• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

I saw a guy flying around an AK-47 in Muliplayer a few minutes ago.

Needless to say I won the match with my crappy speed boat.

dejay

Banned
Surfheart said:
My problem is with what it is.
I truly hope that the demo was not representative of meat of the gameplay in the full thing. I thought the challenges were unispired and most importantly, the vehicles were just horrible to control. Clanker's eye challenge was the most frustrating thing I've endured in all my time gaming and I had to quit the demo after a few tries at the Soccer challenge for fear of my sanity.

I'm fine with a new direction, if you look at the old thread revealing the new direction you would find posts from me praising the fact that they changed it up. The way vehicles feel to control in the situations presented in the demo just felt broken to me.

I did the soccer challange first go with about ten seconds to spare using the default vehicle and I did the Clankers Eye challange third time with a custom vehicle. Perhaps you're just going too fast on the throttle?

I hope we find out whether or not the worlds are just composed of mini-game challenges. I love the demo, but even $40 would be too much for just mini-games filled levels. It's fun to design vehicles to do better in the mini-games, but I hope they have normal challenges too, because it's so much fun to explore the demo level with whatever weird vehicle you design. :D I love Banjo's new look too, he really has good animation and just looks appealing.

cjelly said:
I just noticed the B-K.com forums has got an updated list of retailers that are doing the XBLA codes. I'm happy that Woolworths have been added, as I got it pre-ordered for £28 from there. :D

£28???? How? :0

Brashnir

the_zombie_luke said:
I hope we find out whether or not the worlds are just composed of mini-game challenges. I love the demo, but even $40 would be too much for just mini-games filled levels. It's fun to design vehicles to do better in the mini-games, but I hope they have normal challenges too, because it's so much fun to explore the demo level with whatever weird vehicle you design. :D I love Banjo's new look too, he really has good animation and just looks appealing.

what would you define as a "normal" challenge?

Brashnir said:
Having Jiggys in the level that you would have to figure out how to get, whether it's a boss, puzzle, or obstacle without going into a mini-game challenge pretty much.

Brashnir

the_zombie_luke said:
Having Jiggys in the level that you would have to figure out how to get, whether it's a boss, puzzle, or obstacle without going into a mini-game challenge pretty much.

you might want to look elsewhere then, because that doesn't seem to be where this game is going.

edit - The parts crates seem are set up for that sort of thing, but not the jiggies.

Brashnir said:

"The serial rapist Browser has kidnapped our beloved Queen once again. He is currently holed up in Vengeance Castle, with his elite Imperial Guards defending the perimeter. The only way in is to fly over the castle wall, but you will have to deal with cannon fire and the possibility of dragon-riders, so don't go up there unarmed. Please help us Banjo, you're our only hope!"

Surfheart

dejay said:
I did the soccer challange first go with about ten seconds to spare using the default vehicle and I did the Clankers Eye challange third time with a custom vehicle. Perhaps you're just going too fast on the throttle?

Maybe I was I don't know. There were some instances were I would get the vehicle stuck on some scenery that I had knocked over, unable to get off forwards or back. The vehicles just felt janky. I would be more forgiving if the challenges were actually compelling or fun.

border

PSGames said:
You could have said this in your first post. The game is not for you, doesn't mean it's too complex for anyone else.
I said it's too complex for a young audience, not too complex for "anyone else".

mm04

I guess it depends on what your definition of young audience. I brought this demo to my sisters house for her triplets to play and they had a great time just with the demo for hours. They are 9 years old and they even liked Rare's humor, which was causing them to laugh out loud. And they own VP too and did not find it too difficult.

I guess if you mean young as in pre-school, okay. But I don't think you're giving kids today enough credit in terms of how fast they pick things up. These same 9 year old kids also play WoW on a PVP server and more than hold their own. Kids just play games sooner now since it's more mainstream. The problem for Rare isn't that this game is too complicated for kids, it's that not enough kids own Xbox 360s.

Surfheart said:
Maybe I was I don't know. There were some instances were I would get the vehicle stuck on some scenery that I had knocked over, unable to get off forwards or back. The vehicles just felt janky. I would be more forgiving if the challenges were actually compelling or fun.

Well we've heard you now, it's fine!

Kuroyume

Banned
Jo-El said:

6nsfa6e.gif

[Nintex]

I didn't have enough parts in the demo but in the full game I'm going to build a Kirov Airship to beat that air challenge.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Damn it, this game has the same "one more" syndrome from Crackdown. One more Jiggy and I'll stop... One hour later I'm still one-moring.
I'm really enjoying the game so far, but maybe that's just because I'm sticking to the easy challenges though.
Also for the people who are scared of the whole construction part, so far at worst I've had to take an existing blueprint and add a part because it just made sense for that particular challenge. I certainly never had to create a whole vehicle from scratch, though I guess I'd gotten some trophies by doing so.

JSnake

Blimblim said:
Damn it, this game has the same "one more" syndrome from Crackdown. One more Jiggy and I'll stop... One hour later I'm still one-moring.
I'm really enjoying the game so far, but maybe that's just because I'm sticking to the easy challenges though.
Also for the people who are scared of the whole construction part, so far at worst I've had to take an existing blueprint and add a part because it just made sense for that particular challenge. I certainly never had to create a whole vehicle from scratch, though I guess I'd gotten some trophies by doing so.

Will you produce some videos for us?

soco

Blimblim said:
Yes, embargo ends in a tad less than 2 days.

can you talk about the diversity of the missions? is it still the same basic types of missions? defend/attack, collection, racing?

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Picked up my preorder bonus today. Looking forward to it : )

and it's good to see that they have a TV ad. good job Microsoft!

JdFoX187

Banned
Sorry if this question has already been asked, but I preordered through Gamestop's Web site for in-store pickup. Anyway, does anyone know when the Banjo Kazooie codes will go out?

RBH

JdFoX187 said:
Sorry if this question has already been asked, but I preordered through Gamestop's Web site for in-store pickup. Anyway, does anyone know when the Banjo Kazooie codes will go out?
Some people have reported that a few Gamestop stores have begun to give out the codes, but not all of them. Seems like it's a case-by-case basis, so it may be best to just call your local Gamestop about it.

I should do that now as well.....

dejay

Banned
Blimblim said:

Good to hear that you're having fun, despite not delving deeply into the vehicle creation aspect - for someone like me it will be double the fun mucking around with the creation as well.

Brashnir

GarthVaderUK said:
They're...advertising?

not only that, it's a really good commercial. I wasn't sure it was possible to get the idea of this game across in 30 seconds, but it seems they've done it.

dejay

Banned
Surfheart said:
The flying actually looks like it could be fun. I'm so conflicted about this game. :(

Give the demo one more try and try finessing the vehicles. If that doesn't give you any more satisfaction I'll say the game isn't for you. I understand your predicament - the charm and beauty of the world can't be appreciated fully if you're going to be frustrated playing it.

Thanks Blim :)

I look forward to seeing the various vehicles that people create. I was also happy to see that there are much bigger wheels in the full game, the wheels in the demo are fine for your basic shopping trolley but it still feels like you are driving on stilts.

Surfheart

dejay said:
Give the demo one more try and try finessing the vehicles. If that doesn't give you any more satisfaction I'll say the game isn't for you. I understand your predicament - the charm and beauty of the world can't be appreciated fully if you're going to be frustrated playing it.

I did this tonight actually (4th time through FTW) and lets just say I'm eating a small cracker with crow pate' right now :D

It just clicked a bit tonight and I started enjoying myself. Perhaps subconsciously I was resentful that I was forced to control a vehicle rather than Banjo - I dunno, I thought I was being open minded about it.
Looking at the level while flying around, with Blims impressions going through my mind, I was imagining the possibilities the full game is going to offer.

Banjo sale +1 I guess. Sorry to be so hasty.

dejay

Banned
Not exactly hasty - you played the demo four times and watched vids of it after all.

I think it's the sort of game you have to be in the mood for. When I first played it I was tired and I didn't think much of it. You have to invest a little.

Top Bottom