• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

bottles

Mifune said:
I only have around 40 jiggies, but so far I've spent twice as much time in Showdown Town as in any of the other worlds. That's plenty of game outside the vehicle builder and challenges.

I disagree. In Showdown Town (which is also where I spent most of my time), all you can really do besides freeing some Jinjos and playing Klungo's game is collect crates to get more parts for the vehicle builder.

In the proper game worlds, there is no real incentive to explore as there is nothing to do besides completing challenges, and you can see on your map where you can access them. If you equip your vehicle with the Spec-O-Spy, you don't even have to look for Jinjos, and the notes are never really hidden away in places you can't see directly.

I like the game, but in the end it's just a series of mini-games, rehashed over and over.

Mifune

Mehmber
bottles said:
I disagree. In Showdown Town (which is also where I spent most of my time), all you can really do besides freeing some Jinjos and playing Klungo's game is collect crates to get more parts for the vehicle builder.

And that's not gameplay? What about the hidden jiggy hack machines? Exploring isn't part of the gameplay?

Dude said there is "absolutely zero game" outside of the challenges and vehicle creation, which is patently untrue.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Some of my favorite parts of the game are platforming around showdown town, trying to get more notes and crates.

The tightrope walking is pretty cool.

Also I crack every time I see Mr. Fit

bottles

Mifune said:
And that's not gameplay? What about the hidden jiggy hack machines? Exploring isn't part of the gameplay?

Dude said there is "absolutely zero game" outside of the challenges and vehicle creation, which is patently untrue.

I’m guessing he was just exaggerating.

I can see where you’re coming from, but there is comparatively little of it when you consider what’s supposed to be the real meat of the game: challenges and vehicle creation. The trophies are there for a reason: you’re encouraged to spend lots of time at Mumbo’s Motors to come up with faster and more effective designs. If you’re not into that, like me, and you spend most of your time doing something else like platforming in Showdown Town, you would probably rather play a traditional Banjo game.

Mifune

Mehmber
bottles said:
If you’re not into that, like me, and you spend most of your time doing something else like platforming in Showdown Town, you would probably rather play a traditional Banjo game.

Never thought of it that way, but you might be right. My favorite part of the game is when I exit the challenge worlds and drive my rickety cart loaded with jiggies to the town center.

God damn, is anyone else having heaps of trouble getting the trophy on the Saucer Of Peril challenge in Terrarium of Terror act 2?

It's really boring and I can't even come close to beating it, but it's one of the last trophies I need to complete the game 100%. I can't quit now!

soco

autobzooty said:
God damn, is anyone else having heaps of trouble getting the trophy on the Saucer Of Peril challenge in Terrarium of Terror act 2?

It's really boring and I can't even come close to beating it, but it's one of the last trophies I need to complete the game 100%. I can't quit now!

yeah it's one of the few trophies i don't have. i can just barely get the trophy. it wouldn't be hard if the controls weren't so god-awful. other people in the thread have had problems too, but the general consensus i've seen is just to keep trying. i guess after a while you get used to where everything is going to show up and the quirkiness of the controls. remembering that you're using an analog stick helps so you can just slightly move it in an arc pattern too...

soco said:
yeah it's one of the few trophies i don't have. i can just barely get the trophy. it wouldn't be hard if the controls weren't so god-awful. other people in the thread have had problems too, but the general consensus i've seen is just to keep trying. i guess after a while you get used to where everything is going to show up and the quirkiness of the controls. remembering that you're using an analog stick helps so you can just slightly move it in an arc pattern too...

yeah...i never thought i'd say it, but after having a wiimote, playing stuff like this on an analog stick just feels primitive and unnecessary.

i'm not having fun, but dammit, i will keep trying!!

autobzooty said:
Okay Gaf, challenge time.

See if you can get Banjo to stand on top of the floating soccer ball in the Test-o-Track. Then take a screenshot of your accomplishment and explain how you did it. I'm interested to see how many ways you guys come up with, or even if there's more than one possible way to do it.

Bonus points to whoever does what I did. :p

Uh, fly above it and get out of your vehicle?

Sadly simple - I was expecting it to be difficult.

The controls on Saucer of Peril are atrocious, the highest I've managed so far is 284 which doesn't even get me close to a Jiggy, let along a TT Trophy. Whoever programmed those aiming controls needs to be swiftly kicked in the nutsacks and given a copy of Halo 3.... or Gears of War.... any game which shows how analogue aiming should be done on a console. I don't know if anyone else felt the same but the controls feel like they belonged more on a D-Pad than an analogue stick...? :/

IIRC from the brief part I played of the demo, PDZ had pretty lousy controls too. Sort it out Rare! Stop borrowing the aiming system from Goldeneye! :p

destroymariojg2.png

destroymario2bh7.png

Just having a little fun with my own Mario creation. We Banjo players have an obligation, it seems. :D

Paco said:
Collect the eight stop n' swap items in BK XBLA and there are eight new boxes with parts in Showdown Town. I don't think the parts are all that great.
Are you fucking kidding?

They'd better either tell us what it was originally meant to unlock now, or make it compatible with the XBLA version of Banjo-Tooie, or I will be so fucking angry...

KevinCow

Banned
WordAssassin said:
Are you fucking kidding?

They'd better either tell us what it was originally meant to unlock now, or make it compatible with the XBLA version of Banjo-Tooie, or I will be so fucking angry...
You know the N64 cartridges you break open to get stuff in Tooie? The things you unlock with those were what you were originally meant to unlock with the Stop 'n' Swop. If I remember, you got Dragon Kazooie with the Ice Key, and the eggs gave you a new attack where you slammed Kazooie down, homing eggs, and Jinjo in multi-player. Though there were more than three eggs in Kazooie, so who knows what the other ones would have opened.

I think that they were originally going to put a code for you to find where they wound up putting the N64 carts, then you'd take that code, put it in B-K, get the item, then swap it over to B-T. But they decided it was better to skip a few steps and just let you get the item in B-T.

Dabanton

God this is addictive.

Started playing at 11.00PM last night next thing i knew it was 7.00am :lol The game world is so glorious the vista's are just breathtaking it's also a game that rewards creativity i was making some bizarre contraptions yesterday. I love the freedom it allows in creating pretty much what you want.

Can't believe people are missing out on it. I expect to see a glut of LTTP threads next year when people catch onto how good this game is.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Argh...I got all 200 achievements in BK XBLA, and I still have to go back and find the stop n swop stuff?

Dabanton said:
God this is addictive.

Started playing at 11.00PM last night next thing i knew it was 7.00am :lol The game world is so glorious the vista's are just breathtaking it's also a game that rewards creativity i was making some bizarre contraptions yesterday. I love the freedom it allows in creating pretty much what you want.

Can't believe people are missing out on it. I expect to see a glut of LTTP threads next year when people catch onto how good this game is.

Exactly, even getting it horribly wrong with a vehicle is good fun because (when installed at least) it takes no time at all to get back to the workshop.

The last game that brought a smile to my face as much as this game was Crackdown.

Rare can have that quote for their box FOC

I simply love it, any reviewer who gave this game under 8.5 simply never played it imo (although i'm playing it from the hard drive, perhaps the loads could be intrusive from the disc?)

KevinCow said:
You know the N64 cartridges you break open to get stuff in Tooie? The things you unlock with those were what you were originally meant to unlock with the Stop 'n' Swop. If I remember, you got Dragon Kazooie with the Ice Key, and the eggs gave you a new attack where you slammed Kazooie down, homing eggs, and Jinjo in multi-player. Though there were more than three eggs in Kazooie, so who knows what the other ones would have opened.

I think that they were originally going to put a code for you to find where they wound up putting the N64 carts, then you'd take that code, put it in B-K, get the item, then swap it over to B-T. But they decided it was better to skip a few steps and just let you get the item in B-T.

The key was originally for DK64, too. The text referencing it is still in and it opened a new cave.

Have to say ( and I know its probably been said 1000 times before in this thread ) but this is serious GOTY stuff.

I only bought it because it was on offer ( £26 ), and had always loved Banjo on the N64...but I didnt realise how much I'd love this. MS / Rare have seriously ballsed up the hype / PR for this game. It *should* have done so well, especially at this time of year.

Son of Godzilla said:
Does the game benefit much from installing?

Well I have not played it from the disc but I can tell that there are times where if it was played from the disc there would be load times. From the harddrive you do not seem to have load times at all.

Jonsoncao

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
The last game that brought a smile to my face as much as this game was Crackdown.

Rare can have that quote for their box FOC

I simply love it, any reviewer who gave this game under 8.5 simply never played it imo (although i'm playing it from the hard drive, perhaps the loads could be intrusive from the disc?)
the loading from disc is ok

though you have to wait a little bit longer while watching those hilarious tips :D

tak

autobzooty said:

I hate that mission. I hate it so much.

woodsey1982 said:
Have to say ( and I know its probably been said 1000 times before in this thread ) but this is serious GOTY stuff.

I only bought it because it was on offer ( £26 ), and had always loved Banjo on the N64...but I didnt realise how much I'd love this. MS / Rare have seriously ballsed up the hype / PR for this game. It *should* have done so well, especially at this time of year.

They didnt really balls anything up rally. The ads have all been great and for a game like this on a Microsoft system there's been a lot of them. It's had a lot of promotion on XBL, it had a great preorder offer, and yet it still didn't sell well because people had a shitty knee-jerk reaction to the vehicle concept.

A lot of them are missing out on the best game of the year to be honest, and one they'd love as fans of the old Banjo games. Their loss, though.

Giard

APZonerunner said:
They didnt really balls anything up rally. The ads have all been great and for a game like this on a Microsoft system there's been a lot of them. It's had a lot of promotion on XBL, it had a great preorder offer, and yet it still didn't sell well because people had a shitty knee-jerk reaction to the vehicle concept.

A lot of them are missing out on the best game of the year to be honest, and one they'd love as fans of the old Banjo games. Their loss, though.

Also Rare's loss...

And its not like having Nuts and Bolts as a spinoff completely removed the possibility of a more traditional Banjo installment later on.

I really hope we get another sequel to N&B though, there is so much room for...pretty much everything.

KevinCow

Banned
APZonerunner said:
The key was originally for DK64, too. The text referencing it is still in and it opened a new cave.
Huh, I didn't know that part of it.

APZonerunner said:

The demo and reviews didn't help either. Especially the demo. I can't believe they didn't include the sticky tires in the demo, that probably hurt the game's perception more than anything.

bottles

APZonerunner said:

Of course, just because you love this new direction doesn’t mean ‘old’ Banjo fans will. I’m a Banjo fan from the N64 days and I like Nuts & Bolts for what it is, but its concept is so far removed from the previous games (and often quite poorly executed, too) that I fully understand why some long-time fans don’t like it. I mean, this whole thing with building vehicles and competing in challenges that are seperate from the actual game world? Perhaps it’s just too out there for some.

Besides, Nuts & Bolts is nowhere near GOTY material anyway IMO. Not with competitors like Dead Space, Fallout 3, LBP, GOW2, Fable II, Left 4 Dead, etc. etc.

APZonerunner said:

What bugs me is that the games press always cry out for innovation and then go and dismiss this game because it does something different.

How much mention has this game had on 1up yours? not a word post release?

mr_bishiuk said:
What bugs me is that the games press always cry out for innovation and then go and dismiss this game because it does something different.

1up Show featured it. But who cares about 1UY when Giant Bomb has been pimping it for like two months straight.

;D

BenjaminBirdie said:
1up Show featured it. But who cares about 1UY when Giant Bomb has been pimping it for like two months straight.

;D

Yer i've come to the conclusion that Giant Bomb are gamers while the 1up yours crew are all about egos and agenda's. Why isn't John Davidson all over this game, its a UK game with cars thats innovative that he can play with his kids?

mr_bishiuk said:
Yer i've come to the conclusion that Giant Bomb are gamers while the 1up yours crew are all about egos and agenda's. Why isn't John Davidson all over this game, its a UK game with cars thats innovative that he can play with his kids?

Eh, I don't really blame them. I can only imagine what Shane would have to say about it.

;D

mr_bishiuk said:

What do you mean "come to the conclusion"? They are marketed personas, and are hired and employed as such. That's been known for ages...

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Now that my finals are over, I can get back to Banjo and Psychonauts. I can't wait :D

bottles

mr_bishiuk said:

While Nuts & Bolts is innovative to an extent, it's not really the seamless gaming experience that you would expect it to be in this day and age. I have yet to see a publication dismiss the game for its concept - only for the way it's been executed. I'd say that's fair.

meddow

right let me start of saying i love banjo, both 64 games, (not diddy kong racing tho shuddddder)

This game is rubbish, i understand rare wanted a new direction, but this?

I was willing to give this a chance, pre ordered it only just got round to playing it (uni studies).

But rare, next time you want to try something different please dont attach one of my fav childhood gaming duo's

/rant

RPS37

Just got this for 26 bucks off from Amazon.
Couldn't put it down for the first hour.
Will play later after I finish PoP.

Chris R

Finally finished a single world completely (Nutty Acres). Is there anything that makes finding notes easier? That is actually what took me the longest of time.

meddow said:
right let me start of saying i love banjo, both 64 games, (not diddy kong racing tho shuddddder)

This game is rubbish, i understand rare wanted a new direction, but this?

I was willing to give this a chance, pre ordered it only just got round to playing it (uni studies).

But rare, next time you want to try something different please dont attach one of my fav childhood gaming duo's

/rant

Give it a couple of hours, seriously

tak

bottles said:
While Nuts & Bolts is innovative to an extent, it's not really the seamless gaming experience that you would expect it to be in this day and age. I have yet to see a publication dismiss the game for its concept - only for the way it's been executed. I'd say that's fair.
The quality of the game is absolutely on the same level as other top tier games being released. I would actually say it exceeds those other top tier games since it's a budget title. I can understand if the game mechanic is not your cup of tea, but to say the quality of the game is horrible is more then a little crazy. The production values are great, there are very few bugs, etc...

bottles

tak said:
The quality of the game is absolutely on the same level as other top tier games being released. I would actually say it exceeds those other top tier games since it's a budget title. I can understand if the game mechanic is not your cup of tea, but to say the quality of the game is horrible is more then a little crazy. The production values are great, there are very few bugs, etc...

I'm not saying it's a horrible game - in fact, I liked it quite a bit - but the way the game is structured leaves a lot to be desired. Surely you don't really think it's on par with the AAA titles I mentioned just because it's a budget game?

tak

bottles said:
I'm not saying it's a horrible game - in fact, I liked it quite a bit - but the way the game is structured leaves a lot to be desired. Surely you don't really think it's on par with the AAA titles I mentioned just because it's a budget game?
How is it badly structured?

Of course I think its on the same level as some of those other games. Its variety keep me wanting to come back to it more then the repetitiveness of Fable 2, the game is actually trying something new and succeeding at it in my view compared to Gears of War 2, the game is actually a long experience compared to the 4 levels that are Left 4 dead, etc...

I don't think the budgetness of it puts it on the same level as the top tier games you mention, I think it does it on its own. However, I do think the fact that it is a budget title gives it a lot more value.

Top Bottom