• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Mistouze said:
How long did you play the game? If it's a short period, give it some time to get used to the city and start knowing a few of the important places. Just go have fun across the map looking for jumps, shortcuts and billboards. Going online to do challenges help me a lot too.

I definitely need to play more and give it a fair chance but it is frustrating to be racing and make one screw up and suddenly lose the race. The game is definitely a technical marvel and I want to give it a fair shake though.
Oddly enough I don't remember having this problem in Test Drive Unlimited (another game I loved) for some reason. I can't really understand why though since I haven't played that game in a very long time.

Ramenman

Stoney Mason said:
Fun engine but everytime I play this game I have the same issue. It's very difficult for me to recognize turn offs and respond to them in time even with the left or right indicator at the top of the screen. My eyes end up glued to that or trying to spot the turns on the map therefore I can't concentrate on the racing. No way could I have played this game without the retry option.

Play the online freeburn challenges. And if you don't want to go online for fear of having a shit car compared to others, just go online with the bikes.

That's how I learnt the city, and if I had known it would help that much in that regard I would have done it sooner in my playthrough.

Still, if you press "back" it pauses the game and brings up the big map.

M3wThr33

Banned
Nikorasu said:
Holy crap. I just got nearly $300 million in a single showtime. Over 1000 cars smashed and about 60 buses. It took like half an hour. It got to the point where I just had to stop.

I didn't even get an achievement for it. What a gyp. :(
It's times like that when the game just amazes me. There's SO much to do.

Time trials, showtime, marked man, road rage, jumps, billboards/smashes, races, freeburn, burning routes. I mean, they're all different, too.

Ramenman

Stoney Mason said:
it is frustrating to be racing and make one screw up and suddenly lose the race.

I totally agree with you, and it happened to me even in the end when the "path issues" had disappeared from the game.
There's still the last-10-seconds crash, that will have you cry in pain. Especially when a car crashing right before you "sends" a traffic car on you.

Like, the traffic car totally goes ON you, which makes it impossible to dodge at the speed you're driving.

UGH.

Sean

Banned
AlphaTwo00 said:
I won't put a lot of weight on that. Burnout is a much much bigger title for Europe, and those NPD numbers won't do much for that.

Hope you're right, this game really deserves to be a million seller on both platforms. To see it top out at just 600k combined after 11 months in the US (after the universal acclaim, great word of mouth, all the free dlc, etc) kinda irks me a bit.

Stoney Mason said:
I definitely need to play more and give it a fair chance but it is frustrating to be racing and make one screw up and suddenly lose the race. The game is definitely a technical marvel and I want to give it a fair shake though.
Oddly enough I don't remember having this problem in Test Drive Unlimited (another game I loved) for some reason. I can't really understand why though since I haven't played that game in a very long time.

A tip for the races: there's probably about six or so major landmarks in the game (wildcats stadium, lone stallion ranch, naval yard, country club, observatory, etc) and that's where almost all of the races either start or finish at. Learning where (and how) to get to those areas and the shortcuts around them etc will help you out big time.

I also recommend going online first and doing some of the freeburn challenges. Most of them are very easy and the Burnout community is very nice and laid back (so don't worry about not being good enough or anything). Just drive around and follow the other players etc, it'll really help you learn the city layout without frustrating you.

I have made huge screw ups in long races only to win, the game is built so well you do not need to restart on your first mistake, even if you drive the wrong way for a few roads, but it depends now that I am on my A license things are harder but still I only restart if I lose overall, I fight until the very end!

Because of the new restart feature I worry that some of you restart the moment you get nudged by the cpu or hit traffic, imo a lot of the fun in this game is to fight back, and there is some kind of rubber band a.i anyway so all is not lost.

holy shit playing this with a pure classical soundtrack it fucking EPIC. just do urselfs a favor and turn everything else off. set the music to 11 and sound effects to 4. beautiful.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Diablohead said:
I have made huge screw ups in long races only to win, the game is built so well you do not need to restart on your first mistake, even if you drive the wrong way for a few roads, but it depends now that I am on my A license things are harder but still I only restart if I lose overall, I fight until the very end!

The invicibility window you get when you smash an opponent plus the refill of your boost bar contributes to being able to get back in the race. I just wish it was the same for Marked Man events...

Everdred

MobiusPigeon said:
well you'd think it'd be an option when you... you know... press start?
Thank god thats not true, the start menu takes forever to load for me (PSN version), but it was my initial thought too.

FightyF

Banned
SnakeXs said:
For the record I'm not angry, I'd just love to see that as the title. :p

I think it would be a great idea because not many who passed up on the game realize that it was patched in. I told my bro and he didn't know it was patched in (he didn't even know about the patched in Day/Night cycle).

And the lack of that definitely hurt sales of the game...if you remember the initial backlash. I'm sure it even turned people off when they played the demo.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
FightyF said:
And the lack of that definitely hurt sales of the game...if you remember the initial backlash. I'm sure it even turned people off when they played the demo.

Well that was one of the things that turned me off from the demo, but a $19.99 price tag with restarts is enough for me to bite.

I feel sorry for you Americans who only have the ultimate box for PC, one of the best pick-ups I have ever brought for under £30 new, so much content :eek:

Mar

Stoney Mason said:

TDU had an excellent navigation system. It was almost impossible to get lost in that game once you'd set a way point.

Unfortunately, BP's navigation system is one of the worst in any driving game. It's pretty much the only part of the game that they didn't deliver on. However, I heard that there was nothing they could do about it. Apparently there's licensing issues regarding navigating with arrows, routes and markers.

SnakeXs said:
The Official Burnout Paradise Thread of Press Right on the Goddamned Dpad

:lol

I support this idea.

MobiusPigeon said:
holy shit playing this with a pure classical soundtrack it fucking EPIC. just do urselfs a favor and turn everything else off. set the music to 11 and sound effects to 4. beautiful.
I love it when you leave the game idling, your car shuts off, and that classical music starts playing (I don't know the name of the piece). I hate interrupting it, when I'm ready to start my engine. I don't recall hearing that piece, while cycling through the in-game music, but I've always wanted to actually play to it, instead of only hearing it after stepping away to do something.

Mar

George Claw M.D. said:
I love it when you leave the game idling, your car shuts off, and that classical music starts playing (I don't know the name of the piece). I hate interrupting it, when I'm ready to start my engine. I don't recall hearing that piece, while cycling through the in-game music, but I've always wanted to actually play to it, instead of only hearing it after stepping away to do something.

You can set it to play the classical tracks in game since... A number of patches ago.

Also, this reminds me of something kind of embarrassing. For a few months last year I got addicted to cooking. Every Sunday I'd make this elaborate meal, then my wife and I would eat it in candle light. The embarrassing part is we never had any classical music on CD. So instead I'd start up Burnout Paradise, make the car idle, plug in the play and charge kit (so the controller wouldn't go to sleep and stop the music), and we'd eat our fancy dinner to the music.

See, Burnout Paradise just keeps on delivering.

Mar_ said:
Also, this reminds me of something kind of embarrassing. For a few months last year I got addicted to cooking. Every Sunday I'd make this elaborate meal, then my wife and I would eat it in candle light. The embarrassing part is we never had any classical music on CD. So instead I'd start up Burnout Paradise, make the car idle, plug in the play and charge kit (so the controller wouldn't go to sleep and stop the music), and we'd eat our fancy dinner to the music.
:D :D :D :D

Lince

Banned
Mar_ said:

so awesome :lol :lol :lol

Mar_ said:
Unfortunately, BP's navigation system is one of the worst in any driving game. It's pretty much the only part of the game that they didn't deliver on. However, I heard that there was nothing they could do about it. Apparently there's licensing issues regarding navigating with arrows, routes and markers.
Not licensing issues, patent issues.

We all know that the pointed arrow in an open world is patented by Sega. I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that rotating map in a sandbox open world game, and the "glowing tower of light" that is employed in Midnight Club LA is also patented.

Mar_ said:
You can set it to play the classical tracks in game since... A number of patches ago.

That's awesome!

Also, thanks. Yeah. I obviously haven't explored the audio selection options very thoroughly, aside from cycling through the tracks, until I hear a tune I like. I'll definitely explore it, now, though.

Mar_ said:

This is hands down the funniest thing I have read today.

Sean

Banned
CurseoftheGods said:
How do you set it to play classical music? Is that done by pressing Right too?

Just stop your car and be idle (don't move your car). After about a minute or so it kicks into a screensaver type mode that pans a camera around the city and plays classical music.

Mar

CurseoftheGods said:
How do you set it to play classical music? Is that done by pressing Right too?

Pause menu. In there somewhere is the track list. Maybe EA Trax? Then you can turn on and off all the tracks in the game.

ascii42

MobiusPigeon said:
Agreed, Moonlight Sonata is the perfect backdrop to everything. Especially Road Rage.

Wizpig

Mar_ said:

I think post-patch the game alternates between in-game and classical music even when you are idle =(
Before, you only needed to make the car idle once, as you said.

Wizpig

ascii42 said:
Agreed, Moonlight Sonata is the perfect backdrop to everything. Especially Road Rage.
Yeah, but sound effects are so annoying... and they reset every time you shut off the game now :/

At first I thought the party pack was not that great of an idea, for some reason what I visioned in my head was different than what it really is. I watched the CrashTV Podcast on it and showed my fiance and she said it looked fun so I bought it and it is a blast. Lots of fun.

Also for buying, you get like 7 of the easiest trophies out there for you trophy whores.

This is my favorite racing game ever. This game didnt click at first but if you give it time, it will grab you and never lets go. Great job Criterion.

KingGondo

Banned
I really really want to like this game (loved Burnout 3), but if I hear, "Yo, this is DJ Atomica, signing off!" one more time I'm going to murder something.

DJ Atomica can go straight to hell.

I think arrow guidance would ruin the feel of burnout, but I love how your car/bike uses it's indicators when approaching a key corner you need to take, you can even hear the indicator clicking like in a real car :lol So awesome!

In the ultimate box classical music is enabled for the regular play list be default.

Also, patent's on domes of light and arrows in an open world? FFS how lame can people get with stuff like this :/

Ramenman

KingGondo said:
I really really want to like this game (loved Burnout 3), but if I hear, "Yo, this is DJ Atomica, signing off!" one more time I'm going to murder something.

DJ Atomica can go straight to hell.

So what if you really really want to shut her off via the options ?

I know I did.

C4Lukins

So, I hate all of you for getting me excited about the game, with all of the new updates, and then quickly realizing it still sucks after repurchasing it and downloading the DLC. I do not know what is wrong with you people, but congrats on continuing the myth that this game is anything more then then the death of a great franchise. I would like to physically slap each and every one of you.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
10 bucks might be a bit much, but the Party Pack is pretty cool, lots of variety in challenges it seems... some have cool conditions, like gas and boost being stuck to on while having to having to navigate a particular stretch of road then landing a super jump.

crispyben

C4Lukins said:
So, I hate all of you for getting me excited about the game, with all of the new updates, and then quickly realizing it still sucks after repurchasing it and downloading the DLC. I do not know what is wrong with you people, but congrats on continuing the myth that this game is anything more then then the death of a great franchise. I would like to physically slap each and every one of you.
Be my guest.

Mar_ said:
Pause menu. In there somewhere is the track list. Maybe EA Trax? Then you can turn on and off all the tracks in the game.

How are you still alive?

With all these people still asking how you restart, I'd have expected Liver failure for sure, :D

Top Bottom