• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

bottles said:
I love to think Rare has already started work on the next ‘true’ Banjo title, but Nuts & Bolts didn’t chart anywhere so I’d say chances of Banjo returning to his former glory are slim. And that makes me a very sad gamer. I’d be happy with another Conker, though. So many games to spoof...

If I remember correctly, Banjo-Kazooie on XBLA is selling fantastically though, so hopefully that'll convince Rare that we still want the Banjo-Threeie that we missed out on.

autobzooty said:
If I remember correctly, Banjo-Kazooie on XBLA is selling fantastically though, so hopefully that'll convince Rare that we still want the Banjo-Threeie that we missed out on.
Hopefully Banjo XBLA sold a lot more that Nuts and Bolts. If they return Banjo to normal platforming and call it Banjo-Threeie then I'll be one happy gamer :D

Finished the game with 131 jiggies today. Outside of a couple of really irritating missions (turret shooting in the terrarium and the domino race in the jiggaseum), I absolutely loved it.

It's been a long time since I've played a game that felt like it rewarded creative as much as this one does.

JSnake

Shadowlink123 said:
Hopefully Banjo XBLA sold a lot more that Nuts and Bolts. If they return Banjo to normal platforming and call it Banjo-Threeie then I'll be one happy gamer :D

I wouldn't mind Nuts & Bolts 2 with more traditional platforming.

JSnake said:

Eh, I either want vehicles to be the number 1 focus of the game or just not be in it at all. I don't like this 50/50 stuff.

And yes, if they called it Banjo-Threeie, the fanboy in me would wet himself a little bit.

JSnake said:
I wouldn't mind Nuts & Bolts 2 period.

Anything else would be like giving a prisoner a day off at the beach and then throwing him right the fuck back in jail 24 hours later.

I played some BK to try and get some of the Stop N Swop stuff, tried to get to the top of that one cavern to get the egg and I swear to christ I jumped up those little alcoves like forty times.

That is not fun.

The whole time I was like "Jesus, can't I just build a fucking helicopter?"

Don't listen to them, Rare. You can still get their money on XBLA.

JSnake said:
I just hope they use more platforming as in using more of Kazooie because they could of just took Kazooie out of Nuts and bolts and had Banjo hold the wrench. I wonder what they are thinking right now :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
If Rare fold into fan pressure and make Banjo Threeie instead of Nuts & Bolts 2 I'll be very, very pissed.

Nuts & Bolts is one of the best games of the year. It makes the original games look like shit. Utter shit.

Rez>You said:
If Rare fold into fan pressure and make Banjo Threeie instead of Nuts & Bolts 2 I'll be very, very pissed.

Nuts & Bolts is one of the best games of the year. It makes the original games look like shit. Utter shit.

128%. It would be such a weak move. And now that the games will be on XBLA, seriously, just play those if you miss them. Nuts & Bolts is goddamned fantastic.

Rez>You said:

I liked Nuts and bolts but that Statement................

picard-facepalm.jpg

BenjaminBirdie said:
Anything else would be like giving a prisoner a day off at the beach and then throwing him right the fuck back in jail 24 hours later.

I played some BK to try and get some of the Stop N Swop stuff, tried to get to the top of that one cavern to get the egg and I swear to christ I jumped up those little alcoves like forty times.

That is not fun.

nooo.jpg

NONONONONO

JSnake

Rez>You said:

You're right if talking about Kazooie. Tooie, though... I think that's just a bit better than N&B. They both blow Kazooie out of the water though.

FunkyMunkey said:
NONONONONO

Then explain to me how such arbitrary fucking gameplay is fun? Crammed in a fucking cave, with only ONE option. Hop from alcove to alcove. Compare it to Crackton, which I was just playing today. Limitless options for achieving platforming goals.

Please, don't go backwards into this pit of rigid platforming, Rare.

BenjaminBirdie said:

That is not fun.

Well the Stop n Swop egg in that cave was supposed to be ridiculous to reach (btw, good luck when you get to Click Clock Wood :lol ), but keep in mind, you weren't even supposed to get it until a good couple years after you finished the game. You'll have enough practice to be able to do that in your sleep by the time you finish the game.

Originally, I think Banjo-Tooie was supposed to give you the cheat codes to make the SnS items reachable by entering a rhyme in the sandcastle. This never happened, but the codes were found by hacking the game. In XBLA, the cave is already risen out of the ocean, but on N64, it wouldn't happen until you entered "Out of the sea it rises, to reveal more secret prizes!"

But I agree with you, those parts of the game are really shitty. Banjo is not, and never was a platforming game like everyone keeps saying. The worst parts of the game are the spots where you have to do precision jumping. The best part of the game is exploring the massive worlds that Rare created with an arsenal of silly moves. I think Rare realized this in Banjo-Tooie because there's a lot less of that nonsense. If they stuck to those ideas for Banjo-Threeie, I think you'd be surprised at how much you enjoy it.

DogWelder

Rare has already said they're committed to pushing this vehicle creation idea forward in the next Banjo. Besides, it's a premature to call Banjo a sales flop; who knows maybe it sells well over time a la R&C.
But I agree with you, those parts of the game are really shitty. Banjo is not, and never was a platforming game like everyone keeps saying. The worst parts of the game are the spots where you have to do precision jumping. The best part of the game is exploring the massive worlds that Rare created with an arsenal of silly moves. I think Rare realized this in Banjo-Tooie because there's a lot less of that nonsense. If they stuck to those ideas for Banjo-Threeie, I think you'd be surprised at how much you enjoy it.
Swimming is far worse.

1cesc said:
Rare has already said they're committed to pushing this vehicle creation idea forward in the next Banjo. Besides, it's a premature to call Banjo a sales flop; who knows maybe it sells well over time a la R&C.
Oh I forgot :(

1cesc said:

Sales and money will speak louder than Rare's alleged "commitment."

autobzooty said:
Well the Stop n Swop egg in that cave was supposed to be ridiculously silly to reach (btw, good luck when you get to Click Clock Wood :lol ), but keep in mind, you weren't even supposed to get it until a good couple years after you finished the game. You'll have enough practice to be able to do that in your sleep by the time you finish the game.

Originally, I think Banjo-Tooie was supposed to give you the cheat codes to make the SnS items reachable by entering a rhyme in the sandcastle. This never happened, but the codes were found by hacking the game. In XBLA, the cave is already risen out of the ocean, but on N64, it wouldn't happen until you entered "Out of the sea it rises, to reveal more secret prizes!"

Yeah, I mean, I don't have a tremendous beef with the game, but it's just not as engaging as Nuts & Bolts at all. I mean, obviously it's a bad move to play NB first and then expect to get much out of BK. I mean, you're already underwhelmed by the scope and then, man, I don't know. It's not bad by any means, but Nuts & Bolts just absolutely captivated me from the very start. It's really hard to go back from that.

And, man, who doesn't want to see
Grunty as a Rival LOG?

Just from the opening sequence, which instantly made LOG easily the best antagonist in gaming history, I don't know, man, it got me. I was sold. And everything fell into place from there. Nothing felt tacked on. It was all part and parcel with what Rare set out to do, deconstruct platform gaming and put the tools of their gameplay into your hands.

DogWelder

Shadowlink123 said:
Didn't Viva Pinata the first one sell over 1 million?
Hmm, perhaps eventually. According to the official Rare site it only "approached" a million long after it had already been discounted. George K. also said that MS was value pricing VP2 and BK because the first VP didn't have great sales (or return).

I don't want to sound like a jackass but I want Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts to fail in sales because to me I think it should go to how it used to be, a platformer and a competitor to Mario. Also I know a lot of people who didn't buy Nuts and Bolts because it was a vehicle based game. I mean who doesn't want a platforming 360 Banjo game, I know I do :D

Edit: I mean there are reasons why I want this game to sell because it's pretty good and there are reasons I don't want it to sell.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah, I mean, I don't have a tremendous beef with the game, but it's just not as engaging as Nuts & Bolts at all. I mean, obviously it's a bad move to play NB first and then expect to get much out of BK. I mean, you're already underwhelmed by the scope and then, man, I don't know. It's not bad by any means, but Nuts & Bolts just absolutely captivated me from the very start. It's really hard to go back from that.

And, man, who doesn't want to see
Grunty as a Rival LOG?

Just from the opening sequence, which instantly made LOG easily the best antagonist in gaming history, I don't know, man, it got me. I was sold. And everything fell into place from there. Nothing felt tacked on. It was all part and parcel with what Rare set out to do, deconstruct platform gaming and put the tools of their gameplay into your hands.

I would argue with you that the entire gameplay element of NaB felt tacked on except for in Showdown Town. You can only get a Jiggy by talking to someone, mucking about in some menus, and initiating a challenge. I would much prefer it if the challenges didn't feel so detached from the rest of the game, whereas in the original Banjo, each level felt like a complete and flowing experience.

Even if I was willing to say for a moment that I don't find vehicle out of place in a Banjo title (I do), I would much prefer it if I used the vehicles to do some tasks that are NOT on a time limit and that DON'T give me score when I'm done. Hide some jiggies through the level and let me build a vehicle that would be ideal for exploring a stage to find them. Maybe I'll stumble across a basketball dispenser and see a hoop somewhere. Then I'll go build a vehicle that would be capable of shooting those baskets (and if it needs to be more challenging, just start a clock as soon as I shoot my first basket instead of making me go through a menu and saying "on your mark, get set, go.") And for God's sake, put a limit on how much my vehicle can fly.

This is why I think NaB feels like a sort of disjointed experience. You have the moments when you are in a challenge, and the moments when you are not. If we get NaB2, I want this feeling to go away.

goldenpp72

get the fuck out of the N&B thread fucking N&B haters, go jerk off banjo kazooie in the banjo kazooie thread.

(I prefer banjo kazooie but love both)

Edit: typos

goldenpp72 said:
get the fuck out of the N&B thread fucking N&B haters, go jerk of banjo kazooie in the banjo kazooie thread.

pretty sure no one here hates or even dislikes nuts and bolts.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
goldenpp72 said:
get the fuck out of the N&B thread fucking N&B haters, go jerk of banjo kazooie in the banjo kazooie thread.

Chill out dude - everybody who is criticizing N&B has stated that they really like the game and they're justifying their clams. I see no "N&B haters." Just because we like it doesn't mean we have to be 100% positive about it 100% of the time.

As for the conversation, I pretty much agree with everything autobzooty said. I freakin' love the game, but there are some parts that really annoy me. And to me N&B isn't as good as BK & BT, but I'm pretty biased there.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
I said this earlier in the thread but as much as I ended up liking N&B there was no reason to take out the "platforming" moves from the first two games. Why not have the best of both worlds and keep the vehicle creation but give us back the Talon Trot, Feathery Flap and Rat-a-Tap Rap? It could mix up the challenges and give gamers another way to explore the worlds. I don't think you need to do all or nothing, especially with a game that welcomes different play styles.

Just a thought. I really hope we get a sequel regardless.

PSGames

BenjaminBirdie said:
128%. It would be such a weak move. And now that the games will be on XBLA, seriously, just play those if you miss them. Nuts & Bolts is goddamned fantastic.

There's room for both.

Dupy said:
I said this earlier in the thread but as much as I ended up liking N&B there was no reason to take out the "platforming" moves from the first two games. Why not have the best of both worlds and keep the vehicle creation but give us back the Talon Trot, Feathery Flap and Rat-a-Tap Rap? It could mix up the challenges and give gamers another way to explore the worlds. I don't think you need to do all or nothing, especially with a game that welcomes different play styles.

Just a thought. I really hope we get a sequel regardless.

Yeah, even if it was totally arbitrary, I wouldn't have minded something to make Kazooie feel less useless. But I still wouldn't really like a hybrid game like that. I think they should focus their energies on one thing or the other.

goldenpp72

autobzooty said:
pretty sure no one here hates or even dislikes nuts and bolts.

If you're saying you want a banjo threeie sequel and not nuts and bolts then it belong in the banjo kazooie thread as far as im concerned. This should be a topic about discussing the game banjo kazooie: nuts and bolts not wah wah I want banjo threeie.

I want banjo threeie too but I wouldnt mind a nuts and bolts 2 if they expand on the premise.

tak

Does anyone know what the current sell through of N&B is? I haven't heard any sales data on it for a long time.

goldenpp72 said:
If you're saying you want a banjo threeie sequel and not nuts and bolts then it belong in the banjo kazooie thread as far as im concerned. This should be a topic about discussing the game banjo kazooie: nuts and bolts not wah wah I want banjo threeie.

I want banjo threeie too but I wouldnt mind a nuts and bolts 2 if they expand on the premise.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14099711&postcount=2625

I actually AM discussing n&b.

Also I beat N&B 100% because I got so obsessed with it. I like the game, okay? But my opinions aren't totally black and white.

bottles

BenjaminBirdie said:

That is not fun.

You may not understand where I’m coming from because you didn’t play the classic Banjos on N64. For you, Nuts & Bolts is the ‘real’ Banjo. I understand that. The way I see it, however, is they took the Banjo universe and forced it into a different direction. (Who knows, Microsoft may have forced them to use the IP the way Nintendo forced Star Fox on Dinosaur Planet.)

But now suddenly 3D platformers à la Banjo-Kazooie (the ten year-old game you are criticizing) and Banjo-Tooie are archaic? That’s nonsense. Did you play Super Mario Galaxy?

That’s not to say Nuts & Bolts was bad. I liked it. I hope for you that Rare makes Nuts & Bolts 2, only without the Banjo cast. Platformers are not dead. Give me Banjo-Threeie any day.

bottles said:
You may not understand where I’m coming from because you didn’t play the classic Banjos on N64. For you, Nuts & Bolts is the ‘real’ Banjo. I understand that. The way I see it, however, is they took the Banjo universe and forced it into a different direction. (Who knows, Microsoft may have forced them to use the IP the way Nintendo forced Star Fox on Dinosaur Planet.)

But now suddenly 3D platformers à la Banjo-Kazooie (the ten year-old game you are criticizing) and Banjo-Tooie are archaic? That’s nonsense. Did you play Super Mario Galaxy?

That’s not to say Nuts & Bolts was bad. I liked it. I hope for you that Rare makes Nuts & Bolts 2, only without the Banjo cast. Platformers are not dead. Give me Banjo-Threeie any day.

Without the Banjo cast? Are you serious? That's like (and granted the movie was fucking shit) that new Brady Bunch Movie, the one that was a complete send up of the original Brady Bunch, starring a Grady family instead.

The core of the game's enjoyment comes from Banjo and Kazooie as characters and LOG co-opting their experience.

This is what makes no sense to me. When BK fans say stuff like this. "Keep Banjo and Kazooie out of this strange and alien game."

And no, I didn't play SMG.

bottles

BenjaminBirdie said:
Without the Banjo cast? Are you serious? That's like (and granted the movie was fucking shit) that new Brady Bunch Movie, the one that was a complete send up of the original Brady Bunch, starring a Grady family instead.

The core of the game's enjoyment comes from Banjo and Kazooie as characters and LOG co-opting their experience.

This is what makes no sense to me. When BK fans say stuff like this. "Keep Banjo and Kazooie out of this strange and alien game."

It’s not like it wouldn’t have had a sense of humour if Banjo and co. hadn’t been in it. Try Conker’s Bad Fur Day, for instance.

You should play Super Mario Galaxy. It proves that 3D platforming, if done right, can be as modern a gaming experience as any.

BenjaminBirdie said:

I think a lot of BK fans just think that the vehicle idea is a bad fit for the Banjo-Kazooie franchise. IMO, a lot of the charm of the old games was all the neat things you could do if Banjo and Kazooie work together and combine their natural abilities. Maybe it's also because every character is an animal except the antagonist and gives it that sorta cliche "animals saving the forest" feeling. But in Banjo-Tooie, the ultimate goal of the game was to stop the witches from using their mechanical monstrosities to destroy the land. Makes it seem weird that Banjo and Kazooie can now build their very own Hag1.

Or perhaps I'm over thinking things. :lol :lol

bottles

autobzooty said:
I think a lot of BK fans just think that the vehicle idea is a bad fit for the Banjo-Kazooie franchise. IMO, a lot of the charm of the old games was all the neat things you could do if Banjo and Kazooie work together and combine their natural abilities. Maybe it's also because every character is an animal except the antagonist and gives it that sorta cliche "animals saving the forest" feeling. But in Banjo-Tooie, the ultimate goal of the game was to stop the witches from using their mechanical monstrosities to destroy the land. Makes it seem weird that Banjo and Kazooie can now build their very own Hag1.

Or perhaps I'm over thinking things. :lol :lol

A bit, perhaps. ;)

Kazooie is totally useless now. She used to be the ‘vehicles’, if you will, in the classic games. Now, she’s only there for the witty remarks – and yes, I know that’s part of Nuts & Bolts's charm.

Yeah, I really don't get what either of you are talking about.

The key to Nuts & Bolts core enjoyment, the impetus of the entire game and the player's motivation to play it, is that these classic platform stars have had their move sets replaced by the rules and whims of LOG.

I guess if another team had designed it it wouldn't have Banjo or Kazooie in it, and you'd be safe...? I guess...?

But it's Rare's game, Banjo and Kazooie are their characters, this is what they wanted to do with them. It's not like a Tennis spin off or something.

bottles

BenjaminBirdie said:

The key to Nuts & Bolts core enjoyment, the impetus of the entire game and the player's motivation to play it, is that these classic platform stars have had their move sets replaced by the rules and whims of LOG.

I guess if another team had designed it it wouldn't have Banjo or Kazooie in it, and you'd be safe...? I guess...?

But it's Rare's game, Banjo and Kazooie are their characters, this is what they wanted to do with them. It's not like a Tennis spin off or something.

But that’s just the background story. It makes for some funny dialogue, but that’s it.

bottles said:
But that’s just the background story. It makes for some funny dialogue, but that’s it.

Background story? Every time an enemy is killed or you deliver something into a zone it dissipates into pixels. It's literally the framework for everything you're doing in every challenge.

bottles

BenjaminBirdie said:
Background story? Every time an enemy is killed or you deliver something into a zone it dissipates into pixels. It's literally the framework for everything you're doing in every challenge.

It’s just looks. It doesn’t affect the gameplay. We’re talking about completely different aspects here.

BenjaminBirdie said:

Yeah, I mean, I wouldn't be upset at all if it wasn't Banjo-Kazooie. I still love the game, but for 8 years I waited for the next Banjo game and I was just really hopeful that it would be the same thing on a much larger and prettier scale. Not only did I not get that game, but now there's a chance that I never will, if Rare keeps pursuing this vehicle stuff.

I would hate to see this vehicle idea die off because I really really enjoy it, but if I have to choose between traditional Banjo adventuring and this new vehicle stuff, the choice is quite easy for me.

Here's what I want: Tiptup's Nuts and Bolts and Banjo-Threeie

I think this would make everyone very happy. Tiptup exists in the same universe as Banjo and Kazooie, so I think that the charm would still easily be there (hell, it could and should run on the same engine, including the voices and text bubbles), and Tiptup always felt like kind of a mechanic guy since he was in Diddy Kong Racing and his cars always fell apart. :lol

6nxpuq.jpg

Okay, so follow-up from last night, apparently uninstall/reinstall did the trick, and the game works fine now. I spent an hour tonight creating a giant cheeseburger on wheels for lulz (and the Speedy Colossus achievement). As soon as Rare gets the online photo upload tool going, I'll post a pic :D

I'll be down for some MP eventually. Gamertag's in my profile. Just say you're from GAF.

Sydle

autobzooty said:
Yeah, I mean, I wouldn't be upset at all if it wasn't Banjo-Kazooie. I still love the game, but for 8 years I waited for the next Banjo game and I was just really hopeful that it would be the same thing on a much larger and prettier scale. Not only did I not get that game, but now there's a chance that I never will, if Rare keeps pursuing this vehicle stuff.

I would hate to see this vehicle idea die off because I really really enjoy it, but if I have to choose between traditional Banjo adventuring and this new vehicle stuff, the choice is quite easy for me.

Here's what I want: Tiptup's Nuts and Bolts and Banjo-Threeie

I think this would make everyone very happy. Tiptup exists in the same universe as Banjo and Kazooie, so I think that the charm would still easily be there (hell, it could and should run on the same engine, including the voices and text bubbles), and Tiptup always felt like kind of a mechanic guy since he was in Diddy Kong Racing and his cars always fell apart. :lol

6nxpuq.jpg

No, thanks. Tiptup can die in a fire.

I'm fine with the direction they've taken the series, but I would like to see a better mix vehicle and non-vehicle platforming.

Negatronic said:
Okay, so follow-up from last night, apparently uninstall/reinstall did the trick, and the game works fine now. I spent an hour tonight creating a giant cheeseburger on wheels for lulz (and the Speedy Colossus achievement). As soon as Rare gets the online photo upload tool going, I'll post a pic :D

I'll be down for some MP eventually. Gamertag's in my profile. Just say you're from GAF.

The photo uploader has been up for a long time.

Take a screenshot in the game, go to your photo album, press y to upload it. then when you go to banjo-kazooie.com, your uploaded photos will show up on your account. I recommend downloading them at full res and rehosting them yourself to get the most out of em. Plus you can only upload 10 photos at a time to your account.

Paco said:
No, thanks. Tiptup can die in a fire.

I think they could make it work with T.T. though.

T.T. has some of the worst character design I've seen in years. He is by far the worst part about N&B.

Unless you mean....
x0pquf.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Sydle

autobzooty said:
The photo uploader has been up for a long time.

Take a screenshot in the game, go to your photo album, press y to upload it. then when you go to banjo-kazooie.com, your uploaded photos will show up on your account. I recommend downloading them at full res and rehosting them yourself to get the most out of em. Plus you can only upload 10 photos at a time to your account.

T.T. has some of the worst character design I've seen in years. He is by far the worst part about N&B.

:|

Well I liked him well enough.

EDIT: LOL, forgot about him.

Top Bottom