• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I really am not a huge fan of this system anymore. I grew up with it. But....there realy isn't much it has to offer.

I'm more into the psx becuase I was never there growing up.

That's a shame, N64 is awesome. My fondest memories are from this system. Goldeneye, Smash, Pokemon Stadium, Mario Party, and Conker 4-players with my siblings were great. Watching my older brother play Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Star Fox, and Bomberman Hero. Those were the golden days.

The_Afroman

FYI Guys Ript Apparel riptapparel.com has a great Tee shirt for today only

F0Bd9tz.jpg

I have bought all the other ones so far (Game Boy, Genesis, NES, SNES)

Quoting for new page! Only today guys great shirt.

NR1

Where'd you buy the cases from? I've wanted to do that for a while now.

Media Shelving

Unfortunately, you can only buy a minimum of a carton of 100 cases for $59. Shipping from California to Texas was about $17, so that brought the cases to about $0.75 each for me. Thankfully, I got my buddy on board to divide the carton up. I only really needed 55 cases.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Media Shelving

Unfortunately, you can only buy a minimum of a carton of 100 cases for $59. Shipping from California to Texas was about $17, so that brought the cases to about $0.75 each for me. Thankfully, I got my buddy on board to divide the carton up. I only really needed 55 cases.

Are they as tall as a standard DVD case, or taller? I was think of doing some shelving and separating them just enough for a DVD case to fit, but if these are taller I may have to rethink that.

NR1

Are they as tall as a standard DVD case, or taller? I was think of doing some shelving and separating them just enough for a DVD case to fit, but if these are taller I may have to rethink that.

image-114.jpg

They are slightly shorter than DVD and slightly taller than blu-ray. You should have no issues. They are roughly the width of 2 DVD cases.

NR1's 64 collection, so good
icon_wub.gif

THANKS!

Speedwagon

image-114.jpg

They are slightly shorter than DVD and slightly taller than blu-ray. You should have no issues. They are roughly the width of 2 DVD cases.

Great! Thank you very much!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Where'd you buy the cases from? I've wanted to do that for a while now.

UGC's from Media Shelving are a pretty cheap option. Another option you might consider is waiting for StoneAgeGamer to finish up working on their BitBoxes for N64. They're definitely more expensive but the cases are higher quality.

televator

Yeah I'm holding off to see the new bit boxes. My nitpick about UGCs is that they don't technically acommodate manuals. BTW it was super smart of SAG to work with the Cover Project. Otherwise I never would have had any interest at all.

bronk

Banned
How is the quality? I always hear ript's fabric is awful.
I just got a shirt from them the other day. It was awful. It felt cheap. I ordered a large and it was way to small. Granted ive only got one shirt from them a black shirt but still it was terrible.i know places like teefury different colors fit differently from time to time.

LOVE LOVE LOVE these threads!!! Nintendo 64 is my favorite Nintendo console and favorite console of all time. I have a pretty big game collection -- around 120 games. I have most of the manuals for the games, but I only have maybe 6 boxes still. I considered buying a few of the boxes off Amazon, since I saw some places remake and re-sell them, but that would require more shelf space than I currently have. I have a few consoles, one mine, one my wife's and another for spare.

I would spend too long talking about my favorite games on the console.

EDIT:
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net...540/600765_10151437039692076_1964925793_n.jpg

An older picture of my N64 collection. I've doubled this since then. I need to take another picture.

Balb

I'm thinking of making labels for the top of my N64 cartridges to make it easier to pick out games at a glance. Anyone have experience doing this? Wanted to see if anyone could recommend a specific label maker or something of that sort that doesn't leave any bad residue.

oatmeal

Banned
So I bought a GameCube replacement stick for the N64 controller back in November last year.

It's amazing.

This year I wanted to upgrade another one...bought it on Amazon (different seller) and it was the jankiest piece of shit I've ever seen. Not the GameCube style. So I send it back.

Then I order from the guy that I ordered before, same listing on Amazon, says GameCube syle:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009MRZAUC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

"Redesigned to resemble Game Cube's joystick and durability"

Anyway, it comes the other day and it's the same BULLSHIT JANKY one.

Now I don't know what to do, I really want that GameCube one :(

-KRS-

Yeah it seems to be sort of a gamble. I've bought two such sticks on different occasions and one of them doesn't seem to register a full tilt to the upper left (for example in the Zelda games you start walking fast instead of running when tilting to the upper left) and sometimes pops out a bit, while the other one works perfectly.

Either way, these sticks aren't ideal since they're much more sensitive than the original sticks so things like precision aiming in Goldeneye is much harder to do. And according to folks in here it's because they're actually digital sticks and not true analog.

I'm thinking of making labels for the top of my N64 cartridges to make it easier to pick out games at a glance. Anyone have experience doing this? Wanted to see if anyone could recommend a specific label maker or something of that sort that doesn't leave any bad residue.

I've labelled mine with a simple paper printout fixed on with packing tape - good tape, not the cheapo kind. It's held for years, looks fine and still comes off and cleans up easily if you want.

SKINNER!

Banned
Not much luck with Bangai-o here.

However...

QIothPG.jpg

Damn near prestine condition and half price cheaper than another store that also had a boxed copy (Not to mention way cheaper than ebay too). Today was a good day.

SKINNER!

Banned
Nice! And good luck with Bangaioh, I hope you find it!

Cheers :) Surprisingly it was at the Super Potato. Thought I was initially ripped off (would've paid whatever for it anyway) but went into another smaller retro store next to a Akky tax free store and it was more expensive there so I was like "yes!". Gonna try and find other retro stores before I leave and see if I can find Bangai-o but I'll still be happy with picking up Sin & Punishment.

Chinbo37

Yeah it seems to be sort of a gamble. I've bought two such sticks on different occasions and one of them doesn't seem to register a full tilt to the upper left (for example in the Zelda games you start walking fast instead of running when tilting to the upper left) and sometimes pops out a bit, while the other one works perfectly.

Either way, these sticks aren't ideal since they're much more sensitive than the original sticks so things like precision aiming in Goldeneye is much harder to do. And according to folks in here it's because they're actually digital sticks and not true analog.

just get non transuclent scotch tape and write on it with sharpie.

Borman

Call me a Debbie Downer, but I can't help but notice it runs about as well as Doom on the Saturn does. (This isn't a compliment.)

Which is why it is still being worked on :p The guy doesnt have a flash card so he was working off emulation, which runs it much quicker.

driver116

Playing OOT on Project64 (own the cart in loft at home). I'm using the DS4 - and apart from an issue with the C buttons mapped to the right analog - it controls great. I'm in Jabu's belly at the moment - but can't wait for the Forest Temple and that haunting chanting music!

Playing OOT on Project64 (own the cart in loft at home). I'm using the DS4 - and apart from an issue with the C buttons mapped to the right analog - it controls great. I'm in Jabu's belly at the moment - but can't wait for the Forest Temple and that haunting chanting music!

I was playing OoT until recently like this:

iC6cgldVVv1FW.gif

Pretty insane what emulators can do, unfortunately I dont think I can go back after the 3DS version.

Jamix012

iC6cgldVVv1FW.gif

Pretty insane what emulators can do, unfortunately I dont think I can go back after the 3DS version.

Damn, someday I hope 3DS emulation will allow us to do this with OoT 3D. I guess it's OT, but I think a lot of 3DS games will look amazing at a higher res.

Caladrius

Has anyone ever managed to get Paper Mario to work properly (i.e. minimal flickering) on an emulator? I move in a month, so my Wii and N64 are going to be boxed up. I have several games, but that's the only one I have that won't cooperate. It's my favorite game to boot.

iC6cgldVVv1FW.gif

Dayum. Specs?

Damn, someday I hope 3DS emulation will allow us to do this with OoT 3D. I guess it's OT, but I think a lot of 3DS games will look amazing at a higher res.

3DS games don't have anti-aliasing, so it's a mixed bag.

one day 3DS emulation will reach triple screen tier, just wait

One can only hope, seeing other N64 in triple screen is really weird, some have weird issues but a lot work :p

Dayum. Specs?

Nothing out of the ordinary, AMD 7970, intel i7 2600k, runs pretty well.

alf717

Recently picked up a copy of Banjo Kazooie at a flea market for $5. My copy is pretty beat up but after some TLC cart and game chip are clean. Pretty fun game to.

kunonabi

Finished a bunch of n64 games last week including winback, shadowgate, and Goemon's Great Adventure. Winback was good but a touch too long. Shadowgate wasn't as bad people make it out to be but not amazing. Goemon was awesome though. A really great platformer that screams for a 3DS remake. my save data deleted itself right before the final save so I'm not going to bother with getting as all the passes though.

PooBone

Looking back at the library of games, it's hard to call this my favorite console ever, especially when compared to the Xbox360. But I remember that Christmas in 1996 going to a friend's house and falling in love with Mario 64. Got my own the following April. I remember playing Star Fox 64 with the rumble pack for the first time ever. I remember Zelda making the transition to 3d and blowing my fucking mind. Being able to see the sky in Hyrule running around on a horse. It was magical. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark I spent HOURS and HOURS playing either the campaign over and over or multiplayer with friends and family. I was 12 when we got an N64 so that was really the golden age of gaming for me.

So what's the best thing to do with a PAL (UK in particular) N64 to get it hooked up to a modern TV if RGB SCART apparently doesn't work?

Is it relatively easy to find S Video cables for N64? My HDTV from 2006 thankfully has a S-video socket...they don't seem to be on newer TVs these days.

I've yet to pick up a N64, deciding whether to get PAL or US NTSC. Any reason why I should get one over the other?

I don't think TV's come with S Video for the most part :/ I don't remember seeing a recent one with it at least.

And yeah, I can't justify the framemeister expense unfortunately :(

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Is it relatively easy to find S Video cables for N64?
It wasn't when I tracked one down earlier this year, but I was also stubborn and insisted on finding 1st party cables.

Keep in mind that Gamecube/SNES S-Video cables will also work on an N64. Doesn't matter what region they're from, either. (There are regional concerns when dealing with RGB cables, though.) Be wary of 3rd party cables that have composite and S-Video available on the same cable; I've heard that the S-Video connector on these tend to just carry composite quality video instead of the superior quality format that S-Video is supposed to deliver in the first place.

Cheers :) Surprisingly it was at the Super Potato. Thought I was initially ripped off (would've paid whatever for it anyway) but went into another smaller retro store next to a Akky tax free store and it was more expensive there so I was like "yes!". Gonna try and find other retro stores before I leave and see if I can find Bangai-o but I'll still be happy with picking up Sin & Punishment.

I get my boxed Bangai-O copy at Mandarake in Akiba in november, it was pretty much cheaper than Super Potato and the staff there allowed me to check the box first, not in Super Potato (they say just "no").

Top Bottom