• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

Blackjack

So, am I doing something wrong here? I'm in the second world (L.O.G. World or whatever it's called) and my vehicle basically handles like absolute shit in here.

Blackjack said:
So, am I doing something wrong here? I'm in the second world (L.O.G. World or whatever it's called) and my vehicle basically handles like absolute shit in here.

Get an helicopter. I never used anything else besides LOGs choice mission.

bottles

Blackjack said:

Most cars handle like shit, but have you distributed the weight evenly? What kind of tires are you using?

But really, like Littleberu said, helicopters are the way to go.

Blackjack

bottles said:
Most cars handle like shit, but have you distributed the weight evenly? What kind of tires are you using?

But really, like Littleberu said, helicopters are the way to go.
I dunno, dude, all of my cars handle perfectly fine outside of LOGBox. It's like there are tiny, invisible speedbumps that cause me to just completely lose control.

Blackjack said:
I dunno, dude, all of my cars handle perfectly fine outside of LOGBox. It's like there are tiny, invisible speedbumps that cause me to just completely lose control.

Yeah, the surface in LOG's Box are slippery and all the little bumps in the ground are there to make you loose control.

What you might want to do is create a heavier car specially for the Box, or, alternatively, some kind of hovercraft.

tak

Blackjack said:
Use spoilers if you don't have the high end grip tries yet, lots and lots of spoilers. The terrian in logbox is not really the best terrain to drive on though. Better to use a flying vehicle like another poster suggested.

tak

bottles said:
Ah, I see. You’re only allowed to rave about the game in this thread.
It gets old seeing the same people make the same arguments over and over and over again. We get it, you don't like the game. You've made your point, you don't need to make it every page.

Oliver.S

(Every page??) I never said that I hate Nuts & Bolts. I like the game, or better one half of the game. There is some room between love and hate, you know. ;)

tak

Oliver.S said:
(Every page??) I never said that I hate Nuts & Bolts. I like the game, or better one half of the game. There is some room between love and hate, you know. ;)
I was referring to bottles.

bottles

tak said:
It gets old seeing the same people make the same arguments over and over and over again. We get it, you don't like the game. You've made your point, you don't need to make it every page.

Dude, relax. I was just agreeing with Oliver and I’ve already said that I’m done debating in this thread.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I've noticed I have a high tendency to abandon my vehicle and finish a challege/note collecting/exploration on foot. I'm not sure what that means though.

grandjedi6 said:
I've noticed I have a high tendency to abandon my vehicle and finish a challege/note collecting/exploration on foot. I'm not sure what that means though.

It means Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts is a truly varied and majestic experience.

;D

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
It means Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts is a truly varied and majestic experience.

;D
I hope so. I've just started playing - only explored town and the first game world - and I saw glimpses of something wonderful buried behind a cumbersome interface and rather kludgey controls. I'm hoping the core game expands to the point where I can see through both.

Alphahawk

So today I made my best/most useless creation yet, it's a giant block cyclops that I named Banjoborg. Unfortunately for me when I tried to stick wheels on him, he was too tall and Mumbo wasn't having any of that. So I just stuck two propellers to the top of his head and now he just flys slowly around whereever he needs to go. I want to build a smaller ground version of him but I spent so much time working on this one that the thought of creating a new one exhausts me.

I also made a Sofa mobile thingy that's pretty cool.

GhaleonEB said:
I hope so. I've just started playing - only explored town and the first game world - and I saw glimpses of something wonderful buried behind a cumbersome interface and rather kludgey controls. I'm hoping the core game expands to the point where I can see through both.

you'll stop hating the controls once you get the high grip tires. it literally becomes a brand new game once that happens. :lol

Coverly

How important is getting those musical notes for points to buy blueprints and parts? is that all they are for?

Oh, and the night version of the 1st world is amazing, hard to describe how beautiful it is in motion.

Woffls

Notes are only for buying parts and prints (and a couple of useless things like bribing pigs). Many of the parts you can buy aren't particularly useful, and most of the time you wont need more than you already have. Buy prints if you're either lazy or lacking in creativity :D

1up Yours' reaction to Brad mentioning this made me weep D':

Thermite

Coverly said:
How important is getting those musical notes for points to buy blueprints and parts? is that all they are for?

Oh, and the night version of the 1st world is amazing, hard to describe how beautiful it is in motion.

Aside from the two you listed, they're used to buy upgrades for Banjo, buy Jiggies from a certain character, used to buy combinations for towers that hold vehicle crates, and if you want, used to bribe the police so they don't attack you when you break the law.

AniHawk

Two questions, and I'm being completely serious.

1. Have they updated the small text yet? It's the main reason I haven't played the game.
2. What genre is this? Again, I haven't played the game. So is it a platformer, action-adventure, minigame compilation or what? I'd peg it as more of an action-adventure than a platformer from what the naysayers and some of the reviews have said.

grandjedi6

AniHawk said:
Two questions, and I'm being completely serious.

1. Have they updated the small text yet? It's the main reason I haven't played the game.
2. What genre is this? Again, I haven't played the game. So is it a platformer, action-adventure, minigame compilation or what? I'd peg it as more of an action-adventure than a platformer from what the naysayers and some of the reviews have said.

1.) Thankfully yes.
2.) Well its certainly not a platformer. From what I've played so far I'd describe it as an action adventure. More specifically: seeking to accomplish a series of challenges (races, etc) through the power of lego building.

AniHawk

grandjedi6 said:
1.) Thankfully yes.
2.) Well its certainly not a platformer. From what I've played so far I'd describe it as an action adventure. More specifically: seeking to accomplish a series of challenges (races, etc) through the power of lego building.

1. Good. I'll probably get around to it sometime after finishing Persona 4 then.
2. Thanks. The only reason I'm asking is that I'm arranging the GOTY thing and I wasn't sure where it would go.

autobzooty said:
you'll stop hating the controls once you get the high grip tires. it literally becomes a brand new game once that happens. :lol

definitely! I managed to get the high grip tires a little earlier, after a lot of wandering around in the hub town (i think I've spent 3 hours there...and i've only completed the first world!!)

Are there any "walker feet" parts available? i'd love to make some sort of AT-ST.. if not i'll just make a cheap AT-AT with hidden wheels :D

bottles

Martial Loh said:
definitely! I managed to get the high grip tires a little earlier, after a lot of wandering around in the hub town (i think I've spent 3 hours there...and i've only completed the first world!!)

Did you use the environment ‘cheat’ to explore parts of Showdown Town you couldn’t reach yet because of the slippery slopes?

soco

AniHawk said:

honestly, there isn't a genre that really encapsulates this game. it works vaguely like mario 64 in terms of the hub world kinda thing, and then it becomes more like a modern need for speed kinda game where you roam around a large world looking for challenges that appear on the map. if i had to group it, i'd call it a puzzle game or a collection of mini-games.

bottles said:
Did you use the environment ‘cheat’ to explore parts of Showdown Town you couldn’t reach yet because of the slippery slopes?

Recommendation: Don't do this. It's not a quaint little "cheat" in quotes. It's a glitch. The fun of the game is working to open up Acts and Grunty battles to gain access to better parts.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
BenjaminBirdie said:
Recommendation: Don't do this. It's not a quaint little "cheat" in quotes. It's a glitch. The fun of the game is working to open up Acts and Grunty battles to gain access to better parts.
Yeah, it would greatly lessen the experience. Really, don't do it.

bottles

BenjaminBirdie said:

Stacking boxes on your trolley and then climbing them? I’m pretty sure that’s not a glitch, dude. It’s a cheat, or at worst, an exploit. Look it up.

It doesn’t ruin the experience in the slightest, by the way. You don’t get super powers, you can’t enter the worlds any sooner than Rare intended, and you’ll still need the trolley to get to some of the harder to reach areas and to collect the best parts. All you can do is explore the rest of town a little earlier – the high grip tires are the first upgrade anyway – and play some mini-games. You’ll probably leave the crates because it’s too much of a hassle walking back and forth to Mumbo’s Motors.

I did it because it was an obvious cheat and because I wanted to spend more time in Showdown Town, which is the only world that I loved every minute of. In fact, this is such an obvious cheat that I'm inclined to believe Rare wanted us to try it.

bottles said:
Stacking boxes on your trolley and then climbing them? I’m pretty sure that’s not a glitch, dude. It’s a cheat, or at worst, an exploit. Look it up.

It doesn’t ruin the experience in the slightest, by the way. You don’t get super powers, you can’t enter the worlds any sooner than Rare intended, and you’ll still need the trolley to get to some of the harder to reach areas and to collect the best parts anyway. All you can do is explore the rest of town a little earlier – the high grip tires are the first upgrade anyway – and play some mini-games. You’ll probably leave the crates because it’s too much of a hassle walking back and forth to Mumbo’s Motors.

I did it because it was an obvious cheat and because I wanted to spend more time in Showdown Town, which is the only world that I loved every minute of. In fact, this is such an obvious cheat that I'm inclined to believe Rare wanted us to try it.

Having never tried it, the description made it sound like you like shoot into the air or some shit.

Either way, one of us didn't do it and loved the game, the other one did do it and has enormous problems with it.

We'll let the public decide the wisest course of action.

;D

Alphahawk

BenjaminBirdie said:

Yeah I wish Rare would of fixed that before release, I had to restart my game because I felt dirty getting Jiggies I got that way accidently. (Of course I later found out that the jiggy dispenser I thought I cheated was in fact accessible that early without the glitch, man was my face red)

Hmm with that and the tiny-text issue, I can't help but wonder if the game was rushed out for the holidays.

bottles

BenjaminBirdie said:
Having never tried it, the description made it sound like you like shoot into the air or some shit.

Either way, one of us didn't do it and loved the game, the other one did do it and has enormous problems with it.

We'll let the public decide the wisest course of action.

;D

I didn’t know Banjo could fly the trolley until much later, and wouldn’t advise new players to try it.

And mind you, while I do have some issues with Nuts & Bolts, Showdown Town is my favourite hub world in any game, ever.

Gigglepoo

grandjedi6 said:

I would describe it as a platformer. To me, the point of a platformer is movement, getting your hero from one point of the world to another. That is what Banjo is mostly about, and the vehicles let you create your own movement set to accomplish the goals.

Blackjack

Gigglepoo said:
I would describe it as a platformer. To me, the point of a platformer is movement, getting your hero from one point of the world to another. That is what Banjo is mostly about, and the vehicles let you create your own movement set to accomplish the goals.
Yes. Just because you get High Grip Wheels instead of The Talon Trot doesn't mean this isn't a platformer.

grandjedi6

Gigglepoo said:
But your goal in this game isn't moving from point A to point B, but instead to complete a series of challenges. And these challenges more often than not include things like racing or being a taxi

Pasco

Banned
And this is why I love Giant Bomb :D

Best Xbox 360-Only Game - Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

It turned out to be a bang-up year on the Xbox 360 all around, but it really has to say something about our winner that in a category sporting names like "Gears of War" and "Fable," we had more fun with a Banjo-Kazooie title than anything else on Microsoft's platform.

You know, Rare could have gone and cranked out another Mario 64-style Banjo platformer without putting nearly as much thought and effort into making as funny, unique, and satisfying a game as Nuts & Bolts. And if they had, we're willing to bet that game wouldn't have even made this list.

GhaleonEB

I'm just starting to get a sense for how the game is structured and how the various parts of the game fit together and I've got to say, I don't know what Rare was thinking. Could be they had to chop up the game into a series of minigames and segregate the content the way they did because they couldn't get it to fit together otherwise. I don't know. I can't think of any reason other than technical and artistic compromise that the game is structured the way it is.

Really, I got the game for my kid and she's digging it so far (though the interface confuses her - and me for that matter), so I won't spend too much time posting about it. But my few sessions with the game were enough that had I bought the game for myself, I'd have packed it up and returned it at this point. Really, really disappointing stuff. I'll post some more comprehensive thoughts another time, should I venture deeper into it. But right now I'm thinking this game is a fractured mess. I'm tempted to say that's why it was sold at a discount.

grandjedi6

This game is really starting to piss me off. Why do I have to transport my jiggies after I get them? Why is there a giant lake blocking my Bangoland jiggies from the "jiggy container"? Why won't they let me build a boat in Showdown Town to transport my jiggies over said lake? Why are the vehicle controls so clumsy that my jiggies keep toppling off and falling into the lake? Why is Banjo so horribly slow if I'm suppose to individual swim/walk each jiggy across? Why do I have to pay to upgrade Banjo's walking until its at least midly acceptable?

Arggh

Gribbix

I can definitely see why you'd be frustrated. Rare probably should have blocked access to Banjoland until the player
gets the cart upgrade from Act 3 of Logbox 720.

I am sure this has been done a million times, and I only have like 12 jiggies so don't have a lot of parts unlocked but here is my attempt at a TIE fighter lol

tiefighter3.jpg

tiefighter2.jpg

tiefighter1.jpg

updated:

tiefighter5.jpg

tiefighter4.jpg

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
grandjedi6 said:
This game is really starting to piss me off. Why do I have to transport my jiggies after I get them? Why is there a giant lake blocking my Bangoland jiggies from the "jiggy container"? Why won't they let me build a boat in Showdown Town to transport my jiggies over said lake? Why are the vehicle controls so clumsy that my jiggies keep toppling off and falling into the lake? Why is Banjo so horribly slow if I'm suppose to individual swim/walk each jiggy across? Why do I have to pay to upgrade Banjo's walking until its at least midly acceptable?

Arggh
I liked transporting a huge pile of jiggies from one place to another. I thought it was a neat way of letting the player feel like he'd accomplish something. But yeah, without the floaters that would make me want to kill someone.

grandjedi6 said:

Arggh

I'm guessing you haven't unlocked the floaters for your trolley yet. Go beat the witch in the Jiggoseum, then the lake will cease to be a problem for you.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
sionyboy said:
I'm guessing you haven't unlocked the floaters for your trolley yet. Go beat the witch in the Jiggoseum Logbox 720, then the lake will cease to be a problem for you.
Fixed. ;)

Top Bottom