• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

From a North American perspective, anyone else getting that feeling that now is the time to start collecting N64 games because in a few years some of them are going to reach SNES levels of "Wtf? it costs how much?" ridiculousness? Thankfully I already have most of the games I've been wanting for the system, but I should probably start getting a little more serious about getting the ones I don't have. If I ever have money again, that is.

serial to USB adapter?
I was figuring it'd be that easy, but I've never looked into it, so I didn't want to assume the Dex drive would work with an adapter (I only say this because my memory card reader for original Xbox wouldn't work on Windows 7, but luckily I had my work laptop that still used Win XP)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
for real? go on, never heard this being a problem but i'm paranoid about these things
Just the usual case of saves corrupting 1 out of every X attempts to play anything, with increasing frequency as time went on.

Neither N64 nor GCN memory cards were that reliable in my experience, and this was consistent among my old circle of friends. It was always 1st party cards too, and it didn't matter what size. They'd be fine for a few years but would eventually fail pretty often. We always had to keep backup files for Perfect Dark or Melee or whatever, just to be safe.

Add in the Saturn's horrible cartridge slot, and I guess that means that the Dreamcast and PS2 were the only systems I ever had that never gave me problems with memory cards.

Teknoman

So far these are all I need:

Bomberman 64 2
Turok 3
Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth
Snowboard Kids
Legend of the Mystical Ninja 64
Rakuga Kids
Starfox 64
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Perfect Dark
Killer Instinct Gold

Maybe Evangelion. Ocarina and Star Fox I just want to have original copies of (i've already got the 3DS remakes).

IrishNinja

@sixfortyfive - damn, wasn't aware of any of that - sucks, since i'd had it in my head that first party cards = legit/trustworthy. worse yet, i rely heavily on GCN ones!

hadn't considered an N64 everdrive (i think MK, Perfect Dark & Smash were among the few games i have that used it?), but i could see it being worth it, they're prolly cheap now too

Seik

Banned
Just the usual case of saves corrupting 1 out of every X attempts to play anything, with increasing frequency as time went on.

Neither N64 nor GCN memory cards were that reliable in my experience, and this was consistent among my old circle of friends. It was always 1st party cards too, and it didn't matter what size. They'd be fine for a few years but would eventually fail pretty often. We always had to keep backup files for Perfect Dark or Melee or whatever, just to be safe.

Add in the Saturn's horrible cartridge slot, and I guess that means that the Dreamcast and PS2 were the only systems I ever had that never gave me problems with memory cards.

Shit, I didn't know about this. :(

Seik

Banned
Double post because hype.

I've been watching a couple of Nintendo ads because of the thread that popped up today about an awesome Nintendo ad. Ended up watching a couple of videos of Star Fox, Banjo-Kazooie, Zelda, Mario Kart 64, Smash Bros, etc. Shit got me hyped as hell, hahaha!

So in a swing of nostalgia I hooked up the N64 the best way it can be played right next to my bed, I'll have a couple of sessions before sleeping this week, probably.

Doing a good Star Fox 64 session before sleep is perfect. Seriously, this game never gets old. :D

G5BeozS.jpg

Ric Flair

Banned

I've been watching a couple of Nintendo ads because of the thread that popped up today about an awesome Nintendo ad. Ended up watching a couple of videos of Star Fox, Banjo-Kazooie, Zelda, Mario Kart 64, Smash Bros, etc. Shit got me hyped as hell, hahaha!

So in a swing of nostalgia I hooked up the N64 the best way it can be played right next to my bed, I'll have a couple of sessions before sleeping this week, probably.

Doing a good Star Fox 64 session before sleep is perfect. Seriously, this game never gets old. :D

G5BeozS.jpg

So, out of curiosity. How old were you when the N64 came out? I ask because HOLY SHIT at your collection of boxed games, incredible!

Seik

Banned
So, out of curiosity. How old were you when the N64 came out? I ask because HOLY SHIT at your collection of boxed games, incredible!

I was 7 years old and I got one the same year for Christmas. :)

But none of those are from this time, I started collecting 7 years ago. I exchanged everything I had to always get the new gizmo back then because I was broke, so it led to me not having much stuff for a while. Later, when I started having a constant, decent income I invested. :p

There's one time where I got lucky at a flea market where a guy was selling a bunch of boxes and manual for 1$ each. So I got something like 12 of those, with the like of Mario 64, Killer Instinct Gold, Goldeneyes, Banjo-Tooie, etc. It was pretty much my best N64 deal ever. Plus it made my N64 boxed collection quite big in one shot.

---

That said, I'm done with that Star Fox run, I thought I was having my best score to date, but I choked... it's my 2nd best run though.

BBsCcIk.png
Cfw8It1.png
YdNWVGh.png

noquarter

I recently hooked my 64 back up and the one memory card I tried was corrupted. Have two more 1st party ones to try and a third party one, hopefully one of those is good.

Back in the day though I never had a problem with them. I, like a lot of others apparently, trusted the Nintendo name in respect to my saves, so this is disheartening.

Sixfortyfive

I've seen people accuse the Wii console itself of corrupting GCN memory cards, but I've always wondered how much truth there is to that. I just don't think the memory cards were very reliable in the first place.

alf717

I've seen people accuse the Wii console itself of corrupting GCN memory cards, but I've always wondered how much truth there is to that. I just don't think the memory cards were very reliable in the first place.

The 1019 card can get corrupted if used on the Wii. It happened to my nephew. My 256 black memory card runs like a champ in my Wii though.

G5BeozS.jpg

That boxed copy of Mega Man 64 made me salivate, beautiful.

Seik

Banned
The 1019 card can get corrupted if used on the Wii. It happened to my nephew. My 256 black memory card runs like a champ in my Wii though.

Really? When I bought my 1019 card I heard they had problems with corrupted files...AFTER BUYING IT...are these related to Wii only?

I've been using mine on my Gamecube, exclusively. Hope I'll be fine.

That boxed copy of Mega Man 64 made me salivate, beautiful.

Thanks! :D

Seik

Banned

I swear, every times I'm playing SF64 I could talk the whole script while playing.

Played a bit of Banjo-Kazooie tonight, completed the first level at 100%, then I went on Ebay and bought another digital/GameCube-like joystick, mine is okay, it still works perfectly after more than 100 hours in it, maybe it's not the best for Goldeneyes and Perfect Dark, but I don't give a damn. I prefer having this durable stick than a stiff replica of the OG one that'll fade away just like the OG one, too. My friend always end up with a shit controller when it's not me giving them the good controller, so that will be fixed.

I swear, every times I'm playing SF64 I could talk the whole script while playing.

Played a bit of Banjo-Kazooie tonight, completed the first level at 100%, then I went on Ebay and bought another digital/GameCube-like joystick, mine is okay, it still works perfectly after more than 100 hours in it, maybe it's not the best for Goldeneyes and Perfect Dark, but I don't give a damn. I prefer having this durable stick than a stiff replica of the OG one that'll fade away just like the OG one, too. My friend always end up with a shit controller when it's not me giving them the good controller, so that will be fixed.

I've seen people mention replacing the OG stick is pain free and reason... same case for the Gamecube style? I'd love to try it.

What I don't understand is why the new sticks are apparently so inferior. Something to do with not being able to do quick full-circles or Smash attacks properly?

From a North American perspective, anyone else getting that feeling that now is the time to start collecting N64 games because in a few years some of them are going to reach SNES levels of "Wtf? it costs how much?" ridiculousness? Thankfully I already have most of the games I've been wanting for the system, but I should probably start getting a little more serious about getting the ones I don't have. If I ever have money again, that is.

Yep. That's why I'm forgoing new gen and trying to flesh out my retro collection, specifically N64 and PS1, before the next nostalgia-fueled price spike.

Seik

Banned
I've seen people mention replacing the OG stick is pain free and reason... same case for the Gamecube style? I'd love to try it.

Depends which joystick you buy.

It will be my second GC-like one. I made sure I ordered it from the same place because it really was a pain free installation. I didn't bought nor tried the analog one, but I read in a couple of places that the OG-like (analog) one doesn't fits sometimes and that it feels stiffer than an OG stick, that you need to add jig-a-loo and shit like that, maybe they're analog, but I don't want any hassle, especially if they're going to get used like the OG one.

Remove the screws on the back in the controller, the three screws that hold the stick, disconnect the connector, place the other and all the screws back and boom, done.

What I don't understand is why the new sticks are apparently so inferior. Something to do with not being able to do quick full-circles or Smash attacks properly?

IDK either. :(

Anth0ny

Absolutely.

There are a ton of N64 games I want and I need to get on that before prices start to get crazy.

Celine

It seems the cartridge port of my N64 doesn't read always the cart at the first try, I often need to clean the cart pins even if it shouldn't be dirt.
I tried to clean with alchol the N64 slot but I still have the same problem.

Any way I can improve the situation?

Chastten

Banned
Well, this thread made me feel nostalgic so I decided to dig up my N64 boxes from the attic. Haven't played it in a couple of years and I don't even have an old tube tv anymore, so... wish me luck. :p

cacildo

My new old purple N64 arrived today.

Got two games: Pilotwings and a japanese Shadows of the Empire

The games play great. They're actually more fun than i remembered.

But they look TERRIBLE in my plasma TV.

I dont care about lack of polygons or 19fps. But the muddy graphics, dark colors... these are trouble, feels like im too old and my eyes arent the same

Two completely non exciting pictures

n649zuwg.jpg

n642woswi.jpg

Hey, my GC controller makes a cameo. So did my two EA wiiU games

Peagles

I dont care about lack of polygons or 19fps. But the muddy graphics, dark colors... these are trouble, feels like im too old and my eyes arent the same

(will update with pictures)

Come on over to the dark side... :p

oh god this is going to hurt i can feel it

(thanks, will dig in real soon)
It will hurt. I'm not rich. But I have some disposable income, and the PVM game is the happiest I've felt spending money on non-necessary things. Either your money goes to strippers or making your games look wonderful. You choose!

cacildo

It will hurt. I'm not rich. But I have some disposable income, and the PVM game is the happiest I've felt spending money on non-necessary things. Either your money goes to strippers or making your games look wonderful. You choose!

Ah, i probably made a mess out of it. I wasnt exactly complaining about costs (even thou i dont have a lot of disposable income). The biggest problem for me is having to read a lot of stuff, gathering information, asking, etc....

Let me try to ask it in this topic, because is more focused on N64 woes....

Situation:
I have a N64 and i want it to display the best possible image on my Tvs

Inventory:
- I have one Samsung 50´ plasma tv
- I have one LG 32´ plasma tv
- None of em have S-video in

- I have one NUSM-001 Nintendo 64 console. Its seems to be a brazilian version

Questions:

Can i mod this Nintendo 64 console for "RGB"?

What exactly is this "RGB" mod? Can i do it myself?

if i cant mod it for "RGB", can i use an Svideo adapter (picture) and expect it to be just like if my tvs had S-video in?

cabo-adaptador-vga-p-etue1.jpg

cacildo

I can't answer all of your questions, but I can tell you that this thing would do literally nothing.

Right, i was a little drunk last night. Let me rephrase the question

s-videoewc1o.jpg

Will this work as a regular S-video connection?

Will it give me a better image on my plasma tv than the default RCA cable?

Seik

Banned

Two completely non exciting pictures

n649zuwg.jpg

n642woswi.jpg

Hey, my GC controller makes a cameo. So did my two EA wiiU games

Playing in 4:3 would be a good start, actually. :p

Sixfortyfive

http://abload.de/img/s-videoewc1o.jpg

The answer is the same: that adapter will literally do nothing.

VGA does not carry composite video, s-video, or audio signals, and that adapter clearly isn't large enough to house the hardware needed to convert from one video format to another. It's almost certainly designed for specialized equipment and won't do anything for your TV.

cacildo

The answer is the same: that adapter will literally do nothing.

VGA does not carry composite video, s-video, or audio signals, and that adapter clearly isn't large enough to house the hardware needed to convert from one video format to another. It's almost certainly designed for specialized equipment and won't do anything for your TV.

Got it. Thanks....

1) Considering none of my TVs have an S-video plug in, will any adapter help me on getting a better image?

2) What about more expensive solutions, modding or upscalers?? What could really help in my case?
I tried to dig in the upscalers thread, but since its not N64 focused i got lost....

Playing in 4:3 would be a good start, actually. :p

Did it last night. It did help a little, but not much....

Akzel

I miss those days playing Mystical Ninja N64 (both of them but especially the 1st one). I wish they could make another one for current consoles or at least releasing them on Virtual Console.

Sixfortyfive

What about more expensive solutions, modding or upscalers?? What could really help in my case?
I tried to dig in the upscalers thread, but since its not N64 focused i got lost....
You should still ask in that thread. Almost everything in the OP is relevant and will shed some light on why modern TVs are poor at handling old consoles on their own in the first place. Someone in that thread should also be able to tell you if your particular N64 can be modded for RGB, if you'd rather upgrade to that instead of using s-video.

If you just want a quick list of converters that might help for your TV, check near the top of Fudoh's page for his Top 5 lists for 240p and 480i processors. The N64 has games that can run at either of those resolutions, so you'd probably want something that's good for both. His Micomsoft Special is also a good starting place for learning the pros and cons that different upscalers tend to have.

EDIT: Be aware that, imo, there's only so much you can do to clean up the image on an N64. You'd need to look into emulation hacks if you really want to eliminate blurry low-res textures.

baphomet

s-videoewc1o.jpg

Cables like that literally do nothing. VGA doesn't carry any or those signals.

cacildo

Bad news, th R button of my only controller is not responding.

It was fine, but suddenly stopped working. Than it came back a few times, working perfectly. But now it seems to have gone for good.

Is there a way to fix it at home without practice on the subject?

(The controller cord is mended with tape at a point. I dont know what is the problem below it, but the rest of the controller works fine)

baphomet

Bad news, th R button of my only controller is not responding.

It was fine, but suddenly stopped working. Than it came back a few times, working perfectly. But now it seems to have gone for good.

Is there a way to fix it at home without practice on the subject?

(The controller cord is mended with tape at a point. I dont know what is the problem below it, but the rest of the controller works fine)

Just take it apart and see what's causing the problem. More than likely the button activator has moved out of place.

Celine

Today I did a long session with my N64.
I've played to Banjo Kazooie, Top Gear Rally, pilotwings 64, Doom 64 and Body Harvest.
First four are classics IMO, they still play well to these days.
BH is a neat concept but very clunky.

Top Bottom