• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

The only Everdrive I have is for Game Boy. They make a lot of sense for portables. With consoles it's not too much of a hassle for me to manually swap carts, but I can definitely see the appeal.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The only Everdrive I have is for Game Boy. They make a lot of sense for portables. With consoles it's not too much of a hassle for me to manually swap carts, but I can definitely see the appeal.

I'm worried about how the unit would work with certain games. If it's got near 100% compatibility, I'd be very interested.

I don't have the 10th Anniversary Fast choice on mine.

This is what I have:

Also, I was trying Blast Corps earlier. Game runs great, but you can't see your dude when you get out of a vehicle. I also noticed that a few textures were missing (like the N64 boot logo). Banjo Kazooie also gives me some weird boot textures.

N64 emulation is so frustrating. I want to own ALL of these games, but the cost of entry is just insane anymore.

Are N64 repros a thing?

I cannot see your pic.

Anyway, i just tried it on my phone and Blast Corps runs great. I can see the human character just fine, as well as the "You're just trying to impress me" chic on the tv screen that pops on the left upper corner. I use Glide64 Accurate plugin (that means 0 frameskip and the best quality) and i can get 25-30fps on my relic phone.

Here's my game with android snaptool:
http://imgur.com/a/aOKpK
bzLMi3j.png

UVBcdWH.png

Banjo Kazooie also runs very well, i get 35-50+fps.

Are you sure you are using the correct version of Mupen64 plus AE? I mean the ones from here and NOT the obsolete playstore versions. Also, make sure to use the settings i posted previously, in order to get the best performance.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I cannot see your pic.

Anyway, i just tried it on my phone and Blast Corps runs great. I can see the human character just fine, as well as the "You're just trying to impress me" chic on the tv screen that pops on the left upper corner. I use Glide64 Accurate plugin (that means 0 frameskip and the best quality) and i can get 25-30fps on my relic phone.

Here's my game with android snaptool:
http://imgur.com/a/aOKpK
bzLMi3j.png

UVBcdWH.png

Banjo Kazooie also runs very well, i get 35-50+fps.

Are you sure you are using the correct version of Mupen64 plus AE? I mean the ones from here and NOT the obsolete playstore versions. Also, make sure to use the settings i posted previously, in order to get the best performance.

I actually got it to work. However, when I get into the Thunderfist and use his 'A' ability, my game comes to a complete CRAWL. No idea what's going on with that.

I actually got it to work. However, when I get into the Thunderfist and use his 'A' ability, my game comes to a complete CRAWL. No idea what's going on with that.

Ahh yes, the dreaded blur issue. This also happens in Perfect Dark when you are drugged or punched and your vision becomes blurry. In Blast Corps, this happens with Thunderfist's rolling.
The Glide64 plug in is very resource intensive in thosr instances.

Solution is that whenever you hop onto a Thunderfist, go to the game's settings of mupen64 (by swipping the left of the screen) and use the GlideN64-Accurate plugin that removes the blur.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ahh yes, the dreaded blur issue. This also happens in Perfect Dark when you are drugged or punched and your vision becomes blurry. In Blast Corps, this happens with Thunderfist's rolling.
The Glide64 plug in is very resource intensive in thosr instances.

Solution is that whenever you hop onto a Thunderfist, go to the game's settings of mupen64 (by swipping the left of the screen) and use the GlideN64-Accurate plugin that removes the blur.

Ah - cheers. I'll give that a go!

spyduh

Neo Member
Fired up Wave Race 64 again last night, even after all these years the physics with the water and waves is amazing IMO. Do any other games capture Jet Ski racing like this?

So fun even after all this time.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
My life in gaming will release their video on N64 RGB tomorrow, looking forward to that, their previous videos have been pretty decent.

entremet

My life in gaming will release their video on N64 RGB tomorrow, looking forward to that, their previous videos have been pretty decent.

They said it was there most taxing videos.

They worked hard on it.

It's 20 minutes! But you know they worked a long on it since they production is super high quality.

Peltz

As I posted in the Upscale thread, this is definitely looking like a game changer. The mini does a poor job at handling N64's blur filter so it would be nice to bypass needing an external scaler altogether.

I will still play RGB-modded N64 on my CRT, but I think I'll also get another one of my N64's future-proofed with this new mod.

Also, even though they are slightly stiff, I really like the videos these guys put out. They actually know their stuff.

IrishNinja

i mean, i can see the difference but at this point i'd almost rather wait on emulation or something if stock RGB is that hideous for you

you're not gonna improve the atrocious framerate etc

Wow that de-blur setting really is witchcraft.

Do we know how easy the mod is looking to be to install?
Oh, looks like he's basically just selling to modders and such, as opposed to selling himself. Maybe I'll hunt for a mod. Or just finally get around to modding mine for RGB. And say fuck it since i don't actually play my N64.

decisions...

Peltz

i mean, i can see the difference but at this point i'd almost rather wait on emulation or something if stock RGB is that hideous for you

you're not gonna improve the atrocious framerate etc

Stock RGB is hideous to me on a fixed pixel display via the Framemeister. But it looks perfect to me on a PVM..... or rather, it looks like N64 is supposed to look in my opinion.

In contrast, Framemeister stuggles so much with N64's blur filter. It tries to make a crisp image but the result is so heinous when resolving that filter.

Lynd7

Stock RGB is hideous to me on a fixed pixel display via the Framemeister. But it looks perfect to me on a PVM..... or rather, it looks like N64 is supposed to look in my opinion.

In contrast, Framemeister stuggles so much with N64's blur filter. It tries to make a crisp image but the result is so heinous when resolving that filter.

Do you use scanlines? When my friend got an XRGB we fiddled around for awhile and ended up thinking it looked a lot better with the scanlines on.

Can't wait for this HDMI board, definitely want to get it.

Really don't have an issue with how the N64 looks via my mini, via SVideo. That said, I've already accepted that N64 games are hideous in general.

Peltz

Do you use scanlines? When my friend got an XRGB we fiddled around for awhile and ended up thinking it looked a lot better with the scanlines on.

Can't wait for this HDMI board, definitely want to get it.

Yea... I'm a scanline-guy for sure.

IrishNinja

huh...yeah, N64 even RGB/XRGB'd doesnt look fantastic. ill try it out on my PVM tonight & see how drastic the difference is for me

Morfeo

The RGB205-video was amazing as always, definitely need to look into getting that Ultrahdmi when its available.

televator

I suspect that even regardless of the defilter option, N64 HDMI mod will look nicer than the Framemeister. I'm not expert on what components are used in the N64, but any less than ideal DAC that mucks up the analog IQ out of the N64 would be bypassed. Audio too for that matter.

SKINNER!

Banned
Are we allowed to discuss about flash carts here? I'm thinking of picking one up for Christmas but I'm confused as to which one to get.
If it's bannable then I'll drop the subject :)

televator

Are we allowed to discuss about flash carts here? I'm thinking of picking one up for Christmas but I'm confused as to which one to get.
If it's bannable then I'll drop the subject :)

The retro threads are a good home for flash cart talk. No shame in them. The EverDrives are the most popular right now and are probably the most user and consumer friendly... Though I strongly recommend buying from a well established reseller so as to get the best customer service and quickest technical assistance. StoneAge Gamer if you are in the USA and maybe Canada, for example.

SKINNER!

Banned
The retro threads are a good home for flash cart talk. No shame in them. The EverDrives are the most popular right now and are probably the most user and consumer friendly... Though I strongly recommend buying from a well established reseller so as to get the best customer service and quickest technical assistance. StoneAge Gamer if you are in the USA and maybe Canada, for example.

If only there are sellers in the UK selling them at decent prices. I noticed the everdrive 64 is around $129 and it's going for £129 from uk stores :( Decided to save up for one or keep an eye out on ebay for a cheaper older version of it. That Chinese clone ED64 plus is tempting but I figured it isn't as reliable with game compatibility as the everdrive V3. It's going for half the price in UK.

Gunsmithx

yeah, i want the super everdrive (board's about $75), wish the N8 & N64 boards were that price!

It's Great!

Need to pick up the GB and N64 ones next, I love mine, makes my life way easier.

Speaking of the Hdmi mod, do we have any idea on cost or who will be doing installs? I don't think I've seen that info yet.

Kawika

Went to get Halo 5 today and the store owner says. Hey do you want a RGB modded N64?

Walked out the door with that modded N64, an expansion pack and Rogue Squadron for under $100.

vXghstdMoeTV-lH_JePSNRS7zpOJ6CxNMXmMtI7iEyaq0rVaRFQygcqHJiohGLqfEERNfgDBv8RHcqa82S9WxnYPy0fI6sdR7oGZcChjRpcIUmAsSKNTbt_lQy41b3S_-O5OY-rQyb39QjhbSc5N0RMY1Qh2FsbcHfjhkJUX0fgMGWTnuj-aAdTtkBj2R4gjIc7GvOT1O_ErtakIxaqxet-Aqs0wSKVbVHizphbizOkDaaloAqrtJcgY90YK7B1ww6xiIvOWOG3AE9m1Ga8QPOQAftsLLN7KQOQj2JdGI9cCX8sTiYYeWko8_gjLqUcpZPe03Q5PAZgYaJdg0myszcXUdU4t63MUiLIP8LpxGrTHWvng_4_PREZzYF96pAobJa5gVaJEyYIQ2_1ln6cXqMAn9eWBcE2KBMGLqPR1u25F4-W9uvzPkb9-bsRBmtJkVfXNHCkLrZTZu8No9Rb8ndoOuyqspw-suw3FBpACgCXY8W6qHCt4OPC7bRnIFJOoPaqhapUCUpfmjylWvrhIK5PRaG9RYbCLmQ4PYevdxQ1q=w1567-h881-no

Timu

Went to get Halo 5 today and the store owner says. Hey do you want a RGB modded N64?

Walked out the door with that modded N64, an expansion pack and Rogue Squadron for under $100.

vXghstdMoeTV-lH_JePSNRS7zpOJ6CxNMXmMtI7iEyaq0rVaRFQygcqHJiohGLqfEERNfgDBv8RHcqa82S9WxnYPy0fI6sdR7oGZcChjRpcIUmAsSKNTbt_lQy41b3S_-O5OY-rQyb39QjhbSc5N0RMY1Qh2FsbcHfjhkJUX0fgMGWTnuj-aAdTtkBj2R4gjIc7GvOT1O_ErtakIxaqxet-Aqs0wSKVbVHizphbizOkDaaloAqrtJcgY90YK7B1ww6xiIvOWOG3AE9m1Ga8QPOQAftsLLN7KQOQj2JdGI9cCX8sTiYYeWko8_gjLqUcpZPe03Q5PAZgYaJdg0myszcXUdU4t63MUiLIP8LpxGrTHWvng_4_PREZzYF96pAobJa5gVaJEyYIQ2_1ln6cXqMAn9eWBcE2KBMGLqPR1u25F4-W9uvzPkb9-bsRBmtJkVfXNHCkLrZTZu8No9Rb8ndoOuyqspw-suw3FBpACgCXY8W6qHCt4OPC7bRnIFJOoPaqhapUCUpfmjylWvrhIK5PRaG9RYbCLmQ4PYevdxQ1q=w1567-h881-no
That is awesome!!!

Also you got Rogue Squadron, great game!

Kawika

That is awesome!!!

Also you got Rogue Squadron, great game!

Its probably my favorite N64 game. Some may say that is blasphemy but I am stoked!

So what are you going to play first?

Since my N64 uses the same RGB cable as my SNES. I will just hook that up as Halo is installing and patching. Probably will get through a few stages if all goes well before Halo is done.

Peltz

Where can I get brand new N64 Controllers? Or even an USB one as well.

A classmate back in law school gave me her old video games and there was an absolutely pristine N64 controller in there. It was like finding the holy grail.

I had previously forgotten how N64 joysticks felt when new. It's amazing and I pretty much don't let anyone else use it.

IrishNinja

for like a decade it was fashionable to prop your old furniture up on soup cans and boxed N64 controllers, now people pay a premium for the latter but not the former

what a time to be alive

Morfeo

I have just been replacing the sticks on my controller, and they work flawlessly now. Dont really need new controllers then imo.

Top Bottom