA Road to the World Cup and the indoor football stadium games were always a good laugh. Always wanted to try ISS 2000. Were they better?

-KRS-

Went ahead and ordered one of those PAL N64 S-video cables from consolegoods.co.uk. Looking forward to seeing the difference. I have high hopes for this cable. :)

And damn, the guy is really fast on response and shipping! Sent an email yesterday saying I was interested in one and he answered within two hours with how much it would cost. I paid him immediately and today he sent an email saying it'll ship today.

kunonabi

a gameshark and few q-tips later and i'm finally playing all my imports. all i need now is the two goemon games and a couple controllers and i'm pretty much done with n64 purchases.

Lynd7

Does anyone know of a good list for PAL games that were optimized?

Anyone know if Mystical Ninja ran at full speed etc?

Went ahead and ordered one of those PAL N64 S-video cables from consolegoods.co.uk. Looking forward to seeing the difference. I have high hopes for this cable. :)

And damn, the guy is really fast on response and shipping! Sent an email yesterday saying I was interested in one and he answered within two hours with how much it would cost. I paid him immediately and today he sent an email saying it'll ship today.

Hey, forgot to confirm that was the same site I used earlier. He was fast with the response and delivery but it still took a few weeks to arrive in Perth.

-KRS-

Hey, forgot to confirm that was the same site I used earlier. He was fast with the response and delivery but it still took a few weeks to arrive in Perth.

Ah I see. I live in Sweden which is much closer though (and both UK and Sweden is within the EU), so hopefully it'll be a little faster than that.

Took out the 64 collection the other day.
Got these all for between 100-500yen each from junk stores while in Japan.

Still miss my childhood collection which I foolishly sold. For some reason I kept conker and perfect dark though.

illusionary

I presume the seller saw how much it's going for on ebay and decided to set it at that price. If you're looking for a bargain then yes, I'd give it a pass considering you can probably get a used boxless N64 with a couple of games and maybe another controller for around the same price. If you're THAT determined to get a boxed N64 and it's in good nick after you've inspected it then try and haggle down to £30/£33. At least you'll save on postage/packaging fees if you bought it from that person rather than ebay.

Don't take my word for it though. See what other UK GAF N64 enthusiasts have to say.
Ah, this is till one that would need shipping, just not via eBay. I've seen a photo and it looks good to me, and I managed to get them down to £34 in the end (they were asking for £40 originally). Not quite as low as I'd have liked, but enough to tempt me. I should soon have myself an N64 again! Now to start to restore a collection...

Thanks again for your advice.

Rikkun

Does anyone know of a good list for PAL games that were optimized?

Anyone know if Mystical Ninja ran at full speed etc?

Mystical Ninja PAL hasn't got slowed down music so... I guess it's optimized.

I can tell you for sure the ones that aren't.
Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2
Ocarina of Time

Lynd7

Mystical Ninja PAL hasn't got slowed down music so... I guess it's optimized.

I can tell you for sure the ones that aren't.
Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2
Ocarina of Time

The music wouldn't be slowed down. It didn't work like that on the 64 I thought.

SKINNER!

Banned
Took out the 64 collection the other day.
Got these all for between 100-500yen each from junk stores while in Japan.

Still miss my childhood collection which I foolishly sold. For some reason I kept conker and perfect dark though.

Nice, you found a NTSC cart of Conker in Japan for around 100/050 yen? Now I'm tempted to go N64 game hunting when I visit Tokyo in July. Any advice?

Ah, this is till one that would need shipping, just not via eBay. I've seen a photo and it looks good to me, and I managed to get them down to £34 in the end (they were asking for £40 originally). Not quite as low as I'd have liked, but enough to tempt me. I should soon have myself an N64 again! Now to start to restore a collection...

Thanks again for your advice.

Not a problem buddy :) Enjoy!

Nice, you found a NTSC cart of Conker in Japan for around 100/050 yen? Now I'm tempted to go N64 game hunting when I visit Tokyo in July. Any advice?

No no, Sorry. Those bottom four games are from the US. Perfect Dark and Conker from my original N64 collection, and Chameleon Twist and Clay Fighters I snagged from a customer while working at Game Crazy.

Hm. Well going to Tokyo, you're probably not going to find the best deals easily.

Just check out every game store you can and don't be afraid to browse through the bins that are clearly marked as 'junk'. Honestly I can't think of a single game I got in the junk section that didn't work with a good cleaning. They'll probably be boxless though.

The 50yen games were marked as such at GEO stores (game purchase and movie rental store chain) when they were getting rid of their older game stocks. By the time I moved there, they were already in the process of liquidating stock, I think. Everything was marked 105 yen.. eventually I found them marking the left overs at 50yen. Crazy good if you could find a decent game in the mess.

The bigger game stores will have the best game variety, but the worst deals.
If you want deals, you'll want to hit junk stores like 'Hard Off'. Here they are scattered around the Tokyo area: https://www.google.com/maps/search/hard+off/@35.7095757,139.6863774,11z

Street view them to get a good look. You'll see those blue and yellow signs as a glorious beacon for junk games. Don't be discouraged if you find nothing. You'll comb through piles and piles of baseball and pachinko games and often find nothing.

I'd also recommend a quick visit into miscellaneous Recycle Shops. Often, mom and pop style shops don't know what they're holding onto.. You just have to get lucky, and be at the right place at the right time.

If all else fails, no joke, Amazon Japan. Just search for a game you might be looking for, and buy it used from a low priced seller. I ended up rounding off my Famicom collection by buying a lot of the games I couldn't find, straight from Amazon Japan. The prices here are almost always cheaper than I could find them in the big game stores, and there was only one game I ever ordered at 'acceptable' quality that looked awful. It still cleaned up pretty good.

Almost every game in my collection is from a Hardoff, honestly. You'll love the song they play in the store once it's drilled into your head. Doo do do do!... Dooo do do dooo... dooo! Anyway, just check everywhere you can, and again, the junk sections are where you wanna be. The only junk items that usually don't work will be painfully clear in that regard, and junk consoles will actually be marked concerning whether they've been tested and what the problems are. I'd often buy the untested ones, just because they'd more often than not work, anyway.

Good luck!

-KRS-

Just got home from a retro game themed restaurant which I'm basically a regular at these days. Mostly go there for their pinball machines and Tetris Grand Master 1 machine, and of course their excellent food. But today they held a Mario Kart 64 tournament. Was really fun. 20 contestants. I made it to the semi-finals. :D

SKINNER!

Banned
Played around with my Xplorer cheat cartridge today and the retro main menu brought back memories. Now I can experiment with codes and see where it takes me.

Oh and I thought I'd try this and see if I can use cheat codes on my US NTSC games...

Result:
It freakin' worked! Wooo, so chuffed with that

Teknoman

Played around with my Xplorer cheat cartridge today and the retro main menu brought back memories. Now I can experiment with codes and see where it takes me.

Oh and I thought I'd try this and see if I can use cheat codes on my US NTSC games...

Result:

Here comes a new challenger?! :p

Slap a 64 DD on it, and send it to fight the Sega tower of power ship.

televator

It gets points for style in that there's a fucking cart sticking out at a 90 degree angle, but it don't beat the king Model 1 SEGAzord setup.

Lynd7

No answers on the analog stick question I asked five days ago?

My personal favorite Sega Tower of Power

This one?

I've ordered a replacement stick from the Nintendo Repair Shop. I don't have it need really, but I am curious at what they are like. They seem to possibly be the best option for a no fuss stick.

I also recently watched this video http://youtu.be/e35Muk5GHAA

This guys method seems pretty good at restoring the original part that has worn down.

My Hori pad arrived too, if you want to splash out and buy one, it is really good once you adjust to it.

Result:

Can you list the hardware in this picture??

Specifically, whats that thing that holds a Cartdrige horizontally and what happens when you have 2 games connected to that mounstrocity.

-KRS-

Can you list the hardware in this picture??

Specifically, whats that thing that holds a Cartdrige horizontally and what happens when you have 2 games connected to that mounstrocity.

I'm gonna guess it's an adapter/converter to play other region games. That's how many SNES adapters work, like the Honeybee Adapter. So the horizontal cartridge is a local region game that provides the lockout chip to fool the N64.

Top Bottom