• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

boyshine

Is this possible to fix, or is this the downside to N64 RGB on LCD LED TVs?

sm64a3y6k.jpg

NUS-001 (FRA) PAL RGB-mod

What type of resistors do you have on the rgb lines?

This is the information I've got from the guy who did it:
image8cugz.jpg

So, I posted this some months ago, but never really got a response. Does anyone know?

Peagles

So, I posted this some months ago, but never really got a response. Does anyone know?

I don't know what that picture is trying to say, but baphomet was asking about what resistors you had in there because they determine the brightness you're experiencing. If you can tell us what resistors are in your mod, we can tell you whether to put in higher or lower ones to adjust the brightness to how you want.

In general 75ohm resistors are recommended with the lowest tolerance possible. If that's what you already have, you might need to adjust further (particularly if the French N64 operates slightly differently).

boyshine

I don't know what that picture is trying to say, but baphomet was asking about what resistors you had in there because they determine the brightness you're experiencing. If you can tell us what resistors are in your mod, we can tell you whether to put in higher or lower ones to adjust the brightness to how you want.

In general 75ohm resistors are recommended with the lowest tolerance possible. If that's what you already have, you might need to adjust further (particularly if the French N64 operates slightly differently).

Yeah, I don't do it myself. All I have is that info.

Peagles

Yeah, I don't do it myself. All I have is that info.

Do you want to fix it yourself though? You might have to open it up and show us some photos if that's the case. Is it a French model though?

Edit: Sounds like you should really take it back to the modder and get them to put it right. Baphomet did my RGB N64 and I certainly don't have that problem. Mine's NTSC though and from what I'm reading the mod is slightly different for PAL FRA models, but you shouldn't have to suffer shoddy work like that.

-KRS-

Yeah I think it's too dark? You'll have to buy a modded cable.

It's actually too bright. I bought a PAL N64 s-video cable from consolegoods.co.uk and the picture with that one is really great.

Also if your PAL TV doesn't have S-video there's a good chance it accepts S-video through SCART with one of those composite/s-video -> SCART converters.

Edit: Oh and I've read that apparently only the standard dark gray/black PAL N64s output S-video. So if you have one of those colored N64s chances are it won't work with that PAL S-video cable anyway.

boyshine

Do you want to fix it yourself though? You might have to open it up and show us some photos if that's the case. Is it a French model though?

Edit: Sounds like you should really take it back to the modder and get them to put it right. Baphomet did my RGB N64 and I certainly don't have that problem. Mine's NTSC though and from what I'm reading the mod is slightly different for PAL FRA models, but you shouldn't have to suffer shoddy work like that.

I did send my first one back, awaiting a new one in a couple of days, but I fear it's the same. I've ordered a SNES PAL RGB-cable this time, instead of the GameCube RGB cable I used before, but if there's no difference I might try to fix it myself. Never done anything like this though.

It's actually too bright. I bought a PAL N64 s-video cable from consolegoods.co.uk and the picture with that one is really great.

Also if your PAL TV doesn't have S-video there's a good chance it accepts S-video through SCART with one of those composite/s-video -> SCART converters.

Edit: Oh and I've read that apparently only the standard dark gray/black PAL N64s output S-video. So if you have one of those colored N64s chances are it won't work with that PAL S-video cable anyway.

I know the florescent and later model black ones can't be RGB modded. Maybe it's related to that?

SKINNER!

Banned
I get my boxed Bangai-O copy at Mandarake in Akiba in november, it was pretty much cheaper than Super Potato and the staff there allowed me to check the box first, not in Super Potato (they say just "no").

Oh cool! Yeah, super potato's staff seemed far too busy to help from when I was there. Never managed to find Bangai-o but now that I'm back I got to try Sin and Punishment and wow its addictive light gun action good! Does take a while to get used to the controls.

Teknoman

Messing around with Body Harvest...its actually not too bad. The graphics leave a little to be desired, but its got an interesting premise so far.

Peagles

I did send my first one back, awaiting a new one in a couple of days, but I fear it's the same. I've ordered a SNES PAL RGB-cable this time, instead of the GameCube RGB cable I used before, but if there's no difference I might try to fix it myself. Never done anything like this though.

It could possibly be the cable, so ask your modder what would be suitable. Maybe the cable you're using has some extra components or is missing some and that is making the picture too bright. In any case, it's not working right.

Caladrius

Various 3DS games do have anti-aliasing (some only turn them on in 2D mode), and an emulator would be able to add whatever more anti-aliasing it feels like.

I stand corrected.

Nothing out of the ordinary, AMD 7970, intel i7 2600k, runs pretty well.

Ah. My PC's only a bit weaker. Experimenting with double displays would be interesting...

I hit a yard sale up the street this morning and scored these for $2 each. I'm not an active N64 collector but they should make for some good NES and Gameboy trade bait.

If I had anything to exchange I'd love to snag them, but alas.

I've been looking for spare copies of Paper Mario to keep in reserve.

boyshine

It could possibly be the cable, so ask your modder what would be suitable. Maybe the cable you're using has some extra components or is missing some and that is making the picture too bright. In any case, it's not working right.

Got the new console, tested with the GameCube cable again.. same shitty picture.

Then took out the new SNES cable.. and voila. Colors were a bit 'strong', but after adjusting the TV settings, everything is as good as it can be now (I think).

N64 PAL RGB. Finally :)

elektrixx

Banned
There aren't any on my Aussie controllers, but they're shielding thingos. I think there's a chance you can have "undesired gameplay" if you leave a cable perfectly looped around things.

nkarafo

No idea. Its on all my controllers. I'm in the UK so maybe its a PAL thing.

imagez9zn9.jpg
I bought my PAL N64 (Greece) the first day it arrived in my Country. The packed in controller had a much rougher/uglier version of this, basically it was a piece of rubber wrapped around some shit on the cord. Later controllers had this nice, plastic wrap thankfully.

I also have no idea what this thing is supposed to be however.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I just had to say that I spent my summer building my N64 collection. I'm up to over 80 games now, and I have had an absolute blast playing these games. I've enjoyed it much more than my PS4/Xbox One this year. There are some amazingly underrated gems in this system's library.

BTails

Could anyone recommend a good (hopefully cheap-ish) S-Video cable for the N64? I'm not looking to jump into an RGB mod right now, but trying to stay away from composite.

Timu recommended the Monster cable in the "Upscaler" thread, but it's more expensive than a second-han first party cable!

I ask, because I'm worried about inproper-shielding, or the s-video connector acting as a pass-through for composite.

Teknoman

Could anyone recommend a good (hopefully cheap-ish) S-Video cable for the N64? I'm not looking to jump into an RGB mod right now, but trying to stay away from composite.

Timu recommended the Monster cable in the "Upscaler" thread, but it's more expensive than a second-han first party cable!

I ask, because I'm worried about inproper-shielding, or the s-video connector acting as a pass-through for composite.

I'd say buy one from Racketboy since you should be able to trust a place like that.

BTails

I'd say buy one from Racketboy since you should be able to trust a place like that.

Unfortunately their store shows no stock of anything currently, and according to the forums, the store is currently "on hiatus".

Thanks for the recommend though!

With games like Fighters Destiny and the WCW and WWF games, which are very good at fulfilling my competitive "fighter" needs on the N64, were there any other titles in the same vein that are worth picking up?

Smash bros. And Killer Instinct are the the only things that come to mind :/

Edit: http://www.racketboy.com/retro/nintendo/n64/the-n64-fighting-game-library

Flying Dragon looks pretty neat, might have to give that one a looksie.

Yeah the N64 really lacks traditional fighting games.

Was always curious about Rakugakids...

Edit: Lol at this artist rendering
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFRXiJrkHUo

PAL or NTSC?

Timu

May be the cheapest option.

With games like Fighters Destiny and the WCW and WWF games, which are very good at fulfilling my competitive "fighter" needs on the N64, were there any other titles in the same vein that are worth picking up?

Smash bros. And Killer Instinct are the the only things that come to mind :/

Edit: http://www.racketboy.com/retro/nintendo/n64/the-n64-fighting-game-library

Flying Dragon looks pretty neat, might have to give that one a looksie.

A lot of people dislike it but Mortal Kombat 4 was a solid fighter at the time IMO. Ran really smoothly too.

FaintDeftone

Question for you guys. I think I already know the answer but I want to confirm first.

When I was a kid, my aunt bought me a brand new copy of Jet Force Gemini for Christmas. I remember when I opened it up to play it, my save games would delete after a few minutes of powering the console off. I figured the save battery inside was bad and forgot about it. I didn't have the heart to tell my aunt that she bought me a defective game so I just kept it and tried to get as far as I could without saving.

Now, I know how to fix batteries in carts, so I popped the bad boy open and discovered the cart had a flash memory chip instead of a coin battery. Ah man, double screwed!

There is no way to repair this cartridge, correct?

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Mario Party 1 for $20? I'm there! Wonder why it's lower than the usual $30-40 prices I see it go for. The front looks normal...

(Permanent Marker on the back)

Oh... That bastard.

Luckily I managed to get rid of most of it. Plus all of the stuff was unlocked in the game already. I still hate people who do that to old cartridges though.

Ric Flair

Banned
Mario Party 1 for $20? I'm there! Wonder why it's lower than the usual $30-40 prices I see it go for. The front looks normal...

(Permanent Marker on the back)

Oh... That bastard.

Luckily I managed to get rid of most of it. Plus all of the stuff was unlocked in the game already. I still hate people who do that to old cartridges though.

Okay, I'm new to this collecting scene, but why the fuck is this? Mario Party 3 is like 40 bucks on the cheap end, is the thirst that real? Did the game sell that poorly?

baphomet

Okay, I'm new to this collecting scene, but why the fuck is this? Mario Party 3 is like 40 bucks on the cheap end, is the thirst that real? Did the game sell that poorly?

Has nothing to do with sales. Games that sold multiple millions will fetch upwards of $50 on n64. Just the way it is.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member

That's just how it is I'm afraid. The logic of "this game is popular so it should cost more" pretty much. Some Comic book store owner basically told me that when I asked why this Perfect Dark copy was so expensive compared to the others. I'm thankfully almost done with N64 games. I'm almost at my 64 goal. At 59 now thanks to Mario Party.

Any one of these will do I guess.

Mario Tennis
Mystical Ninja
Goemon's Great Adventure
Starcraft 64
Dr. Mario 64
Tetrisphere
Turok 3
Space Station: Silicon Valley
Rocket: Robot on Wheels
Forsaken 64

That's just how it is I'm afraid. The logic of "this game is popular so it should cost more" pretty much. Some Comic book store owner basically told me that when I asked why this Perfect Dark copy was so expensive compared to the others. I'm thankfully almost done with N64 games. I'm almost at my 64 goal. At 59 now thanks to Mario Party.

Any one of these will do I guess.

Mario Tennis
Mystical Ninja
Goemon's Great Adventure
Starcraft 64
Dr. Mario 64
Tetrisphere
Turok 3
Space Station: Silicon Valley
Rocket: Robot on Wheels
Forsaken 64
Hope you aren't collecting PAL games