• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

There are some surprisingly nice Genesis ports like Ristar and Gunstar but I'd rather play the console originals.

I think that is the problem with many of the other games I can think of, that there are superior versions. Even the Sonic games, as Peagles just said, are just better on master system. Don't have to deal with the tiny screen space.

Guess this isn't really the thread for this talk though...

Peagles

I think that is the problem with many of the other games I can think of, that there are superior versions. Even the Sonic games, as Peagles just said, are just better on master system. Don't have to deal with the tiny screen space.

I really just buy GG games because I love the Japanese boxes and manuals. Neither of my GGs even turn on properly, I've got cap replacement kits ready to go though.

Back on topic, I really need to play through Sin and Punishment. Someone just offered me the cart for $35 but I already have it CIB.

I really just buy GG games because I love the Japanese boxes and manuals. Neither of my GGs even turn on properly, I've got cap replacement kits ready to go though.

Back on topic, I really need to play through Sin and Punishment. Someone just offered me the cart for $35 but I already have it CIB.

I wonder why S&P doesn't get more recognition. Both Treasure fans and Nintendo fans are really vocal, so you'd think it would be more popular amongst N64 discussion. I suppose its Japan-only release doomed it to obscurity though.

Yuterald

Okay, now I'm starting to get really worried with the lot/system I just bought. So, I popped in a copy of Goemon's Great Adventure that I had bought awhile back and it worked immediately. Of the 9 games I bought from this guy, one booted up immediately (Goldeneye). I just tried cleaning the rest and the q-tips definitely had noticeable black/brown shit on the end of the them. I let them sit for a minute or two and they still just give me that weird green-like fade/wash on my Trin. I don't know what to dooooo!?!

EDIT: So, I just tried another game that I bought awhile back and that game too is giving me the same shit as above, so maybe it's not the dude's games. Is it the fucking system them? I tried a different pair of AV cables and that too didn't seem to do the trick. I'm at a total loss here and I'm so not in the mood to spend the little time I have after work during the week to fuck around and google shit all night. Ugh.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
No kidding. JP Mega Drive has the same issue; no screws so you have to pry the shell open with a prying tool.
The label art is pasted over both halves of the cartridge, too, so opening it risks ruining the label.

Some day I want to open up my copy of MW4 and reflash it with the official translated version, but the whole process is such an ordeal.

Okay, now I'm starting to get really worried with the lot/system I just bought. So, I popped in a copy of Goemon's Great Adventure that I had bought awhile back and it worked immediately. Of the 9 games I bought from this guy, one booted up immediately (Goldeneye). I just tried cleaning the rest and the q-tips definitely had noticeable black/brown shit on the end of the them. I let them sit for a minute or two and they still just give me that weird green-like fade/wash on my Trin. I don't know what to dooooo!?!

EDIT: So, I just tried another game that I bought awhile back and that game too is giving me the same shit as above, so maybe it's not the dude's games. Is it the fucking system them? I tried a different pair of AV cables and that too didn't seem to do the trick. I'm at a total loss here and I'm so not in the mood to spend the little time I have after work during the week to fuck around and google shit all night. Ugh.
Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the slot inside the console with alcohol? I saw a method online somewhere you can use a credit card + coffee filter to do it.

I wonder why S&P doesn't get more recognition. Both Treasure fans and Nintendo fans are really vocal, so you'd think it would be more popular amongst N64 discussion. I suppose its Japan-only release doomed it to obscurity though.
I think that S&P is fairly well known among N64 fans. It's the REST of the Japan-only N64 library that is mostly obscure! Beyond the two Treasure games (S&P and Bangaioh), there are quite a few more Japan-only N64 games, but most people know nothing about most of them. Even some major titles which you'd think there would be information out there about, such as Shiren the Wanderer 2, have pretty much nothing, sadly. It makes playing that otherwise pretty good game pretty hard...

Beats the hell out of cleaning Famicom games though.
Yeah, I have some Famicom games, and how do you even take those things apart? Bandai carts, for example... no screws. How would you get it apart to, for instance, replace the battery in battery-backup games?

I don't know if there is a Game Gear collecting thread, though... unless the Master System thread can cover the GG too? That would kind of make sense, since they're basically the same thing.

How many really good Game Gear games are there though? Like the only one I can name off hand that I really loved to play was Tails Adventure.
There are some,. but the GG definitely has a subpar library considering its decent size. It's got so many bland, boring games...

My GG collection is so small so I have trouble naming some myself, but GG Shinobi 2 is a legit good game.

There are some surprisingly nice Genesis ports like Ristar and Gunstar but I'd rather play the console originals.
Gunstar Heroes and Ristar are absolutely both worth getting for the GG. I'd put them among the better GG games for sure. They're both similar to the console games, but not identical -- they are sort of new, Ristar more so than Gunstar Heroes. I particularly like GG Ristar's addition of a password save system, the Genesis game should have had saving too!

As for Shinobi, I only have the first one for GG. It should be good, but it's so obnoxiously hard that I can't get very far into it at all. The second one adds password save, which would have been great to have in the first game...

daydream

Banned
Some guy seems to have disbanded his N64 collection from what I saw in a local games store I frequent. Picked up a copy of Bomberman 64 in great condition.

I saw cartridges for Majora's Mask, Mario Party 2 and other good stuff (which I all own) as well as some boxed copies. The one with the biggest price tag was Conker's Bad Fur Day which I don't own but, well, let's just say I'm not planning to drop 199€ on it.

Yuterald

So, I think I had to accept and come to the realization that this shit's old. Looks like I'm going to have to embrace that maintenance mode you gotta adapt in order to appreciate and enjoy retro gaming. After a few emails I got the guy I originaly re-bought my N64 off of to send me another one. This one boots games more consistently, so I guess I'm good. I don't think there's anything wrong with the games, but they probably could use a thorough (taken apart) cleaning. Anyway, here's what I scored for $690 shipped!

9Xzyri8.jpg

(Cords and shit not shown). The dude sent me two (working) controllers, but they felt like shit, so I ordered this decent red one (not sure if it feels any better lol!). Unit already came with an expansion back, but I had to buy a memory card. So, a little over $700 to get a running start back in the N64 scene. All games are complete/boxed and in great condition (as I said, they probably need internal cleaning though).

...and here's the whole family now.

4MQLJlX.jpg

I sort of went on a shopping spree...I already owned a few games before re-buying the system, namely: Ogre Battle 64, Hybrid Heaven, Mischief Makers and Goemon's Great Adventure), but the rest I bought separately over the past week or so: (Doom 64, Wave Race 64, Tonic Trouble, Mystical Ninja 64, Bomberman 64, Blast Corps, Pilot Wings 64, and Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness). There's maybe like 20-30 (MAX) more games I'd like to add before calling it a library.

Been playing Goemon's Great Adventure again since I've gotten my system and I'm reminded that it's probably one of my favorite games of all time and easily my favorite N64 game. So fucking good.

televator

So, I think I had to accept and come to the realization that this shit's old. Looks like I'm going to have to embrace that maintenance mode you gotta adapt in order to appreciate and enjoy retro gaming. After a few emails I got the guy I originaly re-bought my N64 off of to send me another one.

What was wrong with the first one, exactly?

Yuterald

What was wrong with the first one, exactly?

I don't know exactly. Games just weren't consistently booting up. I'd flip the power switch on and on my Trinitron I'd get this green-like fade/wash on my screen and then it would ultimately fade-to-black. I figured it was the AV output on the unit, but I don't really know for sure. Did a little research online and it was hard to pinpoint what exactly could have been the problem.

Chastten

Banned
nearly 700 dollars for an N64 with 9 boxed games?! :O

I haven't been active in the retro scene for quite a long time, but that seems awfully expensive, no?

Yuterald

nearly 700 dollars for an N64 with 9 boxed games?! :O

I haven't been active in the retro scene for quite a long time, but that seems awfully expensive, no?

Well, how much did N64 games retail for initially? $60? Maybe more in some cases? $60 x 9 = $540. How much was the unit? $200? (I honestly don't remember, don't feel like looking it up). Already more than what I paid. Grant it, my game's aren't in Brand New condition (although they're like-new, complete, etc.) and my unit obviously is old and not boxed, but still. For me, it was like a convenience lot/pick-up. These games were games I would have liked to own again some day and I needed a system, so it made sense. I'm unsure if I would have saved money in the long run if I ordered this all individually (probably not due to shipping).

Also, I don't like to look at retro gaming/purchasing as "I'm not paying $50/60 for an old game!". A lot of these games are worth the price of a new game that you'd buy today (even more some in some regard). Not a fan of devaluing older games. What does bother me, obviously, is when inflation on shit gets out of control (like Bomberman 64: the Second Attack).

Yes, even with those high profile games.

Want to know what's crazy though? The guy originally wanted $800/$850 for this stuff. Had to talk/negotiate it down to what I got it for.

I was cleaning out my garage the other day and actually ran across my old 64. Found 4 controllers, Mario cart and ocarina of time. I was so shocked, hadn't seen it for 15 years maybe.

Peltz

I was cleaning out my garage the other day and actually ran across my old 64. Found 4 controllers, Mario cart and ocarina of time. I was so shocked, hadn't seen it for 15 years maybe.

Nothing better than reconnecting an old system you'd forgotten about. I had some serious nostalgia when I re-found the Virtual Boy I'd stashed away for a few years, and that wasn't even a good system.

Blarg

Neo Member
Has anyone found a decent USB controller? I have an adapter but wouldn't mind clearing out some cords/bulk, plus my original N64 controllers are on their last legs. Saw a couple on Amazon but they look pretty cheap/crappy.

televator

I don't know exactly. Games just weren't consistently booting up. I'd flip the power switch on and on my Trinitron I'd get this green-like fade/wash on my screen and then it would ultimately fade-to-black. I figured it was the AV output on the unit, but I don't really know for sure. Did a little research online and it was hard to pinpoint what exactly could have been the problem.

Sounds kinda like what a dirty cart would do... did you clean the carts and contacts inside the system?

Yuterald

Sounds kinda like what a dirty cart would do... did you clean the carts and contacts inside the system?

I cleaned the contacts of the games, but what's the best way to do it for the system? Also, how necessary do you think it is to take apart the games and clean them internally? Seems like an inevitable thing to do...

neoflcl

Yeah, that sounds like standard fare for my N64, too. For those with this problem, you just gotta clean the carts/console and be persistent, like others have said. Just keep removing/inserting the game before each power on and it should turn out.

Unlike other cartridge-based consoles where the cart slot can have a death grip on the games, I've noticed that the N64 (mine at least) holds the carts very loosey-goosey. Maybe that makes it tougher to establish good contact with the cartridge? (I have no idea if this is actually true lol)

I lent my N64 to my nephew a few years back and he fried the power brick immediately by plugging it into the wall without a voltage transformer. I should get a replacement power supply sometime, perhaps a 220v one so I won't need to use a transformer with it again.

Still have all my games complete with boxes, 4 controllers, rumble, memory pak, the lot.

televator

I cleaned the contacts of the games, but what's the best way to do it for the system? Also, how necessary do you think it is to take apart the games and clean them internally? Seems like an inevitable thing to do...

Thin white cloth doused in alcohol and wrapped on the edge of a credit card style card. Slide this combo in and out of the socket repeatedly. Works like a charm. Its necessary to dismantle games if you really want to and/or need to be sure your games don't have heavy corrosion. Either from prolonged exposure to moisture or from a dead battery.

Raptomex

I just finished up GoldenEye for the first time on 64. The actual 64. I'm not unfamiliar with Project 64 but this is one game I can never get to emulate correctly. So is there an ideal way to emulate this game?

- What version of Project 64? I currently use 1.6 and 1.7.
- What video plug-ins?
- What audio plug-ins?
- Anything else?

I have an N64 usb adapter and it works great so I can play all my 64 games with a 64 controller. I downloaded Rice's video plugin last night and that seemed to make GoldenEye run better than I ever had it run. It was relatively smooth. Sometimes the music was choppy but it was better than I had it running before.

So, I think I had to accept and come to the realization that this shit's old. Looks like I'm going to have to embrace that maintenance mode you gotta adapt in order to appreciate and enjoy retro gaming. After a few emails I got the guy I originaly re-bought my N64 off of to send me another one. This one boots games more consistently, so I guess I'm good. I don't think there's anything wrong with the games, but they probably could use a thorough (taken apart) cleaning. Anyway, here's what I scored for $690 shipped!

9Xzyri8.jpg

(Cords and shit not shown). The dude sent me two (working) controllers, but they felt like shit, so I ordered this decent red one (not sure if it feels any better lol!). Unit already came with an expansion back, but I had to buy a memory card. So, a little over $700 to get a running start back in the N64 scene. All games are complete/boxed and in great condition (as I said, they probably need internal cleaning though).

...and here's the whole family now.

4MQLJlX.jpg

I sort of went on a shopping spree...I already owned a few games before re-buying the system, namely: Ogre Battle 64, Hybrid Heaven, Mischief Makers and Goemon's Great Adventure), but the rest I bought separately over the past week or so: (Doom 64, Wave Race 64, Tonic Trouble, Mystical Ninja 64, Bomberman 64, Blast Corps, Pilot Wings 64, and Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness). There's maybe like 20-30 (MAX) more games I'd like to add before calling it a library.

Been playing Goemon's Great Adventure again since I've gotten my system and I'm reminded that it's probably one of my favorite games of all time and easily my favorite N64 game. So fucking good.

Meeooyeeouch! To your credit, the games appear to be in great condition, complete, I assume... But dayaum.. 700 dollars! Does not compute!

Hope there's still money for Tiny Tim's Christmas present.

Mzo

Yeah, definitely outrageous pricing.

In my mind old video games, haggling, patience, and getting the best deal possible are inextricably linked. The few times I've had to pay more than I wanted for something because it's actually for reals rare and is part of a series or made by a developer that I love have gone down so bitter.

Peltz

By the way, I don't know if I've ever posted this, but I fairly recently was given a Jungle Green N64 with matching controller and a few games... all duplicates for me though.

I have no use for the console (I already have an RGB-modded system) or the games (again, all duplicates) but my goodness is this controller pristine. I haven't felt an N64 joystick this tight since the 90s. The girl who gave it to me (a law school friend who had it sitting in her attic) said the controller was never even used because she preferred some crappy 3rd party controller her parents bought for her small hands (and which I immediately discarded).

This controller is so amazing I almost don't even want to use it. It's a shame that no other N64 controller I've used in recent memory feels this way anymore. I'd be willing to pay some serious $$$ for another three controllers that felt this good. It feels like the deadzone is non-existent or so small that it's totally imperceptible. The slightlest tilt of the stick registers, and there's no wobble at the neutral position. Is there anyone out there who can restore controllers to feel this way without resorting to 3rd party parts?

Bar81

Yeah, definitely outrageous pricing.

In my mind old video games, haggling, patience, and getting the best deal possible are inextricably linked. The few times I've had to pay more than I wanted for something because it's actually for reals rare and is part of a series or made by a developer that I love have gone down so bitter.

Depending on condition, that can be the case or not the case. The better the condition, the less chance there is to haggle and get good deals.

Yuterald

Thin white cloth doused in alcohol and wrapped on the edge of a credit card style card. Slide this combo in and out of the socket repeatedly. Works like a charm. Its necessary to dismantle games if you really want to and/or need to be sure your games don't have heavy corrosion. Either from prolonged exposure to moisture or from a dead battery.

Will do. Thanks!

goldenpp72

Been doing some light touching up on my N64 collection of nearly 100 titles, after these I have around 8 more to find before I put the final nail in my collecting on this system, but I figured i'd share since it was a big haul.

Last ones might be a bit tricky to find but they aren't expensive thankfully.

Coda

Super excited to own a N64 again but really only for a few favorites. I just picked up an Ice Blue Japanese N64 because it's so beautiful looking. Got the Gamecube controller adapter too because Gamecube controllers are the shit.

Also picked up a few games:

Yuke Yuke! Trouble Makers (Mischief Makers)
Sin & Punishment
F-Zero X

I'm really curious about this HDMI mod coming out hopefully soon. The N64's native output is basically trash unless it's RGB. I'd at least suffice for a component cable but you had to mod it to enable that too.

PooBone

Just played Star Fox 64 for the first time in ten plus years. Beat the game (Took the top route to start, went middle after Aquos, with a detour around the sun) with zero lives lost and zero bombs used. Fantastic game. I got an original Rumble Pak and some AAA batteries for it too.

To join this and Mario 64, the next game on my shopping list is Goldeneye.

Peltz

Just played Star Fox 64 for the first time in ten plus years. Beat the game (Took the top route to start, went middle after Aquos, with a detour around the sun) with zero lives lost and zero bombs used. Fantastic game. I got an original Rumble Pak and some AAA batteries for it too.

To join this and Mario 64, the next game on my shopping list is Goldeneye.

Score report on your SF64 run?

Found a gray variant of Turok Rage Wars at a local store for $5.99 while getting some last minute gifts. Merry Christmas to me!

Hope you guys wake up to some nice retro goodies tomorrow. :)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Never thought of this. Trying it soon.

televator

Never thought of this. Trying it soon.

I also forgot to add that it's surprising how much hair and lint can get caught up in cart slots. Blowing them out with strong air blast from a can-o-air or compressor before doing the cloth and card trick is a must IMO.

Coda

mischiefmakersandizza_zpsf35e75ec.jpg

Picked up my favorite game for the N64. It's complete but a little rough in terms of condition. But Japanese box art always for the win.

Seik

Banned
Been doing some light touching up on my N64 collection of nearly 100 titles, after these I have around 8 more to find before I put the final nail in my collecting on this system, but I figured i'd share since it was a big haul.

Last ones might be a bit tricky to find but they aren't expensive thankfully.

I want to see a photo of that completed collection once you'll be done with it! :D

Mine hasn't really changed since I added my pics in the OP, and that's a long time ago already, I lack inspiration I guess...there's a complete US Ogre Battle that could be nice, but those are going for insane prices.

I have good memories of playing both Chameleon Twist games back then when they came out...maybe I should check out for those..

So a friend I've had since childhood is moving house at the moment, and cleaning up the place, getting rid of unneeded junk and stuff. He called me today and said he had something for me, got there and he gave me his entire N64 collection. So chuffed :D

qp9Q7n7.jpg

Awesome selection of games there!

I'm thinking of doing 15 games in 2015 and adding an n64 game or two in there. Any suggestions outside of the obvious major releases? Doom 64 is on the shortlist at the moment since I'm going through a bit of a sprite based FPS kick.

Timu

So a friend I've had since childhood is moving house at the moment, and cleaning up the place, getting rid of unneeded junk and stuff. He called me today and said he had something for me, got there and he gave me his entire N64 collection. So chuffed :D

qp9Q7n7.jpg
What a haul!!!

I see a SNES game :D

Haha yes, Mario All Stars was hiding in the big box-o-carts too :D

Having fun with it, testing out games ot see if they work and such. Gave the good controller a good cleaning (had something sticky in the buttons) and now it's good as new, except for the stick. It's not perfect, but it's the best condition N64 analog stick I've seen in a long time!

A few questions since I've never really been in the N64 collecting loop, is there any somewhat easy way to improve output from this console? I've seen some RGB mods, I assume that's pretty much my only option apart from S-Video (I don't have any S-Video capable TVs sadly).

Also, I remember a while ago seeing replacement analog sticks, but people were wary because they had weird dead zones that made some games hard to play. Are there recommended replacement sticks around, or even recommended third party controllers that aren't garbage these days?

Top Bottom