• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
diffusionx said:
Given that N&B is a hugely enjoyable, original, beautiful game that can stand on its own, I'll take it. For now its my fave of 2008.
Mine too :D

yikes, benjaminbirdie is getting WAY too much hatred just for liking N&B.

I see the point he and some others are making and I think they're partially correct. Many jiggies in the classic Banjo games were spawned right in front of you once you completed a challenge, just like in N&B. The major difference is, though, you have to FIND the challenge for yourself, and this exploration element was half the game.

So there's a giant boulder in front of a door. You gotta find a way to destroy that boulder (by using the moves you have, the environment around you, or a special transformation) so you can get into that door. After you get into the door, you wind around a labyrinth of dimly lit hallways until you come to an opening where someone asks you to go and defeat so many enemies. Yes, defeating the enemies was the "mini game" here, but it was hardly the only thing you had to do to get the jiggy. By the way, that is a real example of a jiggy from Banjo-Tooie's Glitter Gulch Mine.

I can see the effort Rare made to translate the original gameplay into a vehicular version, but I think it's a little more complicated than "replace talon trot with high grip tires."

btw, benjaminbirdie, i'd love to go online with you on N&B sometime. My gamertag is autobzooty123.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
If the next BK is like the N64 games, I will cry. Those games still exist and are still good. We don't have enough games like N&B.

we don't have enough games like BK, either.

NOW CHOOSE A SIDE, WE'RE AT WAR.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I'm getting a little tired of this debate or whatever it is. I'm just going to play the freakin' game : )

bottles

Sorry guys, but you’ve obviously misread my post. I wasn’t using the ‘I’m a real fan’ argument. I can’t believe I’m actually going to have to explain this you, but here’s what BenjaminBirdie posted:

BenjaminBirdie said:
Like I said, plenty of reasons to dislike the core gameplay of Nuts & Bolts, but you keep finding ones that are barely any different from their BK counterparts.

And here’s what I posted:

bottles said:
I'm a long-time Banjo fan. I know what I like about the old games, and my main gripes with Nuts & Bolts are the ones I’ve outlined in this thread. Can’t help it.

So, what I was obviously trying to say was that since I have way more experience playing the original Banjos than BenjaminBirdie, I’m probably the better judge on deciding which of the aspects that I dislike about Nuts & Bolts differ from their Banjo-Kazooie counterparts. That’s logic, not arrogance.

autobzooty is spot on again, IMO. But BenjaminBirdie is not getting any ‘hatred’. He’s just defending a seriously flawed game to some nostalgic real fans.

bottles said:
Sorry guys, but you’ve obviously misread my post. I wasn’t using the ‘I’m a real fan’ argument. I can’t believe I’m actually going to have to explain this you, but here’s what BenjaminBirdie posted:

And here’s what I posted:

So, what I was obviously trying to say was that since I have way more experience playing the original Banjos than BenjaminBirdie, I’m probably the better judge on deciding which of the aspects that I dislike about Nuts & Bolts differ from their Banjo-Kazooie counterparts. That’s logic, not arrogance.

autobzooty is spot on again, IMO. But BenjaminBirdie is not getting any ‘hatred’. He’s just defending a seriously flawed game to some nostalgic real fans.

N&B is not flawed, just drastically different from typical Banjo games. There's nothing WRONG with it and it's still great fun. I personally prefer the classic style of gameplay, but that didn't stop me from collecting every note and every jiggy in N&B, and it wouldn't stop me from buying another Banjo-Kazooie vehicle game, either.

bottles said:
It’s a flawed Banjo game to me. The concept is great, but its execution is poor. We’ve been over this.

But that subjectivity is critical. For what it sets out to do it is in no way flawed in the slightest regard.

bottles

We’ve been over all of this before, but I have to disagree here. The concept for Nuts & Bolts is great in and of itself, but Rare really took the easy way out by adding the radar – effectively removing any incentive to explore – and recycling mini-games. I think Nuts & Bolts is seriously flawed due to poor design choices like these. But of course it’s subjective.

I also think Nuts & Bolts has a lot of wasted potential. Why are the worlds so empty? Where are the environment puzzles? The platforming-with-vehicles that I had expected (after all, BK is supposed to be a platformer)? Then again, Nuts & Bolts is in a subgenre of its own, and perhaps developers just need multiple tries to flesh out subgenres. Mirror’s Edge, which is in another subgenre, is also flawed, but the sequel should be much better.

I think we’ve said all there is to say in this debate, and frankly, I’m getting tired of it. As I’ve said before, I can see why you love the game, especially given the fact that you didn't play (much of) the original Banjo games for N64. I hope I’m not the resident Nuts & Bolts hater now, because I do like the game for what it is. Ultimately, though, I think the concept just doesn’t suit the Banjo universe, and that it’s too much of a mixed bag to ever be considered a contender for the Game of the Year title.

Chris R

Saucer of Peril is really hard :( I didn't do it when I first visited the world, just tried it today. Went from a 217 score to 307 but didn't want to do another run after that. I'll get it eventually though.

I've pretty much finished the game now, think I have about 4 Jiggy's left to get but there are some challenges on Terrarium that I'm sure I won't be getting TT's in.... and of course Saucer of Peril.

Loved the game, last time I had this much unbridled fun with a game was probably Crackdown, and I'm sure many of you can appreciate that's pretty high praise :). I loved the vehicle creation aspect of the game, no doubt my upbringing on all things Lego contributed to that. The humour was genuinely funny, graphics were top notch and the game did not overstay its welcome. I know some moan about the repetitive nature of the challenges but I never felt that whilst playing. There was enough variety at the right moments with some inspired challenges, especially in the Jiggoseum. (although some of the Jinjo challenges did get a bit laboured, especially after you've created the perfect vehicle for each event)

However, if I was going to make a complaint it would be about some of the level design, specifically Logbox and Terrarium. I really enjoyed Banjoland and Nutty Acres as they gave players the opportunity to put their vehicles to the test in a variety of ways, not to mention the large open spaces meant you could have a lot of fun building faster and faster vehicles and putting them to the test. By the time I got to Terrarium I had found the majority of the car parts so naturally I was building bigger, better and more badass vehicles, but was disappointed to find that the level was so claustrophobic and cluttered. Rather than being given the freedom to create and drive my advanced creations I was having to scale back the designs as there was simply so much stuff around the level to avoid. Some may make the argument that it encouraged better driving/flying but this isn't Forza 2, its a bird and a bear making vehicles out of parts that are suspiciously cube shaped. Terrarium, as the last challenge world, should have been large, open and tested players on the air, land and sea. Instead there was a terrain that belongs in a rally game, too many obstacles to make flying fun and a token amount of water just to check all the boxes. Terrarium was a joy to look at an admire, but my love for the world ended on the aesthetic level. I ended up going back to Banjoland and Nutty Acres to complete my TT quests as there was simply more fun to be had with my jet-powered BikePlane :)

Still, it ranks as one of my favourite games this year, and I'd definitely like to see a return to the Nuts and Bolts franchise, but next time with some bigger and more open levels to play about in (I wouldn't mind seeing a waterworld as well)

Oh...DLC would be very welcome for the game.

bottles

sionyboy said:
I really enjoyed Banjoland and Nutty Acres

Banjoland is the best world outside of Showdown Town. It’s the only world that I explored mostly by car as there’s so much to see for fans of the previous Banjo games. Loved it.

Did anyone else equip every vehicle with the stereo, by the way? The challenge music got old really fast, so I just played the Freezeezy Peak theme all the time.

TTG

sionyboy said:
I've pretty much finished the game now, think I have about 4 Jiggy's left to get but there are some challenges on Terrarium that I'm sure I won't be getting TT's in.... and of course Saucer of Peril.

Loved the game, last time I had this much unbridled fun with a game was probably Crackdown, and I'm sure many of you can appreciate that's pretty high praise :). I loved the vehicle creation aspect of the game, no doubt my upbringing on all things Lego contributed to that. The humour was genuinely funny, graphics were top notch and the game did not overstay its welcome. I know some moan about the repetitive nature of the challenges but I never felt that whilst playing. There was enough variety at the right moments with some inspired challenges, especially in the Jiggoseum. (although some of the Jinjo challenges did get a bit laboured, especially after you've created the perfect vehicle for each event)

However, if I was going to make a complaint it would be about some of the level design, specifically Logbox and Terrarium. I really enjoyed Banjoland and Nutty Acres as they gave players the opportunity to put their vehicles to the test in a variety of ways, not to mention the large open spaces meant you could have a lot of fun building faster and faster vehicles and putting them to the test. By the time I got to Terrarium I had found the majority of the car parts so naturally I was building bigger, better and more badass vehicles, but was disappointed to find that the level was so claustrophobic and cluttered. Rather than being given the freedom to create and drive my advanced creations I was having to scale back the designs as there was simply so much stuff around the level to avoid. Some may make the argument that it encouraged better driving/flying but this isn't Forza 2, its a bird and a bear making vehicles out of parts that are suspiciously cube shaped. Terrarium, as the last challenge world, should have been large, open and tested players on the air, land and sea. Instead there was a terrain that belongs in a rally game, too many obstacles to make flying fun and a token amount of water just to check all the boxes. Terrarium was a joy to look at an admire, but my love for the world ended on the aesthetic level. I ended up going back to Banjoland and Nutty Acres to complete my TT quests as there was simply more fun to be had with my jet-powered BikePlane :)

Still, it ranks as one of my favourite games this year, and I'd definitely like to see a return to the Nuts and Bolts franchise, but next time with some bigger and more open levels to play about in (I wouldn't mind seeing a waterworld as well)

Oh...DLC would be very welcome for the game.

Agreed on a lot of points. I wish the Jiggossium world had an extra 20 challenges or so that required some of my more advanced creations. I suppose that's what the multiplayer is for, but I never gave it a try.

Xav

As a long time Banjo fan I have to say I'm loving Nuts & Bolts but only as a spin off. When Rare tries to tell me it's Banjo 3 that's when things go bad. I don't like entering the worlds and beng shown where the Jiggy pieces are... or the fact you have to talk to characters to activate missions.
I'd like it if some of the Jigsaw pieces were hidden like having one at the top of the stage meaning only a flying vechicle could get it or maybe a jigsaw piece inside a house which could only be broken if you build a vechicle strong enough to smash it.
Never thought I'd say this about a Banjo game but this game is a hidden gem and while the world is talking about Gears of War 2, GTA IV I think this little gem just might be my Game of the Year. Yes Rare are back and for the love of god Rare you've got to do DLC for this game, just give me more pieces to work with.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Text patch, yay! Nuts & Bolts, nay!
I just spent about 2 hours with the game, and I've gotta say, I'm not enjoying it at all.
Also, it looks like since I decided to restart my game, (now that I can read the intro text and whatnot), I got "desync'ed" with my BK XBLA save, so none of my Stop N Swop goodies are showing up. I guess I'll have to re-collect them in BK1? Is that even possible?

Fuck.

Xav said:
As a long time Banjo fan I have to say I'm loving Nuts & Bolts but only as a spin off. When Rare tries to tell me it's Banjo 3 that's when things go bad. I don't like entering the worlds and beng shown where the Jiggy pieces are... or the fact you have to talk to characters to activate missions.
I'd like it if some of the Jigsaw pieces were hidden like having one at the top of the stage meaning only a flying vechicle could get it or maybe a jigsaw piece inside a house which could only be broken if you build a vechicle strong enough to smash it.
Never thought I'd say this about a Banjo game but this game is a hidden gem and while the world is talking about Gears of War 2, GTA IV I think this little gem just might be my Game of the Year. Yes Rare are back and for the love of god Rare you've got to do DLC for this game, just give me more pieces to work with.
Exactly my thoughts :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
BenjaminBirdie said:
I keep trying to get past this, but every time someone says the game would be awesome if the characters were different, the folds in my fucking brain start to collapse.
Ditto.

Everdred

So a few days ago I really got into the game I was like "OMG Nuts and Bolts is the best!" I'm on the 4th world now and it's begining to become tiresome. I love the building and the levels are simply beautiful, I just wish it were executed differently. A few people have mentioned how they hate the challenge setup and I agree. It really doesn't make you discover the beauty of the levels. I feel like I'm just doing the same challenge over and over in a different location. There were a few stand out challenges that were really great but I really dislike the kill these guys/protect this and all the races. Maybe my problem is that I'm trying to collect everything from the get go. Maybe I should just go for puzzle pieces or something. There should be different ways to activate activities than talking to NPCs. I especially hate looking for the coin NPC (whatever those creatures are called) activities.

Don't get me wrong though, I really enjoyed my first 6 or so hours.

bottles

BenjaminBirdie said:
I keep trying to get past this, but every time someone says the game would be awesome if the characters were different, the folds in my fucking brain start to collapse.

I think you’re just misinterpreting these posts. For the most part, the game is being judged on its own merits. It does, however, come with certain expectations since it uses the Banjo IP. While Nuts & Bolts is a decent game in and of itself, it’s a letdown as the next main Banjo-Kazooie adventure. Makes sense, right?

strange_booj said:
So a few days ago I really got into the game I was like "OMG Nuts and Bolts is the best!" I'm on the 4th world now and it's begining to become tiresome. I love the building and the levels are simply beautiful, I just wish it were executed differently. A few people have mentioned how they hate the challenge setup and I agree. It really doesn't make you discover the beauty of the levels. I feel like I'm just doing the same challenge over and over in a different location. There were a few stand out challenges that were really great but I really dislike the kill these guys/protect this and all the races. Maybe my problem is that I'm trying to collect everything from the get go. Maybe I should just go for puzzle pieces or something. There should be different ways to activate activities than talking to NPCs. I especially hate looking for the coin NPC (whatever those creatures are called) activities.

Don't get me wrong though, I really enjoyed my first 6 or so hours.

Welcome to the club. But yeah, use the Spec-O-Spy...

bottles said:
I think you’re just misinterpreting these posts. For the most part, the game is being judged on its own merits. It does, however, come with certain expectations since it uses the Banjo IP. While Nuts & Bolts is a decent game in and of itself, it’s a letdown as the next main Banjo-Kazooie adventure. Makes sense, right?

Why do those expectations go beyond:
a) Humor
b) Ingenuity

This is my question. No one plays Mario Luigi Superstar Saga and asks why they're not jumping up and down in a two dimensional plane.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
BenjaminBirdie said:
This is my question. No one plays Mario Luigi Superstar Saga and asks why they're not jumping up and down in a two dimensional plane.
This sentence has to be some kind of trap. It's too easy to pull apart. :p

bottles

BenjaminBirdie said:
Why do those expectations go beyond:
a) Humor
b) Ingenuity

Why did I expect Banjo 3 to be a platformer? Don’t you expect the next Elder Scrolls to be an RPG?

Obviously, the difference between Superstar Saga and Nuts & Bolts is that the former is a spin-off. Nintendo uses the Mario cast for many a spin-off, but they’ve continued making the traditional adventures: Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy (which is the pinnacle of modern 3D platforming). Rare has basically said that Nuts & Bolts is Banjo 3, and some fans, including yours truly, are just disappointed because they think they’ll never play another true Banjo platformer.

SpokkX

All this talk of a platformer has me confused sonce only 1 out of 3 console Banjo games have been pure platformers

Banjo 1 was a platformer ableit with not that much jumping as Mario 64.

Banjo 2 was a mix of genres with some platforming sure

Banjo 3 is a mix of genres with even less platforming

After replaying Banjo 1 on XbLive I must say that I am glad Banjo went with the vehicle creation. Banjo 1 is not really that much fun. It was good 1998 but the gameplay doesn´t hold up to Mario 64. Not even close

Banjo Nuts and Bolts is one of the best games this generation imo

Banjo 3 >>>>>>>>> Banjo 1 >>> Banjo 2

fisheyes

sionyboy said:
Put the Spec-O-Spy part on your vehicle, it locates the Jinjo challenges and puts their location on the map.

How the fuck does this thing work? I use it, the view goes first person and occasionally begins shaking. What am I supposed to be doing?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
fisheyes said:
How the fuck does this thing work? I use it, the view goes first person and occasionally begins shaking. What am I supposed to be doing?
I have no idea what's up with that either, I'd like to know. But what I do know is it adds markers on your map for Jingos. You don't need to actually "use" (as in, press a button) it.

bottles

SpokkX said:
All this talk of a platformer has me confused sonce only 1 out of 3 console Banjo games have been pure platformers

Banjo 1 was a platformer ableit with not that much jumping as Mario 64.

Banjo 2 was a mix of genres with some platforming sure

Banjo 3 is a mix of genres with even less platforming

After replaying Banjo 1 on XbLive I must say that I am glad Banjo went with the vehicle creation. Banjo 1 is not really that much fun. It was good 1998 but the gameplay doesn´t hold up to Mario 64. Not even close

Banjo Nuts and Bolts is one of the best games this generation imo

Banjo 3 >>>>>>>>> Banjo 1 >>> Banjo 2

The third game is Nuts & Bolts, so that doesn’t count. Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie were alike.

Granted, Banjo was never a pure platformer à la Super Mario 64. There were always some adventure elements, but both BK and BT are generally considered platformers.

Rez>You said:
I have no idea what's up with that either, I'd like to know. But what I do know is it adds markers on your map for Jingos. You don't need to actually "use" (as in, press a button) it.

Yeah, you don't have to activate it. Just check your radar.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
BenjaminBirdie said:
Why are you calling it Banjo Thr...oh, forget it.
I'm at the "ah fuck it" stage of this thread too.

Dabanton

Littleberu said:
Nintendo fans, you know...

I was going to say that if this was on a Nintendo machine i feel certain posters would be a bit more open minded. But that could be seen as incitement... ;)

So i'll just say the game is fantastic.:D

Chrange

Banned
Why are people even bothering to argue once the "real fans" card got played? People who were never going to give it a chance don't like the game....BIG FUCKING SURPRISE.

Chrange said:
Why are people even bothering to argue once the "real fans" card got played? People who were never going to give it a chance don't like the game....BIG FUCKING SURPRISE.
I actually gave it a chance to see if it was good but I loved the old gameplay :(

Zoso

This game is a fucking blast. I'm 15 hours in with 25 jiggies. I'm taking my time with this one - It's the perfect game to play in between other games.
bottles said:
Nobody wants to argue anymore. Let's pretend to be mature and just accept that some people have different opinions and that they're all perfectly valid.

Haters are hatin' simply because of the name. Understandable if you can't look past it, so I'm not saying you haters are wrong.

It's like this: Let's call Banjo-Kazooie Apple Pie. Then comes along Banjo-Tooie which is Bluberry Pie. Now everyone is looking forward to whatever new pie might be invented. A new pie enters... sort of. See this pie is actually a juicy steak, but instead of calling it steak they decide to name it Pumpkin Pie. So all of the pie-lovers take a bite expecting something sweet and sumptuous but have their expectations violated in the form of something juicy and meaty. "This is the worst pie I've ever tasted!" they cry out. Someone else responds "yeah I don't know why they called this a pie, but it's a damn good steak!". "You're just saying that because you've barely tasted any apple pie" the haters retort. They continue to argue until both sides decide to give up. And they all live disgruntled..ly ever after.

The End.

Zoso

That was actually pretty good jetpacks was yes - I enjoyed it :D

Top Bottom