• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

KevinCow

Banned
Holy crap at these Super parts. It's like they said, "Alright, thanks for playing our game this far. Now here's some awesome shit with absolutely none of the drawbacks that all the other parts in the game had. Have fun!"

GhaleonEB

My daughter played this for the first time tonight. She loves it - as she did the demo. I promise to make this the only stupid question I ask: is there any manual saving? I couldn't find any mention of saving at all in the manual, and no mention of it from the pause menu. I'm hoping she didn't lose her progress at all when I switched it off tonight...

Chris R

KevinCow said:
Holy crap at these Super parts. It's like they said, "Alright, thanks for playing our game this far. Now here's some awesome shit with absolutely none of the drawbacks that all the other parts in the game had. Have fun!"
I know, and I love them for that :lol Still need my second super engine :( Also, totally by accident today I figured out that YOU can leave the blue ring to build up speed but the JINGO can't for the Jingo throw challenges :lol

GhaleonEB said:
My daughter played this for the first time tonight. She loves it - as she did the demo. I promise to make this the only stupid question I ask: is there any manual saving? I couldn't find any mention of saving at all in the manual, and no mention of it from the pause menu. I'm hoping she didn't lose her progress at all when I switched it off tonight...

All auto saves. Collect a single note, the save notice will pop up in the corner 10 seconds later. Collect a jiggy, same thing, ect.

This game dares you not to like it. It's just so novel and charming that it's hard to get too upset about the whole non-platforer thing.

It's like Garry's mod with goals.

civilstrife said:
This game dares you not to like it. It's just so novel and charming that it's hard to get too upset about the whole non-platforer thing.

I agree! However, I think it's still a platformer in ways just in a novel way. You use vehicles in many ways that traditionally you would just learn a new move or get a new gadget in a traditional platformer.

For instance, unlocking new worlds and upgrading to get to new areas in the hub town.

Even the parts where you must complete missions in the worlds to get jiggies are a lot like the same types of objectives in a traditional platformer (find this, race to this, collect this, move this here, etc) only more fun with vehicles.

The vehicles also allow for mission types not traditionally found in regular platformers. Moving an ice sculpture from the bottom of the hill to the top of the hill with a special vehicle in Banjoe Town last night it dawned on me how this game can go in so many unique and fun ways that I am excited to see what's next.

Built my first copter. it leaned to one side and was hilarious. Then I tinkered and improved it. Love the legos aspect as well.

KevinCow

Banned
After looking at some leaderboard replays, I've come to the conclusion that making the timer stop when you edit your vehicle was a bad idea. You wind up with people taking like five minutes to do a mission, but because they hopped out and did the whole thing in editor mod, it says it took them a fraction of a second.

I'm kinda disappointed in the leaderboard replays in general, really. I was hoping I'd see some really creative vehicles solving missions in ways I didn't expect, but the top scores are all people exploiting the edit mode or the physics or just getting lucky.

Chris R

I only really see that happening with all the log choice missions. When its player choice missions there are some really cool vehicles that make you go WTF.... oh ok :lol

soco

same here. it's the log's choices that always see them doing that. i've seen some pretty creative solutions on a lot of the other challenges.

the only thing i hate is when i think. wow i did this really fast, i wonder how i placed, and then look at the leaderboards to see i'm like 20,000th or something. it drives me crazy.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I picked Banjo and Mirrors Edge up today and Im glad I did. Im having a great time with Banjo so far. The graphics are quite amazing.

KevinCow

Banned
Watch the first Grunty mission. The top time is like .3 or .03 seconds. The guy just made a bunch of blocks, not even a seat, then slowly built it over to Grunty, then kept dropping blocks on her until the nut fell out.

Also look at a lot of the Jiggoseum missions. The long jump's top mission is just a motorcycle with a bumper on the bottom that kept sliding around in a circle. One mission where you have to knock a bunch of dice off a platform has the guy doing something similar to the Grunty mission, where he just goes into the edit mode and drops stuff on them to knock them off.

Alphahawk

Some of these photos depress me, as I have no ideas for anything remotely that cool, granted I only have the light blocks so far but still that never stopped anyone.

My best creation though was probobly my UFO-matic it was a pyramid shaped flying saucer on wheels, unfortunately once I actually tried it out in the game world it controlled like crap so I trashed the whole thing..

vhfive

Alphahawk said:
Some of these photos depress me, as I have no ideas for anything remotely that cool, granted I only have the light blocks so far but still that never stopped anyone.

My best creation though was probobly my UFO-matic it was a pyramid shaped flying saucer on wheels, unfortunately once I actually tried it out in the game world it controlled like crap so I trashed the whole thing..

don't worry about it
my first creations were total shit (most still are) but the more you build, the more comfortable you are with the parts and the better you get:D

Mohonky

rhfb said:
NO NO NO

The choice ONLY effects the DIALOG text. The menu text you CANNOT change. They decided to make it larger across the board and it look so damn ugly now.

Ah, I knew portions of the text were larger than before even though I hadn't switch large text on.

Mohonky

KevinCow said:

When does one acquire these super parts?

I've only just started getting things like Large Engines and one small Jet.......

Also, whats this stop and swap thing?

Oh and papery pals etc, what do they do for you?

vhfive

Mohonky said:

I've only just started getting things like Large Engines and one small Jet.......

super parts are at the end of the game. i think you need the siren to get them

stop n swap is if you play banjo kazooie for xbla

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Mohonky said:

I think you start getting super parts once you "beat" the game (beat Grunty in the final battle).

Stop and Swap is a long story, but it was basically what was supposed to be in BK1. You collected these eggs which you would swap for things in Banjo Tooie by quickly taking out the cartridge and inserting Tooie. This was never accomplished because of technical difficulties and RARE got a lot of crap for it. Now, when you buy Banjo Kazooie XBLA version, you can unlock the Stop N' Swap eggs and swap them for items in N&B.

Chris R

FoeHammer said:
I remember reading that you could download blueprints from the leaderboards...

Where can you access this?
Should give you the option if the person put the blueprint up for the leaderboard from their score. You should have an option to watch the replay or download the blueprint.

voltron

Why did I wait so long to get this game? From the very start Im in love with it. The re-imagining of Spiral Mountain, the visuals, everything.

FoeHammer

rhfb said:
Should give you the option if the person put the blueprint up for the leaderboard from their score. You should have an option to watch the replay or download the blueprint.

Cool, thanks. I just saw the replay option on the few I tried so I guess those people didn't put it out there for download.

Gribbix

civilstrife said:
I must be missing something. Is there a way to watch the top score replays in the game?

Yes. Highlight one of the top 10 scores in the leaderboards and press Y.

EDIT: Are you referring to your own personal top scores? In that case, you'll had to have manually saved them yourself when you completed the mission.

is this game easy to pickup and play ? I want to try it because it reminds me of the last gen platformers. Sucks that we only have first person shooters these days.

Gribbix said:
Yes. Highlight one of the top 10 scores in the leaderboards and press Y.

EDIT: Are you referring to your own personal top scores? In that case, you'll had to have manually saved them yourself when you completed the mission.

Cool, thanks! Wish I knew this while I was playing the bulk of the game. I would have loved to have seen a bunch of them while I was in the thick of it.

I forget which challenge, but I think it was timed, and the top score was literally 0 seconds.
What kind of exploits are these people using?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I just picked up this game and its been pretty awesome. No vehicle building yet but its charming beyond belief. My biggest complaint so far is that its hard to find challenges at times. I wish they had added a map that I could pull up to find the challeges without running around aimlessly.

My other complaint is also one of my greatest joys so far. In Nutty Acres I found this huge pile of boxes and started climbing them by pulling up another crate with me each step. It was quite compelling and a nice piece of platforming. Plus it wasn't even required! I was just having fun exploring. However when I got near the top it wouldn't let me climb the final step even though the jump wasn't any higher than before. I know it seems pretty minor but it did annoy me that I couldn't finish my climb for no reason other than the developers not wanting me to.

Oh and I'd like to mention I'm quite happy Rare was so quick to patch the small text. Now the game is actually playable for me :D

Gribbix

Yeah, the exploit top scores are really lame. Although there are still a number of genuinely clever solutions. My favorite that I've seen so far is the Bear's Eye View mission from the Terrarium of Terror world.

Unregistered007 said:
is this game easy to pickup and play ? I want to try it because it reminds me of the last gen platformers. Sucks that we only have first person shooters these days.

I'm the exact opposite. What really interests me is the vehicle part which is the only reason I'm considering getting it as I'm not generally a fan of collect-a-thons anymore.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Unregistered007 said:
imo, yes. It's become my standard game to play inbetween other games. It's not really something that I want to play nonstop for hours - I found that it starts to get a little repetitive if I played it like that. So now I just play it real leisurely when I don't feel like playing other games. I found it's a better experience if you take your time and it stays fresh that way too.

I can pick it up for 20 minutes and just explore a bit of showdown town or try my hand at a mission and then not play it for 5 days and come back and not have lost anything. The game is quite versatile.

grandjedi6 said:
I just picked up this game and its been pretty awesome. No vehicle building yet but its charming beyond belief. My biggest complaint so far is that its hard to find challenges at times. I wish they had added a map that I could pull up to find the challeges without running around aimlessly.

My other complaint is also one of my greatest joys so far. In Nutty Acres I found this huge pile of boxes and started climbing them by pulling up another crate with me each step. It was quite compelling and a nice piece of platforming. Plus it wasn't even required! I was just having fun exploring. However when I got near the top it wouldn't let me climb the final step even though the jump wasn't any higher than before. I know it seems pretty minor but it did annoy me that I couldn't finish my climb for no reason other than the developers not wanting me to.

Oh and I'd like to mention I'm quite happy Rare was so quick to patch the small text. Now the game is actually playable for me :D
The challenges show up on the mini-map when you're in the worlds, and worlds that still have challenges to do show up on the mini-map in showdown town. It's pretty easy to find challenges.

grandjedi6

BobFromPikeCreek said:
The challenges show up on the mini-map when you're in the worlds, and worlds that still have challenges to do show up on the mini-map in showdown town. It's pretty easy to find challenges.
Perhaps I should have specified Jingo challenges :X

grandjedi6

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Ah. Throw a Spec-o-Spy on your vehicle. You get it pretty early and it puts all the jingos in the area on the mini-map.
Spec-O-spy, eh? I'll have to remember that (pretty sure I don't have it yet). Thanks!

Sleeker

I usually dont play a game after I complete its story and rake up most of the achievements.

But I'm coming back again and again to Nuts and Bolts to collect all the Jinjo tokens and complete some other tasks

I just read the Dutch magazine GMR, and there was a review in it for Nuts & Bolts.

They said it didn't work gameplay-wise. I thought that was pretty weird, because it works perfectly, it's just different.

It got a 6.8

Sleeker

Pizza Luigi said:
I just read the Dutch magazine GMR, and there was a review in it for Nuts & Bolts.

They said it didn't work gameplay-wise. I thought that was pretty weird, because it works perfectly, it's just different.

It got a 6.8

My only complaint about the gamplay is....why the hell do the vehicles click together when you bump into them?
That is so annoying and it makes land races a pain in the ass

If I were to make a sequel I would fix these three things first:

1) Add hand-break
2) Remove "clingy" vehicle issue
3) Under the advanced menu for parts, allow specific assignment of action buttons

Pasco

Banned
Digital Limit said:
1) Add hand-break

Oh god yes! I've lost count of the number of times I've thought "Right, now lets just swing round here" hit A (which I subconsciously associate with handbrake in driving games) and end up firing off missiles or springs or whatever crazy shit I've got attached to my vehicle :lol

Top Bottom