• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

Kujo

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, that's how I figured the progression would work. What I don't like is how the actual game worlds are structured. I was hoping they would be more of a sandbox, with stuff stashed away so as to encourage exploration. I wanted stuff visible so I would say, "how do I get that?" and then build a vehicle to do so. But none of the worlds I've played so far have rewarded exploration. I swam out to the islands in the first two, and down to the bottom of the ocean surrounding the main island. I never found any hidden stuff to reward my exploration. I spent quite a bit of time scouring those levels, and all the collectible stuff was right around the main areas. So instead of exploring further, I found myself starting to just head for the puzzle piece icons, doing the mini game, and moving to the next.

The problem is none of those minigames have been any fun so far. A gaggle of fetch quests and races. The biggest problem is the vehicles just aren't fun to drive. I still haven't figured out how the physics in the game work; they're really unpredictable. Sometimes I bump something and go flying in the other direction, some times I just get stuck. The vehicles don't feel like they are a real part of the world; it just feels disconnected somehow. I can't really describe it, but driving around in them is just boring and a bit frustrating. I was hoping the vehicles would be fun to use, and the game worlds a big sandbox to play in. But they're not; they're just a rather empty place where I have to track down a couple of characters to do something that's not entertaining.

And why is the town not also the test track? Imagine if the town was designed more like a city in Crackdown, and the vehicles were your abilities. Early on you'd be operating on the lower levels, and gradually got to get to the higher or out of reach areas as better parts, and different styles (airplanes, etc.) get uncovered. It would be a hoot. Instead they restrict that world to the trolley, and the test track is a big empty arena. Both are boring. I wonder if they tried to make the town the core area, and just couldn't get it to work and so the test track was developed. It's a really weird split.

I probably won't play any further into this game. The graphics are astounding, but that's not enough. My kid likes it, and since it was her Christmas present it's money well spent from my perspective. But I'm done with it; the way the game is structured is just mind-boggling bad IMO - one missed opportunity after another - and the core gameplay just isn't fun.
Yeah, that's what I didn't like about it, the game doesn't really award exploration like in Banjo-Kazooie. There are a couple of things here and there, but generally everything is either on your map or in plain sight. In BK, Rare hid stuff in pretty much every corner. The closest thing to it would be the hub world itself, finding all the notes/crates/switches.

Thinking about it now, I didn't really find the actual levels all that good. Most of them seemed pretty empty despite their size. Trying to fly in LB720 and ToT was pretty annoying. I had the best time in Jiggoseum because it had the least amount of obstacles.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, that's how I figured the progression would work. What I don't like is how the actual game worlds are structured. I was hoping they would be more of a sandbox, with stuff stashed away so as to encourage exploration. I wanted stuff visible so I would say, "how do I get that?" and then build a vehicle to do so. But none of the worlds I've played so far have rewarded exploration. I swam out to the islands in the first two, and down to the bottom of the ocean surrounding the main island. I never found any hidden stuff to reward my exploration. I spent quite a bit of time scouring those levels, and all the collectible stuff was right around the main areas. So instead of exploring further, I found myself starting to just head for the puzzle piece icons, doing the mini game, and moving to the next.

The problem is none of those minigames have been any fun so far. A gaggle of fetch quests and races. The biggest problem is the vehicles just aren't fun to drive. I still haven't figured out how the physics in the game work; they're really unpredictable. Sometimes I bump something and go flying in the other direction, some times I just get stuck. The vehicles don't feel like they are a real part of the world; it just feels disconnected somehow. I can't really describe it, but driving around in them is just boring and a bit frustrating. I was hoping the vehicles would be fun to use, and the game worlds a big sandbox to play in. But they're not; they're just a rather empty place where I have to track down a couple of characters to do something that's not entertaining.

And why is the town not also the test track? Imagine if the town was designed more like a city in Crackdown, and the vehicles were your abilities. Early on you'd be operating on the lower levels, and gradually got to get to the higher or out of reach areas as better parts, and different styles (airplanes, etc.) get uncovered. It would be a hoot. Instead they restrict that world to the trolley, and the test track is a big empty arena. Both are boring. I wonder if they tried to make the town the core area, and just couldn't get it to work and so the test track was developed. It's a really weird split.

I probably won't play any further into this game. The graphics are astounding, but that's not enough. My kid likes it, and since it was her Christmas present it's money well spent from my perspective. But I'm done with it; the way the game is structured is just mind-boggling bad IMO - one missed opportunity after another - and the core gameplay just isn't fun.
Thankfully the vehicles do become fun to use as you get better parts. I'm at a point now where I'm (trying) to ignore the challenges for the most part and instead I'm just making random vehicles to ride around in.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Ive got a problem, I've lost the orb to unlock whatever the stage after banjo land is, does it respawn somewhere? There's no marker on my map

edit: nm got it

grandjedi6

Ghost said:
Ive got a problem, I've lost the orb to unlock whatever the stage after banjo land is, does it respawn somewhere? There's no marker on my map

edit: nm got it
haha, I had the exact same problem. I was freaking out thinking that I had encountered a game ending glitch only to realize LOG did my job for me

Philia

Mojo said:
Man, fuck T.T. for inverting the driving controls in 'that' race. Ugh. Probably payback for me using a fast flying vehicle against him in the previous land-based races.

MAN I AGREE! ;_________________________; I thought OMG, that's just plain EVIL. When I GOT up there on the tiny long bridge, and saw it packed with dominoes left and right, I gave up right then and there. NO WAY.

FrankT

Just beat the game tonight. I'm going to agree with the GiantBomb guys and say this is one of the best 360 games of 08 and honestly one of my favorite games of the year. Simply loved it.

StingX2

The onion inverted race is pure evil, even if you demolish the vechile and rebuild your stuck as the inverted controls come from the engine not the wheels as in other trick challenges.

Rlan

Philia said:
MAN I AGREE! ;_________________________; I thought OMG, that's just plain EVIL. When I GOT up there on the tiny long bridge, and saw it packed with dominoes left and right, I gave up right then and there. NO WAY.

I finally got to that race.

I didn't check out the best times, but I did get a TT trophy by doing the following:

- As soon as the race begins, jump out of the car and go into edit mode.
- move the engine (automatically selected) onto the top of the left hand side of the vehicle, above the wheel.
- next, move the seat near or ontop of it.
- remove the single piece at the bottom connecting the left side to the main section of the cart, put it somewhere else.
- To get better traction remove the small pieces connecting the leftside wheels to the fuel and then move the rightside wheels in those spaces instead.

Tadah! Now you don't have to deal with knocking down all those dominoes. Still have to drive with reversed controls though.

Rlan

Also for a sequel I'd like them make all Jiggie's won by creating your own contraption in order to get there, not do this then do that.

I would REALLY like to see missins in which you're given nothing but a load of parts and are told that you must create a working vehicle for this race using only these parts.

bottles

GhaleonEB said:

Well said.

Rlan

Fuck, I'm missing ONE crate and ONE Note in Showdown town. Anyone know which ones I probably missed?

Also, played a ton of multiplayer today. Ranked Matches were surprisingly full all day! Got my 20 matches won and the backing-up / walking over achievements too. I played more than 50 different people, as my "recent played" list was full.

Some people have got awesome cars and planes going. Some of the races are crap though, mostly ones in LogBox.

Kujo

Rlan said:
Fuck, I'm missing ONE crate and ONE Note in Showdown town. Anyone know which ones I probably missed?
I was missing a crate too, I was looking all over and couldn't find it. What I did was purchase every part from Humba and then compare all the parts I had, to the amount of parts that you should have once you've gotten everything. I saw which part I was missing and then looked up which crate had it in a FAQ. Once you know, it tells you the location of it so you should be able to get it easily. As for a note, not sure, I don't think I saw one on it's own. I guess just keep looking.

Ranked Matches were surprisingly full all day!
What playlist were you doing? I've hardly been able to find people and when I do, usually I'm on an uneven team or the game drops me out just as it's starting for some reason.

Rlan

Mojo said:
What playlist were you doing? I've hardly been able to find people and when I do, usually I'm on an uneven team or the game drops me out just as it's starting for some reason.

I always did "Random". I didn't want to be picky, and it gave you an array of different modes to play.

Kujo

Rlan said:
I always did "Random". I didn't want to be picky, and it gave you an array of different modes to play.
Perhaps I'll try that then, though I hate getting games styles I don't like.

With the win 20 matches achievement, do you know if being on a winning team counts as 1 win for you even if you're not the 1st on the end list?

And while I'm at it, does anyone know if there is any way to check how many games you've won/etc? I can't seem to find any stats at all, besides the rank next to your name.

GhaleonEB said:

That's the point of showdown town. The issue with collecting in the game worlds is that you're able to fly, there couldn't be any challenge in reaching locations it would just be the issue of scouring every inch of the environment which would be rather dull (much like hunting down Jingos is before you get the spec-o-spy)

I've never really flew when I hit anything, only bumped into corners and stopped, the only issues with the physics I have are the vehicle collision where you'll get stuck to other cars. As other's have said, vehicles get better as you go along but to be honest I always found it fun to build/drive vehicles. Also how could the worlds be any more sandbox than they are beyond the addition of pointless collectables?

They did exactly what you said they should of with Showdown? It's obviously a nod to the old exploration side of Banjo with a hell of a lot of hidden crap to find, with collectable and areas locked down until you obtain your new abilities. The reason you're limited to the upgrading trolley is because if you were able to use custom vehicles they'd be no plat forming or puzzles, you could build something that flew before you ever entered a game world and pick up every collectable for the get go.

FrankT

A friend and I ran across a pretty awesome Master Chief build uploaded to the screens section last night. Unfortunately, I cannot find it anywhere on the online site.

I really cannot say enough about this game though. It really is such a gem. My wife pretty much sat and watched me play forever yesterday. She's basically hooked to watching me play. Now my girls have taken over the 360 today playing it, heh.

If it were not for Fallout 3 this year I would pretty much have to agree with Brad from GiantBomb as GOTY. It's simply just a ton of fun and actually makes you think while doing such.

Pride said:
2akg3yw.jpg
2r4kgv4.jpg

n5svom.jpg

1zovvkp.jpg

Neat.

KevinCow

Banned
So I was at MAGFest this week (last week now I guess). Grant Kirkhope was there. Yes, the Grant Kirkhope, the guy who did a lot of the music for this game and most of the music for the series. He had a neat little panel, had a lot of interesting stuff to say about his life and Rare in general. If any of you guys live on the east coast of the US, you should feel bad that you weren't there.

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is because he mentioned that Nuts & Bolts was originally planned as a remake of the original Banjo with four-player co-op. I found that pretty interesting. Apparently that idea didn't get very far before they decided a remake wasn't the best way to go, but I figured you guys might find that interesting.

I also have to say, he was a disappointingly normal looking guy. I was expecting someone more wacky looking coming from Rare.

Rlan

Hmm, interesting.

Honestly a boosted up remake of the original wouldn't really suffice. Hell, nobody wanted the boosted Conker when that came out, unfortunately. The XBLA version definitely was worth it though - just leave it at that.

A totally new Banjo platformer though :)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Rlan said:
Hmm, interesting.

Honestly a boosted up remake of the original wouldn't really suffice. Hell, nobody wanted the boosted Conker when that came out, unfortunately. The XBLA version definitely was worth it though - just leave it at that.

Conker: Live & Reloaded was 7 on the Xbox's top 10 XBL games for 08. So someone must be playing it. In fact, N&B might have done better as a multiplayer focused, M rated Conker game. But there's no way to know for sure.

Philia

Rlan said:

Also, played a ton of multiplayer today. Ranked Matches were surprisingly full all day! Got my 20 matches won and the backing-up / walking over achievements too. I played more than 50 different people, as my "recent played" list was full.

Some people have got awesome cars and planes going. Some of the races are crap though, mostly ones in LogBox.

Just SO you know, the INGAME totals doesn't count the crate that LOG gave you at the very beginning. -___- Which I realize is pretty lame.

grandjedi6

Darklord said:
I just got 75 jiggies. If I go to spiral mountain now will I miss out on anything or can I go back to everything later?
zap grunty with your laser while she is in town. Other than that nothing is missable i think

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
SapientWolf said:
Conker: Live & Reloaded was 7 on the Xbox's top 10 XBL games for 08. So someone must be playing it. In fact, N&B might have done better as a multiplayer focused, M rated Conker game. But there's no way to know for sure.
I played Conker online about 2 months ago and there will still plenty of people playing.

I had no idea what the hell was going on, though. :-/ So disjointed from the single player.

Darklord

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
zap grunty with your laser while she is in town. Other than that nothing is missable i think
Thanks.

Also, talking about the laser...is my game bugged or something? I unlocked the laser but my cart thing doesn't have it.

Flyguy

I'd like to thank BB for his endless prattling on about this game. I was forced to buy it as soon as it went on sale at amazon, and I just played it for the first time yesterday and loved it.

Ding

Darklord said:
Also, talking about the laser...is my game bugged or something? I unlocked the laser but my cart thing doesn't have it.
This has happened to others, including me. You have to beat the Grunty challenges in the correct order, or you won't have access to all the upgrades you've won. For instance, if you haven't done the challenge that unlocks the cart with the spring, you won't be able to use the cart with the laser. Why? Because the laser-cart also has a spring attached... which you haven't unlocked yet. You have to have unlocked all previous upgrades in order to see the latest-greatest one.

I think this is the sequence of upgrades:
  1. Grippy tires
  2. Floats and prop
  3. Spring
  4. Aqualung
  5. Laser
  6. Something else, siren maybe?

Flyguy

For the 'Floater in the Pipe' achievement, am I correct in assuming I have to get that floating soccer ball into the pipe on the Test-O-Track? That ball is a PITA to move around.

vhfive

Flyguy said:
For the 'Floater in the Pipe' achievement, am I correct in assuming I have to get that floating soccer ball into the pipe on the Test-O-Track? That ball is a PITA to move around.

you are correct

i made a helicopter with a tray. then coming down from the tray i put poles. it ended up looking kinda like a spider.
it was hard to maneuver but it got the job done

vhfive said:
you are correct

i made a helicopter with a tray. then coming down from the tray i put poles. it ended up looking kinda like a spider.

It's well easy with the StickyCopter. Just grab it with sticky ball and hover your way into the pipe.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Flyguy said:
Use the Sticky Ball.

I couldn't be arsed to wait till I had it, so I made a giant cage with an open bottom and the air sucking thing inside.

I then slowly flew down over the ball, and spent the next hour trying to get the damn thing in the right position as it kept getting out. :lol

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
vhfive said:
you are correct

I used the Sticky Ball as well. Attach it to the back of a flying vehicle then just drag the ball into the pipe.

In fact the sticky ball is useful in a heck of a lot of challenges:

2wec29j.jpg

Rlan said:

I'm not so sure people want that. ;)

I'm 13 jiggies in and I have yet to set foot in the garage.:lol For some reason it stresses me out thinking of going in there. I feel like I'll be overwhelmed. I know nearly 100% the fun people have had with this game is building the vehicles.
Any achievement for never building my own vehicle?:D Probably not even possible to finish the game with the crappy vehicles they give you.

Ermac said:
I used the Sticky Ball as well. Attach it to the back of a flying vehicle then just drag the ball into the pipe.

In fact the sticky ball is useful in a heck of a lot of challenges:

2wec29j.jpg

:O

A stickyball on a jet. So badass.

Flyguy

I'm only about 15 Jiggies in. I don't have the sticky ball yet. I've been trying to do it with Humba Copter 1. I think I'll wait on that achievement. I've got plenty of other stuff to do.

Flyguy said:
I'm only about 15 Jiggies in. I don't have the sticky ball yet. I've been trying to do it with Humba Copter 1. I think I'll wait on that achievement. I've got plenty of other stuff to do.
And don't kill yourself going for TT trophies either. You'll get parts later in the game that makes some of those a breeze.

Rlan

BaZZaa said:
uuh what do you mean?

The IGN logo is in the corner!

Which level is that? Banjo Land?

Also, found the last note and box. It was on the twisting island with the crane that puts the Jigosseum ball on.

soco

my biggest problem with this game and others is that one of Rare's chief ways of adding challenge to a game is by obfuscating the controls. you had it in Kameo and you have it in this game. why not more clever ways of adding difficulty?

Top Bottom