• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

TTG

Zoso said:
Mr. Fit's Fancy New Cage

Nice, I went with a cage as well but mine didn't fly. I don't remember if I even had the ability to build flying stuff back then. I end up building something new for almost every challenge, but my stuff are mostly modified blueprints.

Chris R

Grecco said:
Klungo Saves the World is maybe the most amazing thing ever.
screw that noise

Was fun until I had the game "crash" on me five or six times as I'm trying to beat the level before the boss one :(

edit:
and the final "2" missions are great, except for getting through say 60% of the challenge and then finding out you are going to need to start over and make some changes. Think I ended up just using a copter with a laser for the very final thing, plus three homing eggs :lol got a trophy but my time isn't great.

Ptaaty

TTG said:
Nice, I went with a cage as well but mine didn't fly. I don't remember if I even had the ability to build flying stuff back then. I end up building something new for almost every challenge, but my stuff are mostly modified blueprints.

All I use is completely from scratch designs (except for planes, start with trainer). For the protect Mr Fit I made a wheeled protective cage with guns...basically had him in the middle and drove him around while shooting the bad guys.

This game is entirely split on how you do vehicles. if you are annoyed by modifying them, the game will be marginal at best...if you embrace it and enjoy that aspect, it is GOTY type material. I am in the latter...happy as shit with this game.

KevinCow

Banned
Has there been any news on the text patch? I thought they said they'd have it within a month, and it's been a month.

Grecco said:
Where is the Showdown town gym?
The big snowy building by the Jiggoseum.

TTG

Ptaaty said:
All I use is completely from scratch designs (except for planes, start with trainer). For the protect Mr Fit I made a wheeled protective cage with guns...basically had him in the middle and drove him around while shooting the bad guys.

This game is entirely split on how you do vehicles. if you are annoyed by modifying them, the game will be marginal at best...if you embrace it and enjoy that aspect, it is GOTY type material. I am in the latter...happy as shit with this game.

So am I. Banjo has been charming, genuinely funny and innovative experience.

sionyboy said:
Loving these High-Grip tyres, the demo could have done with a set just to show that the cars don't always handle as if they are on greasy stilts.

The demo would've done well to include way more high-tech items, even if only accessible in a premade schematic. Big opportunity blown.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
KevinCow said:
Has there been any news on the text patch? I thought they said they'd have it within a month, and it's been a month.
Yeah, I was hoping it'd be out by now. I've kind of gotten used to reading the tiny text, but it's still quite irritating.

TTG

I'm trying to make a thing that will fly like a helicopter most of the time, but like a plane sometimes. My strategy was to put some fold out wings and propellers facing both up for lift and forward for thrust.... it's not working.

Am I correct in assuming that the only advantage to a folding wing is for a car/plane hybrid?

This game got a really good review in Pelit -magazine ( a finnish, very well-written game-magazine ) - I think they gave it 92/100.

I have been playing Banjo & Kazooie on XBLA, re-living old, nostalgic memories from my childhood, and this could very well be an inspired christmas-gift. I have one question, though: What are the chances that my girlfriend, who I am trying to introduce to the wonders of gaming, could get hooked into this? As in, is this fun for the whole 'family', so to speak?

soco

Lé Blade Runner said:
This game got a really good review in Pelit -magazine ( a finnish, very well-written game-magazine ) - I think they gave it 92/100.

I have been playing Banjo & Kazooie on XBLA, re-living old, nostalgic memories from my childhood, and this could very well be an inspired christmas-gift. I have one question, though: What are the chances that my girlfriend, who I am trying to introduce to the wonders of gaming, could get hooked into this? As in, is this fun for the whole 'family', so to speak?

it depends upon the girl. the humour is pretty awesome in it, but it's largely explore & solve sort of puzzles. by solving puzzles i mean, finding the best vehicle to finish each race. you don't have to build, but if you don't build, you're probably not going to enjoy the game very much except maybe jus running around showdown town and collecting things and exploring.

watkinzez

TTG said:
I'm trying to make a thing that will fly like a helicopter most of the time, but like a plane sometimes. My strategy was to put some fold out wings and propellers facing both up for lift and forward for thrust.... it's not working.

Am I correct in assuming that the only advantage to a folding wing is for a car/plane hybrid?

You could try foldy wings, two foldy propellers facing forward and two normal propellers facing upward. When you use it as a plane you'll still increase altitude as you go forward, but some experimentation with using both large and small propellers might work.

Damn I cant wait to play this game, but have to wait until Christmas. My wife bought one copy for me and I bought one as a gift for someone else.

+2 sales from me. :D

Haeleos

Lé Blade Runner said:

I would recommend a ton of other games before this one. Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey or Psychonauts are how I got my gf hooked on games. A DS is also a really good place for first time gamers. Introducing people to Professor Layton and Elite Beat Agents is a way better first step in my experience.

TTG

Lé Blade Runner said:

The key is the vehicle builder. Everything else is in place. It has a great charm and sense of humor to it, it's meant to be a game you can play for hours or 20 minutes at a time. It's not difficult or frustrating. But building vehicles has to be enjoyable to keep playing. It's not like a GTA where you can just fuck around in the world and go on dates if you don't want to do the missions.

I would probably start with something approachable, simple in objectives and something that has a coop mode.

TTG

watkinzez said:
You could try foldy wings, two foldy propellers facing forward and two normal propellers facing upward. When you use it as a plane you'll still increase altitude as you go forward, but some experimentation with using both large and small propellers might work.

Yea that's what I did, but the wings are basically useless in that case. What would be really cool is if they had a rotating panel on which to put a propeller on, I'm only 30 jiggies in so maybe you unlock that later.

Chris R

TTG said:

Foldable propellers or balloons

Sanjuro

LTTP.

WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME!?

I just booted up the game and was greeted by possibly the best intro to any video game. Ever.

Pasco

Banned
I've been working on a Harrier Jumpjet style VTOL vehicle, with swivel jets and the like.

My current prototype has jets connected via the tow-bar parts allowing for rotation, the rotation is controlled by balloons which when inflated bring the jets to forward thrust position, and when deflated allow the jets to be used to hover.

It still needs some work, I'll post some pics when I'm happier with it. I feel this is a more natural solution than using the "foldable" parts, that just feels like cheating :D

Shit.... only got the game yesterday and I've already racked up 8hr 54mins of playtime.... :blush:

One of the most engrossing games I've played since....I guess I'll have to say GTA4, but I really want to say Crackdown. I just spend forever trying to track down the next parts box in Showdown Town to see what treasures await me. Fold-Out Wings for the wing by the way, nothing like driving off a ledge, going into freefall and then spreading your wings Batman style.

TTG

I can't stop putting jets on everything. :lol I'm finally at a point where I've made the basic vehicles almost as good as they can be. Now it's just challenge specific and hybrids that I'm interested in.

If I have any criticism of the game is that it really feels like a bunch of minigames wrapped up in a Banjo universe. It's a little hard to carry a charm and sense of humor when you have to come back to the same level time and time again to read a few sentences and get into another challenge. This makes the first 2 hours or so the most entertaining as you're constantly unlocking new worlds and everything is more tightly strung together.

If I were making a sequel I would probably go with a good bit more traditional platforming with Banjo on foot and keeping the levels more linear. This would allow for a good bit of space for Rare to do their thing(like the awesome intro). If it means cutting out some of the challenges and dumping more of them into the stadium, which I would ofcourse want to keep, that's fine.

When do you get the jet engines? I've just gotten myself 50 jiggies and gotten the globe for Terrarium of Terror, but there are quite a few missions now that are getting pretty difficult and I feel I'm at a disadvantage with the equipment I have. There are quite a few crates that still have those ghosts sat upon them, do they just unlock at a certain point in the game?

And weapons.... the eggs are now useless unless I stick ten of them on my vehicle, and grenades don't seem that effective either.... is there a chaingun or something I can look forward to?

Chris R

I only started to run into difficulties at the last missions. Jets are overrated. And the ghosts will go away once you get the horn (which I still dont have yet either).

As for weapons, do you have the clockwork kaz yet? I usually stick 3 of those on my vehicle and call it good :lol

rhfb said:
I only started to run into difficulties at the last missions. Jets are overrated. And the ghosts will go away once you get the horn (which I still dont have yet either).

As for weapons, do you have the clockwork kaz yet? I usually stick 3 of those on my vehicle and call it good :lol

I have, I stuck one on and I got annoyed that I had no control over when they fired... :/ ... maybe I'll give them another go.

Anyone know if the turrets are worth sticking on your vehicle? There is one mission in Nutty Acres where you have to defend the trophy from wave after wave of Gruntbots, and I must have made the worst plane and helicopter in the world as I fail everytime.... would it be better to build a land-based vehicle and take them out AA-Gun style?

sionyboy said:
I have, I stuck one on and I got annoyed that I had no control over when they fired... :/ ... maybe I'll give them another go.

Anyone know if the turrets are worth sticking on your vehicle? There is one mission in Nutty Acres where you have to defend the trophy from wave after wave of Gruntbots, and I must have made the worst plane and helicopter in the world as I fail everytime.... would it be better to build a land-based vehicle and take them out AA-Gun style?

Yeah, I built a giant cage with a turret on it. Pwned some face.

Started this the other day. Initially I was very under-whelmed and the handling of vehicles is a bit poor (I hear better parts will sort that). However it has sincle clicked with me and I am enjoying it in short bursts.

TTG

sionyboy said:
Oooooh, a big-ass cage...

/Hits up Mumbo's workshop....

I just made a big ass box with no floor out of heavy panels with some propellers. Floated over the trophy and sat down, the only damage it took was from me knocking it over in the process. :lol

You get most of the key equipment/weapons from the battles with Grunty and ofcourse the shop. What I'm using right now for my tank/mad max vehicle are two granade launchers, a big guided missile thing that does blows away pretty much anything in it's path and one of those jack in box self firing things. I only really use granade launchers for multiple enemies and the egg shooter thing for planes. I think about 80% of my vehicles don't have any weapons at all though.

KevinCow

Banned
sionyboy said:

In that one, there's actually already a turret on the ground that you can hop into.

But like other people said, defending the thing is the easiest way to go. Either put a cage on it, or pick it up and drive it away so they can't get it.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I just got my floaters from Logbox & I'm at 20 jiggies. The progression in Showdown Town is very nice. It'd be cool if the other levels were like that(as in, you couldn't get to certain areas until you had certain parts). But you pretty much have the means to explore the entire level in act 1 in most cases so far. It's 5 am here and I just got done playing. It was too much fun to stop.

My big ass cage worked, wasn't perfect (it was too short so I was perched on the trophy) but I got ma' jiggie. Think I'll go back and get the TT Trophies at the end of the game.

Those EMP Gruntbots are a right bitch though, gonna need a bigger boat gun.

watkinzez

TTG said:
Yea that's what I did, but the wings are basically useless in that case. What would be really cool is if they had a rotating panel on which to put a propeller on, I'm only 30 jiggies in so maybe you unlock that later.

There isn't a part that fits the description, but I tried some experimentation with some jets (vertical and horizontal thrust), the tow cables (as a hinge) and a bunch of balloons (to realign the direction of the jets as needed). It works surprisingly well, given you get the weight balance right.

fisheyes

TTG said:
I just made a big ass box with no floor out of heavy panels with some propellers. Floated over the trophy and sat down, the only damage it took was from me knocking it over in the process. :lol

This is exactly what I did, though I put a couple of grenade guns inside the walls just in case. Did 4 damage to it when i 'parked' it on top, otherwise no damage was done.

TTG

Did I just get into a drifting competition with Klungo? The egg race around the ice rink at banjo museum land was awesome. :lol

Anyone ran into a bug whereby sound effect stop playing? First noticed it in Banjoland Act 6 whilst drifting on ice, my engine, weapons and gruntbots suddenly went all silent on me, coming back to life at random points. Then the engine problem followed me back to Showdown Town.

Wasn't a fan of the broken physics on the igloo demolition either. I thought I was going to score another TT Trophy and then I noticed that there were several blocks just hovering in the air. :/

sionyboy said:
Anyone ran into a bug whereby sound effect stop playing? First noticed it in Banjoland Act 6 whilst drifting on ice, my engine, weapons and gruntbots suddenly went all silent on me, coming back to life at random points. Then the engine problem followed me back to Showdown Town.

Wasn't a fan of the broken physics on the igloo demolition either. I thought I was going to score another TT Trophy and then I noticed that there were several blocks just hovering in the air. :/

I've had that sound issue too. Sometimes the propeller on your Trolley in Showdown Town doesn't make any noise, and I had the same problem on the ice that you had.

I also got really angry at the broken igloo demolition. Was a fun challenge until i saw that problem. I ended up standing on top of my car, jumping, and whacking the floating ice cubes with the wrench to knock them down and shoved them out. Barely snagged a trophy after all that nonsense.

fisheyes

Echo Eagle said:
Love this game. So. Much.

Now can someone tell me why I get an error while attempting to upload screenshots?

I had that same problem. Tried to upload the photos like 10 times and got an error every time - but then when I actually checked the website, all 10 copies of the photos were there. I'd check the website.

Chris R

Surprised so many people went for protection for the egg mission. I put it in a copter and flew away quick :lol Perfect score on that one

fisheyes said:
I had that same problem. Tried to upload the photos like 10 times and got an error every time - but then when I actually checked the website, all 10 copies of the photos were there. I'd check the website.
There we go.
9acx77.jpg

Thanks man. :)

rhfb said:
Surprised so many people went for protection for the egg mission. I put it in a copter and flew away quick :lol Perfect score on that one
Did the same thing. Used the vehicle that I created for the garbage cleanup mission.

Duodenum

Neo Member
rhfb said:

Yea I just used a helicopter with a sticky ball and flew inside of the volcano. That same vehicle is great for lots of challenges, like the Grunty challenge with the billiard balls where you unlock the laser (just stick Grunty and fly her around until time rounds out)

Is there anyway to save what button activates certain components? Everytime I start a mission/level I have to ensure that my folding wings are activated... it often leads to crashes.

During that first challenge with Grunty and the big nut, I built a large wall-storming platform on wheels that I pulled up beside her and latched on. I then grabbed the nut.

So much fun.

Top Bottom