• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Crisis said:
I really wanted to support Criterion with this DLC. It felt like I was doing something wrong getting all those awesome content packs for free when I got the game for $30 brand new. I've known about this update for a long time and wanted to support it out of principle but I can't bring myself to pay $10 for a mode that I will never use. After reading impressions of people who did play it the DLC just doesn't seem like it's worth purchasing at all. If they roll out a pack with more vehicles and/or more territory to drive around in I'll absolutely pay for that but this just doesn't seem worth it.
Oh hey, they are! Just wait, they've said all their content will be out by the summer. :lol

Returners

I bought the pack. Its ok. Nothing to write home about. For 9.99, if you like Burnout or feel like contributing to Criterion for giving us awesome free packs, buy it.

The update though...
The first immediate thing I noticed... is: the camera seems higher than the older one.

They reset all the status of the billboards (not the actual counter, they still know which one you've broken, its just that they show up as not broken) Once you break them again its all good.

One thing though, I really hate the color blue for super jumps. Don't know why, personal preference I guess.

Returners said:
One thing though, I really hate the color blue for super jumps. Don't know why, personal preference I guess.
Blue stands out the least when compared to the previous cones, and in contrast to the Yellow fence and Red boards now.

Returners

AlphaTwo00 said:
Blue stands out the least when compared to the previous cones, and in contrast to the Yellow fence and Red boards now.

Sigh, I guess thats true.

I heard from a friend that they nerfed the speed on the bikes and the F1 Racer, can anyone confirm?

Returners said:
Sigh, I guess thats true.

I heard from a friend that they nerfed the speed on the bikes and the F1 Racer, can anyone confirm?
I've noticed the following:

Isuka GT has way more airtime
Hawker Solo seems to be running just as fast, if not faster
Calvary is much slower, and much less prone to crash.

FightyF

Banned
Hey with the Ambient Occlusion on try driving beside a wall and see if the side of your car gets darker. Or drive by other cars. It's noticable in those pics when you look at the trees, tires (where they contact the ground), but it should be more noticable in the wheel well as well as other tight spaces on the car, but it isn't.

So I'm coming back to Burnout after about six months...quick question.

I have to start a brand new save to activate trophies right?

Just want to make sure. Thanks in advance.

Aladuf

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
So I'm coming back to Burnout after about six months...quick question.

I have to start a brand new save to activate trophies right?

Just want to make sure. Thanks in advance.
I don't think you have to start a new one to activate trophies (although I'm not positive) but there's a lot of trophies that will require the new gamesave to get them such as getting your D, C, B, A, and Burnout license and others like doing your first online challenge, etc.

USB Stick.

Don't delete.

When you get all of the trophies, delete your current file and load the old.

Btw, when I was messing around in 1.6, I noticed that all of my records were gone (including my 244 challenges completed to date). That said, once I joined a match online, all of my records synced back up.

Crisis averted!

NaviLink

Got the update, tested it out on 360 : works like a charm.

I'm playing with one of the last cars, so I didn't try the early ones yet to see if there's really a big change. However, the colour on "collectables" are very helpful to find the last ones, and the restart is very cool to get the elite licence and to avoid driving all the way back. The burnout Store is a nice touch, even if the 360 version doesn't get a real explorer, to see Crash TV directly on the console. for example. It's a bit awkward, since there's so much emphasis on the VOD content for this console. And the new opening is prettier than before.

Once again, Criterion rocks.

PatzCU

Jtwo said:
Burnout Paradise is one of the finest games I have ever played.
I'm 8 wins away from my A license... but this game is pure oldschool fun. There is nothing to worry about, nothing to learn or debate about. This game is just absolutely distilled fuckawesome.

It's actually somewhat of a life affirming event.
This is the game that reminds me why I LOVE playing videogames.

I bought this game a week ago (finally), and I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. I've already put in about 7 hours, which is an accomplishment due to my WoW addiction. So far I'm about halfway through the B-class license. I've spent most of my time just cruising the city and going insanely fast.

It's just a great game to pick up for an hour, screw around, maybe hop online, maybe find some jumps, whatever...

I'm still not use to these new colors yet though, they are indeed more vibrant. I can't decide if I like it better or not, but whatever I'll get used to it. Also, they seriously nerfed the beginner cars. I have about 15 cars so far and all of them have had their speed nerfed. Hopefully the end game cars are just as fast as they should be.

Sweet game though. I can't believe it only cost me $20. I would have happily paid $60 for this.

Everdred

Mar_ said:
Buy it 2 more times to prove your love.
I already did this! Can't wait for the new island now. Also, this game seems so much better on PS3 compared to when I played it on 360, which was before all the updates so it could just be that.

Ploid 3.0

Doing this made me wish burnout paradise had a screen shot feature. I like the new look. The colors pop now.
25fp0xy.jpg

10q9c8i.jpg

I would just like to thank Criterion for caving in to the complainers, such as myself, and adding in a restart option. I shall now attempt to get a higher license.

Also, has nighttime visibility significantly improved or am I going crazy? I used to have much more trouble driving in the dark.

strange_booj said:
I already did this! Can't wait for the new island now. Also, this game seems so much better on PS3 compared to when I played it on 360, which was before all the updates so it could just be that.
The 360 version has definitely gotten a lot smoother after these updates, if that is what you are referring to.

fresquito

Wow, the PC demo is really limited/annoying. I mean, I'd have prefered a m ore limited demo without as many interruptions. Yesterday I was trying the game for about an hour and the "purchase this" window popped in like twenty times. And many of them mid-air or going suicide. I understand it is a demo, but I thought the trial was too short?

Besides, today I've tried my first online, and after three or four atemps (the game would kick me out saying my network is wrong, when it's not) I got the chance to play against five more people. The load times were longer than desirable, but once the game started, everything went fine. Until I was reaching the finish line in third position (with my old and tired car) and the "purchase this" appear, prompting me to quit the game.

I mean, I understand you have to have a balance between free stuff and content/time, but this is ridiculous. I wasn't able to even finish a damn online event.

Anyway, has anybody with the trial had problems with the network?

crispyben

twinturbo2 said:
I THOUGHT IT WOULD SHOW UP AFTER I SCREW UP.
This would defeat the purpose of the game, which is to let you free of doing whatever event you chose without pushing you in any direction. That's why there was no retry option, and that's why it's not shoved under your nose now.

Returners said:
The first immediate thing I noticed... is: the camera seems higher than the older one.

They reset all the status of the billboards (not the actual counter, they still know which one you've broken, its just that they show up as not broken) Once you break them again its all good.
I didn't notice that, but the camera actually pulls back when you boost for a while... My billboards weren't reset, the broken ones flicker but they are smashed in the middle (as opposed to pristine).

a Master Ninja said:
Also, has nighttime visibility significantly improved or am I going crazy? I used to have much more trouble driving in the dark.
Yes they did, the night's now kinda violet instead of almost pitch black.

Ydahs said:
Wait, so the retry option is part of a package which I have to buy?
I'm at work so I can't drink, but I'm up for that game, Mar_ :lol

It has probably been cleared up already, but you don't have to fail or quit (by stopping or entering showdown) an event to be able to restart. Hit right even while you're in the middle of it and you'll have the option. At least for the one Burning Route I was serially fucking up in just now.

Speaking of which, I really wish there were a way to skip those Wrecked scenes :p

And downloading the new 800+ MB 360 patch doesn't automatically clear the earlier ~400MB bike patch from your HD, but it does include it. I manually deleted the bike patch from the dashboard, and was still able to play with them.

Ploid 3.0

You know, I'm not a trophy person, but since the game is so much more pleasant I might even start over from the beginning just to have more things to do whenever I max out. Like going through a rpg again every so often.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Anyone tried the PC Demo with an FFB wheel yet? How's it control and how're the effects?

tmaynard

I can't seem to find a way to play custom music on the PC version. I remember hearing the PS3 could do this, did they take that feature out of the game for PC users?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
tmaynard said:
I can't seem to find a way to play custom music on the PC version. I remember hearing the PS3 could do this, did they take that feature out of the game for PC users?

Just do what you do with every other PC game. Turn the sound down in game and keep your mp3 playing app in the background running.

I can't love this game. For some reason it's not in me. I want to love it, I just can't. Which is hard to say since Burnout 3 is one of my all time favourite games which i spent something like 800+hrs in.

I don't know what it is but i just can't enjoy the paradise. :(

tmaynard

evlcookie said:
Just do what you do with every other PC game. Turn the sound down in game and keep your mp3 playing app in the background running.

I can't love this game. For some reason it's not in me. I want to love it, I just can't. Which is hard to say since Burnout 3 is one of my all time favourite games which i spent something like 800+hrs in.

I was hoping I could switch tracks while I was in game. Oh well...

Lince

Banned
PC version runs and looks awesome... I love the subtle blur mixed with the sharp IQ, it definitely looks better than my PS3 version, unfortunately this is not like the DMC4 port with the extra modes and such, it's just a prettier version (that you shouldn't miss if you don't happen to own it on consoles)

edit: and the 360 controller implementation is just perfect, Criterion never disappoints.

Nikorasu

tmaynard said:
I was hoping I could switch tracks while I was in game. Oh well...

Players like winamp support global hotkeys for basic functionality. ex. ctrl+alt+ins for play, ctrl+alt+end for stop.

Or you could get a keyboard with media control keys.

polg

I'm sure that this must have been discussed here, but I just downloaded the whole PSN version of the game and, even though I've started the game from scratch I'm not getting the trophies.

I have all the bikes trophies from playing the disc version + DLC... Should I delete the old save and keep the new one? Delete both? What should I do?

Sectus

evlcookie said:

I'm kinda the same way. I do think the game is worth a purchase, but it's very flawed and not overall as good as Burnout 2 and 3.

I actually really like open-world racers (I love Most Wanted and TDU), but I just don't think it's very well implemented here. I have to keep checking the map in races to figure out where I'm going, but the game is so fast paced that I'll keep crashing when trying to figure out where I should turn. The tracks in the previous Burnout were much less frustrating to beat and much more fun to play.

Perhaps the blame is partially on me because I've never been able to learn the map in any open racer (that goes for GTA games too). It just feels like a giant web with streets everywhere, nothing feels memorable and it never makes immediate sense to me which road to take without looking at the map.

TDU was the only open-world racer where I kinda started to actually learn the map, and I think that was mainly because the roads were so straightforward.

And there's other parts of the game which I don't really like. I never liked the stunt events. Road rage is kinda fun, but I've played those events so much in the previous games and they haven't changed in gameplay at all. Marked man is just a very very dull version of cop chases in Most Wanted (even the cop chases in TDU are more exciting). Hunting for billboards is fun in the beginning when you actually see them, but after you have most of them you have to roam for ages to find them which makes it dull. Showtime is just a bad joke, not close to being as fun as any of the previous crash modes.

crispyben

polg said:
I'm sure that this must have been discussed here, but I just downloaded the whole PSN version of the game and, even though I've started the game from scratch I'm not getting the trophies.

I have all the bikes trophies from playing the disc version + DLC... Should I delete the old save and keep the new one? Delete both? What should I do?
I thought the BD and PSN versions used different saves under a single user ID, which means starting a new game with the PSN version should net you the early car trophies almost right away... Try and back up your old save, erase it, and see if you get the trophies you can get easily at the start of the "car game".

polg

crispyben said:
I thought the BD and PSN versions used different saves under a single user ID, which means starting a new game with the PSN version should net you the early car trophies almost right away... Try and back up your old save, erase it, and see if you get the trophies you can get easily at the start of the "car game".

worked like magic!

KTallguy

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
I would just like to thank Criterion for caving in to the complainers, such as myself, and adding in a restart option. I shall now attempt to get a higher license.

YES Thank you so much for adding this. My enjoyment of the game has increased tenfold.
I feel like I can take a challenge and stick with it, instead of dicking around and wasting time between them.

Gravijah

Oh shit, the retry patch is out? Gonna have to download it. I put the game down after getting to a burning route that LITERALLY had you going from one side of the map to another... I loved the game way too much to ruin it for myself with that shit, so I put the game down after a few tries and vowed to pick it back up when they added in the retry option.

Nikorasu

I LOVE this game. PC version is absolutely gorgeous and the sense of speed is incredible. Showtime is incredibly fun. So far my record damage is over 5 million. :D

I am kind of disappointed that it doesn't come with all the cool cars and extra island that we've been hearing about. I assumed this version was pretty much...everything. I'm guessing none of that will be free.

crispyben

Nikorasu said:
I am kind of disappointed that it doesn't come with all the cool cars and extra island that we've been hearing about. I assumed this version was pretty much...everything. I'm guessing none of that will be free.
You're guessing right, though there's so much free awesomeness with this game, it can't hurt to pay for some more awesomeness.

rezuth

crispyben said:
You're guessing right, though there's so much free awesomeness with this game, it can't hurt to pay for some more awesomeness.
I think they are shooting themself in the foot with that. Giving gamers all this stuff for free and then all of a sudden want money for stuff. I doubt many will buy it.

crispyben

rezuth said:
I think they are shooting themself in the foot with that. Giving gamers all this stuff for free and then all of a sudden want money for stuff. I doubt many will buy it.
It's not all of a sudden, they always said the "Year of Paradise" would bring free content, the rest was up in the air. I prefer that they still support the game a year on, even with paid DLC, than having given up on it long ago.

You may be right about that regarding the Party Pack or the Toy Cars, but these cannot be the most time-consuming packs, development-wise. The best sellers will likely be Big Surf Island and Legendary Cars, and I'm sure they'll make a profit on these, provided they don't wait too long to release them!

Sectus

I have to praise the bikes in the games. I haven't really tried them much until now, and they are really fun. They feel basic compared to cars, especially considering the limited amount of events available. But what's there is really fun. The handling is basic, but fun. There's only time trials, but that's actually probably my favourite event type in the game so that's good. And it's just neat roaming the city with the bike with the day cycle going by.

And specifically the driver on the bike looks so darn good. I prefer playing first person in all driving games, but I can't do that with the bike. The rotation of the camera feels odd in first person and the driver's animation is just too good to miss. The female driver looks surprisingly sexy. They should add a new "screensaver" which just slowly rotates around the bike while it's still, those animations are just mesmerizing.

Mar

Initial impressions weren't so good for the latest patch. I'm not liking the new bouncing blue logo thing, nor the menus and how long it takes to get in game now. But, once in game, it looks terrific. The visibility is vastly improved not only at night but during the day too. Everything is much clearer, the colours are great. Especially at night.

Are the overcast skies new? I don't remember them before. Driving at night with a cloudy sky was awesome.

I bought the party pack but haven't played it yet. I'm going to save that for when I'm in an achievement whoring mood.

itxaka

Defeatist
Returners said:
I bought the pack. Its ok. Nothing to write home about. For 9.99, if you like Burnout or feel like contributing to Criterion for giving us awesome free packs, buy it.

I did, just for contributing, and because i will probably use it to play with my GF.

I hate this, now I have to smash everything again D:

Anyway, I think the races are kind of easy now, as I can win them with no turbo and crashing 1 or 2 times. Rivals seem to be much more slower but at least they don't all pass you at the start :D

Sean

Banned
Didn't buy the Party Pack but downloaded the free v1.6 update. The new billboards and gate smashes are so much easier to spot now.

And the retry option works perfectly - load times when restarting events are only 3 seconds (though I've got it installed to the 360's HDD). It'll really make you wonder why this wasn't there in the first place.

Volcynika

robut said:
It doesn't say on this page where the restart option is dude.
You hit right on the dpad and choose start last event.

Not sure how your post pages are setup, but it was 3 posts above the user I quoted (and on the same page for me), just saying. :p

Sectus

Sean said:
Didn't buy the Party Pack but downloaded the free v1.6 update. The new billboards and gate smashes are so much easier to spot now.

And the retry option works perfectly - load times when restarting events are only 3 seconds (though I've got it installed to the 360's HDD). It'll really make you wonder why this wasn't there in the first place.
It's something like 3 seconds when running the game off the DVD too. The loading argument was obviously just a bad excuse to cover up
evil
design decisions.

Mar

Returners said:

Hmm? 360 version here, and all my billboards remain broken. They are now blinking with like a smashed part in the middle.

Top Bottom