• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

NIGHT-

So.. I want to get a Nintendo 64. It's been many years since I've owned one. What model/models should I look for? What price is a fair price on eBay now days?

I mainly want one for conker, mario 64, donkey Kong 64, and doom 64. I'll also try some other titles I've missed

Apath

Hoping someone here can answers this; a lot of recent threads have gotten me interested in this and I'm curious what people here think.

What is the cheapest way to emulate N64 on a TV that will support four bluetooth controllers (ideally PS3 and PS4 controllers)? I'm looking to get Mario Kart, Smash, and GoldenEye on my TV without having to deal with my old N64 and the controllers' limited length/wires all over the place.
So.. I want to get a Nintendo 64. It's been many years since I've owned one. What model/models should I look for? What price is a fair price on eBay now days?

I mainly want one for conker, mario 64, donkey Kong 64, and doom 64. I'll also try some other titles I've missed
If you live in Chicago I can give you one. Think we have two or three at my mom's place.

NIGHT-

Hoping someone here can answers this; a lot of recent threads have gotten me interested in this and I'm curious what people here think.

What is the cheapest way to emulate N64 on a TV that will support four bluetooth controllers (ideally PS3 and PS4 controllers)? I'm looking to get Mario Kart, Smash, and GoldenEye on my TV without having to deal with my old N64 and the controllers' limited length/wires all over the place.

If you live in Chicago I can give you one. Think we have two or three at my mom's place.

Would be nice :/. But I live in Arkansas lol

Coda

IMG_2509_zpsda34bbb4.jpg

My new Ice Blue Jap N64 with Gamecube controller adapter.

Sin & Punishment is def one of the best games of its genre.

Chastten

Banned

Been more and more in a retro gaming mood lately so I decided to give some stuff a steady place in my gaming room for now. Unfortunately it only fitted two out of the four boxes of N64/GB/GBC/GBA I have but it'll have to do for now.

It's a shame N64 prices have skyrocketed since there's still a couple of games I'd like to have boxed to get a 'complete' collection. :(

Moosehole

Finally decided to get an N64 again after wanting to for a long time. Feels good, man...

I'm not interested in finding games complete with boxes and manuals, as that begins to add up quick. I am making sure though that everything I buy is offical Nintendo and in great condition. Here's what I've got so far:

Original model N64 (US)
1 Grey Nintendo Controller
1 Jungle Green Nintendo Controller
Expansion Pak
Controller Pak
Super Mario 64
Paper Mario
Diddy Kong Racing
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Doom 64
Blast Corps
Wave Race 64
WCW/nWo World Tour
WCW/nWo Revenge
WWF Wrestlemania 2000
WWF No Mercy

I also bought two replacement joysticks for the controllers. I'm sure they've been mentioned in this thread but they are great.

Weiss

Banned
What are some good 3rd party titles for the console? I have both Goemon games, Body Harvest, and Turok 2, but everything else is Nintendo or Rare.

I grabbed a complete copy of Ogre Battle 64. I've heard good things and always wanted to try it. Was a little costly but it doesn't look like prices are gonna get any better anytime soon.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What are some good 3rd party titles for the console? I have both Goemon games, Body Harvest, and Turok 2, but everything else is Nintendo or Rare.

What genre? There are a ton of good third party games.

Congrats. This is probably my favorite game on the system!

Can't wait for it to arrive so I can give it a go. I've heard good things and have wanted to try it for a long time. Finally caved and grabbed a complete copy for $75 shipped. Seems to be a little less than the typical going rate for a good complete copy.

TheMoon

Resident Evil 2, Space Station Silicon Valley, Mischief Makers, Sin & Punishment, Beetle Adventure Racing, Rocket: Robot on Wheels, DOOM 64, Quake 64, NBA Hangtime (basically the NBA Jam for the N64), Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Extreme-G(2) if you're into future racers.

Rich!

So, I got into the beta for gliden64

Outputting onto a crt, this is literally no different to my rgb modded n64. Holy fuck.

Coda

Does anyone know a good modder to do an RGB mod for N64? Is it possible to do a component mod? I'm considering it but my CRT only has component as it's best input.

So, I got into the beta for gliden64

Outputting onto a crt, this is literally no different to my rgb modded n64. Holy fuck.

Which is nice but does it do anything about fixing rendering issues? Like sprites appearing through walls in Duke Nukem 64 and Doom 64's starting area being all messed up?

Rich!

Which is nice but does it do anything about fixing rendering issues? Like sprites appearing through walls in Duke Nukem 64 and Doom 64's starting area being all messed up?

That is exactly what it fixes. Thats the entire point of it - accurate graphics emulation.

Chinbo37

I got conkers a long time ago but never played it. Figure now is a good time to figure out n64 emuLation. Where do I start?

Resident Evil 2, Space Station Silicon Valley, Mischief Makers, Sin & Punishment, Beetle Adventure Racing, Rocket: Robot on Wheels, DOOM 64, Quake 64, NBA Hangtime (basically the NBA Jam for the N64), Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Extreme-G(2) if you're into future racers.

Bolded are Published by Nintendo

There are lots! Here are just a few: San Francisco Rush 2049 (my favorite third-party N64 game), Wipeout 64, all four Top Gear games (Rally first, then the others because all four are good), Hydro Thunder, Extreme-G 1 and 2, Turok 1, 3, and Rage Wars, Gauntlet Legends, San Francisco Rush, Mace: The Dark Age, Resident Evil 2, Shadow Man, NBA Hangtime, Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey (the first one), Cruis'n World and Exotica, WinBack, Rocket: Robot on Wheels, Doom 64, Rogue Squadron, Battle for Naboo, Beetle Adventure Racing, Bomberman 64 (Nintendo published in the US, but not originally in Japan), etc etc. One to consider if you like that kind of game (NOT for everyone) is Aidyn Chronicles.

Of course, buying third-party N64 games means also buying a pile of controller paks to save games on, because a majority of third-party games require them. I like the Performance ones (1x cards only, not the broken compressed 4x stuff!) because they have battery clips inside, so you can replace the battery with no soldering required.

NBA Hangtime and Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey, but no NFL Blitz? :(

I have NFL Blitz 2000, and it's so damn fun...and I don't even really like football. But I do love me some Midway Sports. They're the best.

Anyway, that's a pretty great list, besides the lack of NFL Blitz. :p

Oh, yeah, I just recently got a copy of San Francisco Rush 2049 from a local shop on the 4th of this month. It looks almost new.

They also had a few more boxed N64 games, but I can't remember which they were right now, but I think there might have been a FIFA or NHL game in there. I can't remember.

I wanted to get San Francisco Rush 2049 on Dreamcast after I had played the demo well over a decade ago, but for some reason, I never did. After I saw that N64 copy for a few bucks, I knew I had to get it. I don't mind the lower quality graphics since I don't have to sit through loading screens. Hah.

Peagles

Here's one for the techies. A mate of mine says his N64 keeps resetting. The button seems to be in good physical shape and not stuck so it's probably something going wrong internally. Anyone come across this before?

Here's one for the techies. A mate of mine says his N64 keeps resetting. The button seems to be in good physical shape and not stuck so it's probably something going wrong internally. Anyone come across this before?

A loose or dying power brick. My old N64 would reset sometimes when I was playing a game.

A loose or dying power brick. My old N64 would reset sometimes when I was playing a game.

I was having this issue when attempting to beat Beetle Adventure Racing.

All of a sudden, it was just reset out of nowhere... couldn't make sense of it.
Hasn't happened to me in any other game, though I don't play a whole lot of N64.

NBA Hangtime and Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey, but no NFL Blitz? :(

I have NFL Blitz 2000, and it's so damn fun...and I don't even really like football. But I do love me some Midway Sports. They're the best.

Anyway, that's a pretty great list, besides the lack of NFL Blitz. :p
I wasn't trying to list everything, just a bunch of good third-party games that I thought of. Sure, an NFL Blitz game is also a fine choice; I know a lot of people liked those games, the early games particularly. I never really played them myself, I dislike football too much to want to play football games... I think I played Blitz 2000 (the one I have) once. I guess it's kind of fun.

On the subject of Midway Sports, though, while the first Wayne Gretzky game is great fun, their other two N64 hockey games, Wayne Gretzky '98 and Olympic Hockey '98, aren't nearly as good. They made the games a bit more simmish, so scoring is a lot more difficult. They're a lot less fun than the first one (and are nearly identical to eachother, other than different teams in each version). Their other N64 basketball game, NBA Showtime, is good from what I've heard, but it's also on Dreamcast and has better graphics there, so I never have actually played the N64 version. Hangtime's probably best on N64, though (no load times, unlike PS1, and no need for a multitap for multiplayer!). Hangtime's under-rated, it's nearly as good as the NBA Jam games which precede it, and has nice 2d sprite character art too...

But yeah, most sports games aren't worth playing once they get older, but 5th-gen Midway Sports is definitely an exception to that! Great fun stuff, anytime.

Some other games I could have mentioned but didn't think of include Fighter's Destiny 1 and 2, Snowboard Kids 2 (1 is good too, but 2 is the same but better), BattleTanx: Global Assault (and maybe also the first game, BattleTanx), Big Mountain 2000 (I really like this one, though most don't seem to), Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness, Ogre Battle 64 if you count it (published by Nintendo in Japan, but not in the US), and Flying Dragon.

A couple more "maybe, if you like that kind of game" titles would include Armorines, Duke Nukem: Zero Hour, and California Speed. You can keep going -- stuff like Iggy's 'Recking Balls, Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, Robotron 64, Shadowgate 64, etc.

The N64 doesn't have a lot of interesting imports, but there are a few. Sin & Punishment (first-party published) and Bangaioh are of course the most famous ones, but a few more noteworthy ones include Bomberman 64 (it's entirely different from the US one -- it's a 2d-style Bomberman game, and also includes a complete (& 4 player) version of the puzzle game Panic Bomber on the cart as well.), SD Hiryu no Ken Densetsu (Flying Dragon 2, essentially), the rumble pak-supported re-release editions of Mario 64 and Wave Race 64, Susume! Taisen Puzzle Dama, Shiren the Wanderer 2 (for Mysterious Dungeon fans only), and (first-party., but worth mentioning!) the two Custom Robo games are fantastic as well; the GC and DS games are just as good and do have US releases, but the N64 games are also great! Also, Bomberman 64 [2]: The Second Attack, aka Baku Bomberman 2, is a LOT cheaper in Japan than the US. You'll miss out on the none-too-thrilling story, but it might be worth it because of how inflated the US version's price has gotten.

... Yeah, I really love the N64. :p

On another note, Rebel Assault... objectively that game is probably so bad, but I have so much nostalgia for it, I'll always like it anyway. :)

Oh, yeah, I just recently got a copy of San Francisco Rush 2049 from a local shop on the 4th of this month. It looks almost new.

They also had a few more boxed N64 games, but I can't remember which they were right now, but I think there might have been a FIFA or NHL game in there. I can't remember.

I wanted to get San Francisco Rush 2049 on Dreamcast after I had played the demo well over a decade ago, but for some reason, I never did. After I saw that N64 copy for a few bucks, I knew I had to get it. I don't mind the lower quality graphics since I don't have to sit through loading screens. Hah.
The main advantages of the Dreamcast version are higher-resolution graphics, higher resolution textures, some more lighting and reflection effects (projecting headlights, reflection of the car on the car select screen, a beam of light emanating out of the top of one building, maybe a few other minor things), maybe a better framerate (it's mostly fine on N64 though), and four player splitscreen in race mode as well as stunt and battle modes.

On the N64, there is one advantage over the DC: On N64 you can choose the two colors your car is painted in, for the two preset color zones on each vehicle. There are several dozen colors to choose from, so a fair amount of customization is possible. On Dreamcast, however, all you can do is choose from eight preset pairs of colors, which are the same for all vehicles; no customization is possible beyond that. It's a pretty disappointing downgrade, particularly when otherwise the DC is basically the same as the N64 game but slightly better. On N64 the game has two player only in race mode, but does support four in stunt and battle. The per-frame polygon counts are also pretty much the same between versions, apart from those missing effects; it's one of the best-looking N64 games for sure, in my book! I still mostly play the N64 version, even though I could play the game on Dreamcast or Gamecube (in the Midway Arcade Treasures 3 collection, which is also on PS2 and Xbox; it's a flawed port of the Dreamcast version, Expect worse loading times in MAT3 than Dreamcast, and more framerate problems as well. That's true for sure on Gamecube, at least.)

Picked up a CIB copy of Diddy Kong Racing from a local shop yesterday for $20. It's in pretty stellar shape. Haven't played it in years so I'm looking forward to having another boxed game for my shelf and another great game to play.

Just got my first N64 (in 2015 lol), and I'm looking for some advice.

1) I would like an S-Video cable. Any suggestions?

2) I believe I've seen "new" controllers. Are those actually new? If not, is finding a used controller and giving it a new stick the best way to go?

3) Game suggestions that aren't big names/overly expensive?

Just got my first N64 (in 2015 lol), and I'm looking for some advice.

1) I would like an S-Video cable. Any suggestions?

2) I believe I've seen "new" controllers. Are those actually new? If not, is finding a used controller and giving it a new stick the best way to go?

3) Game suggestions that aren't big names/overly expensive?
NTSC or PAL?

Weiss

Banned
Recently picked up Space Station Silicon Valley and Snowboard Kids 2, and going to get Rocket: Robot on Wheels soon enough.

2SeeKU

Anyone have their 64 plugged into a PC monitor? My TV is just too big (older games looks considerably bad on it) and is too far away from the lounge to be practical anymore.

I have a PAL console without the RGB mod. Any advice? Should l just bite the bullet and order a XRGB-mini framemeister?

Can anyone recommend a N64 Gamecube Controller Adapter (to use the NGC controller on the N64)? Can't really tell what I'm looking for.

Anyone have their 64 plugged into a PC monitor? My TV is just too big (older games looks considerably bad on it) and is too far away from the lounge to be practical anymore.

I have a PAL console without the RGB mod. Any advice? Should l just bite the bullet and order a XRGB-mini framemeister?

I have my N64 running to a framemeister (currently composite, soon Svideo. In future maybe RBG) and then to my PC monitor. I have absolutely no idea how you could get RGB to HDMI/DVI/VGA without major IQ issues without a proper upscaler.

Mzo

I have absolutely no idea how you could get RGB to HDMI/DVI/VGA without major IQ issues without a proper upscaler.

I thought that was like, the point of the framemeister.

EDIT: nevermind, I read it backwards somehow. You were saying the same thing!

Cess007

The other day i decided to finally stop being lazy and fix my N64 (had the reboot issue, all i need was some paper under the power connection) and turned on some good ol' Mario Tennis. Found myself playing for hours before i knew lol Anyway, i still need to hunt down some games of my old collection (World Cup 98, F-1 World Gran Prix and Starcraft 64)

BTW, is there a way to print the N64 cartridge covers? I have some games with the covers in bad conditions :(

Top Bottom