• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

ZeMMiK

Got the ultimate pack this weekend, like it so far...it took me 2 hrs to understand how to win a race and don´t get lost...

Returners

C4Lukins said:
So, I hate all of you for getting me excited about the game, with all of the new updates, and then quickly realizing it still sucks after repurchasing it and downloading the DLC. I do not know what is wrong with you people, but congrats on continuing the myth that this game is anything more then then the death of a great franchise. I would like to physically slap each and every one of you.

You sound upset.

Its a great game, appreciate it. Now with restart, its even better (to some people)!

jacobs34

C4Lukins said:
So, I hate all of you for getting me excited about the game, with all of the new updates, and then quickly realizing it still sucks after repurchasing it and downloading the DLC. I do not know what is wrong with you people, but congrats on continuing the myth that this game is anything more then then the death of a great franchise. I would like to physically slap each and every one of you.

U Mad?

C4Lukins

Returners said:
You sound upset.

Its a great game, appreciate it. Now with restart, its even better (to some people)!

The tone of the post was meant to be playful. I do not really want to slap all of you.

Didn't it used to save your setting w/ regards to custom soundtracks vs original? It seems to be resetting it to original every time I restart now :(

Threi

notag
C4Lukins said:
:lol

Wizpig

C4Lukins said:
Burnout Revenge was the death of a great franchise.
Paradise is a great game and the rebirth of a great franchise.
As for GAF users over-hyping games... lots of worse examples out there, don't use Burnout Paradise.

When they introduced the Day - Night cycle into the game I played it at night once then set it at constant midday (couldn't turn off the fog/mist though :( )

But playing it now since 1.6 and I need to drive at night with the Bikes and it's amazing, so much better, maybe I actually prefer the night driving (fewer cars unless that's just a bike thing, and nice blur in your headlights)

C4Lukins said:
:lol I repurchased it due to wanting to giving it more of a chance after being very disappointed with the direction of the game near launch. (I really don't care for driving to challenges and races and would prefer optional direct access to them via a list and I fucking despise the cutaway scenes for every takedown and their coupled auto-drive during them which tends to save you from wrecks that should happen. That last element really destroys the uninterrupted tension and contiguous feeling of chaos during a race that Burnout 1 & 2 nailed.) Still, the game is impressively added to, in terms of value, but my fundamental issues remain. As someone who considers Burnout 2 to be the pinnacle of the series for overall feel, BP is still a great game...just not the Burnout I want and crave.

Nikorasu

ZeMMiK said:
Got the ultimate pack this weekend, like it so far...it took me 2 hrs to understand how to win a race and don´t get lost...

Don't feel too bad. It wasn't until I got my actual burnout license that I realized there were flashing indicators telling you where to turn off.

BlindMonkey said:
How are you still alive?

With all these people still asking how you restart, I'd have expected Liver failure for sure, :D
How is restrt formed? How caer get reeset? :lol

I'm reserving restarts for burning routes until I get the last ten events on my elite license.

Aladuf

Banned
It's weird seeing the Burnout thread have a different title.. I also agree that it should say "press right on the d-pad" at the end too. Mar has to be drunk off his ass right now after these past few days following the update. :lol

toneroni

im sure its been asked before and maybe even by me :lol
but uhhh which version is generally the better one for us multiplats?

MightyHedgehog said:
I fucking despise the cutaway scenes for every takedown and their coupled auto-drive during them which tends to save you from wrecks that should happen. That last element really destroys the uninterrupted tension and contiguous feeling of chaos during a race that Burnout 1 & 2 nailed.)
This is technically a fix for Burnout Legends, and something that still crept into Revenge: When you do take someone out, your car was uncontrolled for the 2-3 seconds, and more often or not, you would crash because of traffic or walls, in which you could have avoided if you have complete control over the car.

Yeah, this auto-correction in paradise is too heavy handed. But still better than the other option,

Aladuf

Banned
toneroni said:
Oh hey there buddy. :D

Both versions are nearly identical performance wise with the slight advantage going to the PS3, also PS3 tends to get more little additions and such with updates. PSN version is arguably the best though because Burnout is the perfect game to have sitting on your HDD. You can't go wrong either way though.

AlphaTwo00 said:
This is technically a fix for Burnout Legends, and something that still crept into Revenge: When you do take someone out, your car was uncontrolled for the 2-3 seconds, and more often or not, you would crash because of traffic or walls, in which you could have avoided if you have complete control over the car.
Refinement or not, I dislike having the 'feature' foisted on me. It completely cripples the psychological experience of an intense race when forcing the player to sit there with their thumb up their ass waiting to have control again. I don't need to sit there and be forced to appreciate Criterion's nice car crashes in slow mo potentially every few seconds. Real-time control, motherfuckers. Give it back to me.

Yeah, this auto-correction in paradise is too heavy handed. But still better than the other option,
I prefer the original option: no cutaways. Uninterrupted racing>cinematic for every player-initiated takedown. The in-race crash element was better done without stroking itself off in fucking slo-mo for the player all the time. The aggregate effect of crashes piling up in the player's mind adds a serious tension that is lost every time the game blows its load for every cutaway. Ugh. I've repeated my problems with post-BO2 games enough, I think.

toneroni

Aladuf said:
Oh hey there buddy. :D

Both versions are nearly identical performance wise with the slight advantage going to the PS3, also PS3 tends to get more little additions and such with updates. PSN version is arguably the best though because Burnout is the perfect game to have sitting on your HDD. You can't go wrong either way though.
Thats true, I may just go with the PSN download instead of disc.
Thanks for the info! =]

Pimpbaa

toneroni said:

PS3 loads a lot faster. And I seemed to remember the 360 versions framerate dropping more during heavy action.

Diablohead said:
Does anyone think a new Road Rash should be like paradise city? just with combat added and cops.
I had a feeling that the Bikes were initially a test to see how Road Rash would have worked.
Pimpbaa said:
PS3 loads a lot faster. And I seemed to remember the 360 versions framerate dropping more during heavy action.
PSN loads slightly faster than 360 with Install option.

After the recent patches, I have yet to see the game run any different on 360 vs PSN. In the earliest version the 360 did have some slight stutter on the jump at the north end of the beach.

Visualante said:
Wasn't Criterion rumoured to be working on such a game? Was it Surfer Girl?
Oh I seriously hope this is true, apart from the old megadrive games Road Rash 3D was great fun and the first game which introduced me to an overall world which streamed in real time, if it was in the distance you could drive to it.

Such good memories.

Pimpbaa

AlphaTwo00 said:
I had a feeling that the Bikes were initially a test to see how Road Rash would have worked.PSN loads slightly faster than 360 with Install option.

After the recent patches, I have yet to see the game run any different on 360 vs PSN. In the earliest version the 360 did have some slight stutter on the jump at the north end of the beach.

I had the 360 version installed. It still took forever to load (and this is compared to the disc version of Burnout Paradise on PS3). And I also had the patch just before the recent one and it slowed down quite a bit more during road rage events. I guess there could have been something wrong with my 360 copy of the game or something wrong with my hard drive. But ever other game is fine.

jett

D-Member
Pimpbaa said:

Dunno about the 360 edition but on the PS3 the framerate never ever dips during gameplay.

Pimpbaa

jett said:
Dunno about the 360 edition but on the PS3 the framerate never ever dips during gameplay.

I've seen very slight dips during more intense action, but otherwise very smooth 99% of the time.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Mar_ said:
TDU had an excellent navigation system. It was almost impossible to get lost in that game once you'd set a way point.

Unfortunately, BP's navigation system is one of the worst in any driving game. It's pretty much the only part of the game that they didn't deliver on. However, I heard that there was nothing they could do about it. Apparently there's licensing issues regarding navigating with arrows, routes and markers.

:lol

I support this idea.

So this game having the worst most unplayable navigation system of any racing game ever made is because of patents?
They couldn't find some freaking way around a patented arrow? :lol A finger, a sign, anything?

...eh anyways, if anyone is looking for a deal on this, it's $15 a Circuit City. Finally bought this game & hope restarts offset the frustration of the crap navigation.

FTWer said:
They couldn't find some freaking way around a patented arrow? :lol A finger, a sign, anything?
Simpsons Road Rage had the finger, they were promptly sued by Sega (who owns the "arrow hovering over the car/around the car/side of map" for Crazy Taxi).

AlphaTwo00 said:
Simpsons Road Rage had the finger, they were promptly sued by Sega (who owns the "arrow hovering over the car/around the car/side of map" for Crazy Taxi).
So what happened to Take 2/Rockstar for their path generator on its map waypoint system/mini-map feature in GTA IV? Nothing, I'm guessing. Sounds completely silly, this legal bit over the implementation of such a feature.

jts

...hate me...
FTWer said:
Well, they found something. See my next quote.
Nikorasu said:
Don't feel too bad. It wasn't until I got my actual burnout license that I realized there were flashing indicators telling you where to turn off.

MightyHedgehog said:
So what happened to Take 2/Rockstar for their path generator on its map waypoint system/mini-map feature? Nothing, I'm guessing. Sounds completely silly, this legal bit over the implementation of such a feature.
I won't be surprised that if they own it. :lol

clemenx

Banned
Got this yesterday for PC, i'm soo hooked. I first i didn't liked the openness of the world for races but i love it now, though i still get lost sometimes.
I discovered how to restart an event own my own :D

wii_HD

Neo Member
Pimpbaa said:
I've seen very slight dips during more intense action, but otherwise very smooth 99% of the time.

The frame drops only occur during online play with around four or more players in the complex inner city or approaching inner city on the Interstate 88.

Plus drops occur in some areas while moving the camera usually when other vehicles are visable.

Saying that though - the last update seems to have improved the game engine somewhat - less frame drops in the problem areas and a greater draw distance in places.

Its a fantastic engine otherwise.

BlindMonkey said:
When they introduced the Day - Night cycle into the game I played it at night once then set it at constant midday (couldn't turn off the fog/mist though :( )

But playing it now since 1.6 and I need to drive at night with the Bikes and it's amazing, so much better, maybe I actually prefer the night driving (fewer cars unless that's just a bike thing, and nice blur in your headlights)
Set it to your timezone FTW! :D

Mar

BlindMonkey said:
How are you still alive?

With all these people still asking how you restart, I'd have expected Liver failure for sure, :D

Aladuf said:
It's weird seeing the Burnout thread have a different title.. I also agree that it should say "press right on the d-pad" at the end too. Mar has to be drunk off his ass right now after these past few days following the update. :lol

Nah, I can't participate in this drinking game unfortunately. Had a bucks night on the weekend and over did my alcohol intake. On the plus side, there was lots of boobs.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
FTWer said:
So this game having the worst most unplayable navigation system of any racing game ever made is because of patents?

...eh anyways, if anyone is looking for a deal on this, it's $15 a Circuit City. Finally bought this game & hope restarts offset the frustration of the crap navigation.

I don't know if you played it since the latest patch, but now the blinking street signs telling you where to go are much much easier to see without staring at the signs. I never take my eyes off the road and can see the blinking signs without issue now.

Actually, since the latest patch the game seems much easier to me because I feel like I can see everything much better. I haven't had a chance to use the restart function yet.

Struct09

AlphaTwo00 said:
Basically, if you own both platforms, pick the one with more friends that are willing to play with you.

Agreed with this. I initially rented and played through the game on the 360, and now own it on PS3. I have yet to really notice any differences, and kind of wish I would have bought it for 360 instead due to friends and personal controller preference.

Top Bottom