• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

bottles

Chrange said:
Why are people even bothering to argue once the "real fans" card got played? People who were never going to give it a chance don't like the game....BIG FUCKING SURPRISE.

Nobody played that card, and most of the people criticizing Nuts & Bolts actually like it.

Zoso said:
Nobody wants to argue anymore. Let's pretend to be mature and just accept that some people have different opinions and that they're all perfectly valid.

The ‘mediocre game vs. GOTY’ debate is over already. It’s kind of weak, though, to just say ‘fuck it’ when it is pointed out to you that your analogy doesn’t make any sense.

diffusionx

Gold Member
bottles said:
Why did I expect Banjo 3 to be a platformer? Don’t you expect the next Elder Scrolls to be an RPG?

This would make sense only if the Banjo series was as popular as Elder Scrolls, or Elder Scrolls has been a dead franchise for the past decade like Banjo. But even so, Betheseda has experimented with the Elder Scrolls franchise to both good (Redguard) and bad (Battlespire) results. That sort of thing is more afforded with long-running, successful, entrenched franchises, which Banjo is absolutely not.

bottles said:
Rare has basically said that Nuts & Bolts is Banjo 3, and some fans, including yours truly, are just disappointed because they think they’ll never play another true Banjo platformer.

As I noted before, this may not be because Rare just wants to screw the few people that still care about this franchise. The problem may very well simply be that the market is not there for a typical platforming game with these characters.

bottles said:
The ‘mediocre game vs. GOTY’ debate is over already. It’s kind of weak, though, to just say ‘fuck it’ when it is pointed out to you that your analogy doesn’t make any sense.

My point, before I abandoned it to the common sense move of pulling out this argument altogether, was that this game is NOT Banjo 3.

KevinCow

Banned
I came up with an awesome solution to the first Humba mission in the Terrarium, the one where you have a car with sails and springs and have to drive up the tree. It was a pain in the ass to get the trophy, so I edited the car to turn the sails vertically and just FLEW to the goal. I totally didn't think it would work. I mean it makes absolutely no sense in the real world, but what the hell, I'm not complaining. :lol

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
bottles said:
I don't know what analogy of mine you're talking about, but I am pretty weak, so that point still stands valid.

BenjaminBirdie said:
My point, before I abandoned it to the common sense move of pulling out this argument altogether, was that this game is NOT Banjo 3.
All I have to here from Rare is that this game is not Banjo 3 and then I'll be happy :D

Chris R

I wish I was able to figure out a better solution for the domino mission :(

Started with a helicopter that had a large base, switched to a bomb car, switched to a helicopter with the largest base possible combined with a detachable seat, and ended up using tons of engines and a very wide front :(

Oh and one thing I was wondering if people could help me with. The mission in Logbox, where you have to bring the three parts back to Mumbo, and put them together somehow. How does that work? After 10 minuets of trying to put them together I just gave up.

bottles

Chrange said:

:lol Are you serious? I was poking fun at the guy who said I played the ‘I'm a real fan’ card. Obviously!

Zoso said:
I don't know what analogy of mine you're talking about, but I am pretty weak, so that point still stands valid.

I wasn’t talking about you, but okay. ;)

BenjaminBirdie said:

Why would it not be?

Wizpig

Bah, those new black-colored text boxes are horrible.
Just to make it clear, i'm not one of those "whine everytime you can" types, i never complained about small text in the game, but now the background of the text is really bad

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Ah so the update is out, nice will try when I get home but are they trying to be funny or something with a black background for the text? =)

Any one want to hook me up with some bad ass blueprints? I've only had the game for a week, got it on the amazon deal.

Wizpig

ChrisGoldstein said:
Ah so the update is out, nice will try when I get home but are they trying to be funny or something with a black background for the text? =)

Any one want to hook me up with some bad ass blueprints? I've only had the game for a week, got it on the amazon deal.
Black background is there by default after the patch, and it sucks; in the options you can actually choose bigger text. [both have the new background]

Chris R

ChrisGoldstein said:

Problem is if you only have had the game for a week you most likely dont have all the parts needed for some of the cooler vehicles :(

As for the text toggle thing, you can only toggle the DIALOG text, but for some reason, even with it off, nearly everything else in the game has grown to obnoxious sizes :(

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Two things:
1) The carrying crate/trolley flying trick really can get you just about anywhere in Showdown Town!

2) If you find all of the SnS goodies in BK1 XBLA, but then delete/restart your N&B save, all you need to do to get the two games to re-sync (causing the SnS goodies to spawn in Showdown Town) is to load up BK1 XLBA, save, and exit. Apparently that did the trick for me, in any event.

vhfive

halo love

warthog
zwccqq.jpg

ghost
2r62z4g.jpg

my fav
hornet
2u9ijom.jpg

Heheh, really like that Ghost and Hornet! They're simple and you know right away what they are.

I wanted to try and make this really neat, but I found out when I started to work on the "neat" part, I quickly learned that there was a limit for the number of parts to use. :(

Anyway, it's Grunty's head, have springs on the bottom for the full bouncy headyness...

2cs9aih.jpg

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
vhfive & Alaskanbullworm those are great! : )

I still haven't made anything creative because I still don't have many parts. But I look forward to having them all!

err, i wasn't really trying to be part of a fight in this thread, but i really think it's fun to discuss. benjaminbirdie's perspective is really interesting to me, as this is his first banjo game.

jetpacks was yes said:
Haters are hatin' simply because of the name. Understandable if you can't look past it, so I'm not saying you haters are wrong.

It's like this: Let's call Banjo-Kazooie Apple Pie. Then comes along Banjo-Tooie which is Bluberry Pie. Now everyone is looking forward to whatever new pie might be invented. A new pie enters... sort of. See this pie is actually a juicy steak, but instead of calling it steak they decide to name it Pumpkin Pie. So all of the pie-lovers take a bite expecting something sweet and sumptuous but have their expectations violated in the form of something juicy and meaty. "This is the worst pie I've ever tasted!" they cry out. Someone else responds "yeah I don't know why they called this a pie, but it's a damn good steak!". "You're just saying that because you've barely tasted any apple pie" the haters retort. They continue to argue until both sides decide to give up. And they all live disgruntled..ly ever after.

The End.

:lol :lol

Spot on for me, actually, except that I'm not really a N&B "hater." I was just expecting pie and I had my expectations violated. Steak still kicks ass and I'd love to eat it any time, but I'm going to be very sad if I never get to taste pie again. :(

mr_bishiuk said:
Why did people ecpect pie when they have been told for a year+ they were getting a steak?

before the vehicle style was announced, we had about 7-8 years of expecting pie. Then in 2006, they released a teaser trailer which STRONGLY suggested that it would be the same Banjo-Kazooie we know and love.

Banjo and Kazooie using quirky techniques to open the door kinda made me think that the traditional formula was still alive and kicking.

bottles

autobzooty said:
err, i wasn't really trying to be part of a fight in this thread, but i really think it's fun to discuss. benjaminbirdie's perspective is really interesting to me, as this is his first banjo game.

:lol :lol

Spot on for me, actually, except that I'm not really a N&B "hater." I was just expecting pie and I had my expectations violated. Steak still kicks ass and I'd love to eat it any time, but I'm going to be very sad if I never get to taste pie again. :(

There was no fight in this thread... I’ve said all along that I understand why BenjaminBirdie loves the game, especially since this is his first Banjo game. And I like Nuts & Bolts. I had a good time with it for like 20 hours.

Kazenone

How do you get the Stop 'N Swop crates to appear in N&B? I collected the Eggs+Key in BKX but they haven't appeared in the places they were supposed too in N&B. When I collected the SNS stuff I just quit afterwards, was I supposed to do anything else?

Kazenone said:
How do you get the Stop 'N Swop crates to appear in N&B? I collected the Eggs+Key in BKX but they haven't appeared in the places they were supposed too in N&B. When I collected the SNS stuff I just quit afterwards, was I supposed to do anything else?

If the game didn't save properly when you exited, it may not have saved your SnS items. I've never heard of this happening, but you should double check your totals menu to make sure you have the items.

Alphahawk

So I just got this as an early Christmas Present, and I dunno to be honest it's kinda underwhelming so far. I'm not a big fan about how they split each level into acts now, and I'm not to thrilled with the fact that I seemingly can't traverse the world in anything other than the starting tractor thingy. However I'm not that far so it still has a chance to pick up for me.

Quick question though: Can you pick up parts anywhere other than Showdown town?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Kazenone said:

I played through all of BK1 before doing anything in N&B. Finally, when the text patch hit for N&B, I started a new file, and lost access to my SnS goodies. Reloading BK1, saving, and exiting, seemed to cause the two games to resynchronize, restoring the BK1 SnS goodies in N&B.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
KevinCow said:
I came up with an awesome solution to the first Humba mission in the Terrarium, the one where you have a car with sails and springs and have to drive up the tree. It was a pain in the ass to get the trophy, so I edited the car to turn the sails vertically and just FLEW to the goal. I totally didn't think it would work. I mean it makes absolutely no sense in the real world, but what the hell, I'm not complaining. :lol
This is why I love this game so much. So fucking amazing.

bottles said:
And what about that Love Boat parody when you first enter Banjoland? :lol

Don't forget the Dallas tune, at the entrance of Nutty Acres. Too awesome.

It's those little details that make Nuts & Bolts the wonderful game that it is.

Echoes

I bought another new copy of the game, even though I finished the game couple of weeks ago (will pickup my copy tomorrow from Aramex). That's how much I love it. On my first upcoming paycheck I'm getting my brother a 360 with a copy of Banjo, too :D Rare deserves all my money for such a flawless game.

I'm not much of a sales person, but has there been any news about how well it did at retails?

I just got this game for christmas but my 360 and router decided to die at the same time. :(

In added news, a tree fell on our phone line TODAY but fortunately, it did not snap it.

I've got more bad news on a personal level that I will keep to myself. I've had a bad run since OCT but I'm sure 2009 will be better. :)

CerberusE

Neo Member
Holy crap, just found out the text patch for this has been released. This is so awesome, once the stores open tomorrow I will get this.

This game has been on the cheap at Amazon for several weeks and I FINALLY got the money to pick it up and, lo and behold, its back up to normal price now.

<cue sad music from the Incredible Hulk tv show>

Alphahawk

While I was mad at Rare initially for the small text thing, I honestly hope other devs take not of what they did to fix it, you now have a choice of small or big text, and I've been wondering why more devs don't do that.

Thermite

Pizza Luigi said:
Don't forget the Dallas tune, at the entrance of Nutty Acres. Too awesome.

It's those little details that make Nuts & Bolts the wonderful game that it is.

There's also the Jinjo acting like Hurley from Lost in Logbox 720. (It's one of the hurling challenges; can't remember which act it's in. 6 maybe?) I lol'd in RL when the text started rolling and he said "Dude, I'm lost on an island! Nah, just kidding." :lol <3 Rare.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Darth Tigris said:
This game has been on the cheap at Amazon for several weeks and I FINALLY got the money to pick it up and, lo and behold, its back up to normal price now.

<cue sad music from the Incredible Hulk tv show>

Its normal price is already a steal.

Alphahawk said:
While I was mad at Rare initially for the small text thing, I honestly hope other devs take not of what they did to fix it, you now have a choice of small or big text, and I've been wondering why more devs don't do that.

Is there really a choice? I unchecked the large text and it's still awful comic sans. Is there just a bigger comic sans option? I just want my font back!

BenjaminBirdie said:
Is there really a choice? I unchecked the large text and it's still awful comic sans. Is there just a bigger comic sans option? I just want my font back!
Yea there is a choice if you want small or large text.

Shadowlink123 said:

Is the small text still Comic Sans, though? I just want to make sure I have the smallest possible text and there's no way to get the old font back.

Chris R

Shadowlink123 said:
NO NO NO

The choice ONLY effects the DIALOG text. The menu text you CANNOT change. They decided to make it larger across the board and it look so damn ugly now.

rhfb said:
NO NO NO

The choice ONLY effects the DIALOG text. The menu text you CANNOT change. They decided to make it larger across the board and it look so damn ugly now.
Oh thats what he was asking. I just ignore that, and I am just happy that they fixed the text.

Top Bottom