• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

epmode

Oh god the Restart Event feature just made this game SO MUCH BETTER.

Seriously.

SO MUCH BETTER.

And the big bad horrible load time for the restart is never more than ~4 seconds so I don't understand what the big deal was in the first place.

GOD I LOVE IT.

so, pc owners... is there a way to add a player you haven't played to your friends list?

i can't see anything in game, and i can't see anything on ea.com either.

if i want to play with some of your guys or some of my real life friends, how exactly do i find them?

Mudo

So do I need to buy the Party Pack to get the updated graphics (more saturated, whatever?) If that pack is literally just the multiplayer party game, I might pass for now (or may buy just to support them even though I won't ever use it) ??

DMeisterJ

Banned
Mudo said:
So do I need to buy the Party Pack to get the updated graphics (more saturated, whatever?) If that pack is literally just the multiplayer party game, I might pass for now (or may buy just to support them even though I won't ever use it) ??

No, the party pack is just that, a party pack. Everything else was in the huge patch yesterday. Just DL the patch, and DL the pack if you want to.

crispyben

Oni Jazar said:
So when are they going to add rain to this game? That'd be sweet. :)
They said "never" (take that how you will in the light of recent updates...) because it would have such an impact on the physics model for the cars it would essentially mean reprogramming them from scratch.

Lince

Banned
Mar_ said:
Hmm? 360 version here, and all my billboards remain broken. They are now blinking with like a smashed part in the middle.

same here but PS3 BD version, smashed billboards remained broken after the 1.6 patch... surprised to hear about the resetting thing, bug?

shpankey

not an idiot
played this last night, where'd my custom soundtrack option go (for the PS3)? it used to be, hit right on d-pad, then scroll to the bottom, but it's no longer there.

crispyben

shpankey said:
played this last night, where'd my custom soundtrack option go (for the PS3)? it used to be, hit right on d-pad, then scroll to the bottom, but it's no longer there.
It's still there, in the same place, just not while playing online for some reason.

I totally forgot to download the patch last night.... Can not wait to give the patch a run through on both the PS3 and 360. Impressions of the patch sound very positive... so glad they turned Burnout Paradise into more of a platform.... keep the content coming!

itxaka

Defeatist
Everybody should pay for the party pack or at least one of the future DLC incoming to show support to their approach to DLC.

They have show that other uses of the "evil" DLC can be done, and support can be given to consumers, now give them back your support if you want other games to follow this pattern!

BeeDog

itxaka said:
Everybody should pay for the party pack or at least one of the future DLC incoming to show support to their approach to DLC.

They have show that other uses of the "evil" DLC can be done, and support can be given to consumers, now give them back your support if you want other games to follow this pattern!

Why pay for something that's mediocre? It's not really the cheapest add-on around (at least true for the PS3), since for that money I can buy a full PSN game.

jmdajr

shpankey said:

It's still there. However, I dont know what the deal was but all my customs songs started skipping. It didnt do that before.

shpankey

not an idiot
crispyben said:
It's still there, in the same place, just not while playing online for some reason.
that really sucks for me. i pretty much only play online and switch soundtracks all the time. are you telling me i have to leave my online game to switch and then get in another online game now? wtf... that sucks ass. why on earth would they take functionality OUT of the game? it doesn't make sense. ugh :(

jmdajr said:
It's still there. However, I dont know what the deal was but all my customs songs started skipping. It didnt do that before.

probably because they are using the hard drive to cache the game for the retry option?

hiryu

Oh man, the new colors are the best thing about this update. I feel like I've been transported into a Sega game.

Also, I think the media should review this game again taking all the DLC into consideration. This game deserves 10s across the board.

itxaka said:

I'm for sure going to buy the island, and maybe a car pack or the Cops and Robbers. But I'm not pulling out Burnout when I need a party game; I'm buying something with multiple simultaneous players on the same screen, like Mario Kart or something. It's not a knock against Burnout; I love the game for what it is.

itxaka

Defeatist
BeeDog said:
Why pay for something that's mediocre? It's not really the cheapest add-on around (at least true for the PS3), since for that money I can buy a full PSN game.

See the "or one of the future DLC"

Mediocre or not, they are a developer that is using DLC in order to benefit customers and support the players requesst instead of chugging out DLC the first week with 5 maps or difficulty settings.

That should be supported by everyone that wants DLC to be a good thing to gamers instead of a easy way to get money out of them.

Returners

BeeDog said:

I don't agree that is mediocre. I do agree however that its at a higher price point that I would've like.

BUT, considering all the updates/packs that Criterion has provided us over the year. (Think about it, the bike pack itself could be milked to insanity) I consider it a fair amount.

jett

D-Member
Only thing that annoys me is that Criterion has made it so that it takes a LOT longer to get to Paradise City...you go through a bunch more menu and loadings screens now...

wtf were they thinking

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I got the 360 patch last night. You have to download the 1.6 patch from marketplace though(it runs about 900 megs).

Neat additions though, nighttime is a lot more manageable. How exactly is the PS3 version superior though? The game runs superlatively on the 360.

TChirath

Neo Member
itxaka said:

I don't quite agree that other developers will follow this pattern just because we "give back" to Criterion. If anything, it will only give the dense-headed corporates a message that any DLC sells.

The way to support Criterion and demonstrate to other developers the merit of Criterion's practice is to show that this type of game has legs (i.e. buy the game). I myself already bought the game 3 times because of the interesting free DLCs.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
jett said:
Only thing that annoys me is that Criterion has made it so that it takes a LOT longer to get to Paradise City...you go through a bunch more menu and loadings screens now...

wtf were they thinking
You and I think a lot alike. This is the one thing that bugged me too. I just want to get in the game. Not sift through 3 screens of confirmations. On the upside it does mask the loading.

toneroni said:
so uhhh which version is better for the ones who played the PS3 and 360 ones?
Both are the same, you won't lose. The one benefit for the PS3 is that it seems to get all the updates first. And there's a PSN version.

Brandon F said:
I got the 360 patch last night. You have to download the 1.6 patch from marketplace though(it runs about 900 megs).

Neat additions though, nighttime is a lot more manageable. How exactly is the PS3 version superior though? The game runs superlatively on the 360.
The differences are so minimal it really isn't worth arguing over.

shpankey

not an idiot
Brandon F said:

it's not. the only benefit on PS3 is having in on your hard drive.

i have the ps3 version but preferred playing it on 360 b/c of the controller. which is WAY better for racing games like this imo.

other than that, both are equally as good.

There are very very minimal differences, like a friends invite on the PS3 is just the subtle EasyDrive icon on the left bottom screen, whereas it's an actual 360 UI interface.

It's slightly more streamlined.

PS3 also benefits with the use of USB camera.

But really, you can't lose either way.

Returners

One more thing. Anyone who has extensive time with the bikes notice that they're slower?

I hopped on to it yesterday. IIRC before the update the Firehawk Competition version was @ full speed.

Now its 2 pts away from it.

Anyone noticed anything?

Brandon F

AlphaTwo00 said:
There are very very minimal differences, like a friends invite on the PS3 is just the subtle EasyDrive icon on the left bottom screen, whereas it's an actual 360 UI interface.

It's slightly more streamlined.

PS3 also benefits with the use of USB camera.

But really, you can't lose either way.

What USB camera benefits differ on PS3 compared to Webcam use on 360?

Brandon F

Returners said:
One more thing. Anyone who has extensive time with the bikes notice that they're slower?

I hopped on to it yesterday. IIRC before the update the Firehawk Competition version was @ full speed.

Anyone noticed anything?

Criterion mentioned on the patch notes that they purposefully adjusted most or all the vehicles. Making lower tier cars/bikes slower in return for making them more durable against traffic and having improved handling. The idea is to give newcomers an easier go at the early game.

shpankey

not an idiot
Returners said:

Anyone noticed anything?
Not just the bikes, the cars too. It was part of the update, it was done on purpose to make the game easier to get into in the beginning.

The one thing I love about the PS3 version is that you can transfer your save to a USB stick, then upload it to Criterion's site to discover the locations of places of smashes, billboards, and jumps you need to clear. And of course you can print them out. Take that GameFAQs!

http://www.burnoutteamrocks.com/

Returners

Brandon F said:
Criterion mentioned on the patch notes that they purposefully adjusted most or all the vehicles. Making lower tier cars/bikes slower in return for making them more durable against traffic and having improved handling. The idea is to give newcomers an easier go at the early game.

Errr... guys. Its the Firehawk Comp, the last bike? Slower yes no?

xSL4INx

Returners said:
Errr... guys. Its the Firehawk Comp, the last bike? Slower yes no?

I think they said that the made one of the bikes slower so it's a little more "accessible"? Don't quote me on that though.

Also, I was under the impression that the Legendary Cars pack came out this week, and it's very apparent that I'm wrong. Does anyone know when the Legendary Cars come out?

h3ro

Philanthropist said:
You can use a lot of standard USB PC webcams rather than having to buy the PS Eye. You can't do that on the 360.

Also the benefit of the PS3 is that I can use my 360 Vision camera on it. :D

I already got my 100%/Platinum so I don't have much to do in the game anymore, but I patched it yesterday just to give it a go. Not a fan of the extra load screens and having to pick right at the onset of gameplay whether I want Cars or Bikes. I like the new lighting and colors, really make the game pop more. Still smooth as heck, just like I remember it. New billboards are annoyingly bright, but no big deal, they should be easier to spot for those going for all them.

The physics seem a little refined as well. I always use the Jansen P12 and it felt like they dialed out more understeer and its much easier to initiate a drift in it (not like it was hard to do in it's original tuning).

Not really interested in the Party Pack, maybe I'll pick it up if they bundle the car pack with it...

Can't believe its been a year since I picked this up. Bring on the Island! :D

Philanthropist said:
You can use a lot of standard USB PC webcams rather than having to buy the PS Eye. You can't do that on the 360.
Any standard USB camera will do on the PS3 (including the 360 Vision Cam).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Oni Jazar said:
So when are they going to add rain to this game? That'd be sweet. :)

Burnout Paradise 2, I would imagine.

alright, kinda putting something together for some challenge/trophy acquiring for online games, the first of a few starts tomorrow. If you've got the PS3/PSN version sign up here

If anyone wants to manage something for 360 folks, feel free to use the ONLINE FORUM.

Top Bottom