• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise.... its continuing mission

Enterprise1.jpg

To find a way to land properly

Enterprise2.jpg

sionyboy said:

Could you put retractable wings on the underside to work as "landing gear"? Make the ship neck the right length so it could balance right?

BenjaminBirdie said:
Could you put retractable wings on the underside to work as "landing gear"? Make the ship neck the right length so it could balance right?

I've got some wings under the saucer section to help it take off, I'll see if I can squeeze some more on their.

Anyone know if there is going to be any DLC for this game? I can think of quite a few components which would come in handy (ie. dedicated plane wheels that pop out of a 1x1x1 cube... and of course a landing prop for Star Trek themed ships :p)

When I get, say 4x whatzits from a supply crate and I add two to a vehicle for a race, will I only have 2x left if I try a different race with a different vehicle? I guess I'm asking if any vehicles I make get recycled into parts after I go back to Showdown Town, with only the blueprint remaining... OR, do the vehicles stay built, and I need to constantly keep finding supply crates to keep up my stock of whatzits?

Also, getting a recurring crash bug in the Klungo's Arcade, for the game where you have to jump over the high ground (third unlocked game I think). I thought it was a hilarious Rare joke, where the game crashed and then Klungo would come out and say, "Oops, looks like I bug, I'll reset it for you," but then it happened repeatedly. Not as hilarious.

Chris R

affableamerican said:
When I get, say 4x whatzits from a supply crate and I add two to a vehicle for a race, will I only have 2x left if I try a different race with a different vehicle? I guess I'm asking if any vehicles I make get recycled into parts after I go back to Showdown Town, with only the blueprint remaining... OR, do the vehicles stay built, and I need to constantly keep finding supply crates to keep up my stock of whatzits?

Also, getting a recurring crash bug in the Klungo's Arcade, for the game where you have to jump over the high ground (third unlocked game I think). I thought it was a hilarious Rare joke, where the game crashed and then Klungo would come out and say, "Oops, looks like I bug, I'll reset it for you," but then it happened repeatedly. Not as hilarious.
Blueprints just store the shape, not the parts. And yea, getting the bug more than twice is kinda annoying.

As for the enterprise... put some armor on the back to weigh it down :D

affableamerican said:

You'll have 4 to use on a single vehicle at all times. Vehicles do not stay built, they just remain in blueprint form.

And the crash bug is a joke... albeit not a funny one after the first time it happens.

Sydle

ChrisGoldstein said:
My amazon order is waiting for me at home :D

Any quick tips?

Do NOT rush through the game, otherwise you'll likely miss the pure joy of exploration and experimentation that make the game so special.

Enjoy.

Duodenum

Neo Member
So I haven't tried this online yet. Is it hard to find a game?

Also, are there modes where you can restrict what parts you can use? Cause I don't have everything unlocked and I also think some constraints would encourage more creativity.

ChrisGoldstein said:
My amazon order is waiting for me at home :D

Any quick tips?

Treat every challenge as a puzzle and build your own vehicles (if allowed) to solve them. Just using the default vehicles isn't as fun.

WhiteOut

Neo Member
Duodenum said:
So I haven't tried this online yet. Is it hard to find a game?
Not terribly hard. It may take around 3 minutes to find enough players and every once in a while it will just sit there for what seems like ages without finding a single match, otherwise you can get in a match pretty quickly. It's fun at first but gets pretty boring quickly. (Also, the races are way too long, and definetly not worth it so try to stick with the "sports" category.)

Fuuuck I want this game, but I'm still working on Far Cry 2 and might get Fable II in the mail soon, not to mention the other day I decided to hop into Persona 2 IS. Meh, too many games.

2ptywb6.jpg

Okay Gaf, challenge time.

See if you can get Banjo to stand on top of the floating soccer ball in the Test-o-Track. Then take a screenshot of your accomplishment and explain how you did it. I'm interested to see how many ways you guys come up with, or even if there's more than one possible way to do it.

Bonus points to whoever does what I did. :p

Tobor

sionyboy said:

://homepage.ntlworld.com/sionyboy/Games/Enterprise1.jpg

://homepage.ntlworld.com/sionyboy/Games/Enterprise2.jpg

Reposting from earlier in the thread:

BE87D3B11408FA6E53A8.jpg

And for your Kessel runs in less than 12 parsecs:

CCD2EBDD1408FCB77688.jpg

sionyboy said:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sionyboy/Games/Enterprise1.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sionyboy/Games/Enterprise2.jpg

Tobor said:

those are cool :)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
autobzooty said:
Didn't they say that it'd happen within the first month of the game's release?

Getting pretty close to the one month mark, isn't it?

That's why I'm asking. Too many pages to read through, and I've basically stayed away from this thread since I didn't want to shit it up with my disappointment and complaints. And... I don't really care enough to feel all that disappointed or to complain all that much.

That's why I popped in with the quick question. Because the game's been out for a good long while, and I've already CREAMED BK XLBA and BK GBA...

Mejilan said:
That's why I'm asking. Too many pages to read through, and I've basically stayed away from this thread since I didn't want to shit it up with my disappointment and complaints. And... I don't really care enough to feel all that disappointed or to complain all that much.

That's why I popped in with the quick question. Because the game's been out for a good long while, and I've already CREAMED BK XLBA and BK GBA...

Eh, I'm pretty disappointed that it wasn't a traditional Banjo game, but I'm still able to just enjoy it for what it is. I dunno if that's really "shitting up" the thread.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
autobzooty said:
Eh, I'm pretty disappointed that it wasn't a traditional Banjo game, but I'm still able to just enjoy it for what it is. I dunno if that's really "shitting up" the thread.

Me too. But since I haven't been able to actually play the game, I can't really express any disappointment about it. Except for that fact that I can't actually play the game. Which is why I've stayed away. Bitching about a shitty sequel in an official thread is fine. Bitching about how you can't play it? I drawl the line there.

:D

TTG

Made a cool air taxi thing today. 2 rows of couches, a row of passenger seats and a row for banjo all held together by some poles and L panels on the bottom. Add a large engine mated to 2 folding propellers, 2 small jets behind you and a set of folding wings. It's almost a pefect helicopter/plane. When you're in helicopter mode there's very slight thrust forward because the jets are always on but it's 90% straight up, in plane mode it flies exactly as a plane should.

EDIT: it's also pretty good under water. The challenges in the terror world thing are awesome! :lol

Tobor said:
Reposting from earlier in the thread:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb83/Tobor_bucket/BE87D3B11408FA6E53A8.jpg

And for your Kessel runs in less than 12 parsecs:

[IMG]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb83/Tobor_bucket/CCD2EBDD1408FCB77688.jpg[/QUOTE]

I had a feeling there would be others out there.
I might have to go try my hand at a Defiant later on.

Chris R

The super parts are just so balanced :lol yea right

Trying to just get 100% now...

As for getting on the floating soccer ball, I did it with a single spring and seat on top of that, and a well timed jump :lol

bottles

I finally managed to beat the game tonight with the minimum required amount of Jiggies.

The original Banjo-Kazooie is one of my favourite games of all time, so when I tried the demo and absolutely hated what Rare had done with the franchise, I was extremely disappointed. However, when I completed Dead Space, I bought Nuts & Bolts anyway as I was looking for something lighthearted.

By the time I got the springs for the trolley, I had already explored most of Showdown Town using the ‘environment cheat’, i.e. stacking boxes on the trolley and hopping onto buildings and the like. (At the time I was unaware of Banjo’s ability to ‘fly’ the trolley.) I explored the first few worlds and enjoyed building vehicles, but by the time I had banked my 65th Jiggy – some 25 hours in – the game started to feel like a drag.

I really started disliking the fact that the challenges were like standalone mini-games accessible only by talking to characters (going back and forth through the menus really got to me due to the gameplay’s trial and error nature), and more and more, the challenges were feeling like rehashes of previous ones. I also disliked that some of them were ‘artificially’ made difficult, i.e. not through intelligent game design (case in point: Saucer of Peril). I have to say that I am probably not the most creative vehicle designer – although I made like 40 different ones, I kept using a helicopter with 4 small propellers that I built early in the game for exploration – but nevertheless I feel like they could have done so much more with the concept.

Most of my time with the game was actually spent in Showdown Town, which is the best hub world ever in my opinion, but almost every world – the exception being LOGBOX 720 – is well-crafted (if shockingly empty), especially Nutty Acres and the Terrarium of Terror. You don’t even realize how big these worlds really are until you land your plane or helicopter and just run around.

While I liked Nuts & Bolts for the most part – it’s beautiful, funny (from the dialogue to Klungo’s game) and original – in the end I have to say it was a mixed bag, and I do hope that the Banjo-Kazooie franchise returns to its platforming roots for its next iteration.

(Edited for clarity.)

TTG

Finally looks like I've unlocked mostly everything, the last 10% or so of the parts you find in crates are awesome. Finally maxed out the speed on a vehicle, it took 3 large jets and 2 smaller ones. Ofcourse there's no way to really control it. I'm thinking getting there through engine power would be much better and that would certainly be possible if I could find a second
super engine
. I also have way too much firepower and ammo now,
The dogfight vs Grunty's UFO for the horn took maybe 10 seconds
. I just hope I get a chance to use all this stuff before the game is over.

Has anyone figured out Stop N Swap yet? Both games have been out for a while, now... more then enough time to beat the XBLA port, at the very least.

Sydle

WordAssassin said:
Has anyone figured out Stop N Swap yet? Both games have been out for a while, now... more then enough time to beat the XBLA port, at the very least.

Collect the eight stop n' swap items in BK XBLA and there are eight new boxes with parts in Showdown Town. I don't think the parts are all that great.

Amory

I'm like 15 minutes in and the humor is already great. The overall gameplay experience is so relaxed and just goofy fun, it's like the anti-fallout 3.

So glad I purchased this

TTG

Finally finished it tonight. Got a total of 111 jiggies. I'm guessing all that's left are trophy jiggies, the ones you buy and the secret ones you get with the hidden switches... and I won't be going back for those soon. :lol

I enjoyed the overall experience a lot more than I thought I would. They executed fairly well on a very cool and unique concept, the game has a great charm and sense of humor about it. There are a few issues I had that added up to some frustration. The insane carnival music that plays during challenges can get very tiring quickly, if I had to repeat a long challenge more than twice I basically had to put the game on mute. Another problem is that a few of the worlds are basically giant mazes, the terrarrium and logbox especially. The hovercraft controls are damn near broken and helicopter controls could be better. The only significant problem, if you can call it that, is that there's absolutely no game outside of the vehicle builder and challenge minigames. I guess the 40 dollar price tag goes to explain that, but I still would recommend people only rent this one.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm having some trouble and I'm wondering if anybody has experienced the same thing.

I load up my trolley in Showdown Town with 4 jiggies. I head to the central bank and get attacked by cops. One of the cops rams my car, sending pieces flying. One goes under the bank and gets sucked in, causing the game to autosave. The rest get scattered around the central area, except for one problem--one is missing. It's not anywhere. Even the statistics say I've won 20 jiggies and banked 19.

Any ideas?

Plinko said:
I'm having some trouble and I'm wondering if anybody has experienced the same thing.

I load up my trolley in Showdown Town with 4 jiggies. I head to the central bank and get attacked by cops. One of the cops rams my car, sending pieces flying. One goes under the bank and gets sucked in, causing the game to autosave. The rest get scattered around the central area, except for one problem--one is missing. It's not anywhere. Even the statistics say I've won 20 jiggies and banked 19.

Any ideas?

The location of the Jiggy should show up on your radar unless you're totally glitched out...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
autobzooty said:
The location of the Jiggy should show up on your radar unless you're totally glitched out...

No jiggy shows up on the radar.

Plinko said:

Any ideas?

Probably back at the Jigg-O-Vend. When you reload, the game doesn't save the position of jiggies outside of vends in showdown town - it just merely returns them to the vend.

bottles

APZonerunner said:
Probably back at the Jigg-O-Vend. When you reload, the game doesn't save the position of jiggies outside of vends in showdown town - it just merely returns them to the vend.

You don't have to reload if I recall correctly. When you leave a Jiggy lying around Showdown Town for too long, you get a message from L.O.G telling you it's back in the Jigg-O-Vend.

Tirade

placeholder
XCell9200 said:
The overall gameplay experience is so relaxed and just goofy fun, it's like the anti-fallout 3.

XCell9200 said:
The overall gameplay experience is so relaxed and just goofy fun, it's like the anti-fallout 3.

XCell9200 said:

XCell9200 said:

XCell9200 said:

Reposted for great justice. These games are the peanut butter and jelly for me of 2008.

I just played the demo for the first time. I'm gonna buy the fuck out of this game first chance I get. I love getting thrown into the first world and not having a fucking clue what to do so I just go blazing across the level. I love how terrible my shopping cart controls. I love how I put together some random vehicle and it flew around in a circle because the fans were in screwy spots. I love how the very first thing I did was ram into townspeople and they let loose with their pathetic screams. And I especially loved ramming into Bottles.

Text is really small though.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
7 hours in, best 26 bucks I've spent in my whole life.

At first I was struggling with the vehicles but now I'm starting to get the hang of this.

Still with the trolley but I have retractable wings (so awesome), the little floaters for the water, and 2 grenade cannons.

The game is so good and sometimes it looks so fantastic you would think you're actually playing a cartoon.

Ding

I've got a question:

I've beaten enough of the Grunty challenges to "unlock" all the trollies up to the Mk. 5. (That's the one with the laser.) But, I can't figure out how to use that trolley within Showdown Town. I'm still driving around in the Mk. 3, or whatever it is. (Grip tires and floaters only) I went into Mumbo's Motors, and I'm able to load and view the Mk. 5 within the garage, but when I exit, I'm back in the crappy Mk. 3.

Is the game glitched, or is there something else I need to do? I beat the challenge that gives the Scuba Seat a while back. My trolley still doesn't have a scuba seat, but the underwater tunnels all unlocked as if I did.

Help?

bottles

Ding said:
I've got a question:

I've beaten enough of the Grunty challenges to "unlock" all the trollies up to the Mk. 5. (That's the one with the laser.) But, I can't figure out how to use that trolley within Showdown Town. I'm still driving around in the Mk. 3, or whatever it is. (Grip tires and floaters only) I went into Mumbo's Motors, and I'm able to load and view the Mk. 5 within the garage, but when I exit, I'm back in the crappy Mk. 3.

Is the game glitched, or is there something else I need to do? I beat the challenge that gives the Scuba Seat a while back. My trolley still doesn't have a scuba seat, but the underwater tunnels all unlocked as if I did.

Help?

Same thing happened to me. You probably don't have the spring upgrade yet, which is Mk. 4. Win the Grunty challenge in Banjoland to get it.

Mifune

Mehmber
TTG said:
The only significant problem, if you can call it that, is that there's absolutely no game outside of the vehicle builder and challenge minigames.

I only have around 40 jiggies, but so far I've spent twice as much time in Showdown Town as in any of the other worlds. That's plenty of game outside the vehicle builder and challenges.

so when i first booted up the game, and they show spiral mountain at the title screen and played the classic song, I almost cried. no joke.

am i alone in this boat?

Top Bottom