• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

n3ss

aka acr0nym
So I just bought this game from the PSN Store for $20 and I don't see this retry feature... I must be doing it wrong :(

Wow the party pack was really good. I wasn't expecting it to be that much fun. I just played a couple of rounds with my little sister, and we had a great time. Great work Criterion.

Also did anyone notice a slight graphical update? Colors seem to look better now. Is that just me or was it in the patch?

CoG

Decisions. Already have it for the 360. Want it for the PS3 after John Davison's comment that it has the most soul (and it's only $20). But really want it on the PC to see what it looks like with full-on graphics.

Could this be the first game I get for three systems?!?

Mar

Brandon F said:
How exactly is the PS3 version superior though? The game runs superlatively on the 360.

There aren't really any differences. But Criterion looooooove the PS3. I don't know what they hate about the 360 so much, but that version is more of an after thought to them. They hardly ever mention it on their podcasts / vidcasts. And they like to tell people to get it on PS3.

It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft did something to piss them off though. Microsoft have always been morons.

AlphaTwo00 said:
There are very very minimal differences, like a friends invite on the PS3 is just the subtle EasyDrive icon on the left bottom screen, whereas it's an actual 360 UI interface.

This is wrong. It's also in the easy drive menu, but you have the option of doing it in the 360 UI as well. Why you would bother is beyond me though, when you can just press right on the dpad.

n3ss said:
So I just bought this game from the PSN Store for $20 and I don't see this retry feature... I must be doing it wrong :(

Time to take another swig!

CoG said:
Decisions. Already have it for the 360. Want it for the PS3 after John Davison's comment that it has the most soul (and it's only $20). But really want it on the PC to see what it looks like with full-on graphics.

Could this be the first game I get for three systems?!?
Download the PC demo, see what it looks like, then go out and buy the PS3 Ultimate Box.

jett

D-Member
Some of these changes are fucking strange. On the PS3 you can't change your custom soundtrack when you freeburn anymore...

My selections in the Options menu aren't saved anymore either. They reset everytime I quit the game. Criterion should've tested this shit before releasing it.

Mar_ said:
This is wrong. It's also in the easy drive menu, but you have the option of doing it in the 360 UI as well. Why you would bother is beyond me though, when you can just press right on the dpad.
Yes. The invite is also in the Easy Drive menu. But once you do hit send. The 360 UI pops in.

To accept and to send invites, the 360 UI will always show up.

This isn't a knock on the 360 version (as that's what I bought first), and only have bought the PSN version recently. I still prefer the 360 controller over the PS3 one for this, but it does feel the integration on this PS3 version has been done better.

Mar

AlphaTwo00 said:
Yes. The invite is also in the Easy Drive menu. But once you do hit send. The 360 UI pops in.

This isn't a knock on the 360 version (as that's what I bought first), and only have bought the PSN version recently. I still prefer the 360 controller over the PS3 one for this, but it does feel the integration on this PS3 version has been done better.

I don't know if this is something that existed before I bought the game and then changed. But the UI doesn't pop in. At least for sending invites. To accept maybe that's different. But I've hosted many a game with my friends and have never gone to the 360 UI.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
yay, restart. If you don't see it in the d-pad menu, restart the game. For some reason the changes weren't added after I downloaded the update.

Mrbob

This game is near impossible to find in stores. On both ps3 and 360. Sold out everywhere.

I guess I'll just get it on PSN. IS there a download restriction on purchased content?

Brandon F said:
What about 360 owners? They can't see what PCPD is all about on Paradise News?

Should have bought the definitive version.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Mrbob said:
I guess I'll just get it on PSN. IS there a download restriction on purchased content?

Burnout Paradise can be downloaded on 5 different PS3 consoles, if that's what you're talking about.

crispyben

Merino said:
1. At the top-middle of the screen there's the Street Name Signs. When you need to make a turn the street name either on the left or the right will start flashing. Take that turn to get to the finish line.
I may be wrong, but I believe ALL street names pop up like that, regardless of where you're headed...

jett said:
Is it me or are the physics more ridiculous now? Everytime I crash my car goes flying off into the air.

I noticed this myself when I was doing a Party challenge with the Inferno Van. I drove off of one of the hangars in the airfield and floated through the grey fuselage with very little effort.

I don't usually use the Inferno Van so for all I know it could be really good for the fuselage challenges but it definitely made me do a double take.

Wizpig

BeeDog said:
Why did they remove it for the PS3 version? I found it pretty good.
Wait, they removed it?
And why couldn't they put that "new premium mode" news on the 360 too? :|
Bit confused here.

crispyben

Wizpig said:
Wait, they removed it?
And why couldn't they put that "new premium mode" news on the 360 too? :|
Bit confused here.
They removed the "news page" on PS3 to make room for a web-based in-game site. And since the Xbox 360 doesn't have a web browser...

n3ss

aka acr0nym
alr1ghtstart said:
yay, restart. If you don't see it in the d-pad menu, restart the game. For some reason the changes weren't added after I downloaded the update.

Yeah I did not see it... so, restart and it will auto update?

AlphaTwo00 said:

Nah that's not true. Accepting invites may require opening the guide. I can't remember because I usually host but sending invites does not open the guide.

Felix Lighter said:
Nah that's not true. Accepting invites may require opening the guide. I can't remember because I usually host but sending invites does not open the guide.
Sending doesn't. Accepting does.

Mar

AlphaTwo00 said:
Sending doesn't. Accepting does.

Still wrong.

Here's a quote from the instruction manual:

FRIENDS

Select a name with a [] icon and select JOIN GAME to Freeburn Online with them. Alternatively select SEND INVITE to ask a player to join you (a [] icon appears next to their name). If someone invites you, a [] icon appears next to their name - select their name to accept or decline.

I think the confusion exists because a lot of the time it's easier to just go into the 360 UI and invite / accept. Because you get some feedback that what you did is actually working. Many times I'd send an invite via the easy drive menu and went back later only to notice the icon didn't appear next to their name. So I'd go into the 360 UI and send an invite and that always worked. Not that it didn't work in the easy drive menu. Just without any feedback you were never sure if anything happened or not.

FightyF

Banned
Anyone down for a Burnout Live Party tonight? I'll have to do some HDD management to get this latest patch on (I only have 500Mb left :p), but I'm down for playing with some of you in Freeburn (that's where we complete team challanges, right?)

I'll post in here once (and if) I get the party started. I was supposed to go skating tonight, we may decide to do something else. If not LETS GET THIS PAWTY STAWTED.

Ploid 3.0

Rapping Granny said:
OMG restart makes it feel like a game.

don't know if that makes any sense, but it's gamey now.

I'll stop now

Yes, i'm loving the restart. No more long hikes up the beaten path. That long time until restart really made me dislike things, and maybe now I'll give stun runs a fair shake. The stunt events were ok at low license levels but they just became impossible the higher I got.

Pity that Burnout has yet to hit Steam. I was getting into the launch day excitement and hoping to dig into it over the weekend. Maybe they'll get things together for the DLC as that would be an equally fun time to start.

Surfheart

itxaka said:
Everybody should pay for the party pack or at least one of the future DLC incoming to show support to their approach to DLC.

They have show that other uses of the "evil" DLC can be done, and support can be given to consumers, now give them back your support if you want other games to follow this pattern!

I double-dipped. I've done my part :lol

Sectus

Merino said:
I think you are playing the game the wrong way. It's absolutely not that necessary to learn the whole map in BP. I'll give you 3 tips so you can win pretty much everything without knowing the map (which really isn't that complicated).

1. At the top-middle of the screen there's the Street Name Signs. When you need to make a turn the street name either on the left or the right will start flashing. Take that turn to get to the finish line.

2. Look at the signal lights at the back of the car. Quite a bit of time before you need to make corner the left or right light will start flashing

3. Look on your HUD map during straights and guess where it's best to go (sometimes you might find a faster route then the one provided by points nr1 and nr2)
1. I already knew that, but that only helps a little. Even if I know I should turn within 5 seconds or so, I find it hard to actually see the turn sometimes. I don't have that problem in other racing games which blocks off other roads, adds giant arrows showing the turns (like the previous Burnout games did) and is a lot slower. I didn't know about 2., that might help a little more.

Another problem is that the autogenerated path is sometimes absolutely wrong. There's been a few times it's been leading away from the next checkpoint, I've got no idea why but it's happened a few times.

3. You have no idea how much I look at the map. :p I've started to actually check the full map quite often to figure out where to go. But I really hate doing that as it breaks up the gameplay badly. But on the other hand, I'm tired of taking turns which leads to nowhere.

itxaka said:
Everybody should pay for the party pack or at least one of the future DLC incoming to show support to their approach to DLC.

They have show that other uses of the "evil" DLC can be done, and support can be given to consumers, now give them back your support if you want other games to follow this pattern!

That's ridiculous. The best way to support Criterion's free updates is to download them and play the game some more. Those updates are funded by ad revenue, which is based on the number of people playing the game.

The premium DLC will pay for itself. Or it won't. If you're not interested in local multiplayer (controller swapping) for this game, you shouldn't spend $10 on the Party Pack. No one should feel obligated to do so just because they appreciate the free updates.

jett

D-Member

I already paid for the game. I'm not buying anything I don't want to, and the party pack looks entirely retarded.

h3ro

jett said:
I already paid for the game. I'm not buying anything I don't want to, and the party pack looks entirely retarded.

I agree. I've played this game for over a year now. I've gotten to 100% twice and I paid full price for it at launch. It's great how Criterion have supported their product, its the reason I'm still playing it, but I have no use for the Party Pack at all. I'm no Trophy monger. I'll pick up the car pack though. I really want that Jansen 88 Special.... :D

Sean

Banned
jett said:

That's how I feel, I'm not going to buy something I have no interest in just to support Criterion. If anything that plan will backfire and they'll realize they could've been charging for DLC all along. You guys can show your appreciation in other ways (by recommending the game to people etc) rather than pissing away ten bucks on something you'll never use.

Yay, they finally made Paradise a playable game. With how easily restart has been added it just makes them look dumb as hell for not doing it in the first place.

Played a lot tonight, had fun. I still hate the bikes though, and the soundtrack is worse than I remember. "Girlfriend" is actually a highlight.

Bought the PC version today. I now have 3 versions of the game.

Also, the Party Pack is fun for little kids as well because you don't have to try as hard to go. The events that I did with my 3y/o had boost on all the time so you only had to steer. much easier for him to do that.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Anyone tried playing the PC version with an FFB wheel yet? How are the effects and steering response?

Flunkie

Banned
bune duggy said:
Bought the PC version today. I now have 3 versions of the game.

Also, the Party Pack is fun for little kids as well because you don't have to try as hard to go. The events that I did with my 3y/o had boost on all the time so you only had to steer. much easier for him to do that.
I hadn't thought of buying it for my 4 year old nephew (who's always at my house). He's always watching me play and loves it - maybe I can buy this and teach him how to play now.

Is there anyway to make the crashes always fast? I like them so much better that way then when they are slow and drawn out. I've looked for it in options but can't find anything. Really hoping I can change it. Fast crashes scare the shit out of me. Which is why they're so awesome in the first place. :D

Top Bottom