• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Seik

Banned
So I remember being called out when I pushed the replacement joysticks on Ebay as a 'perfect' replacement. There's even a guy that saw my enthusiasm and thought I was working for someone on Ebay to push the product here. These were digital though and weren't the best for games like Goldeneyes and the likes.

Those, however, seemed to have a pretty solid durability. I still have mine and it's still perfectly centered. I saw these on Ebay and they seem to be analog this time.

$_12.JPG

I'm a bit skeptical though, since it seems to be built the same way the originals were made, so I fear they may get used in the same way the originals were getting loose with time.

Highly tempted to buy one and try it out...anyone here tried it?

RoadDogg

I'm curious if anyone tests those as well. Even if they do wear down over time, for $8 I would gladly replace it every 5 years to always have a working controller.

SKINNER!

Banned
I keep finding gamecube analogue sticks ones on ebay that you can fit on an n64 controller. Curious to see if that analogue stick works out better than the traditional stick.

Zalman

If you want to see pricey N64 games try PAL Mario Party 3, Paper Mario and other super late games...
The PAL prices for these games are insane. I'm glad I have them already so I don't have to bother anymore.

I had no idea N64 had region free games. That kind of blew my mind.

ivanmark

To save your game, you can use the game's built-in EEPROM system. However, there is only one slot to save in, and it doesn't record your high scores. If you're in it for the long haul, you'll want to use a Memory Pack to save in Blast Corps. You get four save slots using a Memory Pack, all of which save your high scores. However, each slots takes up 7 slots in your Memory Pack, and Blast Corps automatically equips you with four slots. If you try to delete any of these slots, Blast Corps re-creates them the next time you play the game.

Celine

If you have a controller pak inserted I believe it auto saves when you return to the map screen.
I have a pal cart with three slot but after the beating the first mission I quit and the slit were still empty.

Edit: never mind it seems a problem with the save pack. Using the eeprom works.

Coreda

I saw a positive review of the TTX clone controller. The analog mech seems like a big improvement over OEM.

Interesting, especially the USB version, but from a glance at reviews online the quality sounds rather poor.

$_12.JPG

I'm a bit skeptical though, since it seems to be built the same way the originals were made, so I fear they may get used in the same way the originals were getting loose with time.

Highly tempted to buy one and try it out...anyone here tried it?

When my sticks finally crap out may try these.

Chastten

Banned
Imo, people shouldn't worry too much about destroying the control stick.

I bought a bunch of these replacement sticks around.. 2000 or something, and yes, they have the same build quality as the originals, meaning they will eventually wear out.

However, properly using the controller makes all the difference. Back in those days I used my N64 daily but in over 5 years, I only 'broke' one controller myself. The controllers I let my cousins use got replaced each 6 months or so.

cacildo

What's the best price you can get on these replacement sticks?

Are they easy to install?

(The reviews on third party controllers look pretty harsh, so I'm thinking about securing these before n64 stuff becomes too rare and expensive)

Chastten

Banned
I don't know about the price (bought mine over a decide ago for around €6 a piece) but installing them is really, really easy. You don't even need a special screwdriver or something. Just make sure it has a magnetic head :p

Just remove the 9 screws from the backside and open it up.

Once opened, lift the center blue part (essentially that's the Z-button) and gently pull the blue part to the right of that from the board. Remove the screws, replace the block with your new block, and do the aforementioned in reverse. Will cost you maybe 5-10 minutes?

RGamer2009

Neo Member
Can't make my own topic on this, so here will have to do.

We may soon have a working Super GameBoy on the N64 using the Transfer Pack.

Some hackers have been messing with the N64 Transfer Pack and Pokemon Stadium earlier this year. One, named Mezmorize decided to try and boot a game that wasn't Pokemon into Pokemon Stadium using the Game Boy Tower. In short, he got it to work! By using a flash cart, modifying the game's header, and making it look like Pokemon Blue, Pokemon Stadium took it and ran the game. Crazily it also added the Super Gameboy borders to boot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB9jr4lOOvw

The game crashes after this cutscene though. So he tried to use a simpler game. He had to modify the game even more, making it the same size and header as the Pokemon ROM. It too booted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As0v0hNBgAw&list=UUgX4JmHxh49Sk9yr-QJdZvw

One more video from Zoinkity shows Tetris and Link's Awakening running (with some graphics issues):

http://youtu.be/rZX54lGgiHU?t=43s

So as you can see, we are not too far off of this working. Any game can run on the system either of two ways: The GameBoy ROM has to be hacked to look like a PKMN game, or Pokemon Stadium itself needs to be modified to remove the GameBoy game checks from the GameBoy Tower, which in theory could be done by Gameshark codes.

I think this is really neat. What do you all think?

cacildo

I don't know about the price (bought mine over a decide ago for around €6 a piece) but installing them is really, really easy. You don't even need a special screwdriver or something. Just make sure it has a magnetic head :p

Just remove the 9 screws from the backside and open it up.

Once opened, lift the center blue part (essentially that's the Z-button) and gently pull the blue part to the right of that from the board. Remove the screws, replace the block with your new block, and do the aforementioned in reverse. Will cost you maybe 5-10 minutes?

Great! Thank you for the answer! Will get the replacement stick in the future

Castcoder

Banned
Can't make my own topic on this, so here will have to do.

We may soon have a working Super GameBoy on the N64 using the Transfer Pack.

Some hackers have been messing with the N64 Transfer Pack and Pokemon Stadium earlier this year. One, named Mezmorize decided to try and boot a game that wasn't Pokemon into Pokemon Stadium using the Game Boy Tower. In short, he got it to work! By using a flash cart, modifying the game's header, and making it look like Pokemon Blue, Pokemon Stadium took it and ran the game. Crazily it also added the Super Gameboy borders to boot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB9jr4lOOvw

The game crashes after this cutscene though. So he tried to use a simpler game. He had to modify the game even more, making it the same size and header as the Pokemon ROM. It too booted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As0v0hNBgAw&list=UUgX4JmHxh49Sk9yr-QJdZvw

One more video from Zoinkity shows Tetris and Link's Awakening running (with some graphics issues):

http://youtu.be/rZX54lGgiHU?t=43s

So as you can see, we are not too far off of this working. Any game can run on the system either of two ways: The GameBoy ROM has to be hacked to look like a PKMN game, or Pokemon Stadium itself needs to be modified to remove the GameBoy game checks from the GameBoy Tower, which in theory could be done by Gameshark codes.

I think this is really neat. What do you all think?

For a while, I honestly thought the ROMs of the Gameboy games were in Stadium and you only used the transfer pak to dump your save file. Interesting...

RGamer2009

Neo Member
So is the transfer pack emulating the game or is it a tiny Super Game Boy? This is really interesting

Yeah, does the transfer pack contain Game Boy hardware? The nice thing about Super Game Boy Player is that is uses actual GB hardware.

Pokemon Stadium and Stadium 2 have a GameBoy Emulator built into the cartridge for playing the GB PKMN games. The Transfer Pack transfers the ROM data from the GB cart to Stadium, acting as the interface between the GB game and the Emulator inside Stadium.

I am not sure if it uses actual GB hardware or not.

Peagles

Seems kinda cool but not sure if it's needed what with the Super Gameboy and the Gameboy Player. Neat though at any rate.

televator

I'd imagine that an emu could be put on a Everdrive that just plays all the games without needing complicated workarounds no? Heck, you could probably forget the transfer pak.

Pokemon Stadium and Stadium 2 have a GameBoy Emulator built into the cartridge for playing the GB PKMN games. The Transfer Pack transfers the ROM data from the GB cart to Stadium, acting as the interface between the GB game and the Emulator inside Stadium.

I am not sure if it uses actual GB hardware or not.
That makes sense. It's really odd that the Super Game Boy borders are there.

I would love to see how accurate the emulator is, crazy that Nintendo never used this tech to release something official to play GB games on the TV.

Kitoro

So I'm itching to replay Mystical Ninja 64, but I don't want to open my sealed copy, nor can I get it on Virtual Console. I tried running it last year on my Ouya to horrible results. Can anyone test it on a PC Emulator and let me know if my dreams of playing this game in HD are never going to come true due to the games engine?

Hell, I'd buy an Nvidia shield if it could run this game. It's one of my favorite games ever.

Thanks!

cacildo

Where can i buy an Everdrive 64 for the best price and get it delivered to canada?

When i say i want "buy an Everdrive 64" i mean the full, ready, plug and play cartrige, like this

ed64-360x300ota1f.jpg

Has anyone ever used this?
http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_to_n64_adapter/index.php

I'm very intrigued, but curious if anyone have impressions. I actually have a Hori Minipad which is indeed glorious but it's just so tiny.

The price is kinda high for an adapter.... I love the gamecube controller as much as the next guy, but for this price i think i better be fighting with old N64 controllers and replacement sticks

Congratulations on your Hori mini. I really wish i had one, but they are VERY expensive nowdays...

WatTsu

So, uh, hi.

A month or two ago I unloaded a bunch of old games and other paraphernalia at the local retro game shop and wound up with enough credit to get an N64. My younger brother had one, but after I moved to college I'm pretty sure he sold it. It's the one non-Virtual Boy Nintendo system I felt like I never had that much experience with.

So I've been collecting games for it ever since. I'm not particularly picky about cases/etc. because I just want to try a lot of different games so these are all loose. So far this is what I've picked up:

Mario 64 (really, THE reason I wanted one)
Pokemon Puzzle League
WWF No Mercy
NFL Blitz
1080 Snowboarding
Shadows of the Empire
Rogue Squadron
Mace: The Dark Age
Pilotwings 64
Jet Force Gemini
Blast Corps
Hybrid Heaven
War Gods (I feel oddly compelled to grab terrible N64 fighting games).

So all told I haven't spent much out of pocket and I've got lots of games. Seems like it's pretty easy to collect for. Not overly concerned about the big multiplayer guns like Smash and Mario Kart, as I have other more recent versions of those so I'm good. Thinking about grabbing Pokemon Snap and Star Wars Episode 1: Racer for primarily nostalgic reasons. I've also sort of been considering Mickey's Speedway, KI: Gold, and Fighter's Destiny (either 1 or 2), any thoughts on those? Also, where might one get inexpensive Expansion Paks for the purposes of Donkey Kong 64?

Anyway, just thought I'd poke my head in and say hey. I've been enjoying this thread for a while.

Where can i buy an Everdrive 64 for the best price and get it delivered to canada?

When i say i want "buy an Everdrive 64" i mean the full, ready, plug and play cartrige, like this

ed64-360x300ota1f.jpg

The price is kinda high for an adapter.... I love the gamecube controller as much as the next guy, but for this price i think i better be fighting with old N64 controllers and replacement sticks

Congratulations on your Hori mini. I really wish i had one, but they are VERY expensive nowdays...
Retrogate is Krizz's shop, and he seems to have a pretty fair price for shipping, to the US anyway. Hopefully Canada pricing is good too. Plus you'll be supporting him directly, which is cool. I've always received good service through Retrogate.

I'm actually all right with the cost of the adapter since it seems well made, and allows for custom mapping. I'm actually kind of curious if FPS on N64 become a little more playable with the C-stick. I'm planning on modding my wavebird with a second analog stick and removing the C-stick. Makes me wonder how movement would be when the c buttons are, well, buttons, and the c-stick is, well, a c-stick.

cacildo

Retrogate is Krizz's shop, and he seems to have a pretty fair price for shipping, to the US anyway. Hopefully Canada pricing is good too. Plus you'll be supporting him directly, which is cool. I've always received good service through Retrogate.

Thank you. I will get to talk to this Retrogate shop.
I have one guy that actually imports the Everdrive 64 on a town close to mine. But he´s asking $200 for it and also gets em in limited supply (he says next batch will be only 6 units, coming in 5 days, and from what i see online a lot more than 6 people want em)

(in fact $200 is not that far from the $130 Retrogate is asking, and buying with the local i could have the Everdrive NOW, while asking for my brother in Canada means i will get it in december.
But if the local guy only has 6 of em and a lot of people want em... i really cant do this since i have other means of buying it)

For a while, I honestly thought the ROMs of the Gameboy games were in Stadium and you only used the transfer pak to dump your save file. Interesting...
I still think that is the case. Compare the loading of Wario Land 2 and Links Awakening to Pokemon. They behave differently. Pokemon plays the intro to that game during the loading (unless this is some sort of mask) while the other games just sit at a loading screen for about the same time, maybe longer.

ramparter

Banned
Is it possible to make a N64 run faster (overclocking maybe?) so one can play the original cart games exactly the same only with no framedrops?

televator

Is it possible to make a N64 run faster (overclocking maybe?) so one can play the original cart games exactly the same only with no framedrops?

Yes. The guy working on the GC/N64 HDMI board has vids up with an OC'd graphics chip on an N64 and it looks very smooth.

That's just how it is I'm afraid. The logic of "this game is popular so it should cost more" pretty much. Some Comic book store owner basically told me that when I asked why this Perfect Dark copy was so expensive compared to the others. I'm thankfully almost done with N64 games. I'm almost at my 64 goal. At 59 now thanks to Mario Party.

Any one of these will do I guess.

Mario Tennis
Mystical Ninja
Goemon's Great Adventure
Starcraft 64
Dr. Mario 64
Tetrisphere
Turok 3
Space Station: Silicon Valley
Rocket: Robot on Wheels
Forsaken 64

I have a Mario Tennis I'm looking to offload actually if you're interested. Otherwise it's just going to Ebay. PM me if you want.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
What's the best N64 emulator on Mac? I'm brand new to emulation and have NO CLUE what to look for.

Recall

Obtaining Official memory cards that work is my current goal. So many dodgy third party memory cards are out there and buying off eBay has resulted in fake items been passed off as legit :(

I'm in the UK so no idea how widespread the issue is.

SKINNER!

Banned
Always hated te N64's memory cards. The 3rd party ones I had growing up always got corrupted and I lost my save files numerous times. I can't tell if it's because I always swapped out the memory card for the rumble pack often (When the N64 advises me to do so) or 3rd party memory cards are just generally shit. Managed to get an official one when I Was in Japan so hopefully I'll just use that one for all my memory card games.

SKINNER!

Banned
In my experience, 1st party memory cards aren't terribly reliable either.

Gah, shame. I'll still use it but won't have much faith in it. Oh well, I resorted to getting a cheap cartridge and just unlocking all the secret levels/characters in case I lost my save files today.

Top Bottom