• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

did the party pack reset all the smashes and billboards? Mine are all back and its kind annoying because I only had a few left to do and now it totally drives me nuts.

evil costanza said:
did the party pack reset all the smashes and billboards? Mine are all back and its kind annoying because I only had a few left to do and now it totally drives me nuts.
PS3? Because it did that for me too. Its super annoying.

Kryten

I spent two hours last night trying to mop up the remaining smashes I had left - I gave up after midnight, sitting on 395/400 (1 in Harbour Town, 4 in Downtown). I'm sure the dev's are mocking me :(

FightyF

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
I had the 360 version installed. It still took forever to load (and this is compared to the disc version of Burnout Paradise on PS3). And I also had the patch just before the recent one and it slowed down quite a bit more during road rage events. I guess there could have been something wrong with my 360 copy of the game or something wrong with my hard drive. But ever other game is fine.

The same issue exists with Halo 3 because it caches to the HDD. It seems that it's faster to go with the DVD without an install because it can deal with both at the same time. When you install it, and it refers to the gamedata AND cache you'll slow things down.

I never had my smashes and billboards reset after buying the party pack.

crispyben

evil costanza said:
Blu_LED said:
PS3? Because it did that for me too. Its super annoying.

Are you sure they've been reset? The new smashed billboards look just like the intact ones, only with a brown, non-flickering part in the middle, so I can see how it would be confusing.

Also, playing the Party Pack does indeed reset all billboards and gates afterwards, but I think/hope it only happens if you're 100% on them already...

jts

...hate me...
Note to self: don't get the party pack before getting 100% on smashes and billboards :lol

I'm now at about 12 wins, 1 mugshot and 1 invite to a friend away from getting the Platinum trophy :D

A bit easy getting Platinum on this game don't you think? You only have to complete a small percentage of a lot of events, don't have to get all the cars, smash all the billboards etc. You don't even have to get all the in-game achievements (I don't remember how they're called). Usually in other games you have to do every-fucking-thing to get Platinum.

This patch was pure bliss. Such a small thing but it really got me back into the game.

crispyben

jts said:
A bit easy getting Platinum on this game don't you think? You only have to complete a small percentage of a lot of events, don't have to get all the cars, smash all the billboards etc. You don't even have to get all the in-game achievements (I don't remember how they're called). Usually in other games you have to do every-fucking-thing to get Platinum.
The Trophy patch was released in September 2008, meaning most early adopters had already (almost) completed the game, and since trophies were not retroactive, they made them easier than the achievements so that they could be earned without finishing the game 100%.

Roxas

evil costanza said:

Same thing happened to me, but i just restarted my PS3, booted up BP again and they were back to normal.

Sectus

Okay, stunt events just went from unbelievably hard to pathetically easy.

It's always been the event I struggled the most with (I probably only completed 2 or 3 of them), and it just seemed impossible to get that many points within 1 and a half minutes after starting in a bad spot on the map. Well, that all changed once I learned you can just tap the boost now and then to make a stunt combo which pretty much lasts forever.

Is that how it's supposed to be played? It kinda breaks the entire event as the timer and start location suddenly doesn't matter at all. On the other hand, it did seem impossible to get a high score quickly on bad locations.

Edit: Also, thank god for event retry. I'm really glad I dropped the game after getting to A license and continued after the patch was released. Being able to instantly retry helps so much and drastically reduces the amount of downtime. Ironically, it also helps me to learn the map since I can quickly drive on the same road over and over.

Sectus said:

It's always been the event I struggled the most with (I probably only completed 2 or 3 of them), and it just seemed impossible to get that many points within 1 and a half minutes after starting in a bad spot on the map. Well, that all changed once I learned you can just tap the boost now and then to make a stunt combo which pretty much lasts forever.

Is that how it's supposed to be played? It kinda breaks the entire event as the timer and start location suddenly doesn't matter at all. On the other hand, it did seem impossible to get a high score quickly on bad locations.
I find the timer can be abused too much too, even reversing will reset the pie. The count down does speed up over time but by the time it's a threat you are 6+ minutes into a run with quad the score you require to pass, so yes it's fairly broken imo.

hirokazu

Restarting events is probably the best patch ever. Not that all the other free stuff they've added in the various updates aren't any good.

This is the way updates and DLC should be done.

hirokazu said:
Restarting events is probably the best patch ever. Not that all the other free stuff they've added in the various updates aren't any good.

This is the way updates and DLC should be done.

Yep, for me it really allows for taking risks that may or may not pan out and if they dont just restart. Awesome addition!

crispyben

Sectus said:

It's been that way long before this update, possibly since the beginning. The designated time is just the limit under which you must start your final combo, i.e. you can't crash after that. What they did change is the speed with which the timer pie goes down. It's much slower now, except online for some reason. Reversing always reset it, as did drifting or smashing a gate.

Ramenman

Thanks whoever changed the thread title, however it doesn't prevent people from coming in just to ask how to actually restart races every 10 posts, which was why a title change was requested in the first place :p

Sectus said:

Edit: Also, thank god for event retry. I'm really glad I dropped the game after getting to A license and continued after the patch was released. Being able to instantly retry helps so much and drastically reduces the amount of downtime. Ironically, it also helps me to learn the map since I can quickly drive on the same road over and over.
Yup. Stunt run has always been like that. Which is why I never got why people had problems with it.

Returners

crispyben said:
Are you sure they've been reset? The new smashed billboards look just like the intact ones, only with a brown, non-flickering part in the middle, so I can see how it would be confusing.

Also, playing the Party Pack does indeed reset all billboards and gates afterwards, but I think/hope it only happens if you're 100% on them already...

They actually reset. But when you reload the game again, everything will be as it is.

crispyben

AlphaTwo00 said:
Wait. So every car is going to have a Cops version? AWESOME. I'm seeing at least 6 different cars in those screens already with the police badgeing.

So, the images are available in higher resolution, what do we have here?

Hunter Cavalry
Kitano Touge
Montgomery GT 2400
Kitano Hydros or Nakamura SI-7
Nakamura Ikusa

Will all the cars have a PCPD version? :D (well, except for the Krieger PCPD Special and the Hunter Citizen)

Within the last week, I've now clocked in an additional 10+ hours on the 360, and got a PSN and have clocked in another 15+ hours. God damn.

One thing I'm still wondering, will there be more bike events coming? It seems odd that
a)There are only 4 bikes, but a whole menu for it
b)Only 40 events. And none of them with real racing in it.

This also got me thinking: now that Bikes have day and night events, is there anything that's stopping them from making a new add-on that doubles the number of events for night?

epmode

bridegur said:
I'd like a patch to remove the stunt/jump camera. It's a drag.
I agree. At least for stunts that have already been cleared.

That + the slow-mo crash cam are my biggest problems with the game ATM. It's pretty rad otherwise (<3<3<3 RESTART <3<3<3)

I'd like a sequel. Have they ever gone on record as saying when one may come out?

I want the be able to save crash replays like in Skate and have them viewable in a web browser. Plus, you know...have a whole new city to explore.

Returners

AlphaTwo00 said:
Within the last week, I've now clocked in an additional 10+ hours on the 360, and got a PSN and have clocked in another 15+ hours. God damn.

One thing I'm still wondering, will there be more bike events coming? It seems odd that
a)There are only 4 bikes, but a whole menu for it
b)Only 40 events. And none of them with real racing in it.

This also got me thinking: now that Bikes have day and night events, is there anything that's stopping them from making a new add-on that doubles the number of events for night?

Bike pack incoming?

Doubling Car Events at night will probably borderline frustration for me. Too much things to do!

Haeleos

bridegur said:
I'd like a patch to remove the stunt/jump camera. It's a drag.

And an option to remove the takedown camera too. I hate the auto adjust security blanket shit it does to compensate for it. Road Rage is way too easy as it is. There should at least be an option to remove all these glory cams to make it play like it does online.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The thing about the crash and takedown cameras that sucks for me, is that I play on MacbookPro so I have motion blur turned off. So whenever it goes into the already annoying slow motion shot, there is the added annoyance of pausing for a split second and then runs it at a lower framerate because you can't take motion blur off for those sequences.

I'd love to see a new bike pack, and if possible bike racing against the cpu instead of time trial runs.

Do bikes work online btw? and can you race others? I ask this because I can't connect to xbl a university.

TheGreatDave said:
I'd like a sequel. Have they ever gone on record as saying when one may come out?

I want the be able to save crash replays like in Skate and have them viewable in a web browser. Plus, you know...have a whole new city to explore.
you and your disc-based games. First GH, now Burnout? :/

tidus9000

Is there any way to turn off your mic on the PC version? my laptop speakers can be loud and i can see the icon next to my name showing that i'm broadcasting sound. So it must be seriously annoying for anyone playing with me.

Ramenman

Diablohead said:
Do bikes work online btw? and can you race others? I ask this because I can't connect to xbl a university.

Yep for online, actually that's the only interesting thing to do with bikes, as billboards/smashes are removed and there are only time trials to do with them offline.

No races for now.

Congrats on not releasing this on Steam, EA. Also, it's pretty awesome that your online store seems to think that the only countries that exist in North America are the USA and Canada. High five!

Doodis

Quick question from a Burnout noob:
Does the Ultimate Box have anything different than the regular version besides the party play? Just trying to figure out which version I should pick up. I don't care about the party play feature very much, so I'm just wondering why I should spend the extra $20 instead of getting the regular version. Is there any other paid DLC included?

Oreoleo

crispyben said:
I-88 tollbooth is a classic. Playing on PS3? Go to www.burnoutteamrocks.com

Hah, yeah. That was the last one I found too. Road rage I think it was??

After owning the game for over a year, I finally found the last of the gate smashes yesterday. Got the billboards and jumps back in December. Now I just gotta do all the Showtimes and Road Rules. God bless Criterion. Now give us Road Rash!

crispyben

Doodis said:
Quick question from a Burnout noob:
Does the Ultimate Box have anything different than the regular version besides the party play? Just trying to figure out which version I should pick up. I don't care about the party play feature very much, so I'm just wondering why I should spend the extra $20 instead of getting the regular version. Is there any other paid DLC included?
Nope, just the Party Pack and the free DLC on one handy DVD/BD...

Doodis

crispyben said:
Nope, just the Party Pack and the free DLC on one handy DVD/BD...
Cool, thanks. Guess I'll pick up the cheaper version since the party pack isn't for me, and I can always download it later if I want to.

Top Bottom