• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

jett

D-Member
WasabiKing said:
The one thing I love about the PS3 version is that you can transfer your save to a USB stick, then upload it to Criterion's site to discover the locations of places of smashes, billboards, and jumps you need to clear. And of course you can print them out. Take that GameFAQs!

http://www.burnoutteamrocks.com/

waaaaaah i didn't know that :O

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
jett said:
Only thing that annoys me is that Criterion has made it so that it takes a LOT longer to get to Paradise City...you go through a bunch more menu and loadings screens now...

wtf were they thinking

Yeah, I don't get the need for the browser and Party shit. Both could be elsewhere, like a start menu and right on DPad stuff, respectively.

crispyben said:
I thought the BD and PSN versions used different saves under a single user ID, which means starting a new game with the PSN version should net you the early car trophies almost right away... Try and back up your old save, erase it, and see if you get the trophies you can get easily at the start of the "car game".
actually you can have both saves on at the same time. I never deleted my disc save and I've had no problem with trophies on the PSN version.

Merino

Sectus said:
I'm kinda the same way. I do think the game is worth a purchase, but it's very flawed and not overall as good as Burnout 2 and 3.

Perhaps the blame is partially on me because I've never been able to learn the map in any open racer (that goes for GTA games too). It just feels like a giant web with streets everywhere, nothing feels memorable and it never makes immediate sense to me which road to take without looking at the map.

TDU was the only open-world racer where I kinda started to actually learn the map, and I think that was mainly because the roads were so straightforward.
I think you are playing the game the wrong way. It's absolutely not that necessary to learn the whole map in BP. I'll give you 3 tips so you can win pretty much everything without knowing the map (which really isn't that complicated).

1. At the top-middle of the screen there's the Street Name Signs. When you need to make a turn the street name either on the left or the right will start flashing. Take that turn to get to the finish line.

2. Look at the signal lights at the back of the car. Quite a bit of time before you need to make corner the left or right light will start flashing

3. Look on your HUD map during straights and guess where it's best to go (sometimes you might find a faster route then the one provided by points nr1 and nr2)

shpankey

not an idiot
I defintely do not know the map, nor do I even look at the mini-map. I use methods 1 & 2 (above post) for racing and that's all I need.

Otherwise I just drive around and do shit. There's literally SO much shit you can do it will take forever, and by that time you probably will know the map. Which I guess is kind of the point in the way they designed the game.

I'm still upset about losing the ability to set or change the soundtrack when online. Why on earth would they take that OUT?

Returners

http://www.criteriongames.com/article.php?artID=393

Criterion Games said:
If the release of the Party Pack wasn't enough for you, we've got more!

Today, we're proud to announce a brand new pack for 2009.

But, you'll have to head for the pages of the all new Criterion Games Network in Burnout Paradise on PS3 or PC to find out about this one.

See you there!

3258794394_f7cc8d15db.jpg

Come on guys, anyone on BP right now? SPILL.

Brandon F said:
What about 360 owners? They can't see what PCPD is all about on Paradise News?
360 owners got to keep the Newsfeed screen that was added in Cagney. I'm assuming that's where it's going to go.

epmode

It's kind of amazing to me that the developers of the most widely used web browser never bothered to make a 360 version, while Sony and Nintendo(!) have a solution for their consoles.

BeeDog

AlphaTwo00 said:
360 owners got to keep the Newsfeed screen that was added in Cagney. I'm assuming that's where it's going to go.

Why did they remove it for the PS3 version? I found it pretty good.

birdman

Looking at the Criterion Network page on the PS3 right now and I can confirm that the new premium pack is in fact gonna be Cops and Robbers.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ok, so, the PC Version came out and, as i understand, there's a store INSIDE the game, that allows me to upgrade the demo to the final version.

Will i also be able to buy expansions from inside that store aswell?

If so, what does that mean to a Steam version of Burnout Paradise? I totally want to buy the game on PC, but i wanted to get it on steam, but these points are making me worried...

Returners

drizzle said:
Will i also be able to buy expansions from inside that store aswell?

If so, what does that mean to a Steam version of Burnout Paradise? I totally want to buy the game on PC, but i wanted to get it on steam, but these points are making me worried...

Yes. I think PC's going to patched the same way as 360 or PS3. Everything gets DLed as an update, and then a key can be purchased.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Returners said:
Yes. I think PC's going to patched the same way as 360 or PS3. Everything gets DLed as an update, and then a key can be purchased.

Yeah, i know, but that's not what i meant.. :D

shpankey

not an idiot
epmode said:
It's kind of amazing to me that the developers of the most widely used web browser never bothered to make a 360 version, while Sony and Nintendo(!) have a solution for their consoles.
From the beginning MSFT has always said they are not a PC, that they're a gaming system and if you want to browse the web get a pc. Since then they've expanded that out quite a bit and are obviously shooting for a media hub device. But back in those days, GAF with their tinfoil hats used to scream bloody murder about not wanting a PC and wanting a pure gaming console. Turned out, the whole time Sony kept pimping themselves as a computer. It's weird how that worked out and how it didn't bother anyone after it was supposedly a big deal back then.

not that i personally cared either way.

sorry, just ranting. but if you were on gaf back in the early xbox days you would remember this crap too.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Returners said:
I see on the PC store theres a place to input product key or something. I assuming when you buy it you're going to get the product key.

Ok, so, the way i see it, the online store inside burnout paradise is nothing more than a direct connection to the EA Store.

So there's a store inside the game. My question is: Since EA has titles on Steam now, would that make impossible for burnout paradise to appear on Steam?

Because I DESPISE EA Store, but i really want burnout paradise. Direct2Drive is not an option, since, as you might not believe it, i don't live in the US. A boxed copy is not going to show up down here anytime soon either. I was gonna get the 360 version, but when i heard it was gonna come to the PC, I waited for that version instead, but I want it on Steam. It kind of has to be on Steam.

I just think that it might not come out on Steam, because of the in-game online store thing.

Returners

drizzle said:
Ok, so, the way i see it, the online store inside burnout paradise is nothing more than a direct connection to the EA Store.

So there's a store inside the game. My question is: Since EA has titles on Steam now, would that make impossible for burnout paradise to appear on Steam?

Because I DESPISE EA Store, but i really want burnout paradise. Direct2Drive is not an option, since, as you might not believe it, i don't live in the US. A boxed copy is not going to show up down here anytime soon either. I was gonna get the 360 version, but when i heard it was gonna come to the PC, I waited for that version instead, but I want it on Steam. It kind of has to be on Steam.

I just think that it might not come out on Steam, because of the in-game online store thing.

Well. It might come out as a demo on steam. So you can own it. And IF its linked to your EA account, you log in, verify your EA account, and it should just work.

People who own the PC version should verify.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Returners said:
Well. It might come out as a demo on steam. So you can own it. And IF its linked to your EA account, you log in, verify your EA account, and it should just work.

It didn't so far, and that's kind of what's worrying me. Not even on the coming soon area.
Maybe i should move my question to the Steam thread...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The retry function is so well-integrated into the game that I think I'd now call this the best racing game ever created. It's unbelievable, and being able to instantly retry races that go cross-map basically takes away my only major complaint. Plus, all those that whined about it being put IN to the game don't ever have to see it because of how well it's hidden in the menu system.

Unbelievable job, Criterion. This is truly the game of the forever.

In today's world of quick sequels with few new modes/options, it's incredibly refreshing to see a developer support a current game with such amazing content. As fans, we need to support their content as much as possible because if this trend catches on, gaming will only get better and better.

Wizpig

The Party Pack seems awesome and i'd love to support the team; unfortunately i don't really play in offline multiplayer with my friends and 800 is a bit too much.
But does it add some new online features, too? something else?
Most importantly; are the new colorful visuals included in the free update aswell?

jett

D-Member
So uh what's the difference between cops and robbers and wanted man(or whatever it's called in the game)?

Merino

Wizpig said:
The Party Pack seems awesome and i'd love to support the team; unfortunately i don't really play in offline multiplayer with my friends and 800 is a bit too much.
But does it add some new online features, too? something else?
Most importantly; are the new colorful visuals included in the free update aswell?
I have the exact same thing. Would love to support Criterion by paying for DLC but I know I'll never use it. And it does seem really cool looking at their latest CrashTV podcast.

Anyway there's loads of other DLC coming (like 6 packs or something) to support them later.

And yes the new visuals are in the free update. Looks alot better imho.

Greg

So... thinking about grabbing this off PSN - worth the 20 bucks?

I remember renting it back when it released and I wasn't the biggest fan, but... 20 bucks?!

shpankey

not an idiot
Greg said:

I remember renting it back when it released and I wasn't the biggest fan, but... 20 bucks?!
Way back in the day when i first tried out the demo i didn't really like it a whole lot. Though it was ok. After EvilAvatar gave it their racing goty i went back and tried it again, holy crap now.. the game is a masterpiece. You should try it out now, so much has improved. The game is incredible... trust me on this, for $20 you are getting a steal. Get it.

Greg

Well, you guys are convincing - I just cycled through the menus on the PSN store really fast and hit confirm before I could tell myself otherwise.

I recall being a bit overwhelmed by the whole thing when I rented it... maybe it was because I knew I wasn't going to be able to finish the whole thing before taking it back. No choice but to give it a try now. :lol

Chris R

I updated, and was wondering why I couldn't ever get showtime mode started (you have to finish a certain number of events), and while showtime mode is great, I'd still kill for a CLASSIC crash mode, with hotseat options :(

Wizpig

rhfb said:
and while showtime mode is great, I'd still kill for a CLASSIC crash mode, with hotseat options :(
I'd pay for that.
Like, even 400 points.

Thanks for the replies before, by the way.

PatzCU

Greg said:
Well, you guys are convincing - I just cycled through the menus on the PSN store really fast and hit confirm before I could tell myself otherwise.

I recall being a bit overwhelmed by the whole thing when I rented it... maybe it was because I knew I wasn't going to be able to finish the whole thing before taking it back. No choice but to give it a try now. :lol

You will not regret it. I'm mad I didn't buy this earlier than I did.

Merino

I noticed something new just now, though I'm not quite sure if this came with the most recent update or if I'm just lttp.

But on the little HUD map in the corner, there's suddenly an enlarged Junkyard icon continuously displayed around the edges of the map to guide you to the nearest Junkyard.
Also, when you are in a vehicle that hasn't completed it's burning route, it will guide you with a similar enlarged icon towards the spot where you can start the burnout route.

Love it!

Returners

Merino said:
I noticed something new just now, though I'm not quite sure if this came with the most recent update or if I'm just lttp.

But on the little HUD map in the corner, there's suddenly an enlarged Junkyard icon continuously displayed around the edges of the map to guide you to the nearest Junkyard.
Also, when you are in a vehicle that hasn't completed it's burning route, it will guide you with a similar enlarged icon towards the spot where you can start the burnout route.

Love it!

The second part's always been there. Always tell you where to go for that burning route.

This first though, maybe...

jett

D-Member
Is it me or are the physics more ridiculous now? Everytime I crash my car goes flying off into the air.

AlphaTwo00 said:
It sounds more like the old Team Road Rage that was in Revenge.

I wonder if they're gonna charge money for that.

Merino

Greg said:

it's worth 4 times that much so yeah dude buy it. Best open world racer ever created and it keeps on getting better.

Top Bottom