• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

has anyone thrown a multiplayer party in this thread yet? i really like all the multiplayer games, but it's so hard to get a match and none of the people on my tiny friend list were man enough to buy this game.

Chris R

Traumahound said:
Finished the game with 131 jiggies today. Outside of a couple of really irritating missions (turret shooting in the terrarium and the domino race in the jiggaseum), I absolutely loved it.

It's been a long time since I've played a game that felt like it rewarded creative as much as this one does.
Domino race was simple if you flip your controller upside down so the steering remains the same. I just had to do it three times because I'd fall off the path at the 2nd to last turn :lol

I'm almost at full jiggies, but doubt I'll ever get full notes unless there is a note for note guide :lol Got mostly terrarium stuff left, it is my least favorite level, because I enjoy flying the most, and its just really tight.

Sydle

autobzooty said:
has anyone thrown a multiplayer party in this thread yet? i really like all the multiplayer games, but it's so hard to get a match and none of the people on my tiny friend list were man enough to buy this game.

Haven't been playing multi-player, but I'm up for a few games over the holiday. My gamertag is Sydle.

Nuts and Bolts is awesome, but so is Bano 1&2. If I had a choice I would rather they make Banjo threeie and use Nuts and Bolts as its own series, make it more "The Lord of Games" series instead of a banjo series. Maybe now that he's done banjo have him pull in Conker or any of Rare's other characters for a competition. I mean he is the Lord of all games right?

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I know it's already been said a million times, but the whole vehicle aspect really doesn't fit Banjo Kazooie and I don't see how Rare ever thought it was a great idea. It's a great spinoff(which perhaps that's what N&B is?) but to come back after 8 years and deliver this is a pretty big blow to the longtime fans. Please note that I still really enjoy N&B and think it's a great game, but it still feels wrong as a Banjo game. I know it's been said over and over, so sorry for repeating it.

Zoso said:
I know it's already been said a million times, but the whole vehicle aspect really doesn't fit Banjo Kazooie and I don't see how Rare ever thought it was a great idea. It's a great spinoff(which perhaps that's what N&B is?) but to come back after 8 years and deliver this is a pretty big blow to the longtime fans. Please note that I still really enjoy N&B and think it's a great game, but it still feels wrong as a Banjo game. I know it's been said over and over, so sorry for repeating it.

It's been said, but not by enough people. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who feels that even though it's wicked fun, it's still not right for Banjo-Kazooie.

Surfheart

I have a Wii only owning friend who I showed Nuts and Bolts to on the weekend. He noticed some grass pop-in on the attract flyover at the start and wondered "How me and my friends can enjoy games like these on the 360 and Ps3 when the visuals are so flawed"

I was pretty speechless. Yes he was dead serious.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Surfheart said:
I have a Wii only owning friend who I showed Nuts and Bolts to on the weekend. He noticed some grass pop-in on the attract flyover at the start and wondered "How me and my friends can enjoy games like these on the 360 and Ps3 when the visuals are so flawed"

I was pretty speechless. Yes he was dead serious.
:lol that's pretty funny. There's definitely some pop-in when they do those flyover shots, but Nuts & Bolts is pretty much the best looking game I've played so far.

why does the Banjo universe have to be used exclusively for one genre of game? i am interested in Rare expanding on the vehicle building concept while also pursuing a new platformer. if anything, attaching the Banjo license to N&B gives the franchise greater visibility and increases the likelihood of success for future BK games. one look at Nintendo shows how well this model can work.

some of the people in here seem a little too nostalgia-driven. i loved the originals as much as anybody, but N&B is a step forward for all of gaming. and that bottles poster? if he's not the joke account of a clever mod like i suspect, he probably writes Bamjo fanfiction.

TTG

Zoso said:

I think it's pretty clear. They had the idea for the vehicle based game first and foremost. From there it was either Rare that decided to bring back a classic instead of making a brand new IP or MS thought it would sell better with Banjo behind it.

The people that are complaining now are the same people that would be complaining if this vehicle based platformer was set in its own universe. They would just change their tune to "stop giving me this new crap I don't want and bring back Banjo"

Zoso

I'm all for Rare continuing N&B while also making a more traditional platforming game. Like I said earlier, N&B is a terrific "spin-off" and it has a crapload of potential to expand on. I think the reason oldtime Banjo fans are worried is because they don't know if Rare will ever take Banjo back to traditional platforming. N&B could be the final frontier.

As a side note, I never like telling Rare(or any developer, for that matter) what to do, because I feel like a whining little bitch who will never be happy with their products. I feel like I should just trust them and they'll make the right decisions. But it still shocks me that they had planned to take Banjo in this direction for a while now. The feeling I have is similar to seeing a franchise that you care about made into a major motion picture. You hear that so-and-so from said franchise is involved and so you're confident that they'll remain faithful to the original material, but then when it comes out it's just completely not what you and most every other fan of the franchise were hoping for. Then you feel betrayed and so on and so forth. I'm pretty sure most everybody on GAF has been in that position before. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not trying to be a whiny annoying bitch, I'm just trying to share my thoughts on Rare's direction of N&B, and my thoughts hardly matter, so please feel free to disagree.

Also, I'm getting tired of putting this disclaimer on my posts, but N&B the actual game has been even better than I thought it would be and has really surprised me with how great of a game it is. I take more of an issue with it being right game for Banjo. Sorry that my post was long and rather meaningless - I kind of lost track of what I was trying to say.

TTG said:
I think it's pretty clear. They had the idea for the vehicle based game first and foremost. From there it was either Rare that decided to bring back a classic instead of making a brand new IP or MS thought it would sell better with Banjo behind it.

The people that are complaining now are the same people that would be complaining if this vehicle based platformer was set in its own universe. They would just change their tune to "stop giving me this new crap I don't want and bring back Banjo"

Actually, they started making a new Banjo game first, going for a classic Banjo Adventure. That was when they redesigned Spiral Mountain, too. They started out doing that, experimenting and such... and then they decided that they didn't want to do 'yet another' 3D platformer and they felt they'd struggle to best Galaxy, so they threw around a bunch of new concepts for the game. Vehicles was one of them and it came to fruition.

I agree with what you say about the people complaining. They'd be complaining anyway. It's Banjo characters, it's Banjo Worlds, it's Banjo Music, Banjo Humour, Banjo Story and YES, it is Banjo Gameplay, just with a different hook - vehicle parts instead of moves, retractable wings and propellers instead of 'Flight Pads', big engined race cars instead of Talon Trot etc etc.

I think with the response to this game - which is those that have actually bothered to play it love it but even some of them still call out for 'old Banjo,' Rare will do another Banjo game and it'll be somewhere between.

The wrench will stay but Banjo and Kazooie will also have (some of) their moves back. There'll be a couple of worlds where you can only use vehicles, a couple where you can only use moves, and the majority will allow you to use both, with a variety of jiggies within reach with each, but to max out you'll have to make clever use of both.

Zoso

APZonerunner said:
I agree with what you say about the people complaining. They'd be complaining anyway. It's Banjo characters, it's Banjo Worlds, it's Banjo Music, Banjo Humour, Banjo Story and YES, it is Banjo Gameplay, just with a different hook - vehicle parts instead of moves, retractable wings and propellers instead of 'Flight Pads', big engined race cars instead of Talon Trot etc etc.
In all honesty all the things you listed are indeed fantastic about N&B. My main gripe is the "minigame" feel I get from completing challenges and the fact that there is absolutely no emphasis on exploring outside of Showdown Town. Kazooie's moves are a bit of a bummer, but I could have looked past that if the vehicles were indeed a direct evolution of Kazooie's moves(Such as: you go into a world and use your vehicle to explore and figure out ways to obtain jiggies - no missions). The missions reeeeeally give it a spinoff feel that I think they could have avoided if they went with the more traditional structure of progression. That's just my opinion.

Zoso said:
In all honesty all the things you listed are indeed fantastic about N&B. My main gripe is the "minigame" feel I get from completing challenges and the fact that there is absolutely no emphasis on exploring outside of Showdown Town. Kazooie's moves are a bit of a bummer, but I could have looked past that if the vehicles were indeed a direct evolution of Kazooie's moves(Such as: you go into a world and use your vehicle to explore and figure out ways to obtain jiggies - no missions). The missions reeeeeally give it a spinoff feel that I think they could have avoided if they went with the more traditional structure of progression. That's just my opinion.
That's what makes me mad. I mean I like Nuts and Bolts but what happened to finding the Jiggy? I mean I don't like how they pretty much tell you where to get a jiggy and you have to do a mission to get it.

bottles

warbegins said:
why does the Banjo universe have to be used exclusively for one genre of game? i am interested in Rare expanding on the vehicle building concept while also pursuing a new platformer. if anything, attaching the Banjo license to N&B gives the franchise greater visibility and increases the likelihood of success for future BK games. one look at Nintendo shows how well this model can work.

some of the people in here seem a little too nostalgia-driven. i loved the originals as much as anybody, but N&B is a step forward for all of gaming. and that bottles poster? if he's not the joke account of a clever mod like i suspect, he probably writes Bamjo fanfiction.

Why would you say that?

The ‘Nintendo model’ is quite different. Of course, there’s Mario Kart, Mario Tennis – you name it. But they also make the main genre games: Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy.

In Rare's case, Nuts & Bolts is the main game. Had it been a spin-off, I would’ve been fine with it. As a main entry into the series, however, it’s seriously disappointing.

APZonerunner said:

Outside of Showdown Town, it’s nowhere near classic Banjo gameplay. Zoso is actually pretty spot on IMO.

Shadowlink123 said:
That's what makes me mad. I mean I like Nuts and Bolts but what happened to finding the Jiggy? I mean I don't like how they pretty much tell you where to get a jiggy and you have to do a mission to get it.

I'm sorry, I'll admit I don't know, but are there missions in the original Banjo where after you beat it, the Jiggy is hard to find? I don't really get what you're saying here.

bottles

BenjaminBirdie said:
I'm sorry, I'll admit I don't know, but are there missions in the original Banjo where after you beat it, the Jiggy is hard to find? I don't really get what you're saying here.

Not really. In Banjo-Kazooie, finding the Jiggy often is the ‘mission’, and you don’t have to talk to an NPC to start it. That’s one of my main gripes with Nuts & Bolts.

bottles said:
Not really. In Banjo-Kazooie, finding the Jiggy often is the ‘mission’, and you don’t have to talk to an NPC to start it. That’s one of my main gripes with Nuts & Bolts.

Yeah that's not really true. On the 10 jiggy per stage, almost 6 of them spawn when you beat an event/boss/did a certain thing.

The principle is the same, really.

And the ratio is even bigger in Tooie. I don't even recall being able to find a jiggy on my own. But it's been so long.

bottles

Littleberu said:
Yeah that's not really true. On the 10 jiggy per stage, almost 6 of them spawn when you beat an event/boss/did a certain thing.

The principle is the same, really.

And the ratio is even bigger in Tooie. I don't even recall being able to find a jiggy on my own. But it's been so long.

They were all integrated into the world. In Nuts & Bolts, you move from one NPC on your radar to the next in order to start mini-games. You don’t even have to explore the worlds. I’d say that’s a huge difference.

bottles said:
They were all integrated into the world. In Nuts & Bolts, you move from one NPC on your radar to the next in order to start mini-games. You don’t even have to explore the worlds. I’d say that’s a huge difference.

You are so splitting hairs here. A floating hologram is no different at all from an Ape sitting at the top of a tree or a Hippo in a Pirate Ship. Are you saying you like got to that Hippo and weren't sure if he would issue a challenge until you "explored" more?

I'm not saying people can't be disappointed in the game, the gameplay is fundamentally different in terms of mechanics, but this whole idea that Banjo some how rewarded exploration in a way that Nuts & Bolts doesn't is just not true. I mean, look, if you want to breeze through the whole game fast, you don't need to do any of those things, sure. but you need every note to buy everything available to be able to build anything you want, and that means a metric shit-ton of platforming and exploring.

bottles

BenjaminBirdie said:
You are so splitting hairs here. A floating hologram is no different at all from an Ape sitting at the top of a tree or a Hippo in a Pirate Ship. Are you saying you like got to that Hippo and weren't sure if he would issue a challenge until you "explored" more?

I'm not saying people can't be disappointed in the game, the gameplay is fundamentally different in terms of mechanics, but this whole idea that Banjo some how rewarded exploration in a way that Nuts & Bolts doesn't is just not true. I mean, look, if you want to breeze through the whole game fast, you don't need to do any of those things, sure. but you need every note to buy everything available to be able to build anything you want, and that means a metric shit-ton of platforming and exploring.

How long have you played the XBLA Banjo-Kazooie? You don’t have a radar showing you where the next mini-game is. It’s quite obvious that this is one of the things long-time Banjo fans dislike about Nuts & Bolts. Read some of my previous posts.

I don’t know how you found the notes in Nuts & Bolts, but I didn’t explore. I just flew my helicopter everywhere.

bottles said:
How long have you played the XBLA Banjo-Kazooie? You don’t have a radar showing you where the next mini-game is. It’s quite obvious that this is one of the things long-time Banjo fans dislike about Nuts & Bolts. Read some of my previous posts.

I don’t know how you found the notes in Nuts & Bolts, but I didn’t explore. I just flew my helicopter everywhere.

You don't have a radar because you don't really need one.

And how is flying your helicopter looking for notes any different than using Kazooie to fly?

Like I said, plenty of reasons to dislike the core gameplay of Nuts & Bolts, but you keep finding ones that are barely any different from their BK counterparts.

I loved the game, I really did, and still do, although I think Rare could have got a lot more out of it. As mentioned before, what was the deal with Piddles? She just participated in one or two races, but she could've been waaay more important.

You know, as much as I like Nuts & Bolts (I think it's my game of the year), I'm afraid that I'd like a real Banjo-Threeie as well. But honestly, can't those two franchises live alongside eachother. Mario and his sportsgames can do this as well, can't he?

KevinCow

Banned
bottles said:
You still have to look around to actually find them.

But no, Nuts & Bolts isn't classic Banjo. It's a different game. I think we've known this long enough for everyone to get over it.

bottles

BenjaminBirdie said:
You don't have a radar because you don't really need one.

And how is flying your helicopter looking for notes any different than using Kazooie to fly?

Like I said, plenty of reasons to dislike the core gameplay of Nuts & Bolts, but you keep finding ones that are barely any different from their BK counterparts.

You can’t fly around everywhere in BK. Play it and find out. And you wouldn’t need a radar in Nuts & Bolts had it been a better-structured game with worlds that weren’t so low on content. I don’t want to be taken by the hand. I want to explore and find stuff myself.

Look, I don’t want to sound arrogant here, but by your own admission, you’ve only played ‘some’ BK. I'm a long-time Banjo fan. I know what I like about the old games, and my main gripes with Nuts & Bolts are the ones I’ve outlined in this thread. Can’t help it.

However, there are a lot of things I like about Nuts & Bolts, and I can perfectly see why you like it so much, given the fact that you didn’t play the classic Banjos. It’s very different from what’s out there today.

Blackjack

bottles said:
You can’t fly around everywhere in BK. Play it and find out. And you wouldn’t need a radar in Nuts & Bolts had it been a better-structured game with worlds that weren’t so low on content. I don’t want to be taken by the hand. I want to explore and find stuff myself.

Look, I don’t want to sound arrogant here, but by your own admission, you’ve only played ‘some’ BK. I'm a long-time Banjo fan. I know what I like about the old games, and my main gripes with Nuts & Bolts are the ones I’ve outlined in this thread. Can’t help it.

However, there are a lot of things I like about Nuts & Bolts, and I can perfectly see why you like it so much, given the fact that you didn’t play the classic Banjos. It’s very different from what’s out there today.
Haha, oh boy the "I'm a REAL fan" argument.

I love the old Banjo games (since I had very few games as a kid I bet I beat the first Banjo at least a dozen times back in the day), but I loved them for their gameplay rather than any attachment to the characters and setting. And having put enough time into N&B I really wouldn't want to have had the same old 3D platformer mechanics. But I do agree that it was probably a bad move on Rare's part to use the Banjo license since they've had to battle with fan attachment to the franchise. If it's a new type of game, give it a new IP.

jetpacks was yes said:
I love the old Banjo games (since I had very few games as a kid I bet I beat the first Banjo at least a dozen times back in the day), but I loved them for their gameplay rather than any attachment to the characters and setting. And having put enough time into N&B I really wouldn't want to have had the same old 3D platformer mechanics. But I do agree that it was probably a bad move on Rare's part to use the Banjo license since they've had to battle with fan attachment to the franchise. If it's a new type of game, give it a new IP.
Exactly or at least make Nuts and Bolts a spin off game.

tak

bottles said:

The funny part is you do sound very arrogant using the "I'm a real fan argument."

I'm confused though, you make it sound like there is no exploration in N&B. Did you skip over hunting for notes and the other collecting missions in the game? True, the game doesn't force you to do those exploring collecting missions, but isn't better to give the player the choice if they want to explore or not? Plus, it's not like there is no reason not to do the collecting missions, they allow you to get more parts and other similar things.

As to the content in the worlds, I think you might need to go back and refresh your memory. The majority of the worlds in the old Banjo games were small and didn't have a lot of content compared to the new game, which is just a product of the consoles expanded capabilities. For instance, I remember reading (long ago) that the main hub world in the new game is larger then all the worlds in the first game combined.

[Nintex]

I like this game, the creation is awesome and I'm a Mario Kart fan so the races and challenges don't bother me at all. The problem that this game has though is that the world and challenges aren't connected. Maybe it gets better but the Logbox 720, Nutty Acres, Banjo Land and the Jiggoseum just aren't very exciting levels. The first problem is the fact that the scenery is useless. In Showdown Town you can jump on rooftops, climb on buildings etc.. Nutty Acres has some awesome looking cog's but you can't actually climb on them. There's all kinds of objects in Banjoland, but you can't do anything interesting with them.

The best part about Galaxy is that you can interact with almost anything in the world, you can jump on it, kick it, stomp it, there's alot of options. In Banjo there's jack shit to do in the levels other than flying/driving/sailing around. The best level so far is easily Showdown Town. The others just aren't that well designed, you really don't need to be in the Jiggoseum for those challenges they could have taken place on the moon or in Arena Land. Every challenge could've taken place in Mumbo's Test Track and the game or challenges wouldn't change.

Shadowlink123 said:
Hm... I guess that answers my question.

Jeepers.

Look, here's the deal. I've said a million times, anyone's free to be disappointed with this game. That's fine. But what I have trouble "cottoning" is this sense of "Oh, you like it? You must not have played Banjo before." What does that have to do with anything? The game is on its own disc, in its own box. Just because it features certain characters, how does that make it beholden to anything? And much more importantly, how does that make someone playing it have some kind of prerequisite for forming an opinion on it.

Glix

Alright, I want to respond to some of the "It doesn't feel like Banjo" stuff.

I played the original, to completion, on the 64. While I thought it was good and fun, and it was one of my favorite games, it was NOT Mario 64. Didn't have the same fluidity or beauty.

I'm playing it again on XBLA, and it is quite enjoyable. There is a hub level, which needs to be explored, in order to find openings to other levels, which you then go into, and explore around, trying to find and collect stuff, and complete tasks.

The game flow of Nuts and Bolts is EXACTLY the same. There are plenty of times where I hop off my vehicle and collect notes or whatever. The characters and the humor stay true to the original, while being more subtle and funnier (check out some of Kazooie's "quips" in the old game).

Honestly, I can understand people saying its not the same as the old ones, based on seeing videos and impressions, but I can't really fathom how some people in this thread play and enjoy Nuts and Bolts, yet continue to keep their blinders on, and stick with the mindset that because the game has a vehicle component, it absolutely cannot be the same type of experience.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I played some B-K way back when the game came out, and it was a fun game, but I seriously can't see the hangups some people have with it. This franchise has been long dead for almost a decade. Tooie came out at the ass end of the N64's life and didn't make much of a splash, and everything else since has been mostly unforgettable handheld nonsense. It makes just as much sense to do with this the character as anything else.

Zoso said:
I think the reason oldtime Banjo fans are worried is because they don't know if Rare will ever take Banjo back to traditional platforming.

Who says another traditional Banjo would ever even get made? It's not like the platforming genre is what it was in 1998. It's not at all as clear cut as "we make Banjo Nuts & Bolts or Banjo the platformer". It could very easily be "we make Banjo Nuts & Bolts or nothing". Given that N&B is a hugely enjoyable, original, beautiful game that can stand on its own, I'll take it. For now its my fave of 2008.

Top Bottom