• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

I thought about going on a collecting spree soon and picking up an N64 and GameCube (again). I swear everytime I get ahold of these things, I always end up getting rid of them for whatever reason.

Well, no more of that. Anyway, those universal game cases for NES/SNES/N64...they do look really nice and tempting.

But are there any versions of them that can hold the original manuals? That would be nice.

I thought about going on a collecting spree soon and picking up an N64 and GameCube (again). I swear everytime I get ahold of these things, I always end up getting rid of them for whatever reason.

Well, no more of that. Anyway, those universal game cases for NES/SNES/N64...they do look really nice and tempting.

But are there any versions of them that can hold the original manuals? That would be nice.

I wonder if bit boxes will ever tackle n64. Their NES and SNES cases came highly recommended and are capable of holding manuals as well.

Soup Bar

I love to piss my friends off with this console. They just don't understand there's a charm to the blurry mess some N64 games look like. I wish Smash wasn't so expensive... Want to play Smash 4? TOO BAD.

grkazan12

This seems like the best place to ask since I've been trying to check out some of my own games on PC.

What's currently the best n64 emulator?

Filben

Yesterday my svideo cable and today Wave Race 64 came in!!!
That's cool :)

I've got Rayman 2 today http://imgur.com/SnYnrhF

But I still have to figure out how to feed my TV with an s-video signal (it has no s-video input, just composite and RGB/scart) while also splitting and grabbing the s-video signal simultaneous to my capture device... :/

What's currently the best n64 emulator?
I guess it's the Project64. But I'm no emulator fan so I don't know if my opinion on that one is worth much.

Mzo

But I still have to figure out how to feed my TV with an s-video signal (it has no s-video input, just composite and RGB/scart) while also splitting and grabbing the s-video signal simultaneous to my capture device... :/

This works well, for the splitting at least. It's what I use on my setup.

-KRS-

A lot of (all?) TVs with RGB Scart inputs can use one of those Composite/S-video -> Scart adapters to display an S-video signal through the Scart input. Keep in mind though that the PAL N64 (I assume you have that since you have a TV with Scart) needs a special S-video cable made specifically for the PAL N64, otherwise the picture will be washed out.

Filben

A lot of (all?) TVs with RGB Scart inputs can use one of those Composite/S-video -> Scart adapters to display an S-video signal through the Scart input. Keep in mind though that the PAL N64 (I assume you have that since you have a TV with Scart) needs a special S-video cable made specifically for the PAL N64, otherwise the picture will be washed out.
Thanks for the heads up!

illadelph

Given the weather I've been messing with 1080 for the very first time. Really awesome and intense game, dope soundtrack too. I really wish a new 1080 and Wave Race would come out...

Filben

Really awesome and intense game, dope soundtrack too.
I just youtubed the soundtrack. It is pretty cool :D I remember I borrowed it once. Maybe I should get it again. Permanently. I still have one or two things on my to-buy list.

Oh, and screw that s-video plan. I just ordered a french N64 modell with RGB support. Should arrive earlier the next week. So excited to try out my games with that badass.

Dreamcast games don't have enough grime.
Hahaha, at least they didn't screw the gamers over like with the PS1 version. Or screwed around with the original content like in Rayman Revolution. And the PC-version lacks of proper controller support. No vibration/rumble and odd control scheme. Yep, N64/DC version is the definitive edition of Rayman 2.

daydream

Banned
They weren't super high on my priority list but I saw both Castlevania games in excellent condition in a games store today so I had to take them with me. 32€ for both seemed like a good deal, Legacy of Darkness goes for ~30 on eBay.

Bar81

They weren't super high on my priority list but I saw both Castlevania games in excellent condition in a games store today so I had to take them with me. 32€ for both seemed like a good deal, Legacy of Darkness goes for ~30 on eBay.

They're not particularly good but if you have any interest that seems to be a nice price to check them out (and keep them if you like them).

daydream

Banned
They're not particularly good but if you have any interest that seems to be a nice price to check them out (and keep them if you like them).

I mean, as a collector, I do like to focus on quality titles..

..but I can't deny that a) games from important franchises, regardless of quality and b) infamous trainwrecks (looking at you, Superman) also have their place in my collection.

Celine

Still my favorite console ever. I love it.

It sounds crazy, but I wish games were still made for it :(
Seems homebrew games for PCE,MD and SNES are on the raise (even Neo Geo).
So in a few years a think PS1, N64 and maybe Saturn are going to experience a rise in interest too.

BTails

..but I can't deny that a) games from important franchises, regardless of quality and b) infamous trainwrecks (looking at you, Superman) also have their place in my collection.

I jumped on both when I came across them for a similar price ($40 CAD for both) and definitely didn't regret it. I had a blast playing through the first one, which is the supposed "worst" of the two.

Still haven't played LoD, but it's waiting for me when I feel like playing N64 again!

Seems homebrew games for PCE,MD and SNES are on the raise (even Neo Geo).
So in a few years a think PS1, N64 and maybe Saturn are going to experience a rise in interest too.

The problem with PS1 or Saturn is that you can't just burn a game on a disc and sell it to people, those systems need mod chips to play burned discs... but N64 should be possible, its lockout chip has been figured out yes?

Systems which need hard mods to play imports aren't ever going to be popular physical homebrew release platforms, I think. (However, I do find it a little surprising that there are so few homebrew games for the 3DO. It plays CD-Rs, but there are like no homebrew games for the thing...)

Mzo

The N64 Castlevanias get shit on a lot but they're interesting and definitely worth owning.

daydream

Banned
I jumped on both when I came across them for a similar price ($40 CAD for both) and definitely didn't regret it. I had a blast playing through the first one, which is the supposed "worst" of the two.

Still haven't played LoD, but it's waiting for me when I feel like playing N64 again!

The N64 Castlevanias get shit on a lot but they're interesting and definitely worth owning.

I should clarify that I have played the games before and I agree that they're interesting, at the very least. I remember liking 64 over LoD.

Fun fact: Both games have trouble recognising my controller pak (they detect an "abnormality") and the internet is full of people having the same problem with these games. I can't imagine why, surely two games can't be pickier than all the other(s) when it comes to contact sensitivity or whatever.

Bar81

The Japanese rumble edition of Wave Race 64 is so amazing. Worth the pick up if you want to bring your Wave Race to the next level.

Shindou Wave Race really takes the game to another level. I heard they incorporated the rumble into later US copies but there is no indication so the only way you can find out is to play the actual cart.

SmZA

My japanese N64 - console only - is on its way, and I've ordered a local PSU and composite cable.

I haven't sorted out a controller yet. Should I try for a good condition original one or are there any clones that are just as good?

Has anyone had experience with Gamecube adapters? I was never a Nintendo kid and have no nostalgia for the N64 controller, I just want something that works reliably.

Thanks!

The thing with N64 controllers is that the buttons don't map well to a more standard controller for most games since there's 6 face buttons and games do tend to use the c-buttons for various things.

Coda

My japanese N64 - console only - is on its way, and I've ordered a local PSU and composite cable.

I haven't sorted out a controller yet. Should I try for a good condition original one or are there any clones that are just as good?

Has anyone had experience with Gamecube adapters? I was never a Nintendo kid and have no nostalgia for the N64 controller, I just want something that works reliably.

Thanks!

I have that adapter. Works great and his website has a great interface for making custom mapping codes which I used to make a custom layout for Sin & Punishment. It's feels great playing N64 games with a Gamecube controller.

If you really didn't want a default n64 pad you could grab a Hori Mini Pad:

Nintendo%20N64%20Hori%20MiniPad%20Black%20Controller%2001%20copy.jpg

FSLink

Banned
I have that adapter. Works great and his website has a great interface for making custom mapping codes which I used to make a custom layout for Sin & Punishment. It's feels great playing N64 games with a Gamecube controller.

I can also vouch for the greatness of the adapter.

I use it in Smash 64 and it feels great. Pretty nice to be able to map taunt to D-Pad.

ALM5252

So I finally got a copy of Conkers Bad Fur Day from Craigslist (a week old really). My girlfriend actually managed to find it. It's in great condition and even came with the manual and those N64 cases! :D

Paid $70. But was practically free since I sold a Wii for $40 and an OG Xbox for $30 the week before. :)

Also these are my two other Custom Painted N64s. I need to redo them though, and paint the black one White for me personally. Ha

Shindou Wave Race really takes the game to another level. I heard they incorporated the rumble into later US copies but there is no indication so the only way you can find out is to play the actual cart.

Yeah, I got the Rumble Pak editions of both Mario 64 and Wave Race 64, the two games re-released with added rumble support, last year. Wave Race 64 with rumble is definitely better, it was an awesome addition and we should have gotten this version here. Mario 64... it's a little better, but doesn't add quite as much as it does to Wave Race. Still cool, though. It does make the game harder though, the Star names are now in Japanese...

SmZA

I picked this up today:

iQMjU760uLhTV.JPG

I'll post on its performance once my console arrives.

Thanks, I'll check this out also.

Bar81

Yeah, I got the Rumble Pak editions of both Mario 64 and Wave Race 64, the two games re-released with added rumble support, last year. Wave Race 64 with rumble is definitely better, it was an awesome addition and we should have gotten this version here. Mario 64... it's a little better, but doesn't add quite as much as it does to Wave Race. Still cool, though. It does make the game harder though, the Star names are now in Japanese...

I had the Mario one but sold it - you don't realize how many butt stomps you make until your controller is rumbling every three seconds or so - I found it distracting.

d58e7

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I'm trying to find a good quality replacement for the analog stick. I purchased one closer to the one in the gamecube controller and it's way too sensitive. It's really tough to play mario or waverace with it.

I don't know if there are legit replacement sticks out there. About 5 years ago I managed to buy a brand new N64 controller off Play-Asia but I don't know if that's happened since. Could be an idea just to check there every now and again.

AaronMT86

This thread has made me regret tossing out all the boxes and original N64 box from way back. I store all my cartridges in a tupper-ware bin heh.

I just played some DK64 again, and that game is still so, SO incredibly good! It's always been one of my favorite 3d platformers, and is the only 3d platformer I ever collected all of the Mario 64 star-style collectables in (that is, I got 101% in DK64, and have not done that in any other 3d platformer), but it'd been a while since I played it. And yes, it's still exceptional. Amazing graphics, amazing music, fantastic controls, so much variety, outstanding level designs, it's got it all. It rewards exploration better than most games; when I see those items for other characters it makes me want to go there with them and get them, I don't mind the 5 characters thing one bit. T he game doesn't have Banjo-Tooie or Conker's framerate issues, either; it's mostly quite stable. I've always wished that those games supported the Expansion Pak, maybe it could have helped, not that either one is as good as DK64 is, they aren't in my opinion. I love DK64 a lot, it's easily one of the best 3d platformers ever, and it's one of Rare's best N64 games too; really, it has to be either DK64 or Blast Corps, no question. Perfect Dark is great too, but it's 'only' a FPS, I like 3d platformers more. DK64 is an incredible game and its critics are totally wrong. :)

For negatives, really the only one is the camera, which is not always great. You can hit R to center it behind you, but sometimes it can be trouble. That's true in most 3d platformers, though, so you get used to it.

Oh, and my favorite 3d platformers ever would be Super Mario 64, Rayman 2 (I have this for PC and DC, never actually played the N64 version), Donkey Kong 64, Super Mario Galaxy, and I'm not sure what for #5. Lots of choices, choosing the last game for a top list is always really hard for me... Mario Galaxy 2? Banjo-Kazooie? Something else, such as Jak & Daxter, Maximo: Ghosts to Glory, or something? Something I like a lot even if it probably isn't objectively top 5 material, ie, Croc: Legend of the Gobbos? I don't know. It's too bad that after the N64 the 3d platformer genre took a bit of a downturn that it never recovered from... Rare's absence in the genre really was not replaced. I've been disappointed for a long time that the Donkey Kong series never again attempted something remotely like it, the series peaked in the '90s and hasn't recovered from losing Rare. Retro's two DKCR games are awesome, but I want a 3d platformer too!

I got a new (for me) N64 3d platformer a few days ago, Gex 3. It's actually okay; I like it a bit more than I thought I would. It's not great, but it's fun enough if you like this kind of thing as I do. The graphics are only average, though, and obviously originated on the Playstation, and the controls are digital and not analog -- that is, you can only move in a few preset directions and don't have 360 degree movement, and you don't have speed control either. Yeah you use the analog stick, but it's not the Mario 64 style control you expect from an N64 3d platformer. But still, it's more fun than I remember Gex 2 on the PS1 being, so there is that.

This thread has made me regret tossing out all the boxes and original N64 box from way back. I store all my cartridges in a tupper-ware bin heh.

I did as well, then again I was ~7 years old, didn't really care for boxes at that age. Just wanted to play the games.

No ragrets.

So I finally got a copy of Conkers Bad Fur Day from Craigslist (a week old really). My girlfriend actually managed to find it. It's in great condition and even came with the manual and those N64 cases! :D

Paid $70. But was practically free since I sold a Wii for $40 and an OG Xbox for $30 the week before. :)

Also these are my two other Custom Painted N64s. I need to redo them though, and paint the black one White for me personally. Ha

You're kidding me? CBFD is worth money? I have a boxed version sitting in my house.

Peltz

I guess it's the Project64. But I'm no emulator fan so I don't know if my opinion on that one is worth much.

Get your N64 modded for SCART output. Baphomet does great work from what I hear.

Top Bottom