• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

shpankey

not an idiot
glad they did the color thing, that was one thing that always bothered me about the graphics, how dull the colors were.

BeeDog

Just bought the party pack, and since it was so late at night, I decided to try it out. Can't really recommend it, since:

1) the interface is pretty cumbersome, even if it's simple. For example, on some speed races, there are occasional checkpoints throughout, but they only show the time you pass by, not any comparison time compared to the best party player. Also, there's no ranking until the end of a round, for good or bad. A better HUD that really pronounces the point difference during the race/activity itself would've been good. These points aren't really major, but the second one is...

2) the complete lack of difficulty or incentive to do extra well in challenges. As an example, one of the challenges I got was to do a barrel roll off the ramp at the beach. The problem is, the car is placed STRAIGHT in front of the ramp, so all you have to do is push down the gas, boost and you'll nail the barrel roll with 100% security. Sure, you can try to get a double barrel roll, but it takes time and with the risk of losing the round, the incentive is pretty bad. Another example of a challenge was to jump off the ramp near the dam. Again you're pretty much placed in front of the ramp, and it's practically impossible to fail this. And afaik, there's no bonus if you try to do anything more extravagant. Generally, the challenges I've tried so far are prett unexiting.

Well, the party pack is good for whoring some extremely easy trophies/achievement points, but from what I've played, it would not be the most fun party mode around.

Haunted

WasabiKing said:
Ditto and the I hate the new colors.
You mean billboards and gates? Too gaudy for you?

I dislike that every broken billboard flickers in the exact same time interval, looks strange somehow. There's not too many places where there are several billboards in sight at the same time, though, so it's not a biggie.

jasonng

So awesome. Turns out you can play online even with the PC trial. I don't think it matters to me anymore, I'm definitely sold on this game.

Kryten

The main update isn't available for any 360 owners yet, Criterion are working on some issues (scroll back for a link).

Look so pretty and smooth on PC, no frame-rate drops if I use an anti-aliasing setting under 8x. However...

Does anyone else have pretty bad screen tearing on Burnout PC? I have v-sync turned on, and fraps confirms a solid 60fps. I'm using Forceware 181.22.

edit: nevermind, patch fixed it.

Mar

AVclub said:
What is "SSAO"?

sao.jpg

TouchMyBox said:
Look so pretty and smooth on PC, no frame-rate drops if I use an anti-aliasing setting under 8x. However...

Does anyone else have pretty bad screen tearing on Burnout PC? I have v-sync turned on, and fraps confirms a solid 60fps. I'm using Forceware 181.22.

I'm using 181.22 as well and I'm using 8x AA as well. I don't notice screen tearing, but if I turn the SSAO on the frame rate drops to about half what it was before. I've got a GeForce 8800 GTX.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
M3wThr33 said:
That's fucking ridiculous. If you don't pay for gold you have to wait for patches?

You had to for the Cagney update. And you had to manually download it from the marketplace. It was such bullshit.

M3wThr33

Banned
Wario64 said:
You had to for the Cagney update. And you had to manually download it from the marketplace. It was such bullshit.
I fucking hate Microsoft's policies on shit like that.
I really do.

I understand they don't want to make the 360 like PC gaming and to discourage devs from such practices of SOME things, but god damn. The way they stomp all over content updates is aggravating.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Stormwatch said:
The 1.6 Patch is on the Marketplace now. 825.45 MB

Damn why is it so huge? The PS3 patch as only like 250 MB.

I wonder if I should just sell my X360 copy now that I have the PSN version.

Wario64 said:
Hm, that'd make sense. I wonder if it deletes the old patch then when you get the 1.6 patch
Yes. In fact, check your download history: The last three updates are "Unknown Content" and cannot be re-downloaded.

Psychotext said:
Wow... they must have sacrificed some virgins to get MS to allow them a patch of that sort of size. :lol
It's not a "patch". That's the fun part.

MS allows for "Title Updates", which is MS's patches. They are much much smaller in size, and should be just code. Sony's version of patch is a much looser term, where it can be content and code.

For Burnout to work, Criterion had to work with MS for the exception: Burnout gets a "Title Update", which disconnects players from going online unless they have the latest content pack from the marketplace. However, this content pack, unlike other DLC, is not tied to the GamerTag (I was suprised when I tried this on an unconnected 360).

This should be available for Silver users right now, because it is required if you even want to start the game. (The Web interface doesn't denote any special "gold member only" info)

Pimpbaa

Costanza said:
Does BP have issues with installing to the 360 HD? It seems to take forever to load at the start...

When I had the 360 version, it took forever to load even when installed on the hard drive for me as well. PS3 version loads much faster. I dunno whats going on because usually 360 games installed to the hard drive usually load faster.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
AlphaTwo00 said:
This should be available for Silver users right now, because it is required if you even want to start the game. (The Web interface doesn't denote any special "gold member only" info)

I can confirm this. When you boot the game, it asks if you want to update. If you say no, you can't play online. I'm able to download it as a silver member, thankfully

jasonng

So is this thread going to be the place where I find other Gaffers to play PC with? Only a few games in and already I'm tried of the "OH shit, he's asian" responses when they see my mug shot. I forget that I have webcam.

Anyways, my alias is Thisisjasonng. I'll see if I can get the full game tomorrow.

Anthropic

Jtwo said:
Does the PC version have ingame custom soundtracks?
I know you can just like, play music with a media player in the background.. but it be cooler do it with the ingame "radio."

Or like, this might sound really stupid but could you sub out the default tracks with music of your own? What folder is it in?

I second this question. I bought the game today and I can't find it but it seems like an option it would make sense for them to put in.

Truly amazing work Criterion.

A testament to a truly open world game when you disregard everything they put in for you to do and just play. Well worth the wait, it runs beautifully. Realtime ambient occlusion, such a worthelss addition to the PC version in my opinion.

McLovin

Man.. I have absolutely no interest in that party play mode.. but these guys deserve my money.. I guess I'll buy it tomorrow :lol

Well... I've left the 360 downloading the update. Slow as hell, but I suppose at least I'll have something new and shiny to look at tomorrow. :)

jett

D-Member
I LOVE the new color scheme, everything looks so vibrant and fresh, some places are almost unrecognizable.

jett

D-Member
flipswitch said:
Does the PS3 version have ambient occlusion to it?

...I'm gonna take a wild guess and say no. :p

Speaking of which, truthfully I don't see a single difference in the pictures posted in this thread.

Nikorasu

This game is so awesome. :eek:

I'm a little confused about the dlc though. I thought this release had an extra island or something. If it's not out yet, will pc users get it for free?

Also regarding SSAO, I understand the concept and how it works, I just don't see a lot of real improvement the way it is being used in games. It just tends to produce some strange black borders on objects that looks odd from a distance and in games like crysis warhead can produce some weird graphic glitches in certain parts (like in the tunnel at the beginning of the second ice level).

Mar_ said:

vegemite patch am confirmed??

Bog said:
I got the update... ok, so how do I restart races when I lose?

yeah i couldn't find it either.. watched the podcast later and it looks like the restart race option is in the quickmenu or whatever it's called (dpad right on ps3)

Volcynika

So, this thread will actually be multiple people asking where restart is but not reading the multiple posts of people pointing out where the option is available.

^The man above me has the correct idea.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Volcynika said:
So, this thread will actually be multiple people asking where restart is but not reading the multiple posts of people pointing out where the option is available.

I THOUGHT IT WOULD SHOW UP AFTER I SCREW UP.

And the stunt runs are BRUTAL now that I have the Elite license. I can't do 'em.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Burnout Paradise is one of the finest games I have ever played.
I'm 8 wins away from my A license... but this game is pure oldschool fun. There is nothing to worry about, nothing to learn or debate about. This game is just absolutely distilled fuckawesome.

It's actually somewhat of a life affirming event.
This is the game that reminds me why I LOVE playing videogames.

twinturbo2 said:
I THOUGHT IT WOULD SHOW UP AFTER I SCREW UP.

And the stunt runs are BRUTAL now that I have the Elite license. I can't do 'em.
Called it two pages ago.

The Stunt Run seems to be tweaked to the high end players once you are that far up. I mean, when they are talking to guys that are racking up 11 Billion points and was breaking their in game counter, yes, then it needed tweaks.

Volcynika said:

It doesn't say on this page where the restart option is dude.
You hit right on the dpad and choose start last event.

I've not played this game in a long time. I messed around with the bikes and night and day thing. When I started it up just now the sun was going down and I had to play for like 20 minutes before the sun started to come up. There's no way to just set to daytime is there? I don't like driving in the dark. Has it been a problem for other people or is it something I just need to get used to. If I really get back in the game I'm afraid I'm going to be going nuts waiting for the sun to come back up.

robut said:
It doesn't say on this page where the restart option is dude.
You hit right on the dpad and choose start last event.

I've not played this game in a long time. I messed around with the bikes and night and day thing. When I started it up just now the sun was going down and I had to play for like 20 minutes before the sun started to come up. There's no way to just set to daytime is there? I don't like driving in the dark. Has it been a problem for other people or is it something I just need to get used to. If I really get back in the game I'm afraid I'm going to be going nuts waiting for the sun to come back up.
It's in the options. Select/Back Button > Options > Time of Day.

Choice of:

Constant (Midday, Midnight, Evening, Sunrise)
24 Minute Clock
48 Minutes Clock
24 Hour Clock?
Current local time.

Crisis

Banned
I really wanted to support Criterion with this DLC. It felt like I was doing something wrong getting all those awesome content packs for free when I got the game for $30 brand new. I've known about this update for a long time and wanted to support it out of principle but I can't bring myself to pay $10 for a mode that I will never use. After reading impressions of people who did play it the DLC just doesn't seem like it's worth purchasing at all. If they roll out a pack with more vehicles and/or more territory to drive around in I'll absolutely pay for that but this just doesn't seem worth it.

Top Bottom