• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official All-Encompassing Guitar Hero SUPER THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

123rl

Where did that Van Halen footage come from? It has Yellowcard on there!! That's a pretty damn big coup for Guitar Hero, IMO. I've said it for ages but Yellowcard are such a good choice for music games!

Tenks

cjelly said:
Greatest Hits is budget priced, right?

You'd think since it's just repackaging songs it would be but you must have missed the Activision logo on the box. So I hope your budget is $60.

Game doesn't need to be budget priced. It's not like they just reused the charts.

Maybe it should be less than $60, but that's true of all spinoff games.

Is that guy who is making all of the Guitar Hero: Smash Hits videos using the Rock Band drums? I noticed that his notes are only 4 gems wide instead of the normal 5 gems.

Played through GHSH today, mostly on expert but switched to hard for the final tier.
+Great to play No One Knows again
There are pyramids and a sphinx, playing The Trooper by Iron Maiden in front of it is awesome
The last 2 venues are rad
Dig the interface (same as Metallica looks like), and some of the connecty lines are used
I beat Through the Fire and Flames on hard! Freebird is also way easy on hard for me. I guess the charting is easier or i've gotten a lot better (been a while since I tried either).
the live version of Unsung is great

-Single player and tour are separated.
I preferred the covers of The Trooper and The STP song. Only a little though (the guitar on trooper is mixed to low imo).
they kept the new version of Cult of Personality, I know the guitar solo is crazier but I don't care for how it sounds

wtf-the stages are wonders of the world, one of them is the London sewer system? you play Killer Queen for the encore (yay!) and the intro is rats coming from an electric phone booth (wat)
the final level after freaking Atlantis is...Quebec. I'm guessing the developer is from there (level is awesome though)

Marvie_3

Banned
I'll probably give GH:Smash Hits a rent. I already have GH2 & GH3 and there aren't enough songs that I don't already have to warrant a purchase. They picked pretty much all the songs I hate from GH2 as well. :lol

I wandered into the DS GH wiki and there's some big WTF why are they only on DS? bands and songs:
Phoenix! The Klaxons! The Darkness! Veruca Salt! Avril Levigne (not that I care but I think Dave does)!

Picked up two of the super-discounted controllers off gamestop's online store last week and they shipped today. I can finally not be the only one on medium when I go over friends houses!

Oh shit, a bump :(

New GH:5 trailer came out today at Gamespot. CHECK IT

Some guy called M3wThr33 posted all the Rockfest modes at some forum called SomethingAwful

Pro Faceoff

Face off against other players in a free for fall, high score competition

Momentum

All players start at medium difficulty. Miss notes and your difficulty decreases. Hit notes in a streak and your difficulty increases. The highest score wins.

Streakers

Keep your streak up. Before your multiplier changes, you'll get that number of points. Remember, star power doubles your multiplier. Get the most points to win.

Do or Die

Miss a note, get a strike. Three strikes and you're out until the next section. Get a point for each section you survive. Get the most points to win. Star power will remove strikes and make players invincible while active.

Perfectionist

Try to play perfectly. The players with the highest percentage of notes hit for a section will earn points. Get the most points to win.

Elimination

Keep your score up. When the timer reaches zero, the player with the lowest score will be eliminated. Don't get eliminated.

RockFest

Compete against other players during a series of songs. Game rules will change after every song. Players vote on which rules to use. RockFest includes Pro Faceoff, Momentum, Streakers, Do or Die, Perfectionist, and Elimination.

Team Pro Faceoff

Face off against an opposing band of any instrument combination in a high score competition.

Team Momentum

All players start at medium difficulty. Miss notes and your difficulty increases. Hit notes in a streak and your difficulty increases. The team with the highest score wins.

Team Streakers

]Keep your streak up. Before your multiplier changes, you'll get that number of points. Remember, star power doubles your multiplier. The team with the highest score wins.

Team Do or Die

Miss a note, get a strike. Three strikes and you're out until the next section. Get a point for each section you survive. The team with the most points at the end will win. Star power will remove strikes and make players invincible while active.

Team Perfectionist

Try to play perfectly. The players with the highest percentage of notes hit for a section will earn points. The team with the most points will win.

Team Elimination

Keep your score up. When the timer reaches zero, the player with the lowest score will be eliminated. Don't be the last one on your team to be eliminated.

Team RockFest

Compete against an opposing band during a series of songs. Game rules will change after every song. Players vote on which rules to use. Team RockFest includes Team Pro Faceoff, Team Momentum, Team Streakers, Team Do or Die, Team Perfectionist, and Team Elimination.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Elimination and Momentum sound like incredible party modes. This is the kind of innovation the series needs. And being able to "save" team members will hopefully push people away from the Beginner "difficulty."

Anyways IGN has an interview up concerning the Wii version, they think it's the one to get: "If you're getting GH5, you're going to want it on Wii." Some of the features sound really nice, but I couldn't care less about the DS connectivity. It's a shame doomed1 isn't getting GH5 out of protest for MW2 Wii, because this year we might actually be able to play eachother, what with the no game-specific codes and all...

I didn't think I'd buy another Guitar Hero after World Tour, I guess I was kinda burned by my strum bar flaking out and my lame red drum pad (and being unable to calibrate the lag 100%), but I think I'll get the GH5 guitar bundle because of the instrument mixing (that was Activision's plan all along!) Drop-in drop-out is also pretty big because my friends spent more time selecting characters/difficulty/instrument/everything than actually playing the song. :lol Really though it comes down to how durable the guitar is, and I'm glad they seem to be paying extra attention to that.

Hope my Another Way to Die DLC is carried over.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You can import (almost) all Smash Hits and World Tour songs (plus the DLC)! Yay!

Going by IGN's preview, 152 of the 158 World Tour DLC songs will be importable, and assuming all Smash Hits and World Tour disc songs can be imported, plus 5's on-disc songs, it makes for a maximum possibility of 371 songs playable in GH5! As the ceiling, of course. Would be great to see 96% of SH and WT songs importable like the WT DLC.

I can't wait for this game. ^,^ So glad they're releasing it on September 1 (practically August) instead of right at the end of October. :D

ne1

I'm planning to put together a GH/RB setup for wii and haven't got any instruments since before. I could get a RB 1 band-in-box cheap but since the RB-instruments aren't compatible with GH on wii, that seems like kind of a waste.
Instead I'm thinking about picking up two cheap les pauls, some mic and some GH drums.
But with GH5 coming out soon, with a new drum set, it seems kind of dumb to pick up a GHWT drum set at full price now, rather than getting a GH5 drum set, or a discounted GHWT drum set.
Do you guys think the drums will be available separately at launch or do they usually release them a couple of months late to force people to buy the whole box?

Then again the cheap ass gamer in me can't help but thinking that perhaps I should just pick up a RB band-in-box + a les paul and RB2, since that cost me about half as much as a for instruments compatible with both GH and RB, not to mention the additional cost of also buying several games. :/

Anyone with some input to share?

Harmonix have a helpful instrument compatibility guide on their site. Rock Band drums don't work with GH:WT, but screenshots have been released which show they do work with GH5.

They've not mentioned anything about when they're releasing the new GH:5 drums, other than showing a picture of them on the RedOctane blog. I've not seen them for sale anywhere, and they don't seem to be offering a full-band bundle for GH5, just a guitar one. Band Hero seems to be the only one getting a full band SKU.

Yeah. It's fine for some songs but Feel The Pain goes from being awesome with 4 lanes in RB to frustrating with 4 lanes in GH. But with 5 lanes, it's back to awesome.

Because I like this thread more (^_^)

Making your DLC compatible between versions and letting users copy songs off the disc from a previous version of your game are both moves straight out of the Rock Band playbook, though they're still very pro-consumer moves that I cannot fault Activision for including in GH5. The interesting twist here is that, when Guitar Hero 5 is released, there will also be a patch for World Tour that will introduce some of the new features from GH5. As altruistic as this might seem, keep in mind that Activision will likely start releasing new DLC songs that include hooks for those new features, so it only makes sense to make them work with the older game as well.

TRUE PLATFORM, ETC.

From GiantBomb. They also have some videos.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/guitar-hero-5-hits-the-stage/1620/

Also, according to ScoreHero dude, Hyperspeed is no relegated to the cheats menu. Hooray.

Also, according to a Neversoft staff dude on ScoreHero, re exports:

It really comes down to negotiations with the record labels. As Im sure you're all aware of by now, there has been difficulty with licensing with WMG (Warner Music Group) for both the Guitar Hero and Rock Band franchises recently. Also its a matter of time constraints in negotiating the relicensing of songs in order for them to be available for you to export as soon as possible. This is why it's been said that this will continue to be an ongoing process of relicensing content to be made available to you.

So don't expect Warner shit day 1. Explains why GH:M is completely excluded thus far.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
GameTrailers has a walkthrough of some of the new features.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/features-walkthrough-guitar-hero/54111 [HD]
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/features-walkthrough-guitar-hero/54113 [HD]

Goes over band moments, the band multiplier, party play, the new-ish HUD, challenges, the Rockfest modes. I must reiterate how fun Momentum and Elimination will be for parties. I was also unclear on band moments before, but these vids cleared it up.

I love the new Quick Play screen, gives you so much more info (and the "intensity" meters are really helpful, as is listing the total playlist time.) I also just noticed the Smash Hits new HUD recently with the rock meter/multiplier on the side of the note highway, and am glad to see they kept and improved it with 5 to include Star Power as well. Challenges as a means of progression sound interesting and should be an improvement over the previous, complicated cash system, and should feel more rewarding as well. Plus the way they're displayed in-game when playing looks slick.

Also, is it me or are the notes themselves shinier?

One thing I really want to know is if you're still limited to 20 GHTunes songs (on the Wii), and if your GHWT GHTunes are compatible/importable to GH5. A second thing I want to know is what the slider strip on the guitar is for now that they've removed the purple tape.

Andrex said:
A second thing I want to know is what the slider strip on the guitar is for now that they've removed the purple tape.

They still have purple notes. So all that changes is the way they're shown in-game. Strip still works.

This week's free DLC pack is out; all the songs are largely forgettable except The Silence Is Deafening by Awaken. I had a lot of fun with that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TheGreatDave said:
They still have purple notes. So all that changes is the way they're shown in-game. Strip still works.

So they're still glorified HO/POs? Was hoping to see more done with them song-wide than in tiny sections of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom