• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

pr0cs

I finally 'finished' (or my version of finished) the game the other night. I still have a few achievements to get and never played online but completed all the world jiggies.. in all it took me about 23 hours and if I bothered to go do some more jingo type events I could see the game taking yet another 4-5 hours.

It pains me to find this game didn't sell better, it's so much fun, esp if you're like me and spent a large portion of your childhood playing with lego.
Sadly the bright colors, lack of blood likely meant that it was sent to die on the 360. Even out of my RL friends only 1-2 actually bought the game, no matter how much I praised the game and reminded them that it's a lot cheaper than other 360 games.

Xav

B12938AA14099FCA7170.jpg

I love this game, it's so awesome.

Sydle

jrricky said:
:lol Nice.

Based on the performance of Kameo and Viva Pinata (nearly one million a piece), and seeing as how Banjo N&B is off to a better start than either of them, it's highly likely.

Also consider the slow start the most recent Ratchet game had, and how it eventually reached a million.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
http://forums.banjo-kazooie.com/blogs/sample_weblog/archive/2009/01/27/29244.aspx
“And what of Nuts & Bolts?” I assume you cry. You should remember an announcement from the Banjo team that they would be picking their top seven favourite player-built contraptions from all the ones uploaded to Banjo-Kazooie.com’s Showroom. I know, that’s so last year – you can read all about it on either the official blog or the Rare website. The team have drawn up a shortlist of 14 and are meticulously whittling it down to the final seven.

The entries vary from the powerful and commanding to the wild and wacky – should your creation catch our eye, you can expect to be contacted directly by MGS Rare through the email address associated with your Gamertag and asked for your full contact details. We will be sharing more detailed info on how exactly we plan to show off your contraption in February, when... ack! I’ve said too much already.
DLC confirmed.

Will definitely buy all DLC
as long as it includes achievements.

140k sales and a 79 average at metacritic. This game gets no justice.

I kind of hope that Rare are making a gritty/brown fps, if only to give them a title that is guaranteed sales on the 360. God knows they deserve one sales hit. :(

Course, now I've said that PD2 will end up being a cel shaded puzzle game :/

Wizpig

I just hate how nobody plays this online.
How am i supposed to unlocked the achievements or just have some fun online?

GhaleonEB

My kid is starting to realize what I'd already concluded: none of the jiggy games are any fun to do. So she's skipping as many as possible to just cruise around. RARE did a great job building large, beautiful words, but they sure fail at making anything fun to do in them.

Wizpig

GhaleonEB said:
My kid is starting to realize what I'd already concluded: none of the jiggy games are any fun to do. So she's skipping as many as possible to just cruise around. RARE did a great job building large, beautiful words, but they sure fail at making anything fun to do in them.
Some of them are fun... like 1/10, i think. :\
The game does feel like a wasted opportunity anyway.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
GhaleonEB said:
Jiggoseum is always fun.

iconoclast said:
140k sales and a 79 average at metacritic. This game gets no justice.

Can you really blame anyone but Rare? People wanted a next-gen, gorgeous platformer. Just as people have said all along, Banjo Kazooie wasn't the right world/series for this game.

I personally don't want to create vehicles and then fly them around; I hate that kind of customisation in games. Just give me a platformer that has plenty of varied worlds and the magic that always was BK (can you imagine how good a new Booty Bay would look on the Xbox 360?!) and I'll buy an Xbox 360 for it.

Here's hoping that the low sales will lead them to abandon the N&B concept or at least use some other IP for a potential 'sequel'. I want Banjo-Threeie!

this post is very 'me me me', 'I want I want', but cleary I'm not the only one if you look at those sales figures?

DuckRacer

I dunno, I'm about 40 Jiggies in and the challenges are starting to become a bit more complex, but what's amazing are the ways people are exploiting the challenges. For example, in nutty acres act 5 there's a challenge where you have to transport coconuts from a pillar to a vacuum (lol, we've seen this before). I dicked around with my cumbersome flying carrier... thing and barely won the jiggy, then I watched the top leaderboard replay and some dude brought the vacuum to the coconuts.

I really like the game, and creating a suitable vehicle for a challenge is very rewarding. Having many of the challenges consist of races and "bring this to here" quests is a little shallow, and even more so when Rare creates huge, beautiful worlds and merely use them as backdrops. There are some cool challenges though.

Freestyler said:
this post is very 'me me me', 'I want I want', but cleary I'm not the only one if you look at those sales figures?

Oh, sorry I ruined your spoiler.

It's unfortunate, because this is still far and away my game of the year. If they just retread a dying genre in the next one and take the safe route, they're better off just being an independent studio. The whole point of being a First Party, one would imagine, is so that they'd be shielded from the whims of the marketplace and just be given of a vote of confidence by their overseers to create what they'd like.

Probably naive of me to think so. Such a fantastic and original game like this failing to find an audience is one of the larger tragedies of this gen, especially if it results in Rare playing it safer from here on out.

I hope DLC doesn't just include new vehciles, I hope its more than that :D, also what if its like You can use Kazooie's moves.....naa it won't be :( but hopefully it's good DLC.

voltron said:
The last world is really fucken annoying. Anyone else feel the same way?

Starting you off with that Car On Sails challenge was not the best way to go, no. Visually stunning, but yeah. Up there with LogBox in terms of Anti-Maneuverability.

I think Logbox was the most annoying level followed by the level before Spiral Mountain.

Ending Spoilers:
I also think they will bring back Kazooie's moves back in the next game since L.O.G gives kazooie's moves back to her.

Shadowlink123 said:
Ending Spoilers:
I also think they will bring back Kazooie's moves back in the next game since L.O.G gives kazooie's moves back to her.

YES YES YES, all over my shaft. There better be a proper Banjo-Threeie! I want online co-op where one of you is Banjo, the other Kazooie. You can split up to do certain challenges or you can combine to do the cool shit like using Red Feathers to let both of you fly.

Sydle

For the follow-up, I want the vehicle building and Kazooie's moves back. Design the worlds so there's a need to go use a vehicle to get around, but then I need to get out and go it on foot to explore tighter quarters. In other words, create your huge worlds, but don't forget to make a good bit of nooks and crannies that I can explore and put Kazooie to use. Take Nutty Acres for example, you could have built the volcano so the player had to explore the interior on foot, and then make the exterior terrain too rough for a vehicle, but ideal for Kazooie's trot.

Reward me for exploring. I created dozens of vehicles just to get around to everything I could see and hopefully find things I couldn't see. Music notes were here and there, but not nearly enough.

Sydle

BenjaminBirdie said:
Starting you off with that Car On Sails challenge was not the best way to go, no. Visually stunning, but yeah. Up there with LogBox in terms of Anti-Maneuverability.

I think it would have been ideal to dump the vehicles for the most part in ToT and use Kazooie. It's all I could wish for while playing in that level.

JaCy

voltron said:
The last world is really fucken annoying. Anyone else feel the same way?

Couldn't agree more, I only need ten more jiggies to have all the jiggies from all the stages and I'm contemplating if I should try to get them or not.

BenjaminBirdie said:

No kidding. I looked for replays for people doing it without the spring-chair, but that's it.

Anyone have tips for doing it legit?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
I thought the same thing until I realized that the game rules are more like guidelines. for example: Mr. Fit's challenge in Act 5 of Nutty Acres says you must go get coconuts and return them to the vacuum. What I did was
break the vacuum off and haul it over to the coconuts!

While certian elements of the game still aren't perfect I do enjoy what it does.

EDIT: Dammit DuckRacer! :( And here I thought I was being clever!

Wizpig

Jive Turkey said:
I thought the same thing until I realized that the game rules are more like guidelines. for example: Mr. Fit's challenge in Act 5 of Nutty Acres says you must go get coconuts and return them to the vacuum. What I did was
break the vacuum off and haul it over to the coconuts!
:lol The hell, i'm going to try that, seems fun.

GhaleonEB said:

Yea, I was playing the demo last night, and all i could think of is how much fun it would be to play an actual platformer in this world. Hopefully they will reuse the engine and art assets and crank out a quality platformer.

Also, why am I playing a AAA title in 2009 that still makes me wade through page after page of conversation bubbles instead of having actual voice acting?

Wizpig

outunderthestars said:
Also, why am I playing a AAA title in 2009 that still makes me wade through page after page of conversation bubbles instead of having actual voice acting?
Well, here's my opinion: Rare made what they wanted with this game, not caring about the fans, BUT there are two aspects where they did put massive fanservice: the music [awesome, awesome] and "no voice acting" [but they still changed the characters "voices" by making them less fun to hear -_-]

Anyway, i unlocked the Terrarium of Terror, the world seems fun, i didn't expect much after all the hating, but it's sooo darker than the other worlds... :(

Wizpig

Xav said:
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff42/Xav64/B12938AA14099FCA7170.jpg

I love this game, it's so awesome.
Where can you find that sticky... ball thing?

Anyway, here's 2 more photos i made.

0403d3a31409d4d5f608re6.jpg

8b4326031409d4d467a4go8.jpg

domlolz

Banned
I've not read the thread because I'm just starting but with regards to crate surfing(Half Life 2,man) do I avoid doing it as much as possible or is it something Rare built into the game and it doesn't really break anything(which I'm guessing isn't the case).I don't really want to ruin the game

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still in love with this game. I really hope Rare get the chance to make a sequel
with co-op

Sydle

domlolz said:
I've not read the thread because I'm just starting but with regards to crate surfing(Half Life 2,man) do I avoid doing it as much as possible or is it something Rare built into the game and it doesn't really break anything(which I'm guessing isn't the case).I don't really want to ruin the game

I always found it hard to do for more than a few seconds, but even if you do manage to get around a barrier there's not much you can do until you get a certain game globe or amount of jiggies. Have fun.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
domlolz said:
Avoid it! It fucks up a lot of the games balancing, and allows you to get lots of crates early. It totally destroys the awesome exploration in the hub-world element.

DO NOT DO IT! =p

Sydle

Wizpig said:
I still can't find that sticky ball, can anyone help? thanks

In Showdown Town, go to the area around the Logbox 720 doors, turn around and spring up to one of the platforms. I don't remember where the second one is, but I think Mumbo gives it to you for banking 95+ or 100+ jiggies.

domlolz

Banned
Paco said:
I always found it hard to do for more than a few seconds, but even if you do manage to get around a barrier there's not much you can do until you get a certain game globe or amount of jiggies. Have fun.

Really?I can reach most of the places in the section of the game that were in the demo and yes, I will have fun-the demo was fantastic

Rez>You said:
Avoid it! It fucks up a lot of the games balancing, and allows you to get lots of crates early. It totally destroys the awesome exploration in the hub-world element.

DO NOT DO IT! =p

I guess this is my answer then!

Thanks-good thing I asked,must resist anymore crate surfing

Sydle

domlolz said:
Really?I can reach most of the places in the section of the game that were in the demo and yes, I will have fun-the demo was fantastic

I guess this is my answer then!

Thanks-good thing I asked,must resist anymore crate surfing

I tried everything I could to reach any crate I could see and I got most of them, and it didn't ruin the game for me. I enjoyed having better parts as soon as I could get them.

big_z

Rez>You said:

DO NOT DO IT! =p

i created my own crate stairs to get to places i couldnt otherwise. it doesnt unbalance the game... a vast majority of the good parts you cant get until later in the game anyway. those crates you can cheat your way to are mostly duplicates or extra junk parts.

Top Bottom