• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Bionic Commando Thread

diss said:
what hype has there been for this game? people have been crying for a new bionic commando for ages, they made rearmed which was awesome and an absolute steal at 800 points, and then the enthusiasm for some reason seemed to have dropped off completely for the actual fully new game
Let's be honest here: for whatever reason, there's never been any hype for this game whatsoever, especially not on GAF. BC has always been treated as the red-headed stepchild to BCR, which too has often been maligned by people on this board. Game's been destined to fail. :\

JdFoX187

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
I'll be down. You've been on my friends list forever and the only thing we've ever played together is Turok...and evne then failed miserably at trying to do the coop missions :lol
:lol Don't even bring that up. Those co-op missions give me nightmares.

I AM JOHN! said:
Let's be honest here: for whatever reason, there's never been any hype for this game whatsoever, especially not on GAF. BC has always been treated as the red-headed stepchild to BCR, which too has often been maligned by people on this board. Game's been destined to fail. :\
That's true actually. Otaku and I try to build hype and it just seems to kind of fizzle. Bionic Commando Rearmed was marred by delays, which was to its hinderance. When it was first announced, people went ape shit. But it got delayed three months and people gave up on it. Those who did play it found it insanely fun. This game was also marred by delays. Combine that with a control scheme that takes a little practice, considering everyone is used to Spider-Man swinging, you have the recipe for a failure. I hope it grows legs and keeps going, but it doesn't look good now. I might have to buy two copies :(

I must have it asap.

I don't care about reviews one bit. Swinging worked in the multi demo, that's all I needed to know to validate the purchase. It might not be perfect, but I'll enjoy the swinging.

Teknoman

I just cant wait till the indepth reviews surface. Really want to see what complaints a person could have about the controls.

fernoca

alr1ghtstart said:
Up, Left, Right, X, B, A, Y, Up, X, B, A, Y, Start
Mine's different...

EazyB said:
This may be the first Capcom game I don't buy this generation...
You've bought..every Capcom game this gen? All the Mega Man Battle Network games? Both Lost Planet on PS3 and Xbox 360? Harvey Birdman too?

Nothing personal, is just that I've seen quite a few people saying the same "first Capcom game I'm not buying" when it comes to Bionic Commando... :p

Tokubetsu

fernoca said:
Mine's different...

You've bought..every Capcom game this gen? All the Mega Man Battle Network games? Both Lost Planet on PS3 and Xbox 360? Harvey Birdman too?

Nothing personal, is just that I've seen quite a few people saying the same "first Capcom game I'm not buying" when it comes to Bionic Commando... :p

Yea, i was thinking that as well. If you can spend money on Lost Planet (which I actually enjoyed) i don't see how you can miss out on this.

EazyB

Banned
fernoca said:

I guess I just mean every 360 release.

Dead Rising, Lost Planet, DMC4, BC:R, RE5, even bought Zack & Wiki as well as the Pheonix Wright games. Never bought SF4 but that's because it isn't a fuck-awesome game but because I suck at fighters.

For one reason or another I'm just not excited for BC. I'm not counting it out and hope to read positive impressions from those that pick it up. Capcom's been nothing but good to me as I've enjoyed each game I've picked up from them but BC may mark the end of this streak if reviewers are right.

Mamesj

Banned
The trailer that came with Rearmed hyped me up and I thought with Capcom's direction, Grin would knock this one out of the park. It's not looking undeniably awesome like the other MT framework games, but I'll wait for guinea pigs user reviews.

Aaron

Mamesj said:
The trailer that came with Rearmed hyped me up and I thought with Capcom's direction, Grin would knock this one out of the park. It's not looking undeniably awesome like the other MT framework games, but I'll wait for guinea pigs user reviews.
It's not a Framework game. It's GRIN's own internal engine.

I'll be getting BC, but I wince to hear the single player is so short, since the multi did nothing for me. Might end up a quick trade to Red Faction.

Xater

Hmm the Giant Bomb Review doesn't really make it sound so bad after all. I'll wait for some more reviews today, maybe I will still get it.

IGN UK

7.5 Presentation
The story is silly and it takes itself too seriously, but the cut-scenes are dramatic and the voice-acting good, in an action-movie kinda way.
8.0 Graphics
There’s nothing wrong with Bionic Commando from a visual standpoint, and some of the boss sequences look amazing.
7.0 Sound
Audio is functional rather than inspiring, but again, there’s nothing wrong with it.
6.5 Gameplay
Bionic Commando never quite masters the balance between bionic arm and conventional combat. More problematically, it never quite masters the art of swinging.
7.0 Lasting Appeal
The single-player game is fairly brief, but the combination of platforming and action comes into its own in multiplayer, which seems to offer a fair amount of depth.
Decent OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/983/983853p1.html

IGN US

8.0 Presentation
While there are some B-movie styled plot points and tenuous connections to the first game, the story of Nathan trying to stop Bio-Reign isn't a bad one, and has a couple of nice twists involved.
8.0 Graphics
Solid visuals throughout, with an impressive sense of scale and speed as you swing across the city. The only issue you may find are some frame rate drops here and there.
7.5 Sound
Voice acting is pretty decent, and the rock and low key versions of the theme song are nice when battles break out.
8.0 Gameplay
The bionic arm is the real standout of the combat system, since ammo for your weapons can be sparsely found within the game. Fortunately, it's strong enough to take out most opponents.
7.5 Lasting Appeal
Tossing in challenges and collectibles is a nice touch, but the linear nature of play and difficulty of completing challenges on any difficulty pulls down some of the replayability.
Impressive OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/983/983835p1.html

Ramenman

6.5 Gameplay
Bionic Commando never quite masters the balance between bionic arm and conventional combat. More problematically, it never quite masters the art of swinging.

"it" ? What does this mean ? This sentence is constructed like the game plays itself. More like you never quite master the art of swinging. I know I do.

Captain N

Tokubetsu said:
Calling it right now. This is going to be another one of those GG and GV cases. People are gonna be picking this up later down the road and time will be kinder to it. Right now? People are gonna be hating on it. Me I'm all set for this week!

Best trailer ever: http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/...deos/bioniccommando_trl_leapaction_51309.html

Also wtf at people complaining about linearity. Me thinks people didn't actually want a new bionic commando game...

Capcom knows how to put together a trailer! It has me all kinds of excited about the game now.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So, anyone care to comment on load times? I'm actually somewhat concerned about that. How are they on each version of the game? Thus far, games built on the engine actually seem to load slower on 360, which is odd.

Still, if the loading is distracting enough, I'll have to skip the console version and wait for the PC release (BCR basically has no loading on the PC).

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
I saw Jeff's Video review on IGN

I COMPLETELY disagree with his opinion on the in-game adds, i thought it fit into the world well

Diuretic said:
Four out of five stars from Gerstmann, which is a nice surprise. The review text itself seems decidedly more negative, however.

http://www.giantbomb.com/bionic-commando/61-20470/reviews/

Can someone post the text of the GB review? I really want to see what Jeff says but I'm at work and even though I vist GB every day when I get home from work thats 8 hours away :(

I hope some of the others have played it and that they get a good discussion going on the podcast tomorrow

dark10x

robotnjik said:
Video of pre-tutorial level
Meh, looks like the 360 version is right out. They haven't enabled vertical sync in the final game and there is constant tearing as a result. The PS3 footage looks better, but I'm still concerned about the load times.

web01

Looks awesome cant wait.

Seem alot of the negative comments are people asking for a game that Bionic Commando isnt meant to be.

bryehn

dark10x said:
Meh, looks like the 360 version is right out. They haven't enabled vertical sync in the final game and there is constant tearing as a result.

Whoa, that is pretty bad. Hopefully some of that is from the Flash Video.

May end up switching to the PS3 version if it is really bad though, tearing gives me headaches.

web01

robotnjik said:
Video of pre-tutorial level

Ok just finished watching this, the person playing was terrible not once did he even try to evade or look down the gun sights like the tutorial was telling him to try.

Having played the 360 version to its completion, I experienced no tearing at all, not once. That must be the video and not the game

I did get hit with a bug that caused the game's subtitles to run before voice-over ran though. It happens every time an autosave kicks in when you start a new location. It may have something to so with installing the game to the hard drive though.

A patch (title update) was also released a few days back, but it did not fix that... actually I am not sure what it fixed.

bryehn

Keyser Soze said:
Having played the 360 version to its completion, I experienced no tearing at all, not once. That must be the video and not the game

I did get hit with a bug that caused the game's subtitles to run before voice-over ran though. It happens every time an autosave kicks in when you start a new location. It may have something to so with installing the game to the hard drive though.

A patch (title update) was also released a few days back, but it did not fix that... actually I am not sure what it fixed.

Text looks really small, is it readable on an SDTV?

dark10x

You sure about that? Every single video of the 360 version has heavy tearing as does the multiplayer demo. Furthermore, Wanted: Weapons of Fate (based on the same engine) had the same problem. Even BCR had tearing on 360, but it occurred less often. The PS3 versions of all of these have had vertical sync enabled, however. The engine seems to perform better on PS3 for some reason.

I'll have to hear from other people about this one. I'm interested in the 360 version simply because you can install the game (which may solve loading issues), but if vertical sync is disabled, it would be a deal breaker.

Scotch

Huh. The Dutch gameshop I work at got it in last friday. I figured all stores got it that day but it seems we were really early?

Anyway, I played it for a bit but wasn't blown away (being a HUGE fan of BC:R). The swinging mechanic is well done and gets really fun once you get the hang of it. However the shooting feels weak and the biggest problem was the leveldesign. It looks like you're in a big open world, but you can't actually go anywhere. You see some big skycraper that you can climb, but once you reach the top you're suddenly dieing from radiation. This seemed to happen everywhere except when I went in the direction of the next waypoint.

I don't mind the fact that it's linear per se, I just wish they handled it a little differently.

Dunno if that's just the first part of the game though, need to play some more.

NIN90

dark10x said:
You sure about that? Every single video of the 360 version has heavy tearing as does the multiplayer demo. Furthermore, Wanted: Weapons of Fate (based on the same engine) had the same problem. Even BCR had tearing on 360, but it occurred less often. The PS3 versions of all of these have had vertical sync enabled, however. The engine seems to perform better on PS3 for some reason.

I'll have to hear from other people about this one. I'm interested in the 360 version simply because you can install the game (which may solve loading issues), but if vertical sync is disabled, it would be a deal breaker.

Ye, you're kind of SOL.

bryehn said:
Text looks really small, is it readable on an SDTV?

I can read the text when setting it to 480p on my HDTV and playing. That may give a better result than going through other cables to another TV however. Text is much bigger than Dead Rising / Banjo though.

dark10x said:
You sure about that?

I normally don't pick up on tech glitches in game that well, but Resi5 had tearing for me, and it annoyed me greatly - so much so that I continually fiddled with 360 and TV settings to try and mask it. I never once saw anything in Bionic Commando that made me want to mess with my TV setting.

Wait for other confirmation though if it is an issue for you

dark10x

I normally don't pick up on tech glitches in game that well, but Resi5 had tearing for me, and it annoyed me greatly - so much so that I continually fiddled with 360 and TV settings to try and mask it. I never once saw anything in Bionic Commando that made me want to mess with my TV setting.
Heh, oddly enough, the tearing in RE5 didn't bother me all that much as it was generally pretty mild. BC seems to suffer from tearing lines distributed all over the screen. Makes it seem choppy.

Since you have the game, can you comment on loading times? Nothing breaks immersion for me like levels broken up into small chunks with lengthy loading times between each chunk. Even worse is when death results in the same lengthy loading sequence repeating. Makes for a VERY frustrating game. Is this the case here?

Teknoman

If no one has commented on load times by the time I get back from work...i'll install the game then check. Same for gameplay videos...store better have my game.

BeeDog

Wait a split second - all the trophies/achievements for this game are single-player only?

While I don't rate Capcom as highly as many other here this gen, one thing they're doing right is to make them offline-only. First RE5, now this, woozah! Having online-only trophies is goddamn lame.

dark10x said:
Heh, oddly enough, the tearing in RE5 didn't bother me all that much as it was generally pretty mild. BC seems to suffer from tearing lines distributed all over the screen. Makes it seem choppy.

Since you have the game, can you comment on loading times? Nothing breaks immersion for me like levels broken up into small chunks with lengthy loading times between each chunk. Even worse is when death results in the same lengthy loading sequence repeating. Makes for a VERY frustrating game. Is this the case here?

Your second paragraph sums up the game.

Load times are always around 15 seconds or so (installed to HDD). They occur between locations, usually having you walk into a darkened tunnel to initiate the load. Load time are about the same when you die.

There are a few checkpoints that knock you back considerably (5 minutes at worst), but no matter where you die in each area the load times are about the same (it does not take into consideration where you were when you died to load less or more)

BeeDog said:
Wait a split second - all the trophies/achievements for this game are single-player only?

While I don't rate Capcom as highly as many other here this gen, one thing they're doing right is to make them offline-only. First RE5, now this, woozah! Having online-only trophies is goddamn lame.

Everything is offline only. Almost all the achievements are connected to challenges you are tasked with through the story. There is three for beating the game on each difficulty, although I cannot see how anyone can beat it on Commando (one hit kill snipers :().

The other is for finding all collectables (8-bit icons hidden in weird place). The game keeps track of the collectables as you get then (telling you that you "found 1 of 4 in this area" and so on, so it is easy to keep track of things)

Top Bottom